Chapter 20

Nightmare Swapping.
Please log in to read the full chapter

You fell to the ground with a heavy thump and gasped for breath. As you to your back you saw the deep blue light glimmer away to nothing. The portal. You had always been brought up knowing not to use the portal under any circumstances unless outright necessary, you were not allowed to use it to transport yourself to school, you were not allowed to use it to take you to the shops, and it was solely for emergency use. The portal can be a dangerous thing, if you do not have enough focus on where you want to be, you could end up trapped in limbo for years, never finding a way out, well that was what your uncle used to say. It was made for emergency use only. And that was why you used it.

 

Hauling yourself up onto your feet, you hissed at the pain that rattled your body, which was another thing, in the past fellow children of the angels have been known to be injured because of the sheer amount of power the portal holds. You suddenly felt guilt-ridden. You knew each of the boys inside out. Yet they barely knew you at all.

 

A warm hand on your shoulder immediately caused you to yelp “Shush!” The hand relocated to your mouth “Gee, you sure pick your moments” You now knew who it was. Theo. “I’m gonna take my hand away now, please don’t scream” You nodded and breathed out as he moved his hand away “Right, come on…it’s not safe…” He pulled you along with him and dived into a old pub “Why are you here _____?” “Don’t you want me here?” He shook his head “That wasn’t what I meant, you’ve been gone for years and you suddenly turn up out of nowhere, I’m just curious as to why you’ve come back now, you should be with your pack” At this you sighed “Maybe they are the reason I’ve come here” “What?” “You heard me, I said maybe the fact that I came back here has something to do with them” “Like what?” He pulled himself a pint from behind the bar and slapped some money on the counter for the pub owner before perching himself up on a stool “Did Alec tell you about my nightmares?” “He said you get a lot of nightmares, but he wouldn’t elaborate on any details” “When Mum and Luke moved me around as a child, they had a warlock put a spell on me” He almost spat out his beer “A spell?” “Hmm, it was a mind block, they had put into my head as a child, I suppose at the time as I was so young they didn’t want me knowing much about the Nephilim and what they...we do….well basically, when my mind tries to find it’s angel side it jolts me it back by a nightmare…but the thing is, the nightmares involve my pack killing me, every damn time, one of them kills me….I mean it wakes me up pretty fast, but it leaves me scared to go anywhere near them and I don’t like it” He sighed heavily “Let’s get you to the Institute”

 

**********

 

The Institute of Alexuris, a tall grey building with many towers and spires, with it’s dark stone walls and stained glassed windows, was built at the top of the town on hallowed ground that has always been heavily warded. Their purpose? It is the home for the Nephilim commonly known throughout the modern societies as Shadowhunters, or children of the angels, the doors to the institute remain locked to those lacking Nephilim blood, the blood can be drunk from the mortal cup, a cup believed to be guarded by the angels, or you get the genes from Nephilim parents, the reverse regarding the doors is the same, the doors will open up to anyone possessing Nephilim blood regardles

Please log in to read the full chapter