thirtytwo

Remember Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Your papers are due after the Lunar New Year,” said the professor, having to shout to be heard above the packing students. “Do not procrastinate! This isn’t something you can just half- the night before!”

Baekhyun paid no mind. He had finished the paper during the sleepless nights he’d had a few weeks ago. He just stuffed his notes into his backpack before running out of the door.

He was already running late to meet up with Kyungsoo because the prof had extended the class and heard none of the protests. “Your midterm marks were way too horrid to deserve the right to complain,” he had said.

Kyungsoo was sitting at the table in front of the coffee shop sipping on a cold drink, even in this weather. “Your prof sounds like a great guy,” he greeted with a laugh. “How’s life?”

Baekhyun collapsed onto the table and bwgan drinking the other drink on the table with “Whale poop” scrawled across as the name. “Don’t even ask, I’m not sure I’m alive.”

Kyungsoo was tentative when he asked, “How’s Chanyeol?”

“He’s good. Hasn't even gotten a whiff.”

“I guess that’s good. Have you seen Taemin?”

Baekhyun sighed. “Yeah. He’s pretty upset. He apparently has had a crush on me for a while.”

His friend winced. “Ouch. I didn't even know he was gay.”

“Yeah. He’s still in the closet. Doesn’t even want Jongin to know.”

Kyungsoo drank more of his frozen latte. “Any plans for Lunar New Year?”

Baekhyun shrugged. “We haven't spoken much about it yet. He wants to go to his moms, I think he wants another go at coming out. I really miss Nanna, though.”

“Doesn’t the whole cross-country thing get expensive?”

The black haired boy scoffed. “You’re lucky you and Jongin come from the same small town.”

Kyungsoo chuckled. “Yeah.”

“What are you guys doing?”

“Jongin’s mom wants us over. My family, Jongin’s aunt, the whole family.”

“Damn. Excited?” Baekhyun teased.

“Shut up. I’m trying not to think about it.”

“There’s still time. You know, a week.”

Kyungsoo huffed. “So Yixing’s in one of my and Joonmyun’s classes.”

Baekhyun made a face words could not describe. “Is there something going on between them?”

Kyungsoo shrugged. “Man, I hope not. Not to sound narcissistic, but Yixing is still very much in love with me. I don't want Joon getting hurt.”

Baekhyun nodded in agreement.

The two saw a security officer walking by, heard him call a code green subtly into a walkie talkie, and admired his chiseled face together. Baekhyun jumped when he felt strong hands on his shoulders and nearly spat his drink out at Kyungsoo’s face.

“Are you ogling that man?” Chanyeol asked playfully. “I can’t believe you would cheat on me like that.”

Baekhyun laughed. “If it helps, I was imagining you in a security uniform.” Chanyeol towered over and planted a kiss on his boyfriend's lips.

“Get a room.”

“Where’s Jongin?” Chanyeol asked Kyungsoo.

“Class. He has a mandatory workshop today.”

Chanyeol shook his head. “God, I hate those.”

***

Sehun was so overwhelmed with schoolwork that he had given up and was speaking on the phone with his mother. “I can’t take it anymore,” he said. “Can I just come back home and return to modelling instead?”

“Sehun, you hated modelling. That’s why you’re at school,” Ms. Oh reminded her son. “Besides, if you came home, how would you survive without seeing Luhan every day?”

Sehun blushed, and was grateful his mom couldn't see and Luhan wasn’t there to hear. “Mom!”

“I’m just saying!” his mom defended with a giggle. “I saw Jongin’s aunt Taeyeon at the grocery store today. Did you know Jongin’s dad had passed?”

Sehun grew somber. “No. I hadn't. I should talk to Jongin the next time I see him.”

“Do you see him often?”

“Not really. We have some mutual friends but our paths rarely cross.”

“You knew his father. You probably should talk to him.”

Sehun nodded to himself. “I will.”

There was some shuffling on the other side of the door, so Sehun quickly said goodbye to his mother and watched Luhan walk in. “Hey,” the older one greeted, sounding as exhausted as he looked.

Before Luhan could close the door, a hand pushed it open. In the doorway stood two campus security officers, badges ready. “We’ve got a search warrant for Oh Sehun.”

Sehun frowned. “Search warrant? What for?”

“We received a report about you possessing drugs.”

Luhan looked between Sehun and the two officers. “Sehun doesn’t do drugs. I would know.”

One of the officers patted him on the arm on his way across the room. “You don't have to do drugs to be in possession of them.”

Sehun felt like someone had shoved him under a waterfall in the dead of winter with no clothes on. “I…” he mumbled unconvincingly.

“Let me guess. ‘I have no idea what you’re talking about’, right? Listen kid, we’re just doing our job. Let us search you, and if you don't have anything, that’ll be the last of it.”

The other officer picked up his backpack. “This yours?” he asked. When he received a weak nod, it was prodded.

Luhan approached Sehun and put a reassuring hand on his elbow. “Don’t worry, you’re innocent,” he said. It didn’t seem to help the younger boy at all.

There was only one pocket of the bag left unemptied. As they ped it open, he fought off the urge to run out of the door.

“What’s this?” the officer asked, holding the unmarked pill bottle.

“Umm, I can explain that,” Sehun said.

The officer further away clicked his walkie-talkie, waited for the beep, and spoke clearly, “Code green confirmed. Awaiting instruction.”

“Bring suspect and evidence in,” came the swift reply.

Sehun dared to look at Luhan and regretted it immediately because as soon as he looked up, he was met with the most hurt-filled eyes. The officers handcuffed Sehun and he didn't even protest. He was trapped in Luhan’s gaze.

As Sehun was pulled away, the last thing he saw was a tear falling from Luhan’s chin to the toes of his shoes.

***

Yixing flew as fast as his legs would take him when he heard that Zitao had given his drugs to Sehun to hold. He saw campus safety dragging the boy away, the boy unfighting, broken.

“No way,” he whispered to himself.

He didn’t know what to do. He couldn’t just run after them and say the drugs were his. That would only add another person to the naughty list. Not to mention Sehun didn’t risk deportation.

How in the world would he make up for this? God, he never should have forgotten that bottle at Zitao’s! How had he dragged Sehun into this?

As he was cursing himself out in his head, he heard the door open. Luhan, with tears streaming down his face, had stuck his head out into the hallway.

“Yixing? What are you doing here?” he asked.

“Uhhh…” He glanced from side to side. He didn’t want anyone else to know exactly who had been the owner of the drugs. He already had so few friends to begin with. Friends. Of course! “I was just passing by! See you later!” he said, resuming his running in the opposite direction.

He knocked on the door like a mad man. “Please open up!” he begged. “Please be home!”

No one answered the door so he pulled out his phone. He didn’t even say hello. “Where are you? I’m outside your door.”

Joonmyun sounded surprised. “Umm, Yixing, I have class in ten minutes.”

“No, no, no. This is way more important. So much more important. Please come back to your room.”

“Yixing, you don’t sou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter