Reality

Alone

Yixing had always been very good at controlling his shifts. From a young age he was able to shift between human and cat at will. There was, however, one thing that had always caused problems for him. That came in the form of certain surprises, certain levels of shock that make his heartbeat rise and his head pound and then he switches. It was because of this that Yixing had originally ended up sleeping on a pile of his clothes in alley ways.

It was because of this that Yixing was currently staring up at Junmyeon as a cat in his very own work place.

Instantly Yixing wanted to shift back. The way Junmyeon’s face contorted into a mixture of worry, shock and madness… It made Yixing want to change back and apologise for everything, but at the same time, if he did… Junmyeon might think he was actually crazy. If he stayed a cat – like his parents had often told him to – he might be able to convince Junmyeon that this was some kind of magic trick. That’s what he thought he could do at least.

“No… No…” Junmyeon kneels down to his level to get a closer look, Yixing can’t help but purr at their closeness; it had become a habit. “You look exactly like my cat, but you can’t be…”

It’s at that moment that Minseok finally comes behind Junmyeon, probably having heard his earlier exclamation.

“What’s going on?” the café owner asks, staring at Junmyeon who is still kneeling in front of the bathroom door staring at Yixing. Minseok knows that if he says the wrong thing then the entire story is blown. The worst case for all of them would be that Yixing would be experimented on and no one would ever see him again.

“He looks just like Lay… My cat at home.” Junmyeon mutters, “Same markings… same colour. Same purr… And the same meow… so much like Lay…”

“Junmyeon…” Minseok calls, before asking again, “What’s happened?”

“This cat… Used to be Yixing…” Junmyeon said with a stressed laugh, “Though it’s impossible right?”

Minseok doesn’t respond, struggling to agree with the other. Junmyeon knew, everything was over.

Turning away from the cat for the first time Junmyeon looks up at Minseok, tears in his eyes. “Right?”

This was never what Yixing wanted. He planned to tell Junmyeon eventually, not by surprise. He wanted to at least confess first. He wanted Lay to run away first, before he told the truth. He wanted to be in a secure relationship with Junmyeon before he told him that the reason he constantly wore hats was because his ears were real. That real reason behind why he couldn’t have with him was the fact that he had a real tail that moved and he didn’t want to scare him.

“He can’t be Yixing… And he can’t be Lay…”

He definitely didn’t want Junmyeon to find out about all of this because Yixing had been shocked to find Kyungsoo and Jongin doing something they shouldn’t have been in the café bathroom. He didn’t want Junmyeon to cry because he saw Yixing turn into a cat that looked exactly like the one he had at home.

He didn’t want it to be this way.

And so he shifted, right before Minseok, right before Junmyeon.

Minseok looks away, tears welling in his eyes. He knows exactly where this is going and knows that it won’t be pretty, but he stays. He stays for Yixing. He stays because he knows that if he doesn’t Junmyeon will leave. Junmyeon will admit himself somewhere… He needs to stay for Yixing.

A shaky breath is let out by Junmyeon as Yixing changes back to his human self. He doesn’t look away, but his tears have finally started to fall.

“I’m sorry Junmyeon.” Are the first words that leave Yixing’s mouth. He doesn’t know what else he should say.  They seem like the better option. They seem like the way to go. But it doesn’t help Junmyeon, who starts slowly shaking his head.

“You…” He starts, his teeth chatter and his entire body starts to shake.

“I’m so sorry Junmyeon…” Yixing says again, attempting to reach out to the other, but Junmyeon pulls away like he has been burnt.

Yixing closes his eyes, trying to remember that people act this way when they find out new things. Attempts to remember that this is how normal people should react to finding out that cat people exist. He breathes in and out slowly, recalling that Junmyeon is kind, Junmyeon is loving that Junmyeon will understand if he is given time.

Minseok’s tears flow more freely. He can feel the pain radiating off both of them.

“Tell me.” Junmyeon whispers after a moment. His voice his harsh, his eyes directed at the floor in front of him. “Are you the one… who has been in my apartment?”

Feeling as though his gut has been punched, Yixing breathes out a “Yes.”

“Then… You are… Lay?” Junmyeon whispers, receiving a simple nod in return.

The betrayal that drips from Junmyeon’s aura cut like a knife. It scars every inch of Yixing’s skin, and the feeling settles in his stomach as it churns away ready to let its contents known to the world any second now.

“I… I’m sorry…” Yixing whispers, his voice barely making it past his ever tightening throat.

Junmyeon’s tears run faster down his cheeks. “Don’t.” He seethes. “Just don’t.”

Yixing nods, watching as Junmyeon finally stands. Minseok moves aside, wiping his tears on the back of his hand, letting Junmyeon go. There is nothing more that he can do. There is nothing that anyone can do. Yixing knows that too. He knows that Junmyeon needs time away from Yixing, separate from Lay. He needs to clear his head. He needs to reassess everything that has happened.

They both need to let go… And so Yixing does first. He watches as Junmyeon stalks down the hall toward the café. He hears as he mutters something to YiFan who is now being left behind and he hears as the bells tinkle signalling Junmyeon’s departure.

As soon as the door clicks shut, Yixing shifts. He shifts back into a cat. He curls into a ball and shakes until Minseok picks him up and holds him close in his arms. They both stay like that until Luhan rushes over, rubbing circles into Minseok’s back as he explains he will ask everyone to leave. For family reasons.

Jongin and Kyungsoo soon poke their heads through the bathroom door, having heard the entire exchange. Minseok sighs. And Luhan shakes his head, instructing that right now isn’t a great time for either of them to ask questions, so sends them to the front of house, telling them to ask Baekhyun for anything if it was extremely necessary. Before leading Minseok and Lay further out the back to Minseok’s office, where he instructs them to rest for a while.

Minseok nods, Lay however, is already there.

 

A/N:: I'm sorry.