Lunch

Alone

Normally Junmyeon would stay at work and eat some crappy wilting, overcooked or dry meal that could only just pass a basic nutrition evaluation due to the three main food groups being present, even though only the rice looked normal, with YiFan. YiFan would sit across from him and complain about the amount of time he would work in a day, and Junmyeon would nod and complain too – even though Junmyeon had had school days longer than the hours they worked for. If it wasn’t YiFan in the cafeteria downstairs, the new employee Kyungsoo – who had started out as an intern, and not even six months into his internship was offered a full time position - would bring him home made lunches that tasted even more amazing than anything even his own mother had made him. Kyungsoo would often talk about this crush he had and would ask Junmyeon for advice, although none of it was very good Kyungsoo seemed to think it was worth something.

Today, however, was different to normal. YiFan and Kyungsoo had both gotten together and decided that – since Junmyeon would no longer be alone as he now had his cat – they would go out for lunch at a nearby café. When Junmyeon protested, Kyungsoo said that his crush worked there occasionally so it was a win-win situation. YiFan said that he wanted to see what it was like, because – at this point he coughed and averted his eyes – he has an interest in this sort of thing. Of course, Junmyeon had no clue what ‘this sort of thing’ was, but guess that it was simply café culture.

So, they drove the short distance in Kyungsoo’s small car where YiFan was cramped in the backseat – Kyungsoo claiming that he didn’t want to sit next to someone that looked near twice his height. Climbing out of the car proved difficult for YiFan, as Kyungsoo’s car only had two doors, and so he had to fold his body and attempt to climb over the front seat without hitting his head. Which he ended up doing before falling out of the car. Junmyeon tried not to laugh, but when Kyungsoo did he couldn’t help it.

“This is it.” Kyungsoo says pushing Junmyeon through the entrance and not allowing him enough time to read anything on the door or windows. Still no clue where they were other than the fact that they were five minutes away from work and a few blocks from his house.

Looking around the room, Junmyeon doesn’t notice much out of the ordinary, except there is no female staff, there were several female patrons all blushing and staring into their cups when any waiters came close. Junmyeon had no clue why they had come to a place that seemed to come from one of YiFan’s comic books that he often read instead of working.

“Welcome back Kyungsoo!” A male voice calls from across the café and Junmyeon looks over to see a tall tan boy walking towards them with a smile brighter than the sun itself. If Junmyeon had even bothered to look at Kyungsoo he would have seen the blush. If Junmyeon had just opened his eyes properly he would have noticed the cat ears atop the wait staffs heads.

This must be Kyungsoo’s crush… Is the only thought that seems to go through Junmyeon’s head that holds any importance. The other things that occupy his mind is the scrutiny he his putting the café under in order to find out why everyone looks like their out of a manga or manhwa…

“You bought friends this time?” the male says when he gets closer, gesturing to YiFan that looked almost as flustered as Kyungsoo and Junmyeon who was still trying to figure out what type of café they were in, because it honestly looked like that Host Club thing that YiFan had tried to get him to read…

“Yes, this YiFan and Junmyeon.” Kyungsoo gestures to the appropriate people smiling shyly.

“Nice to meet you both.” He says, smiling that blinding smile again, “I’m Jongin, I will be your waiter today please follow me to your seats.”

The group follow him, Junmyeon attempting to take in more detail as he does. It isn’t until they are seated, with Jongin walking away with their drink order, that he notices what it is about this café that has everyone blushing.

“They’re cats.” He mutters to himself, but it doesn’t go unnoticed by the others. And so he gets teased about his level of uptake by YiFan while Kyungsoo simply laughs at his friends idiocy.

 

In Minseok’s office out the back Yixing is back to his human form – and dressed thank goodness. H has finally finished explaining the extent of his cat features and qualities. Telling both Minseok and Baekhyun that he lives with a guy called Junmyeon because he was stuck in the animal shelter for a few days and the guy was the only person who would buy him. He even explains – to the best he can, mainly because half the time he doesn’t even really know himself – why his wallet always shows up in weird places.

Minseok sits silently for a while, contemplating what he has been told. Again. In the back of his mind he is curious as to how many more times Yixing is going to shock him like this. Not that he would mind in the end, because Yixing would always give him answers when he asked for them.

Baekhyun, on the other hand, is not silent. It is as if he is incapable of it, muttering “oh my god” and occasionally shouting “what the actual hell” to himself in between questioning Yixing.

“Do you go into heat?”

“Do you have to, like, rub your face up against everything?”

“Why do cats even do that? Is it out of affection or what?”

“Do you claw people when you’re annoyed?”

“Can you talk to other cats? Or do cats not talk?”

“Have you ever had in cat form?”

At this point Minseok feels the need to intervene because Baekhyun has no self-restraint or filter what so ever and poor Yixing looks as though he is struggling to even comprehend the fast pace of questions the younger Korean boy is asking him.

“You don’t have to answer any of Baekhyun’s questions Yixing… actually… Don’t. Just… Don’t even bother with him.” Minseok quietly mutters to Yixing in Mandarin, before turning to Baekhyun and telling him to get back to work before he loses a day’s pay just for the questions that are coming out of his mouth.  

Baekhyun does leave, and Minseok sighs. Feeling both relieved and extremely exhausted from just the mornings load of work. He starts considering bringing Luhan in so he can go home to sleep.

“Is there anything you wanted to know Minnie?” Yixing asks, smiling across at his boss.

Minseok simply shrugs, “I don’t know what there is I don’t know… You did explain a bit… I guess… I am rather curious about this, are you really okay with being called Lay?”

Now it is Yixing’s turn to shrug, he laughs too. “I have no problems with it. Compared to other cats I am rather laid back and don’t do as much I guess… So it makes sense to be named Lay…”

“How can you be more laid back than normal cats?”

“When I am in cat form I just want to sleep… Most cats sleep for about fourteen or sixteen hours a day, moving just enough to keep their bodies in check… But when I… Change? I like to sleep for about nineteen or twenty hours, making up for the time that I am working human I guess… My cat gets very exhausted…”

A breathless laugh escapes Minseok. Of course the cat would want to sleep more than the human… Cats aren’t used to such workloads… “That makes sense.”

Minseok is about to ask another question regarding the difference between ‘Lay’ and ‘Yixing’ – the respective names he has decided that he will use for Yixing’s different forms – when Baekhyun burst through the office door again.

“Yixing! One of Jongin’s loyal followers has brought friends and one of them said their name was Junmyeon! You’ve got to tell us if that’s him or not because, wow, he’s pretty good looking!”

Minseok and Yixing stand up from their chairs and move out into the main part of the café, where they see Jongin at a table of three taking orders. Out of the three of them Yixing can only see two, one really tall -faced male and a shorter, regular customer that Yixing has seen at least four times before. When Jongin moves away from the table, winking at his regular follower, Yixing can finally see the face of the third patron.

At first Yixing is too busy studying the face of the tallest male at the table to even notice that Jongin has moved – how can someone look so handsome when they look so angry? But when Minseok and Baekhyun both nudge his sides, he finally looks over at the third. Sure enough, that is his Junmyeon. With his round baby face and wide smile, sitting wearing the same suit that Yixing watched him put on in that morning.

He nods slowly, before turning to Minseok, “Yeah. That is my owner…”

Minseok just stares, unsure how to react to meeting the male that ‘owns’ his best employee. Seeing it is different to being told, sure Minseok believed Yixing when he spoke those words, but when Yixing turns around and says it so casually after pointing him out… that’s something different.

Baekhyun just jumps up and down clapping his hands. “You should totally hook us up!”

For what seems the umpteenth time that morning, Minseok sighs.

 

A/N:: I at keeping up with my updating... I apologise for that. BUUUUT I work on that! I shall aim for once every two weeks as to give me enough time to write, so look forward to more regular updates rather than once in a month~! <3 Thank you to new subscribers! Feel free to comment~! <3