Chapter 8

Erstwhile
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

May 2011

 

It was 5 a.m. when Chanyeol had been feeling anxious.

 

He remembered—memorized the way Baekhyun’s fingers trail against his bare chest, as the boy looked back at him as if he was the only one that mattered in the whole wide world. Chanyeol loved the constant attention he received from Baekhyun. The way Baekhyun submitted his all to him made him feel like he was actually relevant. And the way Baekhyun anticipated his kisses made him feel like he dominated.

 

“Do you love me?” Was what Baekhyun had asked, feeling doubtful and insecure.

 

Chanyeol, out of habit, smiled. “More than you’ll ever know.”

 

 

 

Chanyeol wakes up to an empty bed.

 

Patting the cold space beside him, he figures that his fiancée went for her morning jog before she prepares breakfast for two. At this time, he begins to think about his past—the one that had affected his future. Every morning, he tries to convince himself that letting Baekhyun go was the best decision—because if he did not, he wouldn’t have been engaged to the most beautiful woman in the world, would he?

 

But if he did not, he would’ve been engaged—and possibly married—to the most beautiful man in the world. Then again, he left Baekhyun because he wanted to be accepted and to be normal. Having a future with Baekhyun meant that he would not be accepted by the community around him—and he didn’t want that. He wanted Baekhyun, but he also wanted popularity and acceptance.

 

Letting Baekhyun go was the right choice.

 

“Honey,” Chaeyoung rubs her hand on his arm soothingly. “Are you busy today? Mr Byun said that we’re going to check out the venues for our wedding. I really want you to come with us.”

 

“Of course…” He quietly sips on his morning coffee. “Of course, baby.”

 

 

 If discussing about the date of the wedding is painful, then going to multiple destinations of halls for your ex’s possible wedding hurts even more.

 

As he watches Chanyeol and his fiancée laughing together, planning their wedding and whereabouts, Baekhyun tries to keep a professional posture as he follows behind. But at time to time, Chanyeol tends to glance at him and he doesn’t know why. Baekhyun is beyond confused. “I will let you two check this place out,”

 

And he grins, walking towards the stairs and deciding to give the couple some privacy.

 

The hall was majestic—it was exquisite, and Baekhyun absolutely loves the chandeliers hanging above the golden painted walls. He leans himself towards the balcony as he watches the couple on the ground floor, laughing and giggling to themselves.

 

 

“Ooh, might wanna be careful there!”

 

The cheerful voice behind Baekhyun startles him, as he gasps, turns around and makes a lunge at the man close to him. Shutting his eyes close and waiting for the fatal fall to come, Baekhyun prays for his soul—but nothing welcomes him except for warmth of arms.  He quickly backs away, straightening his suit and his eyes widen at the sight of the familiar face. Realizing whom it was, Baekhyun gasps once more and points an accusing finger at the said familiar face. “You!”

 

He certainly did not expect to see him again—not after the first time they bumped into each other. But apparently, there he is, taking one step closer to the frightened man before him. “Hey hey.”

 

“Kris Wu,” Baekhyun grits his teeth in annoyance and stomps one foot to the ground. “What are you doing here?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter