three

Remember Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They woke up on separate ends of the bed, Kyungsoo nearly falling off. It was as though overnight the two of them had turned into magnets of the same pole, pushing each other away. 

Jongin arose groggily at the sound of his alarm, and in the same movement he used to switch off the noise, he picked up the book by his bedside. He opened the front page and read through it, as if searching for something. 

On the other end, Kyungsoo finally fell off the bed, two mornings in a row. "Ow," he muttered. After last night, he was excited to start a new day with his boyfriend, but once he looked up and saw him reading, his enthusiasm plummeted. "Good morning," he greeted, not expecting anything in return at this point. He stepped into the bathroom and took a quick shower, wrapping himself below the waist in a towel. 

Jongin looked up in pleasant surprise at the boy wearing almost no clothes, but looked back at the book in his hands before he noticed. When Kyungsoo glanced back, Jongin was buried nose-deep again. With a sigh, he put on a random shirt from a drawer, a fresh pair of underwear and yesterday's jeans. 

"You spoke to your prof yesterday right? He'll let you do your final today?" He had no idea why he was trying to make conversation. It's not like he was going to- 

"Yeah," Jongin said with a nod. "He told me I could." 

For a moment, Kyungsoo stared, eyes wide. His boyfriend hadn't lifted his eyes from the book, but he'd replied. This was proof of progress, right? Elated, he ran to the side of the boy in bed and grabbed his face, kissing his cheek. Jongin didn't react, but Kyungsoo didn't care this time. He was floating on cloud nine as he packed his bag. 

"Wish me luck on my summative, right?" Kyungsoo said. 

Still no response. The happiness was fading quickly. How hard could it be to simply say a phrase back? Two words! "Good" and "luck"! Or even "Do" and "well"! He started to fume. Maybe his response earlier was a fluke. A false hope. Jongin wasn't going to reply to him, not today, anyway. 

Briskly, he turned away, getting to the door and freezing with his hand on the knob. "Are you sure you don't want to break up?" Kyungsoo asked. The unresponsive boy made not even a peep. With that, he walked out. 

He passed Baekhyun's dorm on his way to the theatre building. The boy was just getting home, he must've fallen asleep where he was studying. Poor boy. 

Again, Kyungsoo was early. However, today he wasn't the first. Joonmyun was in the room, as if waiting for someone, for him to walk in. 

"Kyungsoo!" The older boy jumped to his feet. "I have the perfect plan!" 

Kyungsoo reeled back. Joonmyun was an odd type, not someone Kyungsoo hung out with as a general rule. He was unpredictable, which made him the perfect improv partner, but not exactly the best idea manager. "What is it?" he asked hesitantly. 

"We're going to..." Joonmyun leaned in for dramatic effect and whispered the rest of the sentence, "steal Jongin's book!" 

"You're crazy," Kyungsoo said, wondering why he even bothered listening to him. 

"No, I'm a genius. C'mon, we have just enough time, and the perfect opportunity. It'll be fun!" 

"He probably goes to class with that book!" Kyungsoo retorted. 

"Probably is enough for me." Without another word, Joonmyun grabbed Kyungsoo by the wrist and dragged him out of the room. In the public, he walked normally, not wanting attention. 

"I have to present first! If you don't get us back in time, I'll whoop your-" Kyungsoo stumbled over someone's bag on the floor. "Sorry!" he said, before throwing a glare at Joonmyun's head. 

At the dorm building, they waited for the ancient elevators and Joonmyun pushed the "4" button with an idiotic smile on his face. "Wipe that off, you look like a mutilated roadkill ferret's womb." The older boy's expression turned to one of disgust. 

Finally they reached the room and Kyungsoo fished out the key from his pocket. "It's not going to be here, I'm telling you," he said as he let the boy in. 

"Is that it?" Joonmyun asked, pointing to something. Kyungsoo bent around the wall and looked to see the one and only diary that had ever been so successfully hidden from him. It was all going to be over soon. 

He lunged for it and stuffed it in his bag. He'd read it directly after class. Besides, after Choreography, Jongin had Contemporary. He'd be plenty busy to notice this missing for a few hours. 

Hurrying back to class, Kyungsoo made Joonmyun sprint. He could not be late for his assignment. At the door, he was pleased to realize, they were on time. Joonmyun was spitting curses at him for forcing him to run, but that's what he deserved after a risky heist like that one. Kyungsoo was about to sit down and read the diary when Professor Choi walked in. 

"Good morning Kyungsoo, Joonmyun," she greeted as other students followed her in. Once everyone, including herself, was in place, she started speaking. "Alright, today we have Kim Joonmyun, Park Bohyung, Wu Daehyun, and Kim Chansoo, am I right?" She glanced at her clipboard one more time. "Oh, I'm sorry, Do Kyungsoo and Son Jieun, you two will go first since you didn't get a chance to yesterday." 

Joonmyun patted his back in some odd effort for support. God, that boy is creepy, Kyungsoo found himself thinking. He got up and walked calmly with his bag to the tech booth, plugging in his laptop to one of the cables on the desk beside the sound board. On the left of the sound board was the light board. He took a deep breath and tried hard to calm the butterflies in his stomach. 

The lights onstage went out, as directed by Kyungsoo's fingers on the slide. The backlight turned dark red. Light cue twenty three and twelve were switched on, being low lights, and gave the stage an eerie feel. So far so good, Kyungsoo thought. 

On his laptop he played some cave witches music, along with thunder.mp3. Three spotlights formed around what Kyungsoo left to the viewers' imagination to be a cauldron. The lowlights flickered, giving the impression of wavering candle flames. The witches audio was finished, ending with maniacal laughter, so Kyungsoo let the lights go off again, but waited for the last thunder roll to be done before cutting off that audio file. 

The lights came on to a pink backlight, lighthearted music, and two spotlights walking from upstage left to centre stage. Birds chirped. Crickets sung. Peace was present. And faintly, the evil cackle of the witches were heard. The backlight went dark pink, then violet, then purple, then black. Weeks ago, Kyungsoo had found the audio file for indistinguishable chatter and had played around with it to transform it into indistinguishable arguments instead. Over it came the yelling track of protesters. He let that run while the spotlights disappeared and were replaced by wider lights, two different colours. 

Kyungsoo was interrupted by the sudden opening of the door. Jongin forced himself in, Lee Taemin trying hard to hold him back. Thank God his classmates couldn't see the tech booth in the dark. "What are you doing here?" he asked his boyfriend and his friend. 

"Do you have my book? You have it, don't you?" Jongin was almost feverish with the aggressiveness of his tone. 

Taemin shrugged helplessly. "I tried to hold him back, he's stubborn." 

"Jongin, I'm doing a final presentation, can we talk later?" Kyungsoo asked, turning back to the lights board. The scene had been the same for the last minute. Thank God it made sense for it to be that way. With a smooth transition, he moved the blue coloured light to push back the red one. Guns started firing. This was revolution. 

And Jongin was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter