Chapter 4

Erstwhile
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

His mother and his father weren’t in love.

 

That was what Chanyeol’s mother had told him when he was a child. His mother said that they were trapped in an arranged marriage—and that they eventually do fell in love. They felt thankful to their parents for bringing them together. What scared Chanyeol was when she said that he was going to go through the same thing.

 

The first time Chanyeol had brought Chaeyoung to his parents’ home was a few months ago. He announced that their relationship was getting serious, and that he had proposed to be by her side until the day he deceases. His mother, Park Hana, pursed her lips and walked away—leaving the two lovers alone and Mr. Park, who awkwardly coughed, stepped out of the room as well.

 

His mother did not approve of Chaeyoung—somehow, she had wanted Chanyeol to marry someone better, or someone of her choosing. Besides, she was also quite upset, having to find out that her son was in love for the longest time and did not even find the time to tell her.

 

“I don’t approve of this marriage, son,” She told him, not sparing a glance to his son’s lover who had her head hung low, ashamed.

 

“Mom,” Chanyeol patiently said. “I love her, and I’m going to marry her...”

 

“Suit yourself.” Mrs. Park scoffed. “Don’t expect to be welcomed here, then.”

 

 

 

“He proposed to me under the rain—god, it was so romantic!”

 

His fiancée begins to talk about their relationship, with their wedding planner nodding at every word she says, and Chanyeol looks at him in pity and in confusion. Baekhyun laughs along when Chaeyoung tells him how Chanyeol had confessed his love for her under the rain, in front of everyone. He has his fists clenched as he desperately looks at Baekhyun, a part of him wanting Baekhyun to look back at him.

 

Three years; they have not been seeing each other for three years. And in those three years, Chanyeol have always felt empty, somehow. He reminisces the way Baekhyun left without saying a word and took half of his heart with him—without any warning. Though now, Byun Baekhyun is here, right in front of him, looking so beautiful and still has the same smile that he has always seen three years ago.

 

“Your fiancé must be a very nice person,” Baekhyun says, finally looking at him and Chanyeol freezes, his heart stopping its pace. Baekhyun is smiling, and he’s glowing. Their past has crept up to him slowly and painfully, leaving him breathless. “You both are lucky to have each other.”

 

“Of course, Chanyeol is the most perfect person you ever ask for,” Chaeyoung leans in closer to him, linking his arm with hers. “We’re in love and we would be so grateful if you could make our wedding as exquisite as it could be.”

 

Baekhyun chuckles despite his broken heart and he stares at his lap, unwilling to look at the jubilant lovers in front of him. Deep in his heart and gut, all he feels is guilt—to think that his sons would never have the chance to see their father. He shakes his head and distracted himself. “Absolutely.”

 

“Great!” Chaeyoung exclaims. “We’ve been planning to have the wedding on my dear Chanyeol’s birthday, if that’s okay. I hope there will be any available places and not too crowded.”

 

“I will make anything possible for my clients,” Baekhyun says, smooth and professional. “Besides, the 27th of November is the perfect date for a wedding. Nowadays, people often have their weddings during summer, but this time, your wedding would be in late autumn, then.”

 

“Gosh, that’s so perfect!” Chaeyoung claps her hands. “Right, babe?”

 

Chanyeol bites his lips. “Y-Yeah…”

 

After all, the fact that Chaeyoung hasn’t even told him the date of his birthday—but Baekhyun already knows; he remembers. Inevitably, Chanyeol’s heart beats in frantic excitement. He remembers me.

 

How can he not? Chanyeol knows, at a certain point of their secret relationship in the past—they really did love each other. Even if everything did not end up like they way they wanted it to, Chanyeol knows that he once loved Baekhyun with all his heart and perhaps, he still does.

 

“As for the wedding dress, I will hire the best designers,” Baekhyun says as he flips the pages of the multiple designers’ portfolios and Chaeyoung’s eyes glimmer with anticipation. “You will not have to worry about anything. I’ll be handling it all.”

 

Chaeyoung and Baekhyun continue to have a heated conversation and plans upon the wedding, but Chanyeol could only stare at his erstwhile lover in adoration and the undying love he has for him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter