nineteen

Remember Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo snuggled into Jongin's chest, closing his eyes and counting his breaths.

 

"Soo," Jongin whispered, so as not to wake up the other boy's parents through the thin walls.

 

"Hmm?" the other hummed.

 

"Do you think we can really live like this?" It was an unexpected question for sure.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"I mean with my amnesia. Look, I am not gonna lie, I am not easy to live with, myself alone."

 

Kyungsoo sat up and Jongin followed not a second off-beat. "I lived with you before your symptoms, I lived with you after your symptoms," the former interjected.

 

"I know but dorm living and real life living is different. My mom had to make so many sacrifices for my dad. I just never realized it until now." He leaned against the wall, his hands behind his head. "If you don't want to live with me and my baggage, I really wouldn't hold it against you."

 

Kyungsoo stared at his boyfriend, wondering if he was already asleep and this was a nightmare. "Jongin, what are you saying?"

 

Jongin shrugged. "I'm not saying anything. I'm just saying you have the option. I don't want you to sacrifice anything for me."

 

The shorter boy pursed his lips and stared deeply into his boyfriend's eyes. Carefully, he started. "You know, I can't say I haven't thought about it."

 

Jongin bit his tongue in an attempt to keep his cool. "Then maybe--" his breath hitched, "--it's better if we... broke up..."

 

Slowly, thinking deeply, and staring at his own hands, Kyungsoo opened his mouth. Then he closed it. And then he nodded.

 

***

 

At breakfast, Sohee had prepared a feast for the boys. Chanyeol was the first up, and he walked into the kitchen rubbing his head. "It hurts," he whined.

 

"Oh, poor child," the woman cooed. "Here, let me fetch you some painkillers. You drank a lot last night, oh geez." She pulled a bottle of pills off the medicine rack in the fridge and filled the boy a glass of water. "Here," she said, offering them to him.

 

Chanyeol gulped down the medicine dry and used the water to chase it. "Thank you," he said, returning the empty glass to her and putting the bottle back himself.

 

"It should kick in soon. Have a bite to eat, too." Reminiscent of his own mother, Sohee ripped off a piece of bread and dipped it in jam before stuffing it into his mouth. With her thumb, she wiped off the corner of his lips and the sticky spread off her finger.

 

"Stooop~!" the boy whined cutely. He caught his mother-to-be stepmother-to-be by the wrist and spun her around, headache long forgotten.

 

"Oh, okay, this is happening, whoa, whoa, watch--" Sohee came to a stop and found herself in front of Chanyeol, her back pressed into his chest, his chin pressed into her shoulder. Her arms crossed over her chest, each wrist being held by either of Chanyeol's hands.

 

"How much of last night do you remember, Chanyeol?" she asked.

 

He let go of her hands and took a step back, the woman turned around to face him. "Okay, I'll take that as not much. Before your father wakes up, let me tell you." She took a step forward and put a hand on his shoulder to help get her on her toes, and started to whisper in his ear.

 

Without their knowledge, Park Taejoon had already woken up and was watching them from afar. Seeing his son's initial shock and then his relaxation, he jumped to conclusions. He was livid.

 

"What do you think you two are doing behind my back?" he asked, not so peacefully as the house had been a few minutes ago. The fear on their faces only fueled his rage. "Yeah, I caught you." Taejoon grabbed his son by the collar and Sohee attached herself to her fiancé's arm.

 

"Taejoon stop, you've misunderstood!" she cried.

 

"Misunderstood what?" He was staring right into Chanyeol's frightful eyes. "That was real quick, Yeol. Even for you."

 

Chanyeol frowned. "Dad, let me explain."

 

"And by explain you mean ad-lib, don't you?"

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter