Even More Obstacles

When You're All Alone

WYAA Chapter 15

 

We have been running for a while now and I’m not exactly sure where Tao is leading me. I can tell that he is more than a little impressed with me keeping up with him, but I am making a small attempt to look out of breath and slowing down.  I had already come to the conclusion that Tao would be the last of the wolves I revealed myself to, I can tell that he and Kris are very close so I’m sure if he found out he would have a hard time hiding it from his favorite Hyung.

It’s not that I don’t want Kris to find out at all, but as Alphas I feel I owe Suho and Kris a real explanation for my actions, even those that know what I am don’t know why I had to hide it from them, except for Luhan, who probably knows more about me than I can remember myself. Apparently when he filtered my leaking energy the other night his hereditary power was able to access my memories, my haunted past was revealed to him vividly. I almost feel bad for what the poor guy must have seen, it being enough to cause him to gag.

“I don’t see how you can keep up so well with me and still have the ability to get so lost in thought you don’t even notice me calling you.” I hear Tao whisper in my ear causing me to trip and tumble forward.

“Whoa I didn’t mean for that to happen!” He says looking over the little scratch on my knee.

“It’s ok, I was totally distracted and not paying attention.” I say as I brush myself off, a little scratch isn’t going to bother me one bit.

“Oh, that’s interesting,” Tao grins as he leans in to get a closer look at the scratch. “He must like you already huh?”

“I don’t get what you are saying Tao?” I question as he continues to grin and stare at my face.

“Hyung has added you to his list. The proof is right there.” He says pointing at my little scratch. I look down and I see nothing, no scar, no irritated skin of any kind.

“What the heck?!”

“When Hyung healed you the other day he must have added you to his radar.” Tao says. “No matter where you are, Lay Hyung will know whether you are hurt or if anything happens to you, usually that means he had to use advanced healing to create this type of connection.”

“I honestly had no idea he could do that, it’s quite amazing.” I say with a smile as I look at my “new” Knee. I have never felt so cared for by anyone other than my brothers so it feels completely new to be watched after by these boys.

“Anyways I brought you out here to see how well you have trained, I am a martial arts prodigy so don’t feel bad if a human such as yourself can’t keep up with my natural talent.” He says and I realize that it really doesn’t matter who I find looking at me with that smirk, I just want to smack it off of them.

“I would take serious offence to what you said, but who could be mad at a cute little fighting Panda.”

“Oh you are about to see how “cute” I can be!” He says and rushes straight for me. Not the greatest of ideas.

He reaches out to grab Chanyeol’s shirt I duck under him, fully knowing that is exactly what he is forcing me to do. As he misses, his body twists to go for the leg swipe but I have already used his own momentum to cartwheel over him and get a good grip on him. Thinking all I was doing was getting away was his first mistake, as I lifted him over as well tossing him across the open field.

“Are you kidding me? How did you do that?”

“It’s actually easier than it looks. I used your own strength against you. You think the Hyungs didn’t teach me how to fight? Let alone learn how to overtake a stronger opponent? I happen to be quite athletic.”  I say with a smirk, this isn’t a lie, they really did teach me how to take care of myself, but I also learned a lot on my travels. Strength wise isn’t a real issue, I’m a lot stronger than I look.

“Oh good, so basics aren’t going to be a problem if you are that ahead, no need to hold back huh?!” He says and his eyes glow slightly, I think he just got excited. I know I will have to let him win but if he gets too into it I could end up hurt and I really don’t want to keep getting injured, totally not my style.

Tao continues to come at me, most of the time I am just barely dodging his attacks. I know he is better than me at this, I’m lucky he hasn’t landed a full force punch yet, my agility keeping me just out of his reach. As I back up, actually out of breathe now his fist lands with the side of my jaw, hard.

“Ha, I finally got you! YAY!” He says doing a little dance as I rub my face. Well I guess a lesson is in store for him.

“I- I can’t believe you would hit me full force?” I fake cry as he comes closer, looking apologetic.

“Hey I thought you could handle it, geez.” He says as he bends down to look at my face, instead his face hits the dirt, I swept his legs right out from under him.

“Never take pity on an opponent that was able to keep up with you.” I say as I giggle, the dirt on his face causing me to lose control. “You really look like a panda now!”

“Hey not cool, I actually thought you were mad!”

“And there was your first mistake.” I say as I continue to giggle. I see him looking less pissed at me so I know he isn’t upset about it, maybe even impressed.

As I continue to giggle Tao quickly grabs my arm and pulls me into the river next to us, his hand over my mouth.

“Shh, something just crossed the border, Why does this happen so often lately? We are nearest so whoever it is will head this direction.” He says lowly in my ear.

*Hey Nana, your power flow just lessened, are you ok?* It was Luhan, I knew he would notice the spill of my power stopped. I don’t know who this intruder is and I can’t risk anyone noticing me.

“ what do we do?”

“I told Luhan, he informed the others that we are out here.”

“Wait what?”

“Shut up man.”

*Listen, nobody else noticed the intruder, are you guys sure?* He asks me.

*No, I’m telling you all this for fun, I didn’t notice it either, and I put up the barrier closest to where we are, only Tao seemed to notice. Didn’t he tell you through the link?*

*It isn’t working, I can’t get ahold of anyone but you, I don’t understand why.*

“Luhan says that none of you can communicate right now, is this true?”

“Yeah I have been trying to reach Kris but nothing, why aren’t they howling?’

“Apparently you are the only one to notice the breach.”

“Oh no, that isn’t good.”

“Why?”

“Just trust me ok. How are you even talking with him?”

“I don’t even understand, neither does he.”

*Nana where are you?*

*Sehun? How in the hell?*

*Look we are all very confused but Luhan texted me saying to check on the link and I can’t get a hold of anyone, but you!*

*Nana Nana?*

*Tell Kai to stop it*

*This is no joking matter!* Sehun yells at Kai.

*Can we all hear each other?* I hear Luhan ask.

*Yes* I here myself, Sehun, Kai, And Lay respond.

“Earth to Nana?’ Tao breaks me out of the conversation.

“I can get a hold of Luhan, Kai, Lay and Sehun.”

“I don’t have the time to ask how.” He answers.

“I wouldn’t be able to explain it even if you did.” Was my response.

In the distance, I could smell something disgusting, It smelled like death and my eyes started to water, although I could blame it on the fact that we were still floating in the stream clinging onto the shoreline.

“Oh lord, if you could smell that you would throw up.” Tao said as he couldn’t help but gag.

“I’ll believe you.” Was all I said. “So do we just wait for it to find us or what?”

“I am starting to understand why I was the only one to have sensed it.”

“Do tell.”

“I would but what’s the point, you’ll never understand and I would get stuck having to protect you, ugh Humans are nothing but trouble.”

“Oh tell me about it, and they never taste as good as they smell.” A sinister voice rang in front of us.

Jolted by the surprise Tao flinched and quickly moved away. In the process he let go of me and I was picked off by the creature that had crept up on us.

“However you smell so sweet, I think you’re just my type.” It said as it took a deep inhale near my neck, taking a big whiff of my scent.

“Oh my, do you belong to someone? Even better, I love taking toys from others.” He said with a sickening grin. “I came here because I heard some werewolves were running amuck in this forest, and my acquaintance needed help removing them so he could claim his prize peacefully. I didn’t think it would be this easy, let alone find my own prize.” He laughed aloud, causing me to shiver.

“Over my dead body, or better yet, how about over yours?” Tao smirked, and for once I was glad to see that overbearing confidence.

“Too late my friend, this bodies been dead for a long time.” He said as he my ear, the sensation nothing like when Chanyeol had done it. “Oh honey, I can’t wait to see the look on your mates faces when they see you in my possession, ready to live forever with me? Human death is wasteful, want to stop aging now in your prime?”

“I would but I already have a long life ahead of me, and sorry to burst your bubble but I don’t have a mate, but I have friends who will make sure I never have to see you again.”

“Ah I see, young love huh, oh how uninformed you are pet.”

“Don’t you dare touch her!” Tao yelled and his eyes glowed a bright yellow before a wave of power flowed through me, a sensation I have never felt before.

“What the hell was that?” I asked him

“Huh, how are you still moving?”

“Uh cuz I ain’t dead yet?” What the hell kind of question is that.

“…” He said nothing

It wasn’t until I changed my focus that I noticed how still everything was, even the vampire was still.

“No time to explain, this won’t last long and I will be in trouble for this so let’s form up, I hope you can run faster than before.”

Without a chance to respond he ripped me from the clutches of the vampire and immediately transformed into his wolf form, howling as we ran. I could hear the responses from the others.

“Sehun and Luhan.” Was all I said as I heard them howl, I just knew it was them.

Tao stared at me longer than he should have as we reached the backyard of the house, the wolves heading toward us. They were all in their wolf forms, Suho and Kris significantly bigger than the rest of them. As we reached them Tao went straight for Kris rubbing alongside him with his ears low. I found myself surrounded by a crowd also as Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Chen came over to me, sniffing me as they did so.

*They are trying to get the scent.*

“Oh you can’t miss it, death is a very distinctive smell.” I says as they continue their sniffing.

“Please tell me what you can.” Came a voice behind me, it was Suho.

“From what I can tell he is here for the pack. Whatever the reason, he wants to rid you guys from this area.” I tell him.

*What else?* I hear from Luhan.

*He is here on behalf of the Collector, he must have sent the vampire to get rid of you guys, so he wouldn’t have any more interruptions in collecting me.* As always every bad thing that happens is my fault.

*Stop that right now, it’s our fault you had to reveal yourself and we will protect you.* I hear Sehun say as he comes up next to us, ghosting along the side of me.

*Trust in us, we will take care of you.* Lay says as he comes up behind me wrapping himself around my legs. Kai and Luhan join him as the four of them seem to be drowning me in their scent. As I look to check on Tao he seems to shudder slightly as he is being comforted by Kris.

 * What is wrong with Tao?* I ask in concern as I head in his direction. However the closer I get the more Kris seems to growl at me. Not intimidated by his Alpha aura I continue until I am kneeling down beside the wolf.

 “Why did he need to use his power? Did you not listen to him?” Kris seems to growl at me.

 “I did exactly what he told me too, the vampire surprised us and he got a hold of me, Tao was just trying to help me.”

 “Of course you are the reason, can’t you do anything right?! Some of us actually try to be a part of this group, I thought you wanted to be accepted, seems you just want to be babied!” He yelled at me, not leaving Tao’s side as he continues to writhe in pain. I Know he truly cares for Tao but I didn’t ask him to use his power let alone even understand exactly what that even is, but I did try to be helpful.

“Just get out of the way and stay in the house will you?” Suho says, also shrugging me off. As I look around, most of the boys seem upset with me, glaring at me and then tenderly looking Tao’s way.

I head toward the house, not wanting to be looked at that way, it is a scene I see replayed in my nightmares every night, I don’t want to see it during the day as well.

I don’t know if it was the fact that him yelling at me while exerting his aura or if I just started to feel like it was my fault, but I was crying, something I used to never do and now I have done it twice already.

*Tao’s power is a strange one, if it wasn’t so hard to use I would say he is one of the strongest in the pack.* Lay’s voice fills my head and I immediately wipe away my tears even though I know he wasn’t there to see them.

*…*

*I’m sorry.* Was all he said to my silence, I don’t know what to say, I feel that hearing it from him is unfair, but Tao is in no position to explain himself.

I can see them all babying him and they look like such good brothers, I can hear them discussing what to do as Luhan is letting me listen in, though I have no interest, I just want to know if Tao is ok. As I continue to stare at him, I see a weird distortion that is making him look fuzzy in my eyes. Slowly a figure forms and approaches him, an elderly looking man that I feel I have seen before.

“I told you that my power isn’t to be used for just any reason young one, I suggest you do a better job of choosing when to use it.” The figure says though no one seems to even notice him as he closes in on Tao. I am confused, the man leans in and caresses Tao like a father would a son and things become clear to me.

I rush back to the back door and enter the house, however I slam the door extra hard to grab the figures attention. All the boys look at me extra annoyed by my “fit” but I’m more impressed that I caught the attention of the elder. His eyes widen as he leaves Tao and heads my way.

“Hyung, stop him.” Tao barely whispers as he comes in and out of consciousness, Kris leans in to comfort him, not sure what he means but continues to tell him he is safe and sound.

As the figure reaches the door he walks right through it like a ghost.

“How unusual to see you so… expressive?” The Old man says smiling slightly at me.

“What exactly are you doing here sir?” I ask as Tao’s power is slowly begins to make sense.

“I am here to uphold my end of the deal I have with that young wolf.”

“What is that may I ask? You lent this boy a piece of your power yet you punish him for every use? That is unfair of you.”

“Please do not lecture me about what I choose to do with my children, who are you to speak to me in such a manner?” He is growing increasingly angry with me.

“My apologizes Sir, but I feel this is quite unfair and cruel, that boy used his ability to save me, am I so low on the list that my life isn’t important? I shall inform her majesty that you feel this way.” I say as I see his eyes grow in shock.

“Please don’t do something so unnecessary, I was unaware that the “Stupid human” he saved was you. I will stop my punishment and leave him be.” He says as grumpy as ever and I know I will get in trouble for my behavior but this is not right.

“Good and I suggest you refrain from punishing him again before you make sure that what he has done is truly unworthy of such actions. What he considers important and what you think are important are completely different, and you’re not even giving him a chance to explain before you dish out your punishment. I suggest you watch what you do, I will be with Tao for a while, I suggest you try harder.” I say with as much authority as I can, hoping this will save Tao some pain.

“Sadly, I cannot just remove a punishment, it has already been sentenced out. What will you do you selfish vixen?” He smirks at me as I see Tao shudder again, the boys becoming increasingly worried. Lay is trying to subdue the pain but even his power isn’t strong enough compared to this being.

“I will take the punishment, it was my fault to begin with, please make this so, I will finish the duration of his punishment.”

“It is quite a painful ordeal, are you sure? You cannot blame this on me, it is your decision.” He grins at me, glad to give me some pain after how I treated him.

“I am well aware, just do it, and please be careful the next time you decide to deliver punishments to those that are undeserving. If he had murdered, robbed or hurt someone with his power I could understand, but even if it was just for a “stupid human” that should count as heroic. Should I inform the council that you don’t value a human life? That you are cruel toward the humans you are supposed to protect?” I say standing up to the powerful man in front of me.

“That would be unnecessary, please spare me, I will reflect my actions.” He says as he slightly bows to me and heads back toward Tao. He seems to notice the man as he reaches down and his head tenderly. Tao’s eyes widen as the painful expression eases off his face. For a quick second Kris and Suho begin to panic as Tao’s shudders stop and he relaxes before passing out.

“Tao!? Lay what the hell just happened? These attacks usually last much longer, is he ok?” Kris is livid as he continues to question Lay, the rest of the pack looking on in confusion and fear for the young pup.

“He is fine, he just fell asleep, and the pain must have diminished enough for him to knock out. This has never happened before, maybe the punishment was a short one.” Lay says equally confused.

As I continue to watch the scene in front of me my head begins to pound, like a headache from hell. I see the guys heading inside, Tao in Kris’s arms. I shuffle to the living room, the more I move the greater the pain becomes. I lean into the couch, hoping everyone will head upstairs so I can sneak up behind them and hide in my room.

“I’ll take him to my room, Lay please join me so we can keep an eye on him.” Kris orders as everyone files into the house, ignoring my presence completely and heading to Kris’s room to continue their meeting regarding the Vampires appearance.

I take this opportunity to head to my room as well, taking the steps slowly as my vision blurs sand my feet become unsteady as the pain continues to increase, now I see how Tao crumbled into a ball due to this pain. What his guardian had done to him is too cruel.

As I reach the top of the stairs my head begins to spin and I know I am going to end up back at the bottom of the stairs, however a hand grabs my arm and pulls me into their chest.

“Are you all right? You almost went head first down those steps.” It’s Lay

“Can you help me to my room, I seem to have a slight headache.” I say as he helps me get into my room, where I find Chanyeol and Chen taking their console out of my room.

“We are going to put it in Hyungs room so Tao can play when he wakes up.” Chanyeol says as he walks out with it in his arms, Chen passes as well but not before bumping my shoulder harshly. “He would be fine if weren’t for your lies, if he knew the truth there would be no reason to use his power.” Chen says roughly under his breath.

“What the hell is their problem, they know it can’t be helped.” Lay says as he shakes his head and leads you to your bed.

“I need to go check on Tao or Kris will murder me, I will be back to check on you ok?”

“Go ahead, I’ll be fine, make sure Tao’s ok.” I say as he leaves me on my bed.

If this is the type of pain Tao had to go through every time he used his powers than I really pity the poor boy. To be given such a gift is amazing but not worth it for this pain. I see why Kris protects the boy so well, he must go through this a lot even while trying not to.

I lay in bed, try to focus on anything other than the pain that seems to be splitting me apart, how did he not pass out from this, it’s almost unbearable and I have no idea how long this will last.

“Hey Nana?” I hear from my doorway, its Sehun and Luhan.

“Yes?”

“Uh we just wanted to apologize for the way everyone treated you, it’s not like you had any idea that Tao..”

“Controls time?” I say trying my hardest to look normal, this was my choice and I owed Tao for protecting me knowing the pain he would be put through.

“You figured it out?” Luhan questions, “I guess everything ceasing around you was a good indication huh?”

“Yeah.”

“Hey you!” I hear from my door.

“Kris?” He is standing in the hallway between our doors.

“Tao is asking for you, but he is barely awake, I told him you were fine but he insisted on me getting you. Let’s go already.” He is being so short with me, I guess he still blames me.

*I need you to help me Luhan, I’m a little weak right now.*

*Why? What is wrong, I was going to ask you why you looked so sick all of a sudden? Did the Vampire bite you?* He asks as his eyes widen slightly at me.

*No I’m ok just running in human form to keep up with Tao was hard.* I lie.

“Any day now, geez keeping your savior waiting, rude.” Kris says as he heads back across the hall to his room, luckily it’s not that far.

I come in the room, making sure I have a strong hold on Luhan, Kris looks pissed about our closeness but says nothing.

“Hey Tao, how are you feeling?” I ask him, he is all cuddled into the bed.

“Fine, can you guys let us talk?”

“No way, anything you say to her you can say to us too right?”

“Just give us a moment will you Hyung, I’m serious about this.”

Kris sighs as Luhan ushers him out of the room, giving me one last worried look as he closes the door.

“You saw him?”

“I’m sorry?”

“So you didn’t, I wonder why he went to you? Maybe check out if you were worth saving and that’s why I’m ok now?” He seemed to ask himself.

“Oh you mean the old geezer, yeah I saw him, I talked with him extensively.”

“Wait what? How is that even possible, the Hyungs never notice him? He never wandered off like that before, he usually shows up and disappears, I have never seen him chit chat with a human before.” He seems to struggle with this information, even panicking a little.

“Hey, it’s ok, it wasn’t my first time arguing with that , he doesn’t get along well with those outside his realm. Being one of the oldest he thinks he deserves the utmost respect, pssh not when you treat your kids that way.” I scoff.

“How is this even possible? How can you see him, I have never met someone else who could see him, let alone talk to him and get away with referring him as an ?” Poor Tao, his ability is even rarer than those that have a hereditary power. His power is still passed on through his family lineage, but it wasn’t something they were originally born with, it was bestowed upon his family.

“Oh please, Chronos is just like the mean grumpy old man that yells at all the kids to get off his lawn, but still hands out the best candy at Halloween, am I right?”

His family was bestowed the power, by a God.

 

 

Author's Notes

I realized in my rush to update this friday that i didn't even write anything to you guys, how rude of me. I hope adding in higher powers doesn't seem weird to anyone. I tried to make it believable and not strange. We will be meeting more gods as we go and i want to create a cool story for why we are meeting them and how they interact with the supernaturals that live in our world. Thank to those that recently subscribed and those that commented. Halloween is Monday and I'm so excited as it is my favorite holiday and we go all out decorating my front yard! Hope all that celebrate have a fun and safe evening!

Natsume

Shout out to Kiseonnie11 for the upvote and comment, your awesome!