Chapter 6

Erstwhile
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunday is Junhyun’s favourite day.

 

Baekhyun acknowledges this because Junhyun would always wake up with a bright smile on his face, ready to be pampered with kisses from his father—and Baekhyun would gladly do. Jaehyun is always the late riser, he would not be slightly affected by his brother jumping on the bed and he would always continue sleeping. Baekhyun notices that his twins are complete opposites; Junhyun, the loud one, tends to laugh at anything anyone says while Jaehyun, however, has never spoken even once. Baekhyun tries not to admit it—but Junhyun and Jaehyun are the exact copies of their parents.

 

“Jae, come on, let’s get you all fresh and ready before you have your breakfast.” Baekhyun slowly and carefully says to his son, “We’re going to visit uncle today.”

 

Jaehyun stares at his eyes and grins. Baekhyun’s heart softens, knowing how his sons have grown to love their deceased uncle—his brother. Sunday is the day Baekhyun would bring them back to his hometown, to visit his family. His sons loved going to Gyeonggi-do, preferring the tranquil view of the mountains rather than the tall building and busy streets of Seoul.

 

“Up,” Junhyun pouts, clawing at Baekhyun’s legs as he sits on the wooden floor. “Up! Up!”

 

“Jun-ah, you’re big enough to walk now,” Baekhyun leans down to reach his son’s height. “Do you still need appa to carry you?”

 

Junhyun determinedly nods. “Up.”

 

“But Jae is—”

 

“Appa,” Junhyun says in a warning tone, “Up!”

 

Baekhyun shakes his head at this, laughing as his son tries to act like he was angry. He eyes Jaehyun, who quietly nibbles on his toast as he sits in his baby chair. Baekhyun bites his lips in worry. Picking Junhyun up from the floor, he walks to his baby who senses his movement and turns to look at him. “Jae-ah,”

 

Jaehyun smiles, and always, offers Baekhyun his toast. Baekhyun pinches his cheek and Junhyun fumes in jealousy. Baekhyun grins. “Cartoons?” 

 

His son shakes his head and points to his unfinished breakfast. His father nods, comprehending. “Okay,” He kisses Jaehyun’s head. “Appa is going to get ready just for a while. Be a good boy and take care of Jun.”

 

Jaehyun nods in excitement, grinning at him before throwing a plastic toy—scoring a bull’s-eye on Junhyun’s face. It took exactly three seconds for his brother to start crying. Baekhyun sighs. “You’re lucky that you’re cute, Jae.”

 

 

 

 

“I hope you’re doing fine,”

 

Baekhyun says, gently patting on the lump of the ground. He begins to tell stories to his deceased brother, just like he always does, with his sons staring at him in curiosity. Baekbeom has been there for him through ups and downs, and being the only siblings in the family—Baekhyun has been lonely ever since. “Jun, Jae and I have been missing all of you very much.”

 

Baekhyun would jinx it—but he was indeed, unlucky. Baekbeom was too young to let death take him away, but his grandparents were no excuse. They had grown old and a few weeks after Baekbeom’s funeral and Baekhyun’s pregnancy, they had passed away as well. Baekhyun had lost everything he loved.

 

But as he glances at his twins, who are both imitating him by patting their great grandparents’ graves, Baekhyun smiles lovingly. Perhaps he has yet to lose everything. The most precious thing in the world to him is his pair of twins, and he would do anything to keep them happy. Though the only thing they would want, another parent, is out of reach. Baekhyun purses his lips. This was no time to think about him.

 

“Life hasn’t been good to me, hyung,” Baekhyun sighs. “Ever since you passed away, it has been nothing but hardships.”

 

He wonders how life would be like if Chanyeol and him didn’t know each other back then. Perhaps he would spend more time taking care of his brother, rather than fooling around in Chanyeol’s car. As a result, he had received the biggest heartbreak and a dead brother. But he had also received the best thing he never knew he needed, and if it weren’t for Chanyeol, his sons would’ve never been here as well.

 

“Years passed and now life has been good from time to time, hyung—I wish you were here to face it with me…” He gathers Junhyun and Jaehyun into his embrace. “I miss you so much.”

 

He does not realize he has been crying, not until Jaehyun looks up to him and wipes the tears on his cheeks away. Junhyun buries his face inside Baekhyun’s coat, murmuring his name and wraps his chubby arms around him. Baekhyun, feeling incredibly touched and overwhelmed, cries even more. “My sons have been good to me, thank god.” He laughs slightly. “They are the world to me just like you were, hyung. The greatest brother I’ve ever had.”

 

Baekhyun does a last greeting to his grandparents before he holds Junhyun by the hand and carries Jaehyun in his arms. With one look at the graveyard, Baekhyun smiles and turns around, feeling a lot better than he had ever did. Junhyun tugs on his hand. “Appa…”

 

“Yes, baby?” He says, walking them to his car. “We’re going to visit grandpa and grandma now. Are you excited?”

 

Junhyun nods, but his eyes droop in sadness as soon as they reach his car and it hurts Baekhyun to see him in that condition. “What’s wrong, Jun?”

 

“Appa,” Junhyun mumbles. “Don’t cry…”

 

Baekhyun chuckles before planting a soft kiss on his son’s forehead. Considering his son was a fast talker, he feels proud of him. “I won’t. Not anymore.”

 

Safe and secure in their baby seats, his sons hum in excitement. Baekhyun takes a deep breath in before driving to his old house in the countryside. “I hope your grandparents are just as excited to see us.”

 

 

And they are.

 

As soon as Baekhyun arrives, his mother storms out of the house, not bothering to greet him as she carries her grandson. Junhyun looks startled for a moment before he recognizes his grandmother, and he throws his arms around her, cackling. Baekhyun stares at them in fondness, before he gets out of his car and greets his father, who was holding hands with Jaehyun, walking into the house.

 

“How have you been, mom?”

 

“Great, I suppose.” She coos at Junhyun who is currently playing with his favourite puzzle set. “Your old man has been joining this gardening club in the neighbourhood. It’s nice to see him spending his time with something productive.”

 

Baekhyun laughs before unpacking the food he had brought from home. He hears Junhyun giggling while playing with Jaehyun, who has a bright smile on his face, and his heart plummets. This was enough for a complete family. “Good for dad, then. Now, how have you been?”

 

“Honestly,” She distracts herself from preparing the drinks. “I have been worried for my dearest son. Have you been eating well?”

 

“I’m fine, mom. Just a little stressed with work and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter