Trying to understand Eachother

When You're All Alone

WYAA Chapter 10

 

I knew the moment he disappeared that I needed to find him, I honestly never expected him to react that way. I didn’t think he would see it as me trying to get attention or sympathy from them, but from Lay and Sehun’s responses it has to do with his past. But seriously with a power to be wherever you wanted, he could be anywhere in the world and here I am running around in a tank top through a forest hoping for any sign of him. The farther I got from the house and the town the denser the forest got, slowly it began to feel more wild and free. I could feel the eyes of many on me, the people of the forest showing their true forms, usually hidden from the eyes of those who cannot see it.

“What are you searching for my dear?” A fairly plump little fairy asks as she twirls around me, fluttering with the help of her beautiful wings. I know they have a small form that they use more often but they can become more human size if they so wish.

“Actually I’m looking for one of the pack members, do you know of them?” I ask her as a few more fairies come out from behind the bush, they appear to be her children.

“Is it Kai Oppa you are looking for? He always runs off, likes to play with the forest creatures, the ones that aren’t trying to assimilate, he’s cute that way!” Her older daughter seems to blush just at the thought of the second maknaes. She is a beautiful little fairy with a large wing span, bigger than her mothers. I recognize her, I’m positive she is in my first period at school. One of the girls I saw that hangs with the “cool” kids so to speak.

“He usually finds a nice secluded place to just chill and hang out or just think.” The young little boy fairy says to me as he lands on my shoulder. His wings are dark and they sparkle as if you are looking into the midnight sky filled with stars and the Milky Way.

I was about to give my thanks when suddenly a large group of fairies surround me, they look to be guards of some sort. They are in their full form as to intimidate me more.

“You there! How dare you approach the Royal Family in such a manner, bow your head and show respect! His Majesty will report you to the Great Elves of this forest for your disrespect!” One of the guards yells at me, pointing his sword at me in his full form, towering over me.

“Stand down, I approached her of my own accord, the King needs to stop being so afraid of people and using connections to strengthen our court.” The Queen said as she gave me a cheeky wink.  “Now off with you, Kai should be around, he plays with the Prince here a lot, follow this glow it will lead you to a few places he might have gone to. Good Luck sweetie.”

As she waves her hand a small trail appears before my eyes, reminding me of the wings of the little boy, she must have made his dust visible for me to follow. I bow down low and give my thanks. She puts her hand on my shoulder and nods to me while leaning in close.

“I would try these places first, but maybe you should think about where you would go if he isn’t in any of these spots. I’m sure you remember some of your favorite places to run away from your “Hyungs” right Nana?” She whispers to me and in an instant I remember her and the King, I used to play in their Tree all the time when I first came here.

“Thank you Ajumma! Tell Ajushii I will come visit soon and he’s being a crazy old fool!” I say as I run off with the guards looking at me like I’m crazy for being so informal. I can see her dismissing them with a wave as she watched me run of in the direction the trail leads me.

“I think that’s the new boy that Exo took into their pack, he just entered our school today as a transfer, do you know him mother?” The daughter Sooyoung asked her.

“Yeah Ma, who was that guy, how does he even know Kai Hyung?” The Son Soohyun asked looking expectantly at his mother.

“Really now a new transfer, he used to play here a long time ago, before Soohyun was even born, he is very close to the Great Elves, like kin. I’m sure the wolves have taken him in as a pack member because of the great strength he possesses. I would advise you to be friendly my dear and hopefully he can bring the King out to remember why he loved this forest to begin with.” She smiled as the guards ushered them back in the direction of their home.

As I continue following the path I pass a lot of alcoves that seem like nice private spots to think, some I even remember hiding in when I got angry at the Hyungs. Finally at the end of the trail is a spot that overlooks a small waterfall that babbles over a small brook into the larger river that runs through this forest. I remember this spot the most. I used to come here all the time, many of the forest creatures would hang out by the bottom of the waterfall below me, I would watch them play and just enjoy the energy that flowed through this place.

“Hey Natsu is that you?” I hear from below me. Before a have a chance to look at who’s calling me I see a flash before my eyes and fall on my by the force that now stands in front of me.

“I knew I could tell it was you by the smell. Are you hear to play with me again?” As I look up I recognize my friend from when I used to play here.

“Ever since you left I have been alone, you know how nobody likes to play with tricksters, don’t you?”

“Hyunsu, is that you? You haven’t changed at all!” I laugh as I push him back off the little cliff into the water below. Hyunsu is a Dokkaebi, he has lived in the cave above the waterfall for as long as I can remember. They have an unbelievably long lifespan as long as they don’t cause trouble or become hostile. Hyunsu is too nice for an ogre, he is the only one of his family left here after the revolt against them years ago when wars broke out for control of this mighty forest. My Hyungs took care of him and helped keep him safe. He was one of my very first friends here and we always caused trouble, never too serious just little pranks to pass the time.

“Of course I haven’t changed silly but you sure have, you smell so enchanting. I assume you are letting me sense you on purpose. Before you knew it was me I could barely tell there was even anyone up there.” He yells at me from down below. As I take a leap off the cliff to meet with him I hear a quick yell and someone grabs my wrist.

 

“Are you crazy, not only will you die if you jump from this high but there is a Dokkaebi down there too and he will eat you whole!!! Stupid human girl, lucky I didn’t just let you fall after the way you played my brothers and me, just another girl trying to catch the best prize.” To my surprise it’s Kai. He is all wet….oh he was in the small cave behind the waterfall, I remember that spot, should have checked. As he attempts to pull me up his wet hands slip and I fall from his grip.

“Damn it, Natsume!!” I hear him yell as I flip and land right on top of Hyunsu’s shoulders. A game we played many times when I was smaller.

“ Natsu that’s a wolf, you better leave him to me, go hide in my cave quick!” He says helping me off him and giving me a push into the right direction.

“Not a chance, I know this fool just let me set him straight.” I say as a familiar black mist appears in front of us. Before I can even see Kai a fist rushes toward Hyunsu but I’ve about had enough of his childish behavior. Instead of letting Hyunsu protect himself I Kai’s fist upward into a different direction and quickly sweep his legs out from under him.

“I have had about enough of your little accusations and childish behavior, leave my friend alone and go back to the pack.” I say fuming. He looks a little taken back by what I did but I’m tired of being seen as weak, especially after the pain I endured at school today.

“You can have your little pity party somewhere else” I say as I lower down to his ear. “Remember I lived here long before you did, if you ever attempt to hurt my friend again I won’t be so forgiving.” I say as I straighten myself out only for my vision to blur a bit as I stagger backward into Hyunsu’s arms.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“Nana, hey what’s going on?” Hyunsu asks as he gently presses around her sides till he touches her back and she lets out a low gasp. “Are you serious, why would you be out and about when you are bruised this much? Hey wolf, take her home immediately and have the Elves take care of her, it is never good should she pass out or lose too much strength. Now hurry!”

“You don’t have to tell me that.” Kai says flustered as he takes Nana and quickly disappears from Hyunsu’s site.

“I’m so glad to see you grew up well Natsume.”

 

Once Kai appears in the main living room where everyone is chatting away happily, the conversation stops as Leetuek already has her in his arms. He quickly ushers her to the couch as all the Hyungs huddle around her chatting a very powerful healing spell.

“Why are they using such a powerful healing spell, this is meant to not only heal but replenish strength, it takes it from those that chant the spell and gives it to the other.” Lay says to the other Wolves as they witness the Great Elves at work.

“It’s not like she needs it, that girl stopped one of my punches and drop swept me to the ground without me even having a chance to react. That girl is way stronger than she looks. Now I trust her even less, what is she an assassin?” Kai tells his brothers as they look on.

“Yeah right, even if she was skilled, as a human, the second your fist hit her palm it should have shattered. We have a lot of strength even when we don’t use full force.” Tao states, as the martial artist of the group he should know what he is talking about.

“She was with a Dokkaebi, I was trying to help her so it was a punch I had intended to do damage with. The fact that she not only stopped my fist but put me down and threatened me questions if she really is who the Hyungs say she is.” Kai reiterates to them as he knows that what Tao said was true.

“I don’t know what the hell happened after she went looking for you but you better explain yourself before I punch you through the roof!” Siwon states furiously as he and the other Hyungs face him with a look of disdain he has never seen before.

“If this went on any longer Natsume could have… They would have known… I just… We trusted her with you guys, why?” Henry says fumbling over his words.

“ Hey, I didn’t tell her to follow me, I was pissed at her for lying, than I see her doing something stupid and I tried to help her and save her and she literally put me down, how is this my fault?!” Kai argues as the members of Suju’s faces soften a bit.

“Please explain in detail what happened?” Leetuek says less emotionlessly but it still causes every wolf in the room to shiver at the icy tone.

After Kai explained what he saw and how he tried to help her, and what she said to him the room seemed divided. The wolves didn’t see anything wrong with how Kai had handled the situation, the Elves agreed but thought he was a little hasty in his decisions without hearing her out.

As they continued to discuss the situation Nana awakened much to the pleasure of the Elves and surprisingly to them, some of the Wolves as well.

“He’s right you guys, I didn’t mean to cause trouble. I was honestly just trying to not be a hindrance to you guys. I mean you all didn’t seem so happy about having to babysit me and I didn’t even want to be, I have been on my own for a while and have become used to handling it myself. Out of respect for my brothers I tried to let you all in, I never meant to look like I was hoping for pity, I actually was hoping you all wouldn’t have to deal with me unless I really needed you. I never expected to be bullied on the first day and it was my stupid mistake anyways, I apologize to all of you, especially you Kai, I hate when things remind me of old pain and I’m sorry I caused that to happen to you today.” Natsume said wholeheartedly to the boys and even bowed as much as she could in her spot on the couch.

“What about the Dokkaebi and the almost jumping to your doom?” Kris asks not quiet convinced that she wasn’t looking to be babied in hopes of gaining their attention. The wolves hate that the most, just like every human or SN they have met, they always are trying to own them in some way or the other. That is why they only trusted the Elves, they were the first people they ever met that treated them like individuals rather than prizes to be won. Hell even their Parents wanted to use them for personal gains.

“Honestly, his name is Hyunsu and he was my first friend when I came to live here. I used to flip off that cliff all the time with him when I was little and didn’t think anything of it, I see how you could take it the way you did but I didn’t want him getting hurt because you used your fists before you even thought to ask me. He isn’t a threat to anyone, most of the smaller creatures of the forest know him as well. I know the Hyungs told you to protect me but I can protect myself pretty well on my own and I’m not used to being treated like a porcelain doll.” Natsume explains to them hoping it will help them see that she didn’t mean to cause distrust between them, she just isn’t used to relying on anyone.

“Very well, I hope this helps you guys understand each other a little better and there are no more stupid misunderstandings. I don’t want this drawn out like one of Reowook’s cliché dramas he watches on TV am I understood?’ Siwon states as he and the Hyungs head to their respective bedrooms leaving the Pack with Natsume downstairs.

“Listen well, we will do our duty and protect you whether you want it or not. Don’t interfere with the job we have been asked to do and just accept that we are going to watch over you. For now on you cannot be alone period. I don’t want anything like today to happen again.” Kris dictates as most boys nod their head, although begrudgingly.

Once the boys headed upstairs leaving Natsume alone on the couch they decided to have a discussion of their own.

“I’m serious you guys, she can’t be just a simple human girl, there is no way she should have been strong enough to take my punch let alone catch it. She claims she got those bruises from being shoved into the way yet she can withstand a straight punch to the face. We need to be wary of her. We already had to worry about her knowing what we are and now we need to be wary of who she really is. I mean what if she is a Hunter, we are so totally screwed!” Kai burst out once they are all in a room together.

“Look I know you guys are pissed about everything and now the heat is really on about us protecting her but I really don’t think she is a Hunter. The Hyungs say she is like a sister to them, I don’t think they would put us or the forest in such a grave position.” D.O finds himself sticking up for the girl.

“I have to agree, even if I don’t necessarily like the girl doesn’t mean I think she would do something to harm us. I think she just made a stupid mistake and caused herself to be noticed in the wrong way. I think we need to give her a break, she said she hasn’t even been to school before and we are acting like she’s been doing this all her life. We need to remember that she isn’t all that human to begin with, she is more like an SN on their first day of integration.” Luhan spoke up surprising everyone as he wasn’t very friendly to her in the first place.

“Look, whatever she may or may not be, we need to be wary of her and watch what and where she goes. I don’t want her unsupervised.” Suho says as he nods his head.

“I know I probably shouldn’t bring this up but she chased after Kai when she realized she had hurt his feelings, she didn’t even hesitate to jump out the window after him when she still had a fractured rib. I think you guys are being a little too harsh on her. We all have secrets we don’t want exposed and she is entitled to that as well. I know you mean well and you want to protect the pack but I think we are being blinded by the fact that she is just as aloof as the rest of us and both sides will need time to get to understand each other.” Lay says a little reluctantly.

“Lay is right. Kai, I also believe you were rash to run out like that just because she hid something from you. I know how you feel about liars but you also know you had a responsibility to protect her, we all do and so far we have failed at this. You need to apologize for running off and worrying her enough to throw caution to the wind and chase you, am I understood?” Kris says as he proves why he is head Alpha of this group. Most of the boys look like dogs with their ears down and tails between their legs.

“Alright we have school tomorrow as well so everyone is dismissed, enjoy the evening and Kai do make the effort ok?” Suho says to soften the mood and everyone goes about their business.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

After the boys went upstairs I didn’t really want to hear any of their private conversations so I headed out to the stream near  the back of the house, it runs thin when it comes near the house and I needed to just relax.

The forest always feels different at night, less like a fun adventure and more like a mysterious labyrinth of trees. As I reach the river bank I look up the trees that run along the water, I see the little platform that extends two trees that the Hyung’s built as a makeshift treehouse. I smile at the memory as I climb the tree up to the platform. As I relax and settle into the little stage, with all the stars as my audience I begin to hum my favorite tune and finally get some real peace.

I’m almost asleep when I hear some rustling below me.

As I look over the edge, there is a lone wolf drinking from the stream, seems it had been running around trying to clear its mind.

“Sometimes you just need to run it out am I right?” I say addressing the wolf.

Its ears perk up and it immediately takes a defensive position as it continues to eye its surroundings.

“Up here.” I state and give the platform a little pat so he can follow the sound better.

It looks up with a growl that immediately stops as it sees me up there. Now he’s looking at me like I’m crazy to be even up here. I healed just fine thanks to Suju so there really isn’t a need for that look I’m getting. Definitely not an alpha look so this isn’t Kris or Suho, that’s a relief, I’m tired of their overbearing aura today.

“I feel like you want me to come down huh?” I hear a snuff and know I’m right so I stand up and say goodnight to the night sky, my moment of peace over sooner than I had hoped.

“A bright, moonlit night,

 The stars give off their fireworks

 Shall we fly a little bit higher?” I sing as stare at the moon high in the sky. It always calms me down and makes me feel less alone. I take one last look as I continue to hum the tune in my head. The wolf is still there and seems annoyed that I’m making him wait. I don’t feel like being careful right now so I just leap off the platform. The wolf’s eyes immediately bulge and he starts moving like he is going to catch me. I feel the wind pick up around me as I lightly touch the ground, as if I had wings.

“Don’t look at me like that I actually know what I am doing.” The wolf huffs at me and turns his back to me.

“Really that’s very childish of you, and here I was actually happy to finally see one of you in your true form. You are very handsome.” I say to the back of the wolf. I see his tail begin to slightly sway back and forth, meaning he appreciated my words.

“You know if I didn’t know you were one of the pack, I would probably sit here with you and vent all my troubles, maybe cry a bit and feel a weight off my shoulders, but I don’t have the luxury to trust in anyone. Even if you were just a normal wolf, I still wouldn’t do it, you never know who is listening. I’m tired of living this life on my toes and from the shadows. I wish I could be who I really want to be, but that can never be.” I say as I vent to him, just enough to say how I really feel without really saying anything of importance.

To my surprise I feel the wolf nudge my hand, looking to be pet. I lift my hand to do so and he curls up beside me and sits contently as I his fur and continue to relax. I would not have expected any of the wolves to let anyone do this to them, they seem too proud to be treated like a dog, but maybe they just see it as being natural rather than domesticated.

“Thank you for this, I really do want to be able to trust you and the pack, I have just been so used to never revealing anything that I’m finding it hard to let go. I hope I can continue to do so with the support from you guys. However I get the feeling the Alpha’s trust me even less than the little they already had. I just don’t want anyone else to get hurt because I couldn’t protect them from others, and myself.” I can feel tears starting to well up and for once I decide to let them fall, this moment is too good a chance to let it pass without showing a bit of my heart.

The wolf abruptly sits up and stares at my face that now has a few silent tears streaming down it and nudges my shoulder to earn my attention. As I turn to look at him a feel something wet my cheeks. He is wiping away my tears for me and at that moment I have never felt so cared for by anyone other than my brothers. I can’t help but smile as I ruffle the fur on his head.

“Thanks..Sehun.”

 

 

 

 

 

Author’s Note:

Seriously where is this story going?! I feel like it may be dragging on a bit. Let me know what you guys think and if I should do little jumps through the timeline to help move it along. I really can’t say how happy I am with all the subscribers and a couple upvotes, to me that means I’m doing something right so thanks for all the support everyone!

Natsume