Unavoidable Truth

Falling

I fall into an uneasy doze, drifting from one nightmare to another. The nurses are monitoring me hourly, shining lights into my eyes, and checking my blood pressure and body temperature in case any complications arising again. I open my eyes slowly to find Kim Minseok sitting next to my bed and blink, wondering if this is part of the dream. Then he speaks. 

"Hello, pretty. How are you?" 

I struggle to a sitting position. 

"A bit dizzy. But, I've been better." 

"Good. Because it hurts my heart to see you with these horrible machines." He gives a slight kick to the monitor beside him and continues. "Bad machines, she's mine. Out of my sight, as soon as possible, you brat." 

I laugh, a proper gurgling laugh. It is the first real laugh I've had in days. Kim Minseok grins, the dimple flashing in his cheek. 

"Oh, shut up, Minseok Oppa." 

"Sounds like a beautiful song to me." He says. 

"What?" 

"Minseok oppa. Minseok oppa. Sounds good. Great. Heaven it feels!" 

I shut my eyes briefly. Kim Minseok is exhausting. 

"Seriously, gumawo." I turn my eyes to him as he smiles softly. 

"Whatever for?" 

"Thank you for opening yourself to me. I want us to be friends, seriously. I like you. And your enormous white cast." He leans forward, his eyes bright. I let out a small laugh for his jokes. 

"Welcome," I reply. "And thank you, for helping me last time." 

"Helping you? Ah, that time? No big deal, love. I'm proud to be your savior anyway." He grins, showing his white teeth.

"I have to go for now. But don't worry, girlfriend. Will be back tomorrow. See you!" He leans forward and without much warning he plants his lips on my cheek. 

I stagger back. "Wh-what are you doing?" 

"Recharging." He simply answer. 

I lean back on my pillow as he dashes away. Despite what I respond to him, he actually makes me feel better. Obviously I am still awkward being around him, but I cannot help liking Kim Minseok. 

Just a little bit. 

"Yah, I got a call from the nurse last night saying that you were collapsed again but I couldn't make it I had to help Oemma with her restaurant and it's getting late I'm really sorry," Min Kyung comes into the room and her hands are busy checking on body temperature. I smile softly to her.

"Genchana, Min Kyung-ah. I'm okay now. Jinjja." I say. I can see the relief look from her face when she finally sits on the chair and let out a sigh. 

"That's a relief," She says. "Oemma prepares you a packed lunch. This time it should be rice with chicken soup." 

She takes out a packed lunch from her backpack, and passes it to me. "Say thanks to Omunim, Min Kyung. She cares about me a lot." I say, eyes on the warm, healthy chicken soup. 

"Everyone cares about you. Oemma, me, Jongin-ssi, Oh Seh-," I glance at Min Kyung, realizing that she doesn't finish her sentences, it seems like she's choking on her own words. "Uh, erm, bo go. It should be eaten while the soup is still warm, Oemma said that." 

I realize that Min Kyung hasn't said a word about Oh Sehun, and she seems distracted now. I know she's trying to avoid mentioning about him. 

"Min Kyung? Can I ask you a question?" She stops folding the comforter to smile at me. "Do you know anything about Oh Sehun?" I eye her skeptically. 

Her smile falters for a second. "Wh-what about him?" 

"Anything about him. He keeps pooping up to talk to me but he's being mysterious. You mentioned his name a few times before." 

Her lips look bloodless the way they're tucked into her teeth. I get the feeling she really doesn't want to talk about this, and that leaves me wondering if she knows something about Oh Sehun that she's not telling me. 

"Min Kyung?" 

"He needs something from you if he keeps showing himself like that. Find out what it is." Then she walks out the room, using the  reason she needs to go to the restroom. 

*****

Two weeks after, the doctors and the physio are happy that I can get about okay on crutches, and have booked me in for a follow up appointment at the fracture clinic for fifteen days' time, I am free to go and hobble down the corridor with Min Kyung and Kim Jongin. Kim Minseok also helps me a lot. He cheers me up, and sending flower bouquets almost everyday. But Oh Sehun, I never see him since I was fainted last time. 

Sitting in the car, watching through the window as Jongin's personal driver drives back towards Seoul, I feel as if a new page in my life is turning, a new chapter starting. Part one, my childhood and Appa, was long over. Part two, my life with bloody Cha Geun Seok, was almost closed. I got the information from Min Kyung that my step brother has been caught by the police for abusing. And now part three, about to begin but I have no idea what it will bring. 

"Oemma and I did some cleaning at your new house last weekend, I hope you will like it, Y/N -ah," She says, a smile on her face. 

I nod my head, feeling grateful. On her lap, Min Kyung is holding a box of clean linen and food that she put together for me. I want to weep myself at the kindness Min Kyung had shown to me. She is the nicest person I ever meet, the most thoughtful friend. 

"Thank you so much, Min Kyung. And Jongin too. I feel terrible because I always give you guys trouble. I am so sorry about that." I say, my voice wobbling.
 
"Don't be daft," Min Kyung says. "Honestly, it's fine." 

"Let us know if you need anything." Says Jongin, as we go out to the car. 

When we arrive, a few maids come out to help carry my belongings through my new home. The house is down at the bottom of the garden, almost hidden from view behind a large spreading pine tree. 

"Ta - da!" Says Min Kyung as she unlocks the door and shows us in. "So what do you think? Nice, right?" 

Kim Jongin let me enters first, awkwardly on my crutches. My first impressions are ones of pleasant surprise. What I see is a small house with a bedroom, complete with loo and shower, with a small kitchen and living space at the front. It is all on one level, as if it is specially designed for a person who is getting used to crutches like me, and has been freshly painted with soft pink. 

The kitchen is small and plain, with a few sets of white crockery and some cutlery on the spotless work surface. The living area is more homely, with a few comfortable pillows, a rug, and a vase of beautiful daffodils. 

"It's beautiful." I say, sagging on my crutches with relief. "But, what about the rent? I-I don't really know how to pay since my leg is like this currently, I d-don't think I will be accepted for any part time job," I say, feeling worried. 

"You don't have to think much about that. This house belongs to someone close to me. He heard about your situation and he's kind enough to let you stay here for the mean time. Then, we'll figure out how to solve the matter about where you want to stay after this, if you're not comfortable here." Kim Jongin says calmly. 

"B-but," 

"Everything will be okay from now on, Y/N." Min Kyung reassures me. 

*****

Min Kyung has taken me back to the fracture clinic for a follow up x-ray and appointment, and the consultant has pronounced himself pleased with the healing process so far, but it is still early days. I hope to make a full recovery by then to start attending school again, but it is difficult to predict. 

I lay my body on the warm pillow, when Min Kyung decides to help me with laundry although I am refusing hard. A few minutes pass when suddenly the phone rings. I blink my daydreams away and press 'Answer'. 

"Hello?" I say into the phone. And I heard a sob. 

"Oh, Thank God. It's me. I'm so glad you finally answer the call." I wake up from bed, feeling confused.

"Wh-who is this?" 

"It's me, Ha No Ra. Your classmate." Another sob, and then the sound of a nose being blown. 

"Oh, mianhae. I don't really remember you, I'm sorry," I say, regretfully. I am still in daze, my memory is still shady I cannot recall everything back yet. 

"Ara so, it's fine. I heard from our classmates about your condition, and erm, your s-step brother," She sounds awkward. "It's all happened too fast. I hope for your speed recovery." 

"Thank you, No Ra." I say. 

"But I didn't call you for this," She says in a rush. "I want to apologize." 

"A-apologize?" 

"I know you probably don't even recognize my face if we meet, but I need to tell you, that I'm sorry." I don't say anything as I'm feeling confused of the situation. "I know it wasn't your fault that day, but Kim Yura's." 

"Ki-Kim Yura?" 

"I saw Yura choked you with her hands, I was there. And you pushed her back because you wanted to protect yourself, not to harm her. I witnessed the truth," Another sobs coming out from . 

"But I was stupid back then. I didn't say anything when Oh Sehun asked you to explain the situation. I was terrified. Kim Yura had the control over our classmates. Everyone seemed to believed her words." Her voice cracking. 

"But I've explained to Oh Sehun already, about everything. I know it might be too late, I finally got the courage, but I hope it helps you guys to get back together again, just like before." 

Get back together?

"Wh-what are you talking about?" 

"Uh, you don't remember anything about Oh Sehun as well? That's a bit weird.. " She says. 

"I know he's one of our classmates-" 

"Classmate? Ani ya, he's your boyfriend." 

"W-wait, I think you're mistaken," 

"Ani, I am not. Everyone knows you guys are in a relationship. You.. don't remember him, do you?" 

No word coming out after that. I have to make my goodbyes and ring off quickly then, because my body begins trembling from the revelation. I grip the handles of my crutches, trying to breathe normally as the panic attack rushes at me, like an enormous wave. 

"Is everything all right?" Min Kyung asks, coming into the living area just then with a bundle of washing. I don't answer, still immobile following the phone call. 

A few seconds after that, I take a deep breath and push myself slowly to my feet. 

"Where are you going? You cannot move around a lot yet," Min Kyung eyed me, with the measuring gaze of a friend who seems to know there's something wrong going on with me. 


"I need to confirm something," I say, hardly move to the front door before Min Kyung stops me. 


"Something is bothering you, right? You look very pale. Go on, it's lovely outside. You take it easy for a while, okay? I'll bring a glass of milk once I've got this clothes in the machine." 


"Min Kyung-ah," I say. 


She turns her body to smile at me. 


"You never told me that I have a boyfriend." 

My heart is thundering. From my glance I can see her bloodless face, looking surprise to my words. And I know Min Kyung is a part of this lie.