Chapter 22

Erstwhile
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A few days later, Baekhyun finds himself walking back and forth in his office, phone trapped in between his ear and shoulder as he tilts his head, hands too occupied with files and designers’ portfolios. “Yes, Ms. Yoon, I apologize for walking out of the boutique the other day, but my son was admitted to the hospital—I didn’t expect my client to walk out just like that, too. I’m truly sorry. Can we reschedule?”

 

He fixes the framed photo of him holding his two children, brushing off the dust sitting by his table and accidentally knocks on his cup of coffee, startled at the sight of coffee stains on his paperwork. “Oh crap—ah, yes, Ms. Yoon, I’m still here—uh, is Thursday fine for you? …Great, great, thanks, see you there!”

 

He sighs as he hangs up the phone, shoving it back in his pockets. Cursing quietly under his breath, Baekhyun swings the door open, only to gasp when Jongin is standing right in front of him, fist clenched and ready to knock. “Mr. Byun?”

 

“Jongin, could you get me some napkins? I accidentally spilled coffee on my table,” Baekhyun whines helplessly, giving up on his first day back to work after a few weeks of taking care of his son in the hospital. “And remember that smug boutique owner? She’s super pissed at me for dashing off when I brought Mr. Park and his fiancée to her boutique!”

 

Jongin cringes at the older man’s misery, awkwardly patting on his shoulder. “Uh, yeah… Speaking of Mr. Park, uhm, his fiancée is here… She doesn’t look so well.”

 

“But we have a meeting with her on Thursday… Did she forget?” Baekhyun blinks, hands clutching his coffee-stained suit. “Is she okay?”

 

Jongin purses his lips as he shakes his head. “I think you should see it for yourself. She’s in the waiting room. Don’t worry about your table, Mr. Byun. I’ll take care of it.”

 

The wedding planner flashes Jongin a bright grin, pinching his blushing cheeks. “Thanks, Jongin.”

 

His assistant nods before he walks into the office. Baekhyun doesn’t miss the way Jongin groans at the sight of coffee-spilled table. He chuckles slightly, fixing the collar of his shirt before he enters the waiting room with a smile on his face—only to frown when he sees the woman’s teary eyes. “Chaeyoung?”

 

Chaeyoung flinches, hastily grabbing her purse as she stands up to bow in front of him. “Mr. Byun…”

 

“Hey, what’s wrong?” He approaches the crying woman, taking one of her hands in his gently as he takes a proper look at her. Baekhyun doesn’t expect for Chaeyoung to sob louder, pulling him into a hug as she wraps her arms around him. “Chaeyoung, are you okay?”

 

Chaeyoung shakes her head, sobbing against Baekhyun’s blazer. “I think… I-I think Chanyeol is cheating on me…”

 

Baekhyun stiffens, looking at the way Chaeyoung cry reminding him of when he had his heart broken by the same person. “…What?”

 

“H-He keeps on coming home really late at night and that one day he went out just like that, without telling me anything! He doesn’t pick up my calls, he doesn’t answer my texts, and he barely spends time with me anymore!” Chaeyoung cries, fists clenched tight on Baekhyun’s suit. “Is this—is this how it will be in our marriage? We’re not even married yet and he’s already like this! I don’t know what to do…”

 

“I’m sure he had his reasons,” Baekhyun hushes, rubbing her back as she rests her head on his shoulder, hiccupping. “Maybe he had some work to do…?”

 

“Bull!” She exclaims. Baekhyun could feel his shoulder pads dampening due to her tears. “The other day, he snuck out late at night and returned at 4 in the morning! When I asked him where he went, he pretended like he was asleep. There’s someone else—I know there is. There’s something he’s not telling me.”

 

Baekhyun stares at her in pity, guilt itching on his throat. He doesn’t realize how much it would truly hurt for Chaeyoung to know that her fiancée has children with her own wedding planner. The uncomfortable feeling in his gut doesn’t go away. “Mr. Park isn’t cheating on you, I’m sure of it.”

 

She continues to weep, silver purse long fallen on the ground without them knowing that it did. He tries to soothe her cries with gentle words, letting her cry in his embrace. It’s the least he could do as a person who ruined her only chance at happiness. “Don’t cry, please. He loves you very, very much.”

 

The sobbing subsides as she cranes her neck, pouting. “How would you know?”

 

“Every time I see him look at you, I could just see that obvious glint he has in his eyes. He adores you,” Baekhyun says softly, recalling the way he saw the couple interact at the hall, his office, the boutique, everywhere. “And he’s going to marry you.”

 

Chaeyoung sniffles, wiping her knows with the back of her hand. “I don’t want the wedding to be in November anymore…”

 

He pauses just when he’s about to hand her a tissue, his arm awkwardly hanging mid-air. What do you mean?

 

“I don’t like feeling so anxious like this, knowing that he’s still not officially mine just yet.” She looks away, playing with her fingers. He knows that she feels bad for requesting such thing, but at the same time, Baekhyun understands. It was her insecurities talking. “Mr. Byun, you’d always want the best for your client, right…?”

 

“Yes,” Baekhyun answers almost immediately. “Yes, of course.”

 

“I want to get married in the next two months.” Chaeyoung announces with no absolute hesitance, no trace of doubt etched on her face. Baekhyun is too speechless to say anything at this point, opting to listen to her further explanations.

 

“I-I know that it will be really hard for you to reschedule everything and all the bookings, the venue… I’m sorry but I can’t wait anymore—I hope…you can help me…” She practically begs, crouching down to pick up her purse before she turns to look at her wedding planner with a pleading look. “I want to get married to Chanyeol as soon as possible. Do you think you can make that happen?”

 

Baekhyun stays quiet for a moment before he smiles reassuringly, wiping the last bits of her tears with his thumb. “I’ll do my best for my favorite couple.”

 

 

 

 

After he exits the building of his office, Chanyeol runs to the florist nearby. The older woman sends him a knowing smile, wrapping up a bouquet of roses and ties it with a white ribbon. He blushes at this, embarrassed to know the fact that even the florist recognizes him because he kept on buying the same roses from her.

 

“Meeting your special someone again, I see…” She hums teasingly as she hands him the bouquet of flowers. “What a gentleman.”

 

“Ah, no,” Chanyeol scratches his head, chuckling. “I’m just visiting someone at the hospital.”

 

The florist shrugs, pointing at Chanyeol’s ring finger. “Whatever you say, young man. The ring on your finger won’t lie to me like you did, though.”

 

Chanyeol awkwardly laughs, thanking her before he walks out of the shop. He stares at the engagement ring on his finger, feeling something bubbling in his chest but he chooses to ignore it as he makes his way to his car and dials Baekhyun’s number on his phone.

 

“Hey, Baek. I’m on my way to the hospital,” He says, fastening his seatbelt on. He thinks that he hears a fa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter