Can You be Mine Instead?

No True Loves Allowed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Park Chanyeol is nothing extraordinary or special. Maybe except for his six-foot stature and his more-than-big ears that stick out of his head like some kind of antenna. It made him look like Dumbo. He is a senior and will be out of high school in a few months with mediocre grades - not failing and not spectacular either. His parents are pretty much rich because they are both professionals; his father is a lawyer and his mother is a doctor. You could already imagine how his childhood is.

Talents? He could play the piano, guitar and drums (he has a lot of free time when he was a kid) but he's not thatuch of a singer so he sticks to writing music and maybe hope that they will be heard some time. Or maybe at least it will be heard by the persons he wrote them for. He tired to let his parents hear one of the songs he wrote for them but they were too busy to pay attention to him.

And, well, he needs a whole planet of courage to be able to come up and even talk to Byun Baekhyun: the muse of most of his songs ever since middle school.

The first time that he saw the sunny and bubbly kid when he transfered to Chanyeol's school, the latter knew that Baekhyun is different from all the kids that he has met before.

And he was right. Baekhyun became the reason why he finds himself inside his room, humming and then strumming a few chords at his guitar until they weave together and form a song; the lyrics would soon come after and when it is finished, he files it away into his desk drawer and will sit there until... who knows when.

The only people who knows about his thing for Baekhyun are his two hyungs, Jongin and Sehun. Jongin is in third year as Performing Arts major and Sehun has just graduated last year and is working on to take over his father's company. They told him that he should grow some balls and ask Baekhyun out because he has nothing to lose.

Easy for them to say because they are not in his shoes. Chanyeol is one giant mass of awkward and he will make a fool out of himself even before he could get within a meter radius of Baekhyun. Not to mention that Baekhyun is currently dating the basketball team's captain, Wu Yifan. The popular, hot heartthrob with good looks and plays on court. He's an airhead but who cares? He could shoot hoops more than he could score on his tests.

And well, Baekhyun is a cute ball of everything nice with pretty eyes always lined with eyeliner and has a voice that could melt Chanyeol by just one note. And the way he walks, oh god, hold me.

Of course, it is only fitting for two of the most popular guys to be together because they suit each other. Birds of the same feather flock together, blah blah, blah. The world is a selfish . Why would all of the beautiful people need to be together? Why can't they share themselves to the less privileged like himself?

Chanyeol is bitter and hopeless and he thinks that maybe he's bound to be all miserable.

Or maybe not because one day, when he is walking from the music room, he heard shuffling noises that came from the corner and the end of the corridor that he is walking on. Curious because it is already late, he tried to make his footsteps light (a great feat because he is a noisy oaf with clumsy feet) and slowly peeked around the corner to see what has been making the noise.

His eyes widened when he saw Baekhyun's boyfriend with one of the players of the basketball team. The guy with panda eyes. And they're, well, Chanyeol refused to look more than a second. Their lips pressed together was enough visual to scar him.

His heart raced at what he saw. How about Baekhyun? he asked himself as he slid slowly to the floor, all strength left his legs. All of his thoughts revolved around how Baekhyun will take what he just saw. Did he know? Is he and Yifan already over? But he didn't hear anything about a break up...

"I should go," he heard Yifan spoke. It was eerily quiet that he could even hear their breaths even though they were a good distance away from him. But maybe Chanyeol just have super ears. There was a thud on the wall and it made him jump. Maybe it is already safe to scram off. Chanyeol pushed himself to his feet and made a mad dash to the gates, taking a detour from his usual route.

He was in a hurry to go home and maybe drown himself with loud music to make him forget what he just saw but then he is bound to hurt himself because he wasn't focusing on his way and it seemed like he dragged somebody else with him. He felt a body collide with his and he fell hard on his . He also heard an 'ouch!' from across him. Chanyeol cursed his feet.

"I'm so sorry! I wasn't looki..." he trailed off when he saw purple at the corner of his eyes. Just his luck. The first time that he gets this close to Byun Baekhyun, he bumps into him and possibly injuring him. His first words weren't even 'You're so beautiful' or 'I really love your hands', but it was an apology.

"It's okay, though I think my will be sore until next week," Baekhyun murmured and Chanyeol's brain gears turned faster than usual and he is blushing at how his brain has interpreted what Baekhyun has just said. It must've shown on his face because Baekhyun was openly laughing with a slight blush on his snowy cheeks as well.

"That came out wrong but what has gotten you in a hurry, Chanyeol?"

"I-I... I was just... Wait. You know my name?!" Chanyeol's head snapped up so fast that he thinks something snapped on his neck.

The purple haired chuckled. "You're cute. Of course I know you. We're in the music club together, Yeol. And I'm a fan of your songs, really."

Did Byun Baekhyun just called me Yeol??! Oh my god! but before his brain and heart could go overdrive, Chanyeol cleared his throat and got to his feet and offered his hand to the other on instinct. His heart jumped to his throat and blocked his air when Baekhyun didn't hesitate and took his proferred hand with a smile.

Please don't let me die on him yet.

"Are you okay?" the smaller called him out from the haze of his thoughts and flinched when he realized that he was still holding Baekhyun's glorious hands. Chanyeol has been the fan of them ever since he saw them brushing along the piano keys during the first time the he met Baekhyun in the music club.

"Ahh, yeah. I... I'm really sorry for tackling you. I, ahh..." I just saw your boyfriend smooching the panda dude and I can't unsee it.

"That's okay, Yeol. Why were you in a hurry though?"

"Oh, oh. Nothing. I... How bout you? Th-the club ended half an hour ago."

Baekhyun smiled brightly and it knocked the breath out of Chanyeol's lungs. "I am waiting for Yifannie. His practice ends around this time so I figured I'd surprise him and we could go on a date..." The taller tuned the other out because he is plagued with with thoughts of confessing and keeping his mouth shut with what he has just seen.

"...yeol? Chanyeol? Are you okay? Are you sick? You keep on spacing out."

"Ohh, s-sorry. I-I'd just go on, then. Sorry again, Baekhyun-ssi," Chanyeol bowed his head and fixed the strap of his bag and without waiting for any reply, he walked past Baekhyun, with a confused mind and aching heart.

 

Chanyeol tried his best to stay away from Baekhyun since then, afraid that he might slip something up and he ends up to be the reason why they person that has been a big part of his happiness (even from afar) will get hurt.

But then wouldn't he get more hurt if he knew of it later? What if he finds it out with his own two eyes? What if he will catch them in the act? Wouldn't that be more heartbreaking for Baekhyun?

But he doesn't want to be the douche that ruins other people's relationship. It was all confusing Chanyeol and it was affecting him more than he should be. It would seem like he was the one in Baekhyun's shoes with how he is acting and his bestfriends were taking notice of this.

Sehun called them over for a drink because they hate clubbing and bars but they won't say no to booze. Sehun only calls for something like this when he is stressed. Chanyeol is curious as to what made the elder call him and Jongin over. They knew how dedicated Sehun is to his father's business, even though they may not be really in best terms.

Still, Chanyeol has his own problem and he can't be distracted from it even after hearing how Jongin has been chasing the friend he made when he entered college. The guy is a promiscuous but his hyung doesn't seem to mind, saying that there is something worth salvageable in him.

His mind is still on Baekhyun and his boyfriend issue that he didn't notice that Jongin and Sehun were already eyeing him suspiciously.

"Yah, Chanyeol," Jongin called him but he didn't hear a thing. He was realizing how stupid he is for avoiding Baekhyun. It is more likely to raise suspicion to him because he saw that the other was trying to greet him for a couple of times already these past few days. He couldn't deny that he could see that the purple haired was confused and slightly offended because Chanyeol is acting like they don't know each other.

That's it! If Baekhyun is wasting his time and trying to get to talk to Chanyeol, if he will respond, then more time will be off of his hands and he may never have the time to find out by his random loitering around.

"Park Chanyeol!" Sehun yelled and threw a pillow on the youngest's face that made him topple down the couch he was sitting on.

"OH SEHUN!"

"THAT IS HYUNG FOR YOU! YOU INSOLENT BRAT! You are being weirdly quiet. What's going on?" Chanyeol remembered Baekhyun and he needs to work on his plan ASAP.

"Sorry hyungs but I need to go," and with that, Chanyeol is racing down the hall and fighting his feet from tripping him. It is time to use Baekhyun's number that he has secretly fished out of the student files.

 

Chanyeol breathed in relief when Baekhyun didn't even hesitate on agreeing to come with him for coffee as an apology for colliding into him another day.

"Yifan has extra practice hours today so I'm pretty much free," Baekhyun explained. "I actually thought you hated me or something. Were you avoiding me, Yeol? Did I do something wrong?"

The taller shook his head. "No! I... I don't hate you Baekhyun. I... I'm just s-shy." and he scolded himself for retreating back to his awkward shell.

"Well, that is great! I think we will be good friends, Yeollie!"

And Chanyeol's plan has commenced.

It was easier than he has thought because it seems like Baekhyun has more free time than he thought. They started eating lunch together when Baekhyun asked Chanyeol where he is eating his lunch.

"Why?"

"Because I have no one to eat with, Yeollie. Don't you want to eat with me?" and Baekhyun pouts and that is seriously dangerous for Chanyeol's self control. He frowned confusedly.

"You have your lunch group, right?"

Baekhyun smiled sheelpishly but his eyes were sad. "They are all Yifan's friends and since he's out to practice for the upcoming intershcool finals tournament, he's not t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter