Chapter 17

Erstwhile
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Are you sure you can take care of them?”

 

Baekhyun gazes worriedly at his twins, hesitating to leave. His two boys whimper against his tight embrace, hiding their faces in his suit for warmth. He had to send them to day care an hour earlier – working schedule being overly packed; Baekhyun couldn’t manage to be late for work.

 

“Don’t worry,” Lu Han rolls his eyes before bursting into another horrible coughing fit. “I’m just a little sick. They’ll be fine.”

 

“But…” Baekhyun bites his bottom lip. “I’m worried. Please take care of them. Especially Jaehyun. He has a very weak immune system, Lu Han.”

 

Lu Han laughs exaggeratedly, as if mocking him. “You’re acting like I have cancer.”

 

“Please—just…” Baekhyun grimaces when Lu Han starts to wheeze from his excessive coughing. “Cover your mouth with a metal facemask or something.”

 

The day care teacher snorts. “Go away. You wouldn’t wanna be late for your job, wedding planner.”

 

With last kisses planted on his sons’ heads, Baekhyun heads to work with a heavy heart.

 

 

 

 

Chaeyoung fumbles with her make up bag; taking out her favourite burgundy shaded lipstick and puckers her lips in front of the small mirror. She had everything planned for today: truthfully, this is the day she has been looking forward to, ever since she was a little girl – trying out pretty, pure wedding dresses.

 

She squealed in excitement after her wedding planner stated that he found the perfect designers that suit her taste in clothing—and she knows that her wedding planner could be trusted.

 

She sings along to the catchy song on the radio, applying her lipstick carefully on her lips. Her fiancé has been quiet the entire day, even yesterday after he got back from work. She settled on being the non-overly-attached fiancée and shrugs it off, assuring herself that her fiancé has been stressed over work.

 

She glances to her left, noticing Chanyeol’s clenched fists as he held onto the steering wheel. Placing a delicate hand on his lap, Chaeyoung gives him a smile—to which he does not even respond. Her smile falters, pulling her hand back and sings the song even louder, trying to ignore the obvious tension between the both of them.

 

“Why don’t you cheer up a bit, darling,” She mutters as she plays with her trimmed fingernails. “We’re spending time with each other, preparing for our wedding. You should at least look like you’re anticipating it.”

 

“I am.” He deadpans, stopping at a red light and takes a proper look at his fiancé. “Your lipstick’s smudged.”

 

She blinks at his sudden comment, before relaxing in her seat and takes his retort as a playful joke. “Kiss the stain away, then.”

 

Her fiancé does not reply, and Chaeyoung chooses to stay silent.

 

The second they arrived to the fancy boutique, Chaeyoung gets out of the car, practically skipping towards their wedding planner who was waiting for them inside. She waves frantically at the man, grinning when he starts to laugh in amusement. She cringes at the sound of her own high heels clacking on the marbled floors as she approaches her wedding planner, pulling him into a hug.

 

“Wow,” The wedding planner chuckles, “You must be really excited today.”

 

“Of course! I’m going to be trying on dresses, after all.” Chaeyoung giggles, walking into the boutique with her fiancé and wedding planner in tow. When all the staffs crowd her with breath-taking dresses, Chaeyoung gasps, overwhelmed with feelings.

 

“I feel like a princess,” She sighs in bliss, “Honey, come and look at these tuxedos. They would look really good on you.”

 

“Yeah, sure,” Chanyeol flashes her a distracted smile, avoiding particular glances. Chaeyoung starts to frown, but she reminds herself not to let anyone get in her way of a having perfect morning.

 

“Mr Byun!” Chaeyoung screams in delight when she finds a beautiful, snowy white dress that has stolen her attention. “This is perfect! Can I try it on?”

 

Her wedding planner laughs softly. “Of course you can. These dresses are all reserved for you after all.”

 

“Are there any tuxedos or suits reserved for my fiancé?” She questions, grabbing Chanyeol’s arm and scowling when he flinches the moment she touches him. “I’m not the only one getting married you know, Chanyeol is a part of this big wedding too.”

 

“Yes, we do,” Byun Baekhyun nods, pointing over to the small aisle. “The men’s section is over there. We’ve prepared some suits and tuxedos from the best designers.”

 

“I…” Chaeyoung’s fiancée scratches the back of his neck, clearly uncomfortable. “I really don’t think that’s necessary, I-I’ll just wear any suits that’s suitable. Plus I have to head to work pretty soon.”

 

Chaeyoung groans, “Chanyeol, could you not be problematic just for one second? Go and check out those tuxedos. Bring Mr Byun with you. He knows high fashion, unlike you.”

 

Caught in the midst of her own rambling while she observes more wedding dresses, Chaeyoung misses the way Chanyeol pulls Baekhyun by his hand, rushing to the men’s section.

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo wakes up with an ache pulsing in his head and a burn settling on his throat. He doesn’t quite remember what happened, but as he registers his whereabouts, he sees Sehun sitting at the edge of the bed, sleeping as they hold hands. He doesn’t know why he’s in the hospital and why he’s wearing a patient’s robe—but the only thing he could be concerned about is his baby.

 

“Sehun…” He croaks out, “Sehun, wake up.”

 

His boyfriend jolts awake, looking crazy and frantic when he realizes that Kyungsoo is awake. “Oh, Kyungsoo… You’re awake. I’ve been worried sick, baby.”

 

“Why am I here?” Kyungsoo winces in pain. His throat felt like it was bleeding. “I-I need water…”

 

Sehun is quick to hand him a glass of water, insisting to help him sip on his drink. He presses a long kiss on Kyungsoo’s lips, still holding onto his hand. “I’m sorry. I don’t know how and where to start, but you have to know that I’m sorry and I love you. I love you so much, Kyungso

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter