Fade

Falling

Chapter 10: Fade

I don’t finish swallow my food when Kim Yura comes and sits opposite to me, hands over the lunch box I prepared earlier for Oh Sehun. 

 

“Take this  back.” She says abruptly. 

 

“It isn’t yours. I made it for Sehun.” I say. She let out a small laugh, pushing the lunch box with her index finger. 

 

“Sehunnie doesn’t eat this kind of  you made for him. Yes, he did, but it was before. Now, he doesn’t even want to look at this, anything that relates to you, monster.” 

 

I’m unable to speak for a second, I’m so shocked. 

 

“Liar.” I say in a small voice. 

 

“You don’t know anything about Sehunnie. I’ve known him since we were five. You might be his flavour of the month, but you’ll never last. Look at you now. I’m the real girl in his life.” 

 

I stare at her, hates boiling inside my stomach. But the look in her eyes makes me realize that she’s not just rude, but a total psycho. Then I see Oh Sehun walks pass by us, hands in the pockets, jamming ear pod into his ears. As he walks, I glance over at Sehun’s face, still smoldering underneath his stony expression. I can see how Kim Yura’s face, as well as her fake manner change when she sees Oh Sehun. 

 

She stands up, and gives me a cold smile. 

 

“I hope you will have a great day, loser.” She turns around and bend down to gives me a soft slap on my cheek, and as she does, her wrist casually swings backward, knocking my full glass of hot chocolate milk over. I just manage to jump up, but not before a good long splash lands on the side of my school uniform, staining the pale white fabric. 

 

“Oh my god, what’s happening?” Kim Yura asks innocently. “It was an accident, right, monster?” 

 

I keep my mouth shut before it draws attention from the kids in the cafeteria, and leave for the restroom. 

 

*****

I try my best focus and pay full attention on the homework, but every single thing about Oh Sehun never stops lingering around my mind. Oh Sehun has barely spoken to me after what happened last two weeks. He just wanders around the classroom and sighing as if I’m getting in his way. His eyes are permanently watering like he’s about to blow the anger inside him, which makes me feel horribly disgusting. 

 

And sad. 

 

“Yah, you daughter of a ! Where are you? Come out now!” 

 

The yelling voices echoed down the hallway into my bedroom, waking me from my thought. The thud thud of running feet, getting closer to my room, making my heart pounds fast as twice as usual. 

 

A chill runs through my spine as I heard Cha Geun Seok’s yelling. It makes me shudder as a freezing cold wind touches my bare skin. My blood run cold and a bead of sweat drip down my face. I hide myself behind the closet, helplessly, not knowing of what to do and too scared to even exhale a breath. 

A minute after he founds me hiding behind the pile of clothes, as he pulls hard my hair, forcing me to follow his steps. He throws his body weight behind the fist that edges closer to my face, it hit my jaw with such force blood pool into my mouth. My body falls on the floor, shivering. 

 

“They said you stop paying for the debt since two months ago, what the hell are you thinking?! You want to die?” I know instantly that my step brother is boiling with anger, knowing that I did not pay for his debt to the loan shark. I am clenching the teeth in an effort to keep the jaw still, eyes to the floor aimlessly. 

 

“Mianhae, oppa. I quit the part time job last month. The-the sa-saving money that I had wasn’t enough to p-pay for your debt, mia-mianhae.. “ 

 

“Jugeullae?!” 

 

He drew his fist back again and it crashes into my stomach as my guts smash together, I can feel my blood vessels bursting. 

 

“You are just a useless , like your Oemma. She walked out from here and left you alone, but having you here don’t help me at all! USELESS!” He throws his leg on my stomach a few times until I cannot breath, the blood coming out from my broken nose. 

 

“Maybe selling you off to the pub can teach you very well, uri dongsaeng.” He threats. 

 

I am breathing all wrong, beginning to gasp like there's not enough oxygen in the air as soon as Cha Geun Seok finishes talking. 

 

“Oppa, ani-aniya, I don’t want to go there.. I will find a job a-and pay the d-debt. O-oppa please.. “ 

 

He comes closer to the weak body of mine, squatting, and gives me a hard slap on my left cheek. “You will get a better pay there, dongsaeng.” Then he leaves the house. 

 

‘You are a ’ 

 

‘You’re useless , just like your Oemma’ 

 

‘... a murderer’s daughter.’ 

 

The small house suddenly feels quiet, and I can feel the warm tears falling down my cheeks. The purple welts are scattered across my abdomen like a disease. It’s hurt for me to breath. 

 

I try to move my body and search for the phone. My knees wobble precariously. I hold the phone in my shaking hands, it feels heavy. I search for a number and sent a text. A short text. 

 

Text to: nae sa-rang Oh Sehun 

Sehun-ya, help me. 

 

I don’t get a reply. 

 


A day after. 

 

Ten minutes later, Oh Sehun’s laying on the floor, with his sweat soaked Nike t shirt revealing more definition on his arms and chest. He must has dozed off for a minute, because when he opens his eyes, someone places a wet towel on his forehead. 

 

“You were working too hard, Sehun.” says a voice beside him. Kim Jongin places a folded towel on the floor, and drops down beside Oh Sehun in his dark blue sport suits. 

 

“I wasn’t.” He answers blankly, throwing away the look at the blue sky. The weather is so nice for another round of basketball game. He manages to maintain the stamina, but strangely his mind is not totally into the strategy on how to win, but it is tangled with Y/N ‘s face. Not to mention about his rudeness towards her. 

 

“So, what’s the situation now?” Kim Jongin asks. After what happened between Oh Sehun, his princess and Kim Yura, Oh Sehun lives aimlessly. He doesn’t eat well, sometimes not sleeping at all, and skip classes. 

 

“I don’t know, Jongin.” Oh Sehun’s eyes fix on the moving clouds, hoping that the messy thoughts in his head can just move along with them. 

 

“I can tell that you like her, I mean you really like her.” There’s a long pause when Jongin continues his speech, after he clears his throat. It is obviously an effort for him to choose the right words for Oh Sehun. 

 

“I know this is none of my business, but Sehun, you treated her rudely last time,” 

 

“Ara,” 

 

“Calling her as a murderer’s daughter, that was harsh. Don’t you think she feel hurt about that? That it was no one else to call her dad as a murderer, but you, her closest friend.” 

 

He doesn’t answer. Oh Sehun closes his eyes for a few seconds, inhaling a deep breath. 

 

“It’s my fault.” 

 

He finally blurts out. Oh Sehun rubs his face, seeming a little tired of the situation. He wakes up, and flopping down cross-legged beside Kim Jongin. 

 

“Aniya, it’s nobody’s fault. Everyone can makes mistake, Sehun ya. This time, I won’t interfere and stop you. Give yourself time to think about this. I know it’s hard, but Kim Yura is not the priority now. What you have to do is to find the truth.” 

 

Kim Jongin gives him a soft pat on the shoulder, leaving him with a deep thought in his messy head. 

 

“If you meet her, tell her that I’m sorry. I’m sorry for being prejudiced. No one deserves to be judged unfairly. Mianhae, Sehun-ya. I hope you will forgive me as well.” 

 

A flicker of guilt flashes over Jongin’s face. Oh Sehun gives him a small, warm smile. 

 

He hopes his princess will forgive him too. 

 

***** 

 

After taking a shower, Oh Sehun goes to the locker room and opens his. In the middle of searching for a clean t shirt, he silently takes his phone beside the arranged books, find the text message he got from his princess yesterday evening. His legs tremble a bit, as he fights with his own feeling. His princess does not reply his text back, it’s worrisome. 

 

Of course. If he thought about it a few times, it’s her choice not to reply. Calling her a murderer’s daughter was harsh enough to hurt her into pieces. Oh Sehun sighs. He rubs his face, feeling disappointed, exhausted. 

 

It’s been two days the locker is empty. It’s full actually, with books, shirts and stuff but a lunch box. 

 

She reaches across him to his far hand, and turns him toward her. “I have something to tell you.” She says in a small voice, almost inaudibly. 

 

“I’m all ears, jagiya. I’m ready. Tell me.” Oh Sehun says, strangely grins. He waits silently, giving her time to search his face: his sharp jawline, his piercing eyes. 

 

“Do you think I want to make a love confession?” She suddenly bursts a question. 

 

“You were not?” 

 

She laughs gleefully, and laughs even harder when she sees the disappointment look from Oh Sehun’s face. Sehun pouts, turn away his back from his princess. She pokes his arms a few times, but Oh Sehun insists to look at her, sulking. 

 

“Sehun-ya,” 

 

No respond. 

 

“Yah, Oh Sehun.” 

 

Silence. 

 

“Nae sarang, Oh Sehun.” She says softly. Oh Sehun cannot help but to grin helplessly. 

 

“Joa hae yo.” She smiles. 

 

His thought disappears as the bell rings. Oh Sehun stares into the empty locker for a long time. He miss everything about her. Her watery eyes, her small lips, her smiles. 

 

Everything.