First Night

Let's Go Find Love!

We walk along the streets of Korea.  Although I don’t know where exactly we are, I somehow, feel strangely safe walking along Kim Hyun Joong.

“It’s weird that we didn’t just drive to the place,” I tell him.

“I do this occasionally.  Partly because it is easier to go in undetected, but mostly because I love to walk around this area,” he explains.

I look around.  Beautiful.  ‘All the lights make the scenery almost romantic.’  My mind suddenly stops wandering.  “What am I thinking?” I ask myself.

“What?” he asks.

“Nothing, I was just thinking of how beautiful this area is,” I quickly respond.

He looks at me and gives me a smile.  “Yeh,” he says.  He then looks up. “We are here.”

I read the name of the place in front of us.  “Is this a karaoke place?” I ask.

“Yeh, this is my favorite place because the alcohol is good,” explains embarrassed.

We walk in.  I try not to show that I am nervous but I can tell that I am failing.

“It’s okay.  This place is very private so you don’t have to worry too much.  I’ve asked my friends to come so we won’t be alone,” he tries to assure me.

The host of the karaoke place greets us and ushers us into a room.

“Your friends….are they the same friends from the practice? Toa Ha Ha and Tim Lee Lo was it?”

“Yeh, they will be coming soon,” he then takes a moment to think before his eyes suddenly widen, “I should have invited some females so that you can be more comfortable. Mian-hae, Mor Ri.”

“Gwenchana, Hyun Joong-sshi.  I’ve grown quite comfortable with Ha Ha oppa and Lee Lo oppa,” I try to reassure him.

He becomes quite.  We sit there waiting awkwardly.

“Hyung!” A voice shouts from outside the room.  Suddenly, Toa Ha Ha and Tim Lee Lo enter the room.

“The traffic was terrible,” Lee Lo says as he sits down and pours himself a drink.

Ha Ha’s eyes widen. “Hyung, you really did invite that girl,” he says as he sits next to me happily, “I’m so glad!” He gets even closer.

“Umm, gamsahabnida Ha Ha oppa,” I weakly say as I desperately try to distance myself from him.

Kim Hyun Joong suddenly grabs my arm and pulls me closer to him.  I begin to blush. ‘What is going on?’ I ask myself.  I am only super close to him for a second, however, before he moves to the spot I sat previously.

“Hyung, you don’t have to sit between us,” Toa Ha Ha whines, “I’m not going to do anything.”

“Just in case,” he says while giving off a small laugh.

I do my best to recollect myself.  ‘What was I thinking?’ I ask myself.  I then suddenly feel someone watching me.  I look up to see Tim Lee Lo looking at me while holding his glass of alcohol.  It was as if he was examining me.

“We should begin singing,” he finally speaks.

“Yeah! Come on Mor Ri-ah! I want to sing with you,” Toa Ha Ha exclaims as he grabs my arm.

I look at Kim Hyun Joong.  He looks at me warily.  I give him a quick smile before speaking, “okay, which song shall we sing?”

“She seems like a nice girl,” Tim Lee Lo says to Kim Hyun Joong as he moves to sit closer to him.

“Yeh,” Kim Hyun Joong replies.

“She isn’t your usual type and you don’t normally invite girls to our gatherings unless they are something special.  Do you, by any chance, like this girl?” Tim Lee Lo asks.

“Ani-yo, hyung.  It’s way too soon to say that I like her.  I don’t know why but for some reason she does interest me,” he replies truthfully. 

“Well, I never thought of you as someone who would hide these kind of feelings so I’m just going to wait for you to propose,” Tim Lee Lo jokes.

Kim Hyun Joong smiles, “hyung.” He laughs.

The night goes on very comfortably.  We drink. We laugh.  As for the karaoke, Ha Ha and I have become the night’s performers.  Mostly Ha Ha.  He is a fun loving guy who loves the spot light, and as the night progresses I can’t help but to feel like he is like my brother. 

“Hyung, why don’t you sing with Mor Ri?” Ha Ha suggests.

I look at him.  ‘I haven’t been able to have time with him… ’ I think to myself, ‘truthfully, it’s making me kind of sad.’ 

It takes me a moment to realize what I was thinking. ‘What am I thinking?!’ I freak out.

“Okay,” he gets up. “Shall we sing---------

I quickly snap back into reality. “Okay…” I reply.

We start singing.

….

The song ends.

“Daebak! You guys sound beautiful together,” Toa Ha Ha says in awe.

I immediately sit down.  Blushing like crazy.

“Can I sing one more song alone?” Kim Hyun Joong asks as he flips through the pages filled with song selections.

“Solo? Are you going to sing to me?” Toa Ha Ha teases.

“Ani!” Kim Hyun Joong replies as he laughs.

The song begins to play.  He begins to sing ---

However, as he is singing, I noticed something.  At first I wasn’t sure if it was my imagination, but I kept feeling that he was singing to me.  His posture, his movements, and his voice as he sang seemed to be directed towards me.  I didn’t know what to think.  The more he sang.  The more I felt like it was just him and I.  It felt as if there was no one else in the room.  I become absorbed within the world he has created.

“Hyung! You totally put your all in that song!” Toa Ha Ha exclaims.  I am quickly warp back into reality after hearing his voice.  “I’m touched,” Toa Ha Ha teases.

Kim Hyun Joong jokingly shoves Toa Ha Ha.  “It was not meant for you,” he says.  He sits next to me.  “Did you like it?” he asks me.

I take a moment to respond.  “Yeh,” I reply unable to look at him in the eyes.

The night goes on with Toa Ha Ha taking control of the mic again.  We have a great time. Kim Hyun Joong keeps himself by my side.  I not once disliked it, although at times, I did notice him looking at me.  It would lead me to feel an emotion I have never felt before.  Discomfort? No, it wasn’t that.  This feeling was different.  I liked it.