Chapter 5

Erstwhile
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun is not a saint, an angel.

 

There are times where he would hate someone so much that he wants them to vanish out of his life, like the doctor who calmly informed him that his brother had died. Sometimes he would force himself to hate someone—but not Chaeyoung. If it’s anyone to hate, Baekhyun, unfortunately, hates himself.

 

He listened, nodded and smiled to each and every word Chaeyoung said as she excitedly told him about her love story with Park Chanyeol. She told him about how Chanyeol and her got together after a party, and she told him about how Chanyeol first told her that he loved her during Christmas Eve. She told him about how he proposes to her on her birthday and both of them are so deeply in love—and she told him about how she has been a fan of him and desperately wants him to plan her wedding.

 

“Basically, Chanyeol was the most perfect boyfriend anyone could ever want.” Chaeyoung said, clear and proud. “There isn't a day that he wouldn’t bring me flowers and take me out. Gosh, am I telling too much about us, Chanyeol?”

 

And Chanyeol… He looked so happy. So happy that it broke Baekhyun to know that he was the only one who was been tough with life—and their twins. To which Chanyeol doesn’t know the existence of.

 

Chanyeol laughed lightly. “Of course not, honey. Chaeyoung here is the most perfect girlfriend, too.”

 

Heartbreak. It’s 2011 all over again.

 

Baekhyun really did think that he had finally moved on from loving Chanyeol. But how could he? That man—the one who had his heart all these times, those hard times he had trying to stay sane and take care of his children—their children. Chanyeol, however, looked so calm and composed—as if he is a complete stranger and they have never drowned in sweet whispers. Still, Baekhyun could not bring himself to hate any of them.

 

 

 

He stares at his hands for the longest time, contemplating on things that he does not even know.

 

The night was filled with bright stars, fireworks painted across the starry skies. Cold wind brushing against tree leaves and Baekhyun watches the busy streets from his apartment. It was one of those nights where he would find it hard to breathe and think about what has gotten into his mind.

 

There, on his king sized bed, is his son—staring back at him with his head tilted and small mouth opened. Baekhyun catches the twinkle in Jaehyun’s eyes, those eyes resembling his father’s that his son is too young to even acknowledge the existence of. Baekhyun feels sorry for his sons. He was a terrible parent. He reaches over to gently pull Jaehyun into an embrace, with his son resting his head on Baekhyun’s shoulder.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter