New Home

Alone

Junmyeon sets down the cat carrier in the centre of his apartment and opened the cage door. He then sat down not too far away from it, leaning down in order to see the cat inside.

“Hey there,” he whispers, his voice husky from lack of use in the car ride home, he wasn’t exactly sure how to talk to a cat. He clears his throat then tries again. “Hey Lay, that’s your new name in case you didn’t know…”

Lay stares back at him, eyes barely open, not too interested and a little concerned for his safety. Junmyeon taps the floor in front of him, “Why don’t you come out and explore?”

Yawning Lay stands, and reaching forward stretches out his back, before arching up to stretch out each of his legs individually before slowly walking out of the carrier and into Junmyeon’s living room. The caramel cat looks up at its new owner and Junmyeon smiles.

“Hi Lay!” Junmyeon sings happily when the cat looks around the house, “I’m Junmyeon! Your new owner. This is your house now, so you can do whatever you want and can go where ever you want as long as you come back every evening for dinner. Feel free to explore while I get us both some dinner okay?”

The cats tail flicked side to side and Junmyeon took that as a sign of acknowledgement before leaving for the kitchen to heat up a microwave meal for himself and sort out Lay’s cat food.

Yixing decides that walking around exploring, would help him think about what to do next. Even though kept in the cat carrier the entire car ride home he had paid attention to the streets signs he could see from the holes in the sides of the carrier and had a decent idea of where he was in Seoul. Which was not too far from his work place if he had his location correct. Although, he was never really that good with direction in the first place, he knew where he worked and that was about it. His boss often put it down to the fact that cats often have limited object permeance, Yixing didn’t argue.

Humming a soundless tune to himself he slinks under the couch and curls up underneath. He could either live here or run away and sleep on the streets again, or the work couch. However, that, he decides, would depend on the type of food this Junmyeon served up.

The microwave pings and after opening the door, Junmyeon opens up a can of tuna that he had never gotten around to eating himself. Tipping it up onto a plate, however the contents has stuck, so he shakes the small can, watching as it all falls to the plate with a splat. Placing the can in the bin he takes both his and Lay’s meal to the lounge. Placing his on the coffee table he and Lay’s on the floor.

“There you go Lay, it’s not exactly fresh tuna fish, but it’s the best I have at the moment. Lemon and pepper I think…” the cat slowly makes its way out from under the couch, nose twitching and tail swaying. “Tomorrow I will get you some real fish to eat if that’s what you want.”

Junmyeon sadly chuckles to at himself, as Lay starts eating. “How can you tell me what you want anyway? Guess I will get you some canned stuff too and we can see what you prefer. Even if you don’t eat the fresh tuna fish I am pretty sure I could get someone to help me make sushi…”

Sighing Junmyeon turns on the television and sits back with his plate of food. “We will sort it out later huh? I will show you where I put the litter box too…”

 

Over Saturday and Sunday both Junmyeon and Lay got to know each other better, Lay would occasionally follow Junmyeon around the apartment, learning new areas and listening carefully to what his owner would say to him. Junmyeon would often comment that he was going crazy while talking to Lay, since – although the male didn’t know it was true – it seemed Lay could actually understand him.

Lay found out many things about Junmyeon, as the male thought it was necessary to vent to his new pet. He found that Junmyeon liked to shower with the door open when he was home alone – Lay couldn’t help himself when he sauntered passed the bathroom and caught more than a glimpse of his owner.

“You’re one erted cat.” Junmyeon had sighed.

He also found that there was nothing but microwaveable meals in Junmyeon’s fridge as he stated that he couldn’t be bothered cooking for longer than ten minutes. There was also the fact that Junmyeon liked to watch the latest dramas hugging a pillow to his chest once he had finished eating his meals.

“I don’t watch much else other than the news and these dramas because I work a lot and get really tired…” Junmyeon sighed during an advert, “When the soccer is on though I host all my friends here and we party and cheer. This one time we all went to the city centre to watch it… It was amazing.”

Lay had meowed at this. Remembering the time that he was there watching along with the majority of Seoul, even though he was Chinese he had still cheered  as loud as a true Korean had that day, the atmosphere had called for it.

The food, he soon discovered, was really good. When Junmyeon had offered fresh tuna he had really meant it. Early Saturday morning getting out of bed in order to go to the markets to get the freshest one he could. When he returned he cut it into bite sized chunks.

“You know, this tuna will last at least three weeks if we store it right. It’s also cheaper than cat food… So please like it. I mean, it’s honestly okay if you don’t, I can call my friend to help me make sushi but I would rather not. If you want I can make it a different flavour every week?” He had sighed, rubbing the back of his hand across his forehead. “Once again I am talking normally to you…”

The caramel cat meowed and jumped up onto the counter where the tuna was. He had hoped that he could get his point across if he ate a piece. Junmyeon just sighed again and shooed him away with a ‘not yet’.

Junmyeon had given Lay the choice of sleeping place. Junmyeon had placed him in a basket when he had gotten ready for bed stating that he could sleep there if he liked. Or he could join him in bed, as long as he didn’t take up too much space.

“I have heard some people say that their dogs take up the majority of the bed so it could be the same for cat’s right? I don’t know anyone with a cat so I can’t really ask… Either way feel free to sleep in the basket, or on the couch, or in bed with me, just don’t use my pillow or stop me from sleeping comfortably. I like my space…”

On the Friday, Lay had slept on the couch, but found that he had to move around a lot in order to get comfortable. So on Saturday he slept in the basket, which turned out to be the perfect size for him, maybe too big even, however… The pillow was so soft that he could feel the cane weaves underneath it. Finally on Sunday he slept on Junmyeon’s bed, starting at his feet and sometime in the night moving to his spare pillow, finding it the best place in the house.

Monday morning went by fast, with Junmyeon showering and dressing in a woollen suit,  shade of blue that complimented him. Lay really wanted to rub up against – he resisted the urge though, he still didn’t know how long he planned to stay. Then the human had placed a small spoonful of tuna on a plate and ruffled Lay’s head.

“I will be back around five, feel free to sleep where ever you like. You know where your toys are and the litter tray.” He toes his brown leather shoes on and opens the door, “See you later Lay!”

After eating the scrap of tuna that Junmyeon had provided him, the cat was sure his owner wasn’t coming back and finally – after what seemed like forever – shifted into his human form.

The process didn’t look painful, if anything it looks like something out of a movie. Lay’s features grew more human, his limbs growing longer. Everything about him seemed to stretch and enlarge. The more prominent cat features – his ears and tail – would also grow. No larger than that of what could be purchased from a shop.

If asked about it Yixing would describe ‘shifting’ as no more painful than growing pains, except all over your body. Skin would stretch, painlessly, and the fur covering his body would turn to hair. On his limbs, it would grow lighter in colour, hardly noticeable against Yixing’s slightly tanned skin.

Standing in the middle of Junmyeon’s kitchen. It was something he had always hated about shifting, the lack of clothes, the imminent exposure. The other thing he hated was how cramped and tight his muscles and bones felt after shifting from cat to human. The opposite wasn’t nearly as bad, instead it felt slightly relaxing.

“I need a shower.” He muttered, stretching his back, arms above his head and walking straight to the bathroom, closing the door behind him, for good measure.

 

A/N:: Welcome new subscribers! Thank you for reading! It means a lot. 

Anyway, let me know what you think so far! 

Love you~<3