eight

Remember Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Maybe we should do some sort of roommate exchange," Baekhyun proposed at breakfast. "You know, Chanyeol and I will be roommates, and Kris can room with Joonmyun?" 

Chanyeol nodded supportively, but Kris refused adamantly. "Zitao's transferring next semester. If I'm not roommates with the little imp, blood will be shed. And not by me." Baekhyun still had no idea who Zitao was, but before he could ask, the subject changed. "Hey, Yeol, what did I miss in Writing and Production?" 

Chanyeol thought for a moment, and then his eyes widened. "You missed the start of a huge assignment. We're supposed to be in teams, so I guess you can join mine and I'll help you get caught up." 

"Thanks, man," said the blonde man appreciatively. "So how did you two finally decide to come out?" Kris sipped his coffee slowly, letting the scalding liquid warm his insides. 

"'Finally'?" Baekhyun repeated with narrowed eyes. 

Kris shrugged. "Almost two years, you said? So yeah. Finally." 

Chanyeol took the speech. "I came out just yesterday, like I told you. Baekhyun's been out for a while. Joonmyun, actually, was the cause of my closet eviction. Yeah, he kinda figured out we were gay, I mean, that I was gay, and when I realized he'd known, and hadn't really thought anything different of me, that gave me courage, you know?" 

Kris nodded slowly. "Joonmyun. The bastard's got a function." He said it with a scoff and a smirk, like an old man hearing his troublemaker grandson got into medical school. 

Baekhyun peered at the blonde, while Chanyeol asked, "So where did you sleep last night?" With his chopsticks, he picked up an octopus-shaped slice of sausage and held it out to Baekhyun, a hand under it to catch any dripping sauce. The shorter boy munched happily and held his boyfriend's hand. 

"Luhan's. Him and his roommate Sehun were nice enough to give me a non-disgusting surface to sleep on." Kris rolled his shoulders back and added, "But man, couches are uncomfortable." 

The shortest among them squinted into the distance. Something was itching at the back of his head, but he couldn't quite put a finger on it. Not until he met Chanyeol's similar gaze. Sehun. Where had he heard the name before? Surely it mattered, if it was bugging him this much. 

"Sorry, is that Oh Sehun?" Chanyeol asked. 

Kris nodded. "Yeah. Why? You got a problem with the kid? Oi, I knew he was trouble. You can just sense the disrespect oozing out of his angsty junior pores." 

Baekhyun shook his head, still not understanding the connection, until his phone buzzed, alerting him of an incoming message from Kyungsoo and that's it! Oh Sehun was Jongin's ex-boyfriend! 

"Jongin," he whispered to his struggling giant, and Chanyeol's eyes widened. 

"That kid?" he asked in disbelief. 

Kris looked back and forth between the two. "What's this about Jongin and Sehun?" 

Baekhyun started to explain. "Jongin had a boyfriend for the first two years of high school, who's name was Oh Sehun. I think it's the same kid." 

"Oh," Kris said. "Okay, one last question, is anyone here straight?" 

*** 

Joonmyun waited idly in the classroom for Kyungsoo. He wanted to ask him if he'd seen it yet, the memory thing, and what it felt like. When the door opened he got so excited, he jumped up to his feet. He was rather disappointed when it was the orange-haired Chinese boy from yesterday at the door. Yixing, was it? He sat back down, but couldn't keep his curious eyes away. He kept glancing. 

Yixing spoke up first. "So, how well do you know Kyungsoo?" 

Joonmyun scoffed disdainfully. "We're, like, best friends." 

Yixing's eyes twinkled. "So you know all the scoop between Kyungsoo and Jongin?" 

Joonmyun narrowed his eyes. "And you're asking because..?" 

Yixing shrugged. "Just want to make sure he's in good hands, is all." 

Joonmyun crossed his arms over his chest. "Kyungsoo and Jongin are fine," he said. 

In that moment, Kyungsoo walked in, lips swollen and smiling. As soon as he laid eyes on his not-serious ex, he dropped the grin. He took a seat next to Joonmyun, as far away from Yixing as he could get. "Ugh, why is he here again?" he whispered. 

"Have you told Jongin yet?" Joonmyun asked, equally as hushed. 

Kyungsoo subtly shook his head. "I can't bring myself to ruin the moment. And there's always a moment. God, I'm almost tired of it." 

Yixing's ears perked up. "You're almost tired of what?" he asked. 

Kyungsoo shot him a fake grin. "Studying for finals," he answered. 

"Ah, been there." Yixing got up from his seat and started walking closer to the two friends. "I just got done with finals myself, my school had them earlier. I could help you out," he offered as he took a seat next to Joonmyun, who was now the only barrier between the ex-lovers. 

"Do you want me to, umm..." Joonmyun pointed at the seat on the other side of Kyungsoo. Yixing nodded, but Kyungsoo grabbed the boy's wrist, eyes wide. 

"Don't leave me," he mouthed, making sure Yixing wouldn't be able to see. 

Joonmyun leaned back into his seat, much to Yixing's discontent. Kyungsoo prayed that the teacher would come in soon. 

His prayers were partially answered when Baekhyun gave him a reason to walk away with a phone call. Smiling, he made a note to be nicer to him. "Yes, Baekhyun?" he greeted. 

"You said Jongin's ex-boyfriend's name was Sehun, right? Oh Sehun?" Baekhyun asked, getting straight to the point. 

"Yeah," Kyungsoo replied. "What's up?" 

"How possible is it that he would go to this school?" 

"Last I checked, he delved straight into his career after high school. Why? Is something the matter?" Had Jongin seen him? Were they reconciling? Was he cheating on Kyungsoo? The boy's heart beat a million miles a minute. 

"So you're saying he wouldn't be at this school?" Baekhyun asked for confirmation. 

"I don't think so." Kyungsoo ran a hand through his hair. "Baekhyun, what's going on?" 

Baekhyun took a deep breath. "There's a kid at our school named Oh Sehun. Fashion major. Visual arts minor. Not to stereotype, but that sounds so gay I might bow down to this person if I met him. Then again, I don't bow down to anyone, so in theory I would." 

Fashion major? "Oh Sehun was a model," Kyungsoo said. Baekhyun cursed. "You haven't seen him, have you?" 

"Chanyeol's roommate has, just last night. Skinny. Tall for his age. A year behind us. Not my words, but apparently he 'has a bottom so sweet, it makes honey jealous'. Not sure what that means though," Baekhyun explained. 

Mother of dead squirrels, that was Oh Sehun drawn by da Vinci. When he relayed the thought to Baekhyun, the boy on the other end cursed again. 

"Man, I'm sorry, I just had to let you know. I'd feel weird if Chanyeol had a past lover at this school, too. I'm lucky I'm his first." 

The friends hung up shortly, and Professor Choi walked in as if on cue. "Good morning, class." Her heels clacked on the cement aisle steps. She stopped to look at the Chinese boy. "Zhang Yixing, right? I didn't realize you were coming in again. I was told it was a one time thing." 

Yixing thought for a moment, and nodded. "I must've forgotten, I'm sorry," he said with a bow. He cast one last glance at Kyungsoo, then made his way out. 

"Oh, thank goodness," Kyungsoo breathed. "Professor Choi, you're the best." 

The woman blinked in confusion. "I... am not even going to ask," she said, and continued down the steps to the front row. 

*** 

Jongin flipped his notebook's front cover open and closed as he tried to focus on the prof, who was explaining the format of their grading process. It wasn't happening. He tore out a page from the very back and wrote on it, handing it inconspicuously to the boy bes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter