Trials and Tribulations

When You're All Alone

After all the explaining and events as of late I really needed a break, but I still have to deal with the two newbies downstairs. I haven’t heard from Miyuki in a while and if her mates were missing, I am surprised she hasn’t tried to contact me.

“Two months missing is a long time, why hasn’t Miyu contacted me? If you guys went missing while looking for me then she should have called by now asking about you two.” I ask confused as to why she sent them after me in the first place instead of just talking to me.

“Well it was our decision to go get you and bring you back, we didn’t want her to be sad and we knew she missed you so we kind of lied to her.” Jungkook says as they both seem to be cowering away. “We just wanted to be all together like before!”

I roll my eyes at them as I pull out my phone. “Does this mean you lied to me too when I asked you why you were in Korea?” They nod at me hesitantly, it doesn’t take long for my call to be answered.

“… Yeah hey Aniki, can I talk to Miyu? Yeah..uh ok, no I’ll tell them. No I found them luckily so tell her to come home and… ok well just send a responsible one to come get them. Yeah I got it, love you too, bye Aniki.” I say to the phone as a few of my mates look upset as to who I said the “L” word to.

“Was that Kazuma-san?” V asks cringing a bit.

“Yes it was, he is so pissed at you guys, Miyuki went out looking for you and you know how dangerous that can be for her. Now I have to go get her because she left without any of your brothers. Kazu said he would send one of the more responsible ones to come get you, if Hoseok shows up just don’t destroy the house.” I say as I start heading to my room while trying to rub away the headache that is starting to get worse.

“Wait, things have finally calmed down and now you are leaving?” Sehun pouts.

“I know but she is like my sister, I have to go get her.” I say as I start throwing things in my bag. I can feel some of my mate’s disappointment and I honestly feel the same about leaving them, especially after I announce that I only want to take two boys with me.

“Why are you packing in such a hurry?” I look to see Kris leaning against my door frame, a eyebrow cocked in my direction.

*Who tattled?* I ask my mates when all I get are huffs and sighs in response.

“Yes, I was just about to come inform you and ask if I could borrow two members of your pack to go with me.”

“See Hyung, she’s leaving! Wait, who are you taking?” Sehun immediately questions.

“I was hoping to take Lay with me in case my friend has hurt herself, she’s a bit of a klutz. I was also wondering if you wanted to come with me?” I hesitantly ask knowing that asking to take the healer and leader of the group would leave them vulnerable.

“You want me to go?” Kris looks shocked I would ask him.

“Well, we need to get to know each other better and what better way than going on a journey together? I know you are the leader but I thought maybe you could take a vacation from them and help me find my friend. But I understand if you..”

“OK, just let me get my stuff.” He quickly answers as Sehun’s eyes widen and his mouth is wide open in shock. “Close your mouth or you will catch flies.”

“Should I let Lay know or?”

“No, Lay should stay here in case something happens while we are gone, I have a few potions from Amber, I’ll pack them and hopefully that will be ok but you can choose someone else to come.” He says while moving about his room collecting things.

As I start to think about who I want to take with me a bubbly Baekhyun and Chanyeol come down the hall, their smiles growing brighter when they see me.

“What are you doing Nana? Trying to catch hyung ?” Baekhyun teases as I hear coughing coming from Kris. I turn grinning at the two troublemakers.

“Oh no, why would I waste my time trying to see him when I can just ask Tao for some photos?” I say as the boys start to laugh, an annoyed Kris flicking my nose as a light blush forms on his cheeks.

“If Tao shows you anything of the sort you should just burn them right then and there.”

“Yeah, or take them so we can make copies and spread them around?” Chanyeol grins as I high five him for his brilliant idea as he and Baekhyun run off to Tao’s room just to antagonize their Hyung even more.

“Don’t encourage those weirdoes.” He says in a teasing manner, one I haven’t really heard from him. I’m so used to Kris the Leader that when Kris the young wolf comes out I’m always pleasantly surprised.

“Oh they just love to get a rise out of you, probably trying to get a laugh or a crack in that mask.” I say to him, however he seems to look away at my response.

“I see.” Is his only response as he looks down at the ground.

“Hey” I say as I enter his room and put a hand on his shoulder. “We promised, no misunderstandings anymore. What did I say wrong?”

“Nothing, it’s just that I don’t enjoy portraying myself the way you see it. It was hammered into my brain that it was the way you ran a pack, no emotions or trying to be like the rest because as Leader you are supposed to be above them.” He tells me as we both sit on the side of his bed.

“Well maybe you should try to rethink what you were taught. I don’t mean to belittle who taught you these things but aren’t they the conventional way to run a pack?” I question leaning in to catch his gaze.

“They are the way most leaders try to be with their pack.” He stands up quickly and responds in a low growl, offended by my statement. I can understand why though so I ignore it.

“This pack is anything but conventional and it isn’t even structured like most packs. A pack full of Alphas would be like a bunch of Alpha’s meeting for a drink, all on the same level, more like buddies because they see each other as equals. Shouldn’t that be the dynamic you strive for as well, because you all are Alphas and are equal? You should treat them as you would Suho or with even more respect because they were willing to give up their right and status so you could be the Leader.” I finish as he stares at me with a blank face, seemingly taking in my rant.

“I can see why my brother’s like you so much. There isn’t anything I hate more than a person who speaks with logic and well thought out ideas.” He says in a sarcastic voice as he rolls his eyes and sits back down next to me, only to turn my direction giving me a genuine smile with playful eyes.

“God forbid someone around here knows how to make sense.” I respond in the same playful matter as we share a laugh.

“Have you decided who you want to take with us?”

“Hmm, I think Kai is the best option, in case something goes wrong I know he can get Miyuki and himself to safety.” I say after thinking it through.

“Sehun won’t be happy, should we take him along as well just to keep him from nagging us the whole time?” Kris asks, thinking about whether or not I want to handle both of them.

“Hmm, I guess it couldn’t hurt. Those boys will be more annoying if I only take one of them anyways.” I slowly stand up, raising my hands over my head to stretch.

“So, do you know where we are going? How are we supposed to find someone who ran off on their own?”

“Well, let’s just say I left something with her and if I try to reclaim it, I can find her anywhere.”

“Alright, well let’s tell those brats and start heading out.” Kris responds a little more enthusiastically than I thought he ever would sound as he swings his bag over his shoulder.

*Alright losers, let’s hit the road, I want to get Miyu home as soon as possible.* I say to the two youngest as I hear them cheering and running to their rooms to grab the essentials before we leave them behind.

A few of my mates seem upset about me leaving, until they realized I was taking their leader with me.

“Is Kris Hyung going with you?” Kyungsoo asks, a curious look on his face, Luhan sporting the same look.

“Yes, I figured it was a good chance to spend some time together and learn a bit about one another.” I say with a smile as the two youngest come running down the stairs with backpacks on.

“Ready!” They say as they say bye to their brothers, Kris doing the same before having a private conversation with Suho.

As I say goodbye to the boys that aren’t my mates as I see those that are looking rather upset with me.

“What’s wrong?”

“We don’t like that you are leaving, especially when you are taking those to numbskulls with you instead of one of us.” Luhan says, a pouting Chanyeol and Baekhyun giving me the cold shoulder.

“Well honestly I wanted to just go with Kris and Lay just in case Miyuki was hurt, taking those two was more Kris’s idea than mine. He said Lay was better to stay here so I chose Kai because he could get me back to you guys the fastest and Sehun is coming just so nobody has to deal with his whining.” I say as a few of them seem relieved that they weren’t overlooked and that I had thought about who to take in the most logical way.

“Oh, sorry, I think we are just jealous. Be safe and have that brat bring you back immediately if anything happens.” Luhan says as he hugs me and gives me a peck on the cheek, causing me to blush a bright pink.

“OK no fair!” Baekhyun and Chanyeol rush me for hugs as all my mates hug and kiss my cheek. I am glad they are going slow with me. Just kissing is hard for me to handle, I’m not embarrassed by it I’m just so used to being guarded and it isn’t easy for me to let go. Luckily I found some really great guys that are being so patient with me.

“Thank you guys, love you and see you soon!” I say as I walk off with the leader and the maknaes.

*******************

“Do you think she meant that for all of us or just them?” Suho asks causing a few of the guys to look at him with a sly grin.

“Hold on I’ll ask.” Luhan teases.

“No, don’t it was rhetorical!!” Suho panics as he starts tossing water at Luhan to distract him.

“Oh no, I think someone is afraid to know the answer.” Chen begins to tease as well while Tao and Xiumin look interested to know the answer as well.

“Oh, I think you all will be pleased to know that it was for everyone!” Luhan says watching everyone’s expressions. The brothers who haven’t marked her blushing profusely.

*Well Nana, I hope Kris falls for you too, otherwise he will be left alone based on these reactions.*

*******************

“So we aren’t taking a car or using Kai to just get straight to her?” Sehun asks.

“The trouble with that is I don’t want to exhaust Jongin in case we need him for an emergency. That and Miyu is an extras special case so we can’t just get close to her, we have to find her.”

“What is so special about her if you don’t mind me asking?”

“I don’t mind you asking at all. The problem is that it isn’t my place to tell you, hopefully she will allow me to explain it to you once we find her.”

“Nana, I was wondering what you meant when you said you left something with her to help you find her, what did you leave with her?” Sehun asks curiosity glinting in all their eyes at his question.

“How much do you guys know about foxes?” I ask as we walk through the dense forest, getting further and further away from our boundaries.

“Little honestly, you don’t usually see too many anymore, most of them reside in Japan now because they are worshiped there.” Jongin surprisingly tells me.

“Wow Kai, I’m impressed.” Kris sarcastically says as he rolls his eyes.

“Don’t fall for it Nana, Luhan told us this after you revealed your true form to us.” Sehun says leaning and whispering into my ear before turning and punching Kai in the arm for being a show off.

“Well it it’s true, most foxes have moved there just for protection from Collectors and people who try to capture Foxes for their own benefit.” I say as I remember what the Elves taught me and what I learned on my own out of curiosity.

“How does that relate to what you left with your friend?” Kris questions.

“Well, Foxes usually have a jewel or gem of some kind that holds their power or at least a bit of it, it is supposed to help them control their power and also keep it away from those who wish to take their power from them. Even if I was captured by the collector, he wouldn’t have all of my power, only a portion of it. However, I don’t have such a thing so I left a bit of my power with her in a necklace so I can sense it when we are apart and like a guide it helps me find her. It is a very small amount of energy, just enough so I can keep an eye on her. If she taps into it I will know and that will mean she is in trouble, luckily that isn’t the issue so I hope she just got lost or distracted.” I inform them.

“So how do you get a gem? Does that mean you would be stronger if you took it back from her?” Kris asks me with the same glint of interest in his eyes. It’s nice to see him acting more normal than leader like.

“Well the gem is usually passed down or given to a fox by their parents, like family heirlooms. Supposedly where you keep it is supposed to be important to you and hold significant meaning to you, as my best friend she was the closest in description. I only put a small amount that makes no difference to my strength, I could have stored more but I know my power can take a toll on some because of its relation to fire so the smaller the amount the better.” If I had left her with more the possibility of the two powers fighting each other could have backfired in our faces.

“So did she give you power too?” Kai asks.

“Well yeah, but her power is different and couldn’t be something I carried, I had to wear it instead.” I say knowing how confusing it was.

“I’m confused.” Sehun sighs.

“Jongin bring me V real quick.” I say and in a flash of black mist he is gone and returns immediately with the younger boy.

“Hey, what’s up?”

“They want to know what I mean by wearing Miyu’s powers.”

“Oh I get it.” He smirks as he pulls his shirt off, a claw mark across his heart, it isn’t deep but it is visible.

“She marks you and inside the scar is a bit of her energy, it’s how she knows we are alive even if we aren’t with her.” He explains.

“Thanks, you can take him back now.” I say as I ruffle Taehyung’s hair.

“Find her and bring her back ok, hopefully she is just found a good place to eat and is waiting for you.” He says as Kai takes him back.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to use you for something like this, I just didn’t want you to freak out at the idea of being scarred by her, it’s a mark we bear with pride.” I say as I pull the collar of my shirt to expose my right shoulder, the same kind of claw mark starting near the top of my shoulder and stretching to the end of my shoulder blade, it was light but obviously done by a large animal.

“So she does that to keep track of you?” Kris scoffs with a little more attitude than I would have liked.

“No, I let her do this so she could be at ease when I wasn’t around, it also connects us almost as good as the telepathy you share with your brothers. It is a way for us to know the other is safe even when we are apart.” I say just as snarky as he did. I know what he meant but that isn’t how it was for us.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to say it like that, I just felt like you got hurt just for that and I think I got angry.” Kris says not meeting my gaze, a look of something I can’t describe as the maknaes came up poking and teasing him.

“She isn’t easy to resist is she hyung?” Kai teases as Kris looks away, a light pink hue on his cheeks.

“Now you understand why we weren’t upset when we marked her, she is the best!” Sehun chimes in as well.

“So, where are we going?” Kris asks trying to change the subject while still shying away from me.

We had been walking for quite some time now, the sun no longer peeking through the trees, a chilly breeze blowing as I realize where we are.

“Ah, well I think I know the general direction she is in but she hasn’t responded to my call either, she should feel a burn when I do, she usually gets pissed and retaliates but she hasn’t and I’m getting concerned.” I worry that she found some trouble on the way, her temper can get the best of her.

“So we follow you?”

“Yup, let’s keep moving.”

****************

We have been traveling for a while now with only tiny breaks in between. The further away we get from our territory the more my nerves set in. Besides being in unknown areas, I’m a lone Leader with just his maknaes and a girl. I don’t mean that in a bad way and I am well aware of the fact that Nana can take care of herself, but the fact that she is secretive about her identity means she probably won’t be doing much fighting unless absolutely necessary.

“Are you sure we should be just walking out in the open like this?” I ask her as she continues her small talk with Kai.

“Huh? Oh yeah, I will be sure to let you know when we need to be careful, we will probably just change and run through those areas as fast as we can when the time comes.” She tells me barely looking my way as she smiles at whatever witty thing Kai had said. I feel annoyed and I can see why we had all these misunderstandings. Her presence and how she interacts with my brothers really causes me to react harshly without me even realizing.

“Wait, so are you saying we are safe right now? We aren’t in our territory so how can you be so confident?” Kai raises his brow at her and I’m glad he asked her, otherwise it would have looked like I didn’t trust her.

“Funny you should ask that, I happen to know the owners of this area, they are very sweet despite what they are.” She says without really answering the question. She seems to be really good at that I have noticed.

“Why do you know so many people? No offence but you seemed like such a loner when we first met you.” Kai asks her and I can’t help but feel the statement is true.

“Oh I am a loner, always have been and probably always will be. But honestly, I have met a few people in this world that I have called friends, Miyuki and her mates being my main group, my closest. The others I have met on my journeys and have met through being associated with my prestigious brothers. This case is in regard to them as well, just like the Incubus clan you all met. I was introduced to them because I barely slept, and when I did I would wake up constantly from nightmares, so they were brought in to help me sleep because their taste was more for the dark nasty dreams rather than the ual.” She says and I have this relief wash over me knowing that she found a way to rid her of the nightmares, I wasn’t so lucky.

“Ouch! God I’m sorry, I said no offense!”

“Oww, hey why would you hit me too?”

I look over to see the maknaes both sprouting pouts as they hold the back of their heads. Natsume with that evil grin Kai uses all the time.

“I still took offense to it, you jerks.” She says but I can tell she is being playful with them. I smile as well watching them until she turns to me with that same smile and I can’t help but feel at ease when it is aimed at me. Maybe she is supposed to be with us, I’m starting to see what they mean by her filling in a missing piece.

“So who lives here?” I ask her.

“Ah hahaha, about that, you really don’t want to know, they are a tad bit unruly so let’s get a move on.” She awkwardly rubs her neck and starts walking faster.

As we get more and more into the territory of these unruly creatures it starts to get muddy and rocky. The ground slightly soft like clay.

“Hm, could it be this simple?” She says more to herself than any of us.

“What is it?”

“It feels like she is here or at least she has been her?” I see her eyes start to glow a soft green.

“Be careful.” Kai growls and the wind starts to pick up.

“Look around and stay on the rocks ok?” She tells us as I start to slightly levitate above the ground.

“What are we looking for?” I question.

“Nana?” I ask again.

I look around and she isn’t in my line of sight.

“Nana?!” Kai yells as well.

“Where the? She was right there.” Sehun says as he starts lunging from rock to rock looking for her.

“Sorry, these guys always mess around, let’s move on.” Nana says coming up from one of the tall rocks, a sigh escaping us all.

As we continue to move forward the maknaes don’t seem to budge.

“Come on, move guys.” I say slightly irritated that they are lagging behind.

“Stop Hyung.” Kai orders with an arm on my shoulder.

“Don’t follow that thing.” Sehun growls

“Thing? What are you..” I try to finish but Kai interrupts me.

“That isn’t Natsume, it smells wrong, like a bad imitation.”

“OH!! Congratulations on being able to spot a fake!” I hear coming from below.

Slowly the rocks and mud become creatures, tall and intimidating.

“Golems?”

“That is correct, I told you they can be a bit unruly.”

On top of one of the largest is the real Natsume, and looking around the fake on is still there too and I find it hard to tell the difference. Is this what it means to have a mate and know her like the back of your hand? I can’t help but feel jealous at the other two’s ability to notice so quickly.

“Sorry about that.” The large Golem speaks as it gently puts Nana on the rock we are standing on.

“Did Miyuki come through here?” She asks them.

“Ah yes she did, we told her where you were, she didn’t met up with you?”

“No, how long ago was this?”

“About two weeks ago, she said she had been looking for two of her mates but they weren’t answering her call and that she couldn’t find them through their link.”

“Ah that was because of where they were. Did she say where she was going next?”

“She mentioned heading home if she didn’t find them in the dark? Does that make sense to you because I’m confused?” The Golem says rubbing his neck, such a human action looking strange on a giant rock creature.

“Well , might as well head there if that is what she said, why she always does this I will never know. Thank you so much Ajusshi.” She says and bows to him as he does the same, the weird look alike melting back into the ground.

“Do you have to leave Noona? We haven’t played in forever.” One of the small golems say as a group of them seem completely disappointed.

“I’m sorry, I have to find Miyu quickly or her brother will eat me whole. Ah, but I have an idea.” She smiles as her eyes glow again, one of her tails appear as she reaches up and grabs a leaf off the tree. She quietly mumbles something to the leaf and holds it to her lips, in a puff of smoke that causes all three of us to jump and get into a defensive position. As the smoke clears Nana is still there but in her arms is a tiny fox. She sets it down as the little golems run off giggling and yelling their thanks as the little fox runs off with them.

As we head out to leave Nana seems upset and I can tell it is causing the boys stress.

“Are you going to tell us what that meant back there?” I ask in the nicest tone I can based on her worried expression.

“If Miyu decided to look for them in the dark that means she feared they may be dead or trapped in the underworld.” She sighs deeply as pain crosses her features. “I don’t know what lead her to believe that such a thing would be possible but that place is like a disease for a SN like her, the whole land is like rotting flesh and if she gets trapped down there she could die.”

“How so? If you went there to make a deal with Izanami and survive than why can’t she?” I question, more and more intrigued in what her friend could be.

“For the same reason why Tao should never go to the Underworld, being a child of a God means that the land of the dead is pretty much a death wish if they found themselves there.”

“Miyuki is a child of a God?” Sehun asks as he walks alongside her, reaching to hold her hand in comfort.

“That isn’t what I said but it is close. I am sorry I can’t tell you guys everything but I wouldn’t want anyone to tell you guys what I am without my permission and I know she feels the same.” She says looking completely heartbroken about not telling us. She must think we think she is lying or holding back and I suddenly have the urge to tell her we understand. But before I even get the chance Kai is there lifting her chin to hold her gaze and I thought I would feel jealous but I don’t, instead I feel compelled to join him in giving her reassurance.

“Don’t worry, we understand why you can’t and we respect you for it. Don’t feel sad that you can’t tell us when it isn’t your story to tell.”

“Thank you Kris.” She says with a genuine smile and my heart seems to feel lighter than it has in a long time. Yet something irks me and I don’t know why but I feel it every time she talks to me, like something isn’t right.

“So what do we do now?” Sehun pouts dropping to the ground with a thud.

“I have to go get her, alone.” She says and without even thinking about it I respond.

“NO”

“No!”

“NO!”

“Well geez, tell me how you feel about it why don’t you.” She sighs as she joins Sehun on the floor.

“I just don’t think it’s safe for you to go by yourself, not that I don’t know you can take care of yourself but we should be there to help you and protect each other.” I say and it all just comes out of my mouth before I even process the thought.

“I agree.”

“That is all fine that you agree with one another but you can’t come with me, you guys are, well you guys are just, ugh.” She whines as she falls on her back and takes a huge sigh.

“What? What are we?” I snarl getting offended

“First and foremost you won’t be able to use your powers down there so you would be of no help to me and secondly and more importantly you guys are..” She still stales in her answer until Sehun and Kai start to smile and giggle uncontrollably and I get even more frustrated not being able to hear the thoughts they share. Is this how everyone else felt when we did it in front of them? I see why they got mad so quickly.

“Tell him why we can’t go Nana.” Kai teases her as she tries to ignore him and Sehun.

“Yeah, say it out loud!”

“Ugh, you guys can’t because you are too handsome! There are you happy now, if she sees you she may try to keep you, and I will not have any of that.” She says as her eyes glow faintly again, her possessiveness showing clearly and I wished that it was for me as well.

“You think we can’t handle a woman?” I ask slightly frustrated.

“I know you can’t, she isn’t just a woman Kris. She is the Lord of the Underworld. If she catches you and forces you to eat the food there you can never leave and I don’t think I can convince her otherwise.” She says and I think back to when she told us her story and her involvement with the gods of this world.

“We understand.” I say and before the boys have a chance to interrupt me I continue speaking. “The problem is how will we know if you are safe or need us. Staying out here renders us useless and we don’t want to feel that way.”

She sighs and I can see Kai and Sehun looking at me surprised that I was just as concerned about her as they were. She may not be my mate yet or even really close to me but that doesn’t mean I don’t care for her wellbeing or realize how important she is to my pack.

“I’m serious you guys, don’t follow me in, I will still be able to talk to you, if I have any trouble I won’t be able to call Jongin in, so I need you to watch for my flames. If you see one know that I am on my way out, if the wind starts to pick up or things of metal are being pulled toward the entrance, know that I have Miyuki with me.” She says smiling.

“So where is this entrance?”

“Ah about that.” She say sheepishly and her eyes are glued on Kai.

“Oh no, we can’t go back there Nana!” He yells at her surprising me.

“I know Jongin but it isn’t close to his den, just in the area. We don’t need to get close because I know she isn’t with him, I would have known when we were just there. He made no mention of her or even knowing that those two were her mates so I can only assume she went through the entrance before he even noticed her.” She says with a pleading look on her face.

“OK, I need to be filled in here, where?” I ask completely lost.

“She is saying that the entrance is near the Collector’s territory Hyung, which happens to be our Parents old territory.” Sehun says avoiding eye contact and unusually using honorifics.

I take my time contemplating whether or not it is such a good idea to go into our old family stomping ground. Rumors about the horrible condition must be true if a creature of death like the Collector has taken up residency there.

“I’m going to trust you, and I know I can’t stop you anyways so us being there waiting is the best option we have. Kai, take us there.” I say as we all vanish in a mist of black smoke.

 

 

Author’s Note:

OK, I really want to know what you guys think of Kris’s perspective and if you enjoyed it and want more of the other brothers as well. I have been waiting to bring Miyuki into this story because she represents my best friend and is sort of a homage to her who got me into writing stories in the first place.

I wanna give a shout out to Misstwilightfan1416 for commenting and giving me feedback from my last Author note, thanks for letting me know that some people do read them!

I hope everyone is still enjoying the story and are liking the way it is going. If you are still confused about he God thing or even more after this chapter please let me know so I can try and make it more understandable, or even let me know if you do understand and you like it or not, the God part is important to revealing what Miyuki is.

Thank you everyone!

Natsume