Happenstance

Alone

“ZiTao, can you see me in my office before you leave?” ZhouMi called from his enclosed office.

“Sure thing,” ZiTao sighs, already packing the last of his belongings away in to their correct draws.

This would be the third time this week that the department’s boss wanted to see him alone.

The first time he was called in, he had been lectured about taking so long to eat during lunch. ZhouMi went on about how being social during the lunch hour often led to late arrival back at the desk and a less productive afternoon. When he had asked when he had ever gone over the hour he was allowed for lunch, ZhouMi had been stumped; he was then lectured about back chatting his elders.

The second time he was told that he should not flirt with other members of staff as it interfered with work ethic or something. ZiTao had again talked back, confused as to who exactly he was flirting with because, he knew that whenever YiFan was around he turned into a shy babbling idiot who came off as a rude .

Standing from his desk he grabs his bag, filled with exactly three things – phone, keys and wallet – and makes his way into ZhouMi’s office.

“Close the door.” ZhouMi says, standing from his chair and moving in front of his desk.

ZiTao does as he is told.

 

“Surprise…?” Junmyeon mutters to Yixing. He had it all planed out, what he was going to say. There was a plan anyway, and saying ‘surprise’ was not part of it. But as soon as he saw Yixing walking down the street in the rain he just lost all words. He was frozen, and felt on the verge of tears because Yixing didn’t look like the Yixing he knew anymore, he was a lesser version.

Yixing closes his eyes, breathing deeply for what seems like minutes, before he opens them again.

“Yixing…?” Junmyeon calls, he wants to move but if he moves even a step he will either end up running full speed at the boy in front of him or fall flat on his face. So he stays put, feeling worse off because of it. Even through the rain he can see the tears that are forming in Yixing’s eyes.

“You came back?” It comes out as a croak, but none the less it is Yixing’s voice and Junmyeon can feel the first tear escape. It’s painful, hearing Yixing, seeing Yixing like this.

“I did.” He smiles softly.

Yixing closes his eyes and tilts his head back. Junmyeon can see his Adam’s apple bobbing in his throat and that is the last straw. Screw falling, screw it. Yixing is crying and he can’t stand it anymore. He has been away for too long and even though the first and last time he hugged Yixing he was a cat it doesn’t matter.

Discarding his umbrella he runs across the road, knees buckling and throat tightening as he runs the short distance to embrace Yixing in his arms.

“I came back.”

 

It wasn’t often that YiFan forgot things. In fact the last time he had was when he was thinking about breaking up with his partner. That was months ago. But for some reason today – probably the fact he was preoccupied by Junmyeon and Yixing – he had arrived home only to find that he had left his wallet at the office. It was a good thing that he only lived ten minutes away by car.

“Maybe I should have bought that bag like Kyungsoo said…” He mutters to himself as he opens the department door.

He walks towards his office, through corridors that are lit from the city outside due to the late hours. Often at this time of night it was only very few workers that remained. Most of them were cleaners, finishing off the final vacuum or dust for the day. Other times it was section bosses who were double checking some numbers or making calls or holding meetings. YiFan’s department closed an hour after most, in order to get those last few calls and deals from China, but still, there weren’t many people left there at this time of night.

Today, however, was different. There were several lights on near YiFan’s office, which wouldn’t have bothered if one wasn’t a desk lamp. Which was on his subordinate ZiTao’s desk.

“For s sake ZiTao.”  He mutters under his breath.

Lately it seemed that ZiTao was getting more and more on his nerves. There was something about the younger Chinese male that just got to him. Sure he was cute and extremely helpful in a lot of ways but the random idiotic babble and harsh sarcastic words that were often only directed towards YiFan got on his nerves. Had he done something to piss ZiTao off so badly that it had caused a random grudge against him? For the life of him, YiFan couldn’t think of a single thing he had done wrong by ZiTao. He was always saving his actually, several times he had made simple mistakes when writing in Hangul but YiFan had fixed those up before their boss ZhouMi could see them.

YiFan sighs, using the light from ZiTao’s desk to search through his own. It doesn’t take long for him to find his wallet – right there in the top draw of his desk where it should be.  

Making sure he has all his things in order before walking over and clicking off ZiTao’s light.

“I will have to mention that tomorrow.” He mutters to himself as he turns to leave, spinning on his heels.

As he is heading out he sees two partial figures standing at the opposite end of ZhouMi’s office through the open blinds. Almost instantly he is caught in the gaze of a set of familiar eyes.

 

Yixing’s eyes sting, his throat was tight and he was sure that if he were to say anything his voice would falter at the first syllable. With Junmyeon’s arms around him – finally – he felt like he could finally relax, finally sleep, finally be calm.

If this were a movie, or a fairy tale, they would be able to stand there in the middle of the road in the rain holding each other until they felt it was time to go home. At which point they would probably sleep as close as they possibly could. However, as reality and Seoul – no matter how far into the back streets you wander – is a busy city, they have to part after only a brief moment with the bright headlights of an oncoming car insisting that they move.

By the time they reach the curb where Junmyeon’s umbrella still sits, Junmyeon is also crying. Probably because Yixing is, or maybe because he is relieved by the entire situation. He had been prepared for a lecture or more questions. He had expected something, anything. But not silence.

Both YiFan and Minseok had prepared him for anything but silent sad smiles.

Yixing wound his arms around Junmyeon, burying his face into the others back. Junmyeon could feel his breath seeping hot through his shirt. Yixing’s lips moved against his spine and he felt a shiver when his tears soaked through.

“Did you say something?” Junmyeon asks softly.

“I said don’t leave me again… Please…” Yixing croaks out voice barely scraping the words past his lips loud enough for Junmyeon to hear him over the rain.

The older turns in Yixing’s arms, pulling him close into his chest and resting his chin on Yixing’s head.

“I promise I am going to stay by your side, Yixing, as long as you will have me.” Another tear falls as he presses his lips to Yixing’s hair. “I promise.”

 

ZiTao’s eyes shine pleading through the blinds, and if it weren’t for the fact that they normally – about eighty percent of the time – displayed a strange mix of boredom and hatred, YiFan might not have given it a second thought.

From what can be seen ZhouMi is attempting to advance on ZiTao – the thought alone makes YiFan’s blood hot. It was like that time he had seen ZiTao lean closer to Junmyeon at lunch a few days ago. At the time he thought that it was because of Junmyeon’s situation with Yixing. But now, with no Junmyeon is sight, it was odd.

YiFan runs his hand through his hair. Again he has to help ZiTao, like it isn’t already a daily occurrence. He makes his way over to ZhouMi’s office and knocks on the door.

There is shuffling inside; obviously ZhouMi attempting to right everything. When the door opens ZiTao is in the same place, almost flush against the wall, his eyes red and pained. His fists are clenched at his sides. ZhouMi on the other hand looks flustered as though YiFan had interrupted something that hadn’t happened yet.

“Yes, YiFan? I thought you had gone home?” ZhouMi’s voice is calm but his words are said through grit teeth and the way he holds the door open – a hand on both the door and the frame – shows that he is not likely to welcome YiFan to join him.

“I had, but I forgot my wallet.” YiFan mutters, eyes flickering to Tao, who still looks as though he is trying to find an escape that doesn’t result in punching his boss in the gut. “And that I was meant to give ZiTao a ride home.”

ZiTao’s eyes lock with YiFan’s in a second, they’re wide and questioning but also grateful.

“Oh. Very well, you can go now ZiTao.” Is all ZhouMi mutters, before he steps back from the door and waves the younger employee out the office.

As soon as he is past ZhouMi, ZiTao grabs YiFan’s wrist and pulls him along in a power walk out of the office.

“Take me home. Now. Please.” Tao whispers harshly, leading them to the car park.

When they reach the lower floor car park, YiFan takes the lead, directing ZiTao to his car and even opening his door for him.

After some very basic directions from ZiTao they take off in silence. YiFan’s blood is pumping in his ears and he feels like he needs to fill the silence but he doesn’t know how to. He wants ZiTao to be grateful, he wants to ask him what happened. He wants to know why the thought of ZhouMi kissing ZiTao makes him want to turn the car around and to break his section boss’ sharp jaw line.

“Thank you,” Tao mutters after a few minutes.

YiFan nods, this would be an excellent time to ask what happened but he can’t bring himself to. He hopes that ZiTao will tell him without the prompting.

ZiTao sighs, staring out the window. “Turn left up ahead and the third building on the right is mine.”

I guess not. YiFan thinks to himself, driving as instructed.

He pulls up in front of a reasonably large building minutes later.

“There you are.” He says, not looking over at the younger – rather looking at the building Tao claims to live in – as he unbuckles his seatbelt.

“YiFan,” ZiTao mutters, hand ready to open the door, “Really, thank you.”

Just as he is about to say that it is fine, that he wants to know what happened he feels the soft press of lips on his cheek. He turns back to face Tao as he pulls away. Both of them have flaming faces.

“So, thanks.” Zitao says, too loud. He opens the door and exits as quickly as he can. Rushing up to the building’s entrance so quickly he trips on his feet and falls forward slightly.

“Well .”

 

A/N:: Not gonna lie. This is later than I thought it would be. And not because I was busy, rather because I was attempting to think of anything BUT a cliche and couldn't. No matter what I did, so I ended up with this. Two couples in one chapter! Two get togethers? 

I have to admit, I started the next chapter before I finished this one... I dunno, I feel like its time to introduce some more characters that I don't want people to hate. So next chapter be prepared for that  (there are only 3 people I haven't really mention much yet so good luck guessing who is next to show up in the short time you have).

Also, this is my last week of holidays and I am already attempting to get into the *final session* mind set. But I plan on being EXTRA organised this session so *fingers crossed* I will update throughout these next few schooling months. 

I would like to thank everyone who has subscribed - I love you - everyone has commented - they are most apprieciated and I will always reply - and those of you who have upvoted - I feel that I don't deserve it but I thank you from the bottom of my heart. 

Anyway my dears, until next time <3