True Connection

When You're All Alone

WYAA Chapter 14

 

In the last couple of weeks things have been pretty crazy around here, the elves have been getting ready to move which involves packing things and making sure all their protection spells are in good working order. They also had to be sure that all the SN’s in this forest were aware that the wolves would be taking over the protection of the forest. I know the guys are excited about being more responsible but all this extra prep is starting to take its toll on me. I have been helping the Hyung’s with the protection spells and I have almost no energy left. Sehun and Kai keep sneaking into my room at night to hang out and pretty much put me to bed, all the while ing about how I still haven’t told Lay yet, but honestly the moment hasn’t presented itself. I have become close with a few of the other boys as well, Chanyeol and Chen sometimes join Sehun and Kai when we hang out, Chen’s PS4 now permanently in my room so they can play without having to share or worry about the other boys using it because it’s in here.

Only once have I woken up with four wolves on my bed with me, the two new boys claiming they fell asleep while playing and didn’t mean it even as I told them I didn’t mind. Seeing them in their wolf form makes me happy that they can share their true forms with me without feeling vulnerable, yet I feel horrible that I can’t extend the same vulnerability, I have spent most of my life trying to be invisible to any and everybody that could expose me or the people I know.

“Hey Nana can we come in and play today?” I hear Chanyeol ask from the other side of the door, I know he is with someone else but it isn’t Chen or the youngsters as they never knock.

“Sure come in.” I say as the door opens revealing Chanyeol with an irritated looking Baekhyun. I have seen him glare at me at the dinner table while Chanyeol and Chen chat with me, I don’t think he likes all the attention his best friends are giving me and I don’t blame him but still, it’s not my fault.

“Can Baekhyun play too?” He asks me, as I go to respond Baekhyun speaks first.

“Why are you asking her, its Chen’s games anyways?” He scoffs and I am in no mood to even fight with him, LeeTeuk Hyung made me put up two extra barriers this afternoon and they drained me far more than I thought it would.

“We asked to leave it in here and the least we can do is ask her to come in, I don’t just come in like the maknaes do.” He says blushing slightly. I heard him reprimand them when they came to ask if they could hang out the first time, telling them that I was a girl and they shouldn’t be disrespectful, it was sweet, though the more comfy he got the less he waited and knocked and just came in while knocking.

“It’s fine, go ahead, I’m a little tired today so I’ll just watch, oh and I bought that new game while I was out with the Hyungs so go ahead and play, I already installed it so you guys could play after patrolling.” I say not really making any attempt to move. I can see Chanyeol looking super excited while Baekhyun continues to look more irritated with me.

“Cool that’s awesome, I know we said we wanted the game but you didn’t have to get it for us! I’ll go get the guys so we can all play.” Chanyeol rushes out the room to go get the maknaes and Chen leaving me here with a grumpy Baekhyun.

“ Why are you acting like you pay attention to them, I’m sure you don’t care about us, just think we are nice to look at, probably trying to make your own little harem right?! Disgusting.” He scoffs and I am not surprised by his attitude, after the way Kai acted I’m not going to play along with this stupid ego game.

“Yup, that’s right, you caught me, I just was going to have my fun with them and move on,” I say in an uninterested voice as I sit up to leave the room, I don’t want to be the that kicked him out from playing with his friends, which I think is his plan, so I will leave even though this is my room.

“I knew you were faking it, just like all the s at school that scream at us for attention, you don’t care which one of us it is, all you girls are so superficial! Doesn’t matter if you are a Human or a SN, all you care about is our looks, not who we really are!” He is yelling at me now, and I can hear Chanyeol returning with the others, and he smirks. Oh ok, he wanted them to hear, that’s why he is egging me on, well fine I can play too, I’m tired of always being logical and trying to keep things in order, I’m too weak to hold it in anymore.

“Seeing as you know me so well and have everything figured out, I’m just going through the group, starting with the youngest and making my way up right?” I say as the boys come into view, obviously hearing the conversation. “Why else would I let them put the game system in my room, so I can lock them in and have my way with them of course?” To me this would sound ridiculous, you think I would put up with the bickering and stupid disputes they have while playing just to get into their pants, please who has that patience, half the time I go to the balcony to escape the whining.

“You ! You better stay away from my brothers, we don’t need a stupid girl like you breaking us apart!” He says as he pushes me into the wall across the hall, where his hands are gripping my arm I feel a burning pain, when I look down I see light admitting from his grip, white hot light burning my skin from contact and my eyes blinded by the brightness. I hear more yelling and feel Baekhyun being pulled away from me as my sight returns, but it is blurry and uneven. Kai is holding me and Sehun and Chanyeol are trying to calm Baekhyun down. I don’t see Chen.

“What the hell is going on you two!?” I hear a voice coming up the stairs, It’s Lay, that’s right the older boys are out with the Elves making proper introductions and left him in charge, Chen must have went to get him.

“She has been playing us Hyung, she said she already played around with Kai and Sehun and she is looking to get the rest of us too! Get her out of here before she causes a real problem!” he yells as Kai and Sehun stare at me.

“Why did you say that to him Nana?!” They ask looking worriedly at the burn marks on my forearms.

“That isn’t what I said exactly but honestly I’m tired of being nice and then ending up being judged by you guys! You all want to be treated like individuals yet when someone gives you what you want, you assume the exact same thing of them that you got from others, hypocrites.” I say as Lay comes to look at my wounds. Baekhyun is fuming and before anything else is said a blinding light fills the whole room.

“You think well thought out sentences can get you out of what you said to me?! Stop playing the victim and pay for what you have done!” I hear him yell, I see and feel nothing but a burning sensation all over my body, Kai’s grip is gone and I don’t even feel like we are in the same place anymore.

“You can’t escape from my light, once it fills an area I become the rule maker.” Baekhyun’s voice rings out from all around me. I can’t even open my eyes let alone know where he actually is.

“A light user huh? What a rare ability you have.”

“What do you know of powers, you insignificant human.” He barks back.

“There you go assuming again, I may have gone too far with my teasing but you really are a hypocrite.”

“I can burn you alive like a child with a magnifying glass, you are the ant and you should watch your mouth.” He laughs and I feel the burning sensation grow stronger.

“I’m sorry Baekhyun.” I say in a pained voice, I hear him snuff at my remark right before I hear him gasp at the sight of my illusion.

“What the hell is going on? What happened, I didn’t stop how we are back here? Where are the others?” Baekhyun questions. I still can’t see him, until he deactivates his power I’m stuck here burning up.

“What did you do?!” He yells at me, I imagine he looks so frightened I almost want to laugh, one second ago he wanted to burn me alive and now he has a scared sounding voice. I feel his power diminishing and I can feel my sight slowly coming back again.

“I have no idea, I thought you were going to kill me.” I say back to him, once he lets his power go completely I can remove the illusion and get out of here, I am running low on energy and if he doesn’t stop soon, the burns he gave me will cause my powers to leak out to try to heal them.

His light is finally gone and I realize it is because he has gone running downstairs to find his brothers, I drop my illusion and I see Kai and Sehun crouched next to me with a confused looking Lay as Chen and Chanyeol run downstairs to get a screaming Baekhyun.

“What the hell just happened one second you blind us with your power and then you are running downstairs screaming like you couldn’t even see us?” I can hear Chanyeol question Baekhyun as I slowly try to get into my room, I need to rest, I can’t hold in the pain anymore.

“Hyung, I think you need to heal Nana, she is covered in burn marks and can barely stand.” Kai says to Lay who still seems to be contemplating what the hell just happened.

Lay takes me from Kai and leads me to the room two doors down, his room is filled with medical books and I realize I shouldn’t be surprised, he is a healer.

“Listen I know we have done this before and you ended up running out the window, but please stay there while I get some stuff to put on the burns after I heal them up a bit.” He says to me as he heads over to his closet. When he opens it there is a side filed with shirts and pants but the other side is filled with medical supplies.

“I can heal the burns till just your skin is only a little red and inflamed, than I suggest you put on this burn cream so it doesn’t bother you.” He says as he walks back my way.

“I don’t think the overall burn is bad, just where he gripped my arm feels like it’s literally on fire right now.”

“You say that and it does look pretty bad but you don’t look like it really hurts all that much, you look more tired than anything else.” He says and I know that that is exactly the case. I’m doing my best to keep my power in check, the burns aren’t even my main priority right now. I can almost feel my skin trying to mend itself, SN’s with strong elemental powers heal at a much faster rate than even hereditary power users.  

  “Still what the hell happened, Baekhyun was yelling at you and then he attacked? Chen says he didn’t hear the whole conversation but I doubt it was one-sided, Baekhyun wouldn’t attack for nothing.” He says as he starts examining my wound. “Well regardless, I know he overreacted and went way too far but you didn’t need to egg him on either, I think you should both apologize to each other.”

I couldn’t hold it in anymore, I’m in serious pain mentally and physically and he’s lecturing me, I quickly jerk my arm away from his grip. “You say I should apologize to someone who, knowing full well that I am just a human, attacked me with his power and then filled the room with his power, and burned my entire body while making an effort to not hurt his brothers?! You must be outside your mind if you think I will apologize to him, thank you for the cream, but I don’t think I require your powers either.” I say and leave the room, Lay looking confused and something else I can’t decipher. I want to head to my cave and let my power out but I know I won’t make it. I’m about to be in a lot of trouble

As I stumble to my room I see Chanyeol and Chen outside a room around the corner, must be checking in with Baekhyun, funny how I’m told to apologize when he didn’t even get hurt and they are babying him but I need to say sorry, not this time. As I pass I feel Chen and Chanyeol’s eyes follow me to my door. Before I even get a chance to open my door I get pulled inside.

“Are you freaking crazy?!”

“Huh? Luhan?”

“I can feel your power leaking, what the hell is going on? Why did Kai come get me, Kris and Suho are going to sense your power if you don’t get it in check!” He is blasting me with too many questions, I just wanted to sleep.

“Can you tell them what happened Sehun, I need Kai.”

“Huh? Yeah sure but whoa why are you still covered in burns? I sent you with Lay, which was your chance to tell him!” He seems mad at me and I guess I can’t blame him but I’m in pain and tired of being blamed for everything.

“I opted out of telling him after he told me that I should tell Baekhyun sorry. Which I actually did when I forced an illusion on him but I am too tired now and seeing him will just piss me off more.”

“Why did you tell Baekhyun you had your way with us?” Kai asked me, blushing slightly at the way I kind of clung on to him.

“I will tell you later, what I really need is for you to take me to the cave, I can’t hold on much longer, the pressure is about to make my head explode.” I say as I lean into him.

“I need to know now, have you slept with them?!” Luhan yells and I see his eyes glaze over, he is having trouble controlling his power and I know it’s my fault, he really is trying to help me out.

“Well I know I went too far, but I didn’t tell him I had my way with them I had said he thinks that is what I had done with them and that my motives for inviting the guys into my room was to “have” them. Regardless of what we said to each other I didn’t attack him for calling me a that only wants to be with each of you, and that I didn’t care which of you it was. I’m tired of this , I already went over this with you Kai, and it got me in a sticky situation last time, I didn’t want to play the same stupid game with him so I kind of went off on him but I didn’t think it would have gone this far. I just wanted to show him, all of you actually, that you can’t sit there and about the way people treat you and assume who you are when you are doing exactly the same thing to me and I really haven’t done anything to deserve it, so I called him a hypocrite and I think that sent him over the edge.”

“He called you a ?” Comes a voice from my door as it squeaks open. Lay pops his head in, maybe he came to check on me even after I was rude. The boys look more worried about how much of the conversation he heard, why they look so worried after telling me I should tell him is beyond me.

“Yes he did.” I state.

“You already apologized?”

“Sort of, I apologized for retaliating against him though I think it was well deserved.”

“You put him in an illusion? Are you a witch? Is that why you took to Victoria and Amber so well?”

“No, I am no Witch that would be so much better than my current situation. You see, I am as rare, if not more so than you wolves that were able to repopulate. Though I am not the only one of my kind left, most of them have stayed in Japan where they are still worshipped.” I struggled to get out, I really need to leave.

“So what are you than, you give off a mythical feel but yet everything about your scent is human.”

“She is a fox.” Luhan states, the maknaes nodding along beside him.

“That makes sense, I knew Kai and Sehun knew something but I am surprised that you are part of the secret Hyung.” Lay says looking between all of us.

“This is all great and what not but I need to go, Kai please.” I say as I feel him transport us to the cave. What I didn’t expect was for him to bring everyone along. The second I felt the barrier of the cave my powers burst and I changed to my true form again.

Without even a word Lay came over to me and started healing my wounds, this light glow leaving his fingertips and ghosting along my burns.

“Care to explain what the hell is going on?” A voice says behind Sehun and Kai who are hovering over me.

“In your rush to leave it seems you brought the whole household with you.” Luhan says, eyes closed leaning up against the entrance of the cave. A very confused looking Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Chen looking at Lay intently.

“Who’s the Fox?” Chen says with a grin on his face. “Pun intended.”

“And where the hell are we, it feels like there is nothing outside this cave.” Baekhyun says placing balls of light throughout the cave to see well.

Sehun smacks the back of Chen’s head for his stupid joke as he gestures toward the burn marks on my skin that now looks even worse in my fox form, patches of skin missing my orange fur and my arms a charred black rather than the velvet black of my fur.

“Nana?!” Chanyeol gasps, “How did you become a fox?”

*Smack*

“Seriously man, she is a fox, come on now!” Kai says as he smacks the back of the Giant.

“I’m starting to wonder who the older ones really are.” I say as I giggle lightly at the Maknaes actions toward their elders.

“Can someone please explain to me what in the hell is going on here?!” Finally Baekhyun speaks up.

As the boys begin telling Lay, Chanyeol, Chen and Baekhyun about all the events that led up to the three of them learning my secret I notice that Lay’s eyes rarely leave my face, why I’m not sure but it was making me uneasy.

“So you see, we actually became close to her rather than the other way around because she really saved our butts.” Kai states as the other boys intently listened to his story.

Before another word is uttered Lay and Chen shift to properly kneel in front of me, slightly bowing their heads, “Thank you so much for protecting our youngest pack members, we owe you a great deal for risking your own safety for their benefit.” Chen says as they both look up at me with huge smiles on their faces. I’m barely awake, Lay’s healing powers causing me to fall asleep, but not before nodding to them and smiling back.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

“So she was lying to us this whole time, and her presence almost got them in trouble in the first place?” Baekhyun says.

“Is that all you took out of this story?” Luhan asks as he finally opens his eyes and stares blankly at Baek. “You really are a Hypocrite.”

“How can you say that after she lied to us all, and isn’t even coming clean to all of us.”

“Because she asked us not to tell anyone and that she wanted to tell us but the time isn’t right. You can all you want but she already came clean to Kris so you really have nothing to be pissed about.” Luhan says matter-of-factly.

“She already told Hyung?” The Maknaes ask.

“She just told him that she was lying to him and she didn’t want to but it was for everyone’s benefit.” He says as he remembers listening to the conversation and discussing it with Kris and Suho.

“If I were you I would apologize for being such an and either befriend her or don’t but stop being so rude to her.” With that Luhan left the cave to head home, a nice run will do him some good, he needs to clear his mind.

“So I should just be happy that she showed me her true self and move on without telling anyone? Pshh.” Before he can even make another sound Sehun has him by his collar and holding him off the ground.

“She trusted us enough to keep her secret, if you can’t even give her that, you really are a bastard.” Sehun says and drops him to the ground taking his spot near Nana again.

“You do realize you are the bigger do you not?” Lay says still holding onto Natsume as he continues to heal the damage Baekhyun had caused. “She was on the verge of a power burst, you know how painful that is, and you attacked her yet she still didn’t retaliate, she even used her powers just to get you away from her so she wouldn’t hurt you, and you are still blaming her for everything. I think you need to really think about how similar her situation is to ours, and if you would feel the same were the situation reversed. Think on that and I will see you apologize to her when she has enough strength to talk to you.” With that Kai took them all back, except for Baekhyun, he could use a good run too.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

When I woke up again I was in my bed, but not alone. I was surrounded by wolves, I realized how indecent we all looked once I realized I was still in my Fox form. I immediately began to freak out, these barriers can’t handle the strength of my power in full form. Before I even have a chance to freak out I feel a heavy weight on my back and the feeling of being washed. I look and Chanyeol has rolled over, shoving Chen away with his foot and behind my ear, completely asleep.

“He’s a er when he sleeps, it’s a strange habit.” Lay says to me from the other side, Kai and Sehun cuddled around him, Kai using my tail as a pillow.

“I must apologize to you for what happened today, not only did I say something very inappropriate to you but I also wasn’t there to protect you like I was supposed to and caused you extra pain.” He smiles sadly at me, I’m more worried about being here in this form right now than his apology.

“Stop freaking out please, I have been filtering your power through myself since I felt it leak out, I can handle it much more when you are under control and strong, trying last night really took its toll so I’m sorry I snapped at you.” It was Luhan, he had slept in here as well. “The closer I am to you the easier it is to channel your energy.” He says and his eyes still look glossy, but not as bad as last night. He was trying to help me last night, I’m not mad at all.

So unconsciously and completely out of character I lean in and I think he thought I was sniffing him so he also leaned in, and I him right on the nose. I haven’t felt this happy in a long time, to be truthful to these boys and to relax in this form, I had to thank him for giving me something I wanted to be able to do for so long.

“You’re Welcome.” He says and me back. “I don’t think you realize but you let me in, I know a lot about you now, and I’m happy to be able to give you some happiness.” He says in my mind.

“Everything?”

“I’m surprised too, with how resistant your mind was the second I started helping you filter your energy your thoughts and past came flying through so clear I think I threw up a bit on my run last night. I was so, so angry at what I saw, I’m sorry but I can’t always control how much I see.” He looked sad and I knew I couldn’t be mad at him, his power is a tough one and I have no right to try and understand it.

He smiles at me and I guess he can always read my thoughts now.

“Yup, but not always, I can shut it off from time to time if you want me to?”

All this time we are having this personal conversation and Lay is just staring at us.

“I guess I owe you too Lay, Thank you for healing me even after I was also rude to you.” I say breaking out of the silent conversation with Luhan.

“No problem, I wasn’t free from guilt either, which reminds me.” He doesn’t finish as he leans to the underneath of my bed, teeth tugging something up onto the bed with him. “I think someone needs to say sorry, especially after sneaking in here and only hopping under the bed when you were waking up.”

To my surprise it’s Baekhyun, also in wolf form.

“I’m so sorry for what I did yesterday. I know you aren’t like the other girls at school and I know you aren’t doing anything ual with any of us, I have a reason for my overreaction but they aren’t an excuse great enough for me to have attacked you.” He says his ears low, almost submissive and I can’t help but let all the anger leave me at the sight.  “I understand if you hate me forever but I am honestly sorry for all the pain and trouble I caused without even trying to understand you.” Baekhyun finishes as he looks up at me with his head low, looking so adorable I almost want to spit.

“And what exactly are your reasons Baek, can you share them with me?”  I ask, Chanyeol nudging him with a grin, Lay also giving him an encouraging smile.

“I wasn’t always a part of this pack, though this is the one I belong too, I used to be in a different pack. It was mixed with a few females and males, mostly a group of us trying to find our own pack and just hanging out as a group till we found our proper place. This one wolf, she played me, used to tell me I was her one and only mate, until I found her saying it to all the other males in the group as well, I never went far with her but it still hurt, I thought even if I didn’t find my pack I would never be alone, but I was wrong. I should have known she wasn’t the one for me, I heard that when you find your mate it’s like you have known them your whole life, even if you just met.” He tells me and I can’t stop the tear that rolls down my cheek. He also leans in and my tears just as Sehun had done before.

“Hey no fair we all want kisses!” I hear Chen whine as the boys start dog piling on top of me, kissing me all over as even Luhan and Lay join in. I feel so complete at this moment, finally free to be me in front of others I think earned the right to see and I am not bothered by all of them being so close. I only ever felt like this with my Hyungs, but even then they aren’t as close to being like me as these boys are, and I feel the difference. I feel like they understand me so much more than I ever thought anyone could.

Some of the guys left and a few fell back asleep, clothes thrown all around the room, I knew if I changed froms I'd be and would need clothes so a grabbed some stuff off the floor and head into the bathroom. When I came out I had Chanyeol’s tank top on, Lay’s joggers and Sehun’s hoodie.

Seeing as how the lump of wolf on my bed was just a pile of fur and snores I decided I really needed a run. Lay healed me more than he even originally said he would, not even a red mark left on my skin, I was in tip top shape and I felt so less heavy, just lighter, so a run just sounded great.

I hadn’t even made it as far as the Fairies tree when I felt someone catching up to me.

“It’s unusual to see you guys up so early wait, huh?” The voice says as he comes up alongside me.

“Good Morning Tao, I know it is early but I felt a run would do me good.” I respond.

“Why are you wearing such an array of my brother’s clothes?” He asks sniffing around me. "I thought you were them."

“Ah yeah they left all their stuff in my room and were still sleeping so I grabbed what I could and this seems to be what I had, it was still dark and I couldn’t really see what I was collecting haha.” I say not sure if he will understand what I mean.

“Those guys never take care of their clothes when they change, look how wrinkled that tank is, freaking Chanyeol!” He says as he starts complaining about the proper way to take care of the gifts he receives. He went on to about fashion and how it deserves more than to just be tossed on the floor, I can’t help but giggle at his little rant.

“What?! Fashion is important now a days, you could use some pointers yourself young lady.” He chides me and I know he isn’t wrong.

“By the way, you are keeping up with me way to well for a Human, what kind of training do you have?” He asks as a smirk forms on his lips. Why do all these guys have the same annoying smirk whenever they try and challenge me?

“Want to find out? I’m in a sparing type mood.” I challenge back, never one to back down from a challenge.

“Oh do I!”

 

 

Author’s Note:

Oh My Gosh!! This chapter went through so many changes, I don’t even know if half the stuff I wrote and deleted will show up again, I really struggled here so I am so happy I got past this stump. As always thank you all so much for reading and commenting on my story, I love to hear from you guys!

Special Shout out to NykitaBanana for the flattering comment, I hadn’t really had too many comments in a while and yours was so sweet, and I’m glad you like how I portray everybody and I’m so pleased you love the OC, I wanted to create a strong character but I didn’t want her to be too strong or too weak. I just wanted someone who isn’t pushed around and understands that she won’t always have a knight in Shining armor and that sometimes you have to be your own hero, but that doesn’t mean you won’t accept help when it comes.