Chapter 12

Erstwhile
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

8 A.M.

 

Chanyeol had sent him a text at 8 in the morning. It’s almost half past nine, already, but Baekhyun just keeps on staring at his phone – the empty conversation room with just one single text from Park Chanyeol. The text was a short one, but it has Baekhyun’s heart racing unexpectedly; a single I need to talk to you blinds him by the eyes. What more does Chanyeol want?

 

A few years ago, he made it clear to Baekhyun that he did not want him. Two nights ago, he made it clear to his own mother that he was about to marry his first and last love; none of which was Baekhyun. What is there to talk about, anyways? How he left him alone to suffer?

 

He had been doing fine with his life, with his two sons before Chanyeol came back. And even when Chanyeol did, it would have been easier if they pretended that nothing had happened between them. He’s getting married; there’s nothing Baekhyun could do to stop him – not that he wants to. He knows that Chanyeol is in love with her—he knows a man in love when he sees one. Or perhaps, he knows a man is in love because he thought that Chanyeol was in love with him once.

 

‘There’s nothing to talk about, Chanyeol.’

 

It has not even been three minutes before Chanyeol replies, ‘Please, Baekhyun’.

 

And Baekhyun, sighing, does not know whether he’s making the right decision or not when he tells his ex boyfriend to meet him at his office by noon.

 

 

 

 

 

Seeing his mother cry was the last thing he ever wanted to happen.

 

It hurt him. But the elderly woman had gone too far; he has seen how she treated his fiancée like dirt. Chaeyoung was a strong girl, for handling all of those hardships and she wants to be with him, still.

 

A few days earlier, his parents had invited him to their house for dinner. Figuring that it was a good chance to get Chaeyoung and his mother to bond together, Chanyeol insisted on going – but his fiancée was absolutely against it.

 

“You don’t understand,” Chaeyoung cried against his chest that evening, “Your mother hates me.”

 

When Chanyeol went over to his parents’ house, just to shout at his mother and spite mean words to her, he spent almost two hours just sitting in his car after walking out of their house. If his mother could not accept a woman like Kim Chaeyoung – beautiful, clever, kind – then would she even consider to accept him dating a man, a few years back?

 

Chanyeol doubts it.

 

Hence, now, Chaeyoung spends her time in the kitchen, cooking breakfast for two – Chanyeol could not help but wonder how he could make everyone around him happy. He smiles at the way Chaeyoung catches his dazed gaze and flashes him a grin. They have been together for years, a part of him knows that he wants to spend his entire life with her – but the bigger part of him scares his whole being.

 

It’s hesitation. Hesitation is pulling him back, tearing him apart and wrecking him up. Even if his heart knows the reason behind his reluctance, his mind continues to wonder why he would ever hesitate upon marrying the prettiest girl he had ever met in his life. Chanyeol scrolls through the numbers on the contact list of his phone before his fingers stop at a familiar name.

 

‘I need to talk to you.’

 

 

 

 

 

“Sorry…”

 

Baekhyun looks at the man squatting down on the ground, pitifully, clutching at his face and rubbing his eyes. Guilt washes over Baekhyun’s face before he mumbles an apology and awkwardly pats Kris’ head. “I’m really sorry; I thought you were a .”

 

“You shouldn’t have sprayed the pepper spray right into my eyes,” Kris turns to glance at him, his eyes red from tears. “You need to pay for this. How does brunch sound?”

 

Why would he need to pay for this? Earlier that morning, Baekhyun was just walking back to his car from the day care centre after sending off his twins – and this tall bastard just grabbed his arm and called him “pretty”. Of course Baekhyun would have taken the pepper spray in his pocket before spraying it right into Kris Wu’s eyes – of course.

 

“You shouldn’t have pulled me like that,” Baekhyun glares at him. “Who do you think you are?”

 

The taller of the two men grins. “I’m Wu Yifan, gorgeous.”

 

“You’re an idiot who can’t even wink properly,” He kicks Kris on his shin, earning a startled groan from the other. “You tripped on your own feet, once, too.”

 

The people walking along the street gaze at them in curiousness, some schoolgirls are even just checking Kris out – Baekhyun scowls in disapproval, rolling his eyes. He really needs to get to work by 11 o’clock. Kris isn’t really helping.

 

“That was a one-time thing,” Kris points an accusing finger at him; sometimes he just reminds him of the children at Junhyun and Jaehyun’s day care centre. “Don’t ever mention about that incident ever again!”

 

This time, Baekhyun does not attack the taller man’s eyes with pepper spray, but he throws the bottle of half filled pepper spray, hitting square on Kris’ wide forehead and he runs into his car before Kris could even do anything.

 

 

 

 

 

His secretary, Jongin clears his throat when Baekhyun enters the building. He points at the closed door of his office, before whispering into his ears, telling him that someone was waiting for him. “I tried to stop him from entering,” He explains, “But he just insisted on coming in.”

 

“That’s okay, Jongin-ah,” Baekhyun grins. “I’ll talk to him just for a few minutes.”

 

When he enters his office, he sees Chanyeol sitting on the leather couch by the left side of the room. Baekhyun just hopes he does not see the framed picture of Junhyun and Jaehyun on his desk. His ex-boyfriend awkwardly s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter