Frost bite bites back

When You're All Alone

 

 

 

“We are Alphas, a beta and an elder, why the hell are we on punishment!” Xiumin wheezes as they turn to head back up the steps to the training hall.

 

“I feel like a child! We have control over our powers the most, I don’t want to do that stupid core training.” Suho complains as they slow down, too tired to actually care.

 

“Look, I think this isn’t such a bad idea, maybe we should have listened. At least we wouldn’t be here if we tried.” Luhan interjects. “I mean did you see what Lay did in such a short time, any improvement in our skills is worth doing at this point.”

 

“Says one of the favorites, jeez.” Kris huffs as they get closer to the top.

 

“Well whatever, let’s finish here and huh?” Xiumin stops when suddenly they feel Chanyeol’s power burst and more than double in strength.

 

“What the hell is going on?” Kris freaks as they rush up the long hike of stairs back to the training room.

 

When they enter they notice that the whole room is filled with flames, a mix of red and a bit of blue roaring at their skin when they try to move closer.

 

“I don’t see anybody in here?! Did Chanyeol get pissed and lose control?” Xiumin screams back, slight panic in his voice as he knows only two people where left in this room after everybody dispersed.

 

“Nana?! Chanyeol?!” Luhan yells over the flame when suddenly it seemed all the oxygen left them like it was being up into the center of the hall.

 

There they see Chanyeol passed out on the floor his head in Nana’s lap as she smiles down at the boy, he looks exhausted but smiling as the four boys rush to their side.

 

“What the hell happened?” Suho questions softly though there is a rough edge to his voice.

 

“She helped me Hyungs, like she has been trying to help everybody from the very beginning, we have just been so damn stubborn. If I knew that this feeling inside me right now could have been achieved years ago I would have jumped at the task.” Chanyeol tells them as he sits up from her lap.

 

“What feeling?” All three question.

 

“I found my core, or more like she led me to it.” He smiles as he stands on slightly shaky legs as he opens his palm upward, the same flame bursting from his hands and morphing into a large fire bird, as it flies around the room in a big circle before landing on his arm softly.

 

“You can control it?” Xiumin and Kris question quickly as they back away from the bird.

 

“I don’t need to control it Hyungs, I need to understand and accept it.” Chanyeol says with a small smile as the bird seems to burn out and fade. “I’m super worn out now so I will see you guys back at home.”

 

As he walks away he stops and turns before heading back to the group and pulls Nana up to a standing position before kissing her on the lips quickly with a low muttered “Thank you” before turning and rushing out trying not to stumble.

 

“So we should have trained after all, well I feel like a thinking so highly of myself.” Luhan says as he too leans in to kiss Nana. “I will train tomorrow, now you have to convince these guys to stop being such dudes and trust you.”

 

“Hey that’s not fair.” The three remaining men whine as Luhan heads in the same direction as Chanyeol had.

 

“She knows way more than us and you guys are just gonna have to follow her lead, I know that as Alphas and an elder that it is hard for you, especially a woman, but get over it, she has proved time and time again that she only means the best for us so grow up!” And with that he leaves.

 

“So what now? Gonna rub it in our faces that you were right?” Kris barks at her.

 

“Nope”

 

“Want us to try your dumb training now?” Suho sighs

 

“Nope”

 

“Want to show us how to reach our core?” Xiumin finally asks without any sarcasm.

 

“Sure, but only because you asked nicely, the other two can leave and come back when they actually want to learn.” She says as she shoos them away while grabbing Xiumin’s hand and dragging him outside.

 

“I know we didn’t get to really know each other, but since you asked sincerely I will help you. As opposite elements I know I can’t be of much help, but I will guide you the best I can, I have experience with “cold”.”

 

“So where are we going?” He questions, Xiumin clearly wanted to trust her but his attitude was still less than desirable.

 

“To a place where your element thrives.” Nana says as she heads to the forest behind the training hall.

 

“I still don’t understand how we seemed to miss all these buildings and , I mean we are the caretakers of this forest, we should know everything right?” Xiumin complains as he notices areas he has never seen before.

 

“I always like to remind people that no matter how young the Elves seem they are still some of the oldest Sn’s around and that they know a lot of people that helped them secure this area for a very long time, it should come as no surprise that there are hidden gems around.” I say as our surroundings seem to close in and once we pass through some thick brush we are greeted with the view of a winter wonderland.

 

“Woah, what is this?” He asks in awe of what he is seeing.

 

“You know the whole, fairies control the seasons thing, well let’s just say it’s true and most have a favorite, so if it isn’t their desirable season they will just make their own patch of heaven for themselves.” I say gesturing to the area.

 

“I didn’t even know that such things were true. We are a proud pack of wolves with high education and yet every time I am with you I feel like I know nothing at all, hell you didn’t even have a childhood and you are still smarter than us all.” Xiumin smiles sadly at me trying to show he means no offence at his statement.

 

“Always remember this Xiumin, if you take anything I have ever said to you seriously, this is the one thing you should hold true. Learning and experiencing are very different, you could study and practice a thousand times yet when it is standing in front of your face that all means nothing. Your education comes from those that hold themselves above others because of their status, as some of you do as well because you don’t know any better, but once you start to see the world from a similar perspective, your whole view changes and you realize that there are things in life you need to experience this way, because it makes you a better person. Think of it this way, you all saw me as a spoiled little human who knows nothing of torture and hardship, but that wasn’t the case was it. Some people spend so much time believing in the mask they wear when they look in the mirror that they don’t even recognize someone wearing the same one.”

 

“That was very poetic, but why do you sound like an old man when you are a young girl? It is so frustrating yet beautiful that it drives me insane and I just want to do anything to shut you up and then I don’t because nothing that comes out of your mouth is rushed or not thought through and I just want to..ugh.” He rushes out as he pulls his fingers through his hair. “Ah it!”

 

And he pulls me by the collar of my shirt, hesitating only for a second to gauge my reaction before crashing his lips on mine. Being an elder his kiss was different from the rest, there was passion and experience behind his kiss but also fear of giving in and I realized that he was probably the as reserved as I was. I had spent a lot of time getting to know these boys before I even knew they were my mates and I forgot that the Alpha’s and the elder were the most secluded from me. I had more interactions with Tao than I did the other three and he still was weary of me because of Kris.

 

As we pulled away to breathe I realized he did not mark me, it was just a passionate kiss to test the ice I guess.

 

“I did not expect that to happen but I just really wanted to shut you up with my mouth.” He laughs genuinely and I can’t help but reciprocate.

 

“I hope you aren’t upset with what I did just now.”

 

“Of course not, you think I would have let you if I didn’t want it. This wasn’t about being mated or obligation, you kissed me because you wanted to and to be honest, I also wanted you too, I was really talking out my there. I get so preachy sometimes. It happens when that was how you were talked to growing up.”

 

“Yeah I imagine being raised by the Elves is like being trained by the Pack Elders, they are such wet rags man.” He laughs again and I find myself loving the sound.

 

“Still, it is nice to know about this place, you should see it during summer, the whole forest take turns to escape the heat.” I say smiling back as his happiness falters from his face.

 

“If you brought me here to release my power like Chanyeol than we should just stop now, I am not afraid of my powers like he was. I know what I can do and I know that there is a point in my power that I cannot cross, I lose myself and forget about those around me, I could freeze you dead and not even realize until it’s too late.” He says as he breaks the hold he had on my shirt, the collar not going down because he froze the material.

 

“I told you, we will connect to your core, that doesn’t mean it has to go the same route Chanyeol took, you are not the same so why should I expect to see you taking the same path?” I say as I fiddle with my stiff collar.

 

“Oh, I guess I leave it up to you.”

 

“All of our cores are different and each one has a different key. I knew how to help Chanyeol because we share a similar power, I could sense the fear in his flame. I can sense the greed of Luhan’s power to steal all the secrets it can from each mind it connects too, I can feel the lust from your power, the need to paint everything it seeing in white and blue. I feel the stab of pride that oozes out of my power, to let everyone know it is the superior Flame and it will burn anyone into submission. I am no fool, but I am no saint either.” I say as his eyes widen at my words.

 

“So knowing your strengths and weaknesses, that is the key to our core?” He asks cocking his head to the side in mock curiosity.

 

“No.”

 

“No?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Wait now I’m confused.”

 

“Did you know what your weakness was? That your power just wants to spread everywhere leaving a blanket of snow behind it regardless of the lives it would also leave behind?”

 

“Of course, I know the dangers of my powers better than anyone!” He shouts, his anger starting to show.

 

“Then why are we here? If knowing this means you can connect to your core then by all means, go ahead.” I gesture to him as the few fairies and trolls scurry away to give us the space.

 

He opens his mouth, then closes it as he lets out a sigh and plops down in the snow.

 

“Can I just be honest with you completely?” He asks and I just nod, why wouldn’t I want that?

 

“I feel like I am being bossed around by a little girl, I know you aren’t and I know you are powerful, your scars run deeper than even our own, but I cannot stop myself from being cocky and sarcastic with you, more than anything I lash out because I am so annoyed in myself for doing it over and over. I think the whole Pack is facing this issue except those too blinded by the mark to show you anything other than there sweet side. I just don’t want you to be surprised when the novelty wears off and their true y nature shows up. We all have social issues and I know that if the boys start acting different all of a sudden you will get upset and leave, like I think a few of us believe that you will, shoot sometime I want to ditch their es too.” He says kind of fast and mumbled though I get most of it.

 

“You think I don’t know this? That those thoughts sit and fester all day in my head, what if I screw this up and every single mate I have just leaves me, hell I would leave me! You think that this high and mighty know it all attitude just showed up one day?” I say as I sigh and plop down next to him. “I am just as afraid as you are, if not more so because I don’t have a Pack that will always be with me even if everyone else leaves. My attitude protects more than my feelings, it protects who I am, the me that just wants to help people anyway I can, but without it seeming like I put my neck on the line even if I did. But that one early night when I was so fed up with everything and Kai and the Pack were angry with me I honestly contemplated leaving and just saying “to hell with everything”, but do you know why I didn’t?”

 

“Why?”

 

“A wolf crossed my path, a smaller one than the rest but still bigger than a normal wolf, and all I wanted to do was spill my guts out as if he were just a wolf. I knew he wasn’t and I was finding myself enjoying being around your pack, but who could ever really connect when you are a mountain of secrets and lies? I even told him all this and yet, he stayed with me, comforted me like I mattered regardless of what I did or didn’t tell him. I knew then that I could learn to trust you, and I suddenly felt like maybe someone could grow to understand me even if I didn’t bare all for them to see.” I smile at the memory of my first meeting of Sehun in wolf form.

 

“I have already said I am no saint, and I have seen plenty of the guys bad sides. Is this about them, or about you? I am not ashamed of the wrong decisions I have made and the list keeps growing, I am not looking at you and assuming you to be anything other than yourself.”

 

“I could hurt you. Our powers are the opposite and I don’t want to hurt you or this forest.” He says as he steps forward, taking my hand in his. Showing me a vulnerable side I never expected an elder to show.

 

“I can’t say that you won’t because who knows what could happen, but I am not afraid to train with you, to risk getting hurt if it means we will both grow from it.” I say as I step away from him, a ball of flame in my hands.

 

“Good, you always seem to know just what to say for us to fall in line with you.” HE smirks as a large icicle forms in his hands.

 

“What can I say, I am your mate.” I smile as we rush toward each other.

 

+++++++++++

 

“Where the hell did those two go, probably making out somewhere where nobody would notice.” Kai huffs as he and Sehun look for the missing elder and mate of their pack.

 

“Oh shut up, you sound like a jealous boyfriend when really you should just be an apologetic one.” Sehun huffs as he sniffs the air.

 

Kai turned to pounce on Sehun for his remark when he suddenly felt a chill run up his spine.

 

“Look out!” They hear a voice say as a blade of ice barely misses Kai’s cheek.

 

“I told you that you can’t just toss them around like that anymore, precision is key now!” They here Natsume yell and then a smack is heard followed by a groan.

 

“This is bull, I thought this made us stronger, now I feel like I have to learn all over again.” Xiumin whines as he falls back on a blanket of snow and wiggles around in a small tantrum.

 

“What is going on here?” Sehun asks with an arched eyebrow at the other two.

 

“Oh, hey guys. Just working on training his core.” Natsume say to them.

 

“He found it already?” Kai questions.

 

“I did and now I feel like a toddler, this didn’t happen to Chanyeol, why me?!” He whines again as a white snowball suddenly smacks him in the face. Natsume stifles a laugh.

 

“I told you, it is different for everybody, Chanyeol knew the form his flame would take meaning he has been in contact with his core before. You on the other hand have no clue what form your core is and now this is what you are stuck with till you figure it out.” She says as the ball of snow hops over to her to be picked up.

 

“Is that a bunny?” Kai giggles as he sees the cute twitching nose of the bunny in Natsume’s arms. Sehun giggles as well when the bunny almost looks just like Xiumin, both of them puffing out their cheeks in displeasure.

 

“You are over thinking it, just let the energy flow through you and so will the form your power wishes to take, sometimes it can be confusing as the image of your power could be similar to your own image and that can make it harder for some to distinguish between themselves and their core.” She say as she also plops down in the snow.

 

“Like how you are a fox but so is your core’s image?” Sehun questions.

 

“Yup, you would be surprised at how I bet some of you wolves have seen your core’s image before but thought it was just you looking at yourself in a dream, but surely some things were different.” Nana explains as Xiumin suddenly sits up from his laying position. A very concentrating look on his face. The bunny in Nana’s lap suddenly sits up as well, looking at it’s owner intensely as a smirk appears on Xiumin’s face before he leans down over Natsume and kisses her roughly, this time they both can feel the mark as Xiumin intensifies the kiss pushing their bodies closer together as he does so and only pulls away because they both need to breathe.

 

“I knew that I wanted to mark you before but I hid it because I really just wanted to kiss you, but now I want to let them know you are mine too.” He says as a large pure white wolf stands beside him.

 

“I remember this recurring dream I would have about me chasing another animal in fun spirit through the forest though I never saw what I was chasing, but whenever I would get close this huge white wolf would always block my path. When you mentioned about the dream my mind was almost pulled into it as you spoke and I could finally see who was leading me to this wolf, the animal I was chasing was a fox, a little blue flickering fox.” He smiles again as he pecks her lips one more time.

 

“I should have trusted you immediately but man is pride hard to let go of.” Xiumin smiles as he gets off her and pulls her to her feet as all three boys surround her in a comfortable feeling as they walk back to the house.

 

 

 

Author’s note:

 

Finally another one of them as marked her, and Xiumin is kind of the next strongest one beside the Alphas. IF I remember correctly that leaves Tao, Chen and Kris. We will be getting more glimpses into the minds of our antagonists as we get closer to finding out the truth behind who and what are after the girls. Thank you so much to those still reading and commenting, i have been working on a job switch that has really eaten at my time but now that i have settled in a bit i think we should be getting more chapters out slightly faster!