Twenty One

The Clock's Footsteps
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            “This is so weird…”

            “I know…,” I replied, holding tightly to Jay’s hand.

            The door to the now awaken Rachel’s hospital room was right in front of our noses, but we couldn’t bear to open the door. Just an hour ago, Jay and I were sitting at home, exchanging words; trying to make of everything that I had dumped onto him.

            I could see in Jay’s eyes as I told him everything, he was happy yet sad at the same time.

            “I just… I guess I’m just jealous,” Jay answered when I asked him what was wrong. “You actually have family here… And they want you.”

            “I guess…”

            “HyunA,” Jay quickly said. “I’m not saying you should feel bad in any way. You should be thrilled to find your family. You won’t have unanswered questions anymore.”

            “I guess,” I repeated.

            Jay didn’t have to ask why I was reacting with the energy of a gravestone. He just wrapped me within his arms, “It’ll be great.”

            “Yeah,” I nuzzled my head into his neck.

            Back to the present, with a final gathering of strength, I turned the knob and walked into the large suite. Sabrina and Brian was sitting next to her, and covered her from my view in the process. As they turned their bodies to see who had come through the door, I saw the first glance of Rachel behind her closed and stoned face.

            Though the dark circles were lining the bottom of her eyes and the color was out of her skin, she was still unbelievably beautiful. Even with her dead weakened body, her aura had an overwhelming class. I stopped in my track, and went for a bow.

            Even though we were biologically family, I felt a barrier in between. The feeling of different classes could easily punch one in the face. Rachel’s smile caught my attention and her skinny hand was held out towards me.

            “Stella…”

            Her voice… it must’ve triggered something. The blurry memories I once had slowly started to open up. I remembered the skinny hands coming towards my face to pinch my cheeks, and the blurry yet beautiful face that laughed at me when I swatted her hands off of me. The last vague memory I could recall were the voice who screamed for Stella. The hazy face showed fear before covering her face with defensive arms as glass shattered from the driver’s side.

            “Hello,” I finally said. “Nice to meet you.”

            I didn’t realize that my words would be so hurtful. Rachel’s excited smile slowly turned bittersweet. I could see the gathering of positive attitude when Rachel smiled again

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter