eighteen

Remember Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Well, I'm a fourth year, like Chanyeol," Baekhyun started nervously before taking a sip of his beer. "And a Music major." 

"He's me, but shorter," Chanyeol said, reversing the conversation they'd had with Nanna. 

Baekhyun took another swig at his bottle, but not before muttering under his breath, "And more talented." 

"Yeah?" Chanyeol asked, half a smile grazing his pink lips. "That's funny. I seem to recall someone's grandma saying he told her that I was a great musician." 

"I said great, not greatest," the shorter boy said with a chuckle. 

Mr. Park leaned in towards his fiancé. "I think they forgot we're here," he whispered. She giggled at the sight of the two friends getting along. 

Chanyeol threw his head back and laughed, nudging Baekhyun's knee with his. And that was it. After the first contact, there wasn't any force strong enough to keep them from touching each other. 

Mr. Park cleared his throat, and plastered on a brief smile when his son and his friend looked up, faces blank and pale. 

"Uh huh. And your grandmother, she lives where, you said?" 

"Up north. Not too close to the border, but close," Baekhyun replied. 

Chanyeol piped up, "It was such a quaint little village. The kind Mom always wanted to visit." 

Suddenly, Mr. Park blew up. "For Christ's sake, would you stop bringing her up?" 

The tall boy was taken aback, as he hadn't meant any harm, but judging by the look on Sohee's face, he'd caused it. "I'm sorry," he said, stunned. "I didn't mean to, umm—" 

"It's okay," the woman said with a genuine-looking smile. Her fiancé seemed dubious, so she nodded affirmatively and met his eyes. "Really, it's fine. Don't worry about me, I wasn't expecting anything. Honestly, Taejoon, he's a grown man. Let him speak without his filters with you." Cocking her eyebrows up, she tilted her head to the side and added, "You'd be surprised what you'd learn." 

She stood up and picked up the older man's empty bottle. "More?" she asked the room, getting three "yes please"s. The bottles were thrown out into the garbage bag in the kitchen and Sohee reappeared with three new ones. 

The room was silent, until Chanyeol cleared his throat. Baekhyun wondered if this was it, the big confession, but what came out of his boyfriend's mouth was a peaceful, "Umm, Sohee, how did you meet my dad?" 

The woman closed her eyes and smiled. "Oh, it was insane. First, we had a little car accident on the highway. That was when I was on my way to a job interview at his law firm." She laughed sweetly at the memory. "For the record, he bumped into me. Oh, how your father drives, it's crazy. Anyway, as luck would have it, I started to work on his team. You know how it is, your mother is a lawyer, too. The late night hours, the office love-affairs. Around the time I'd started, I had a boyfriend." 

Mr. Park clenched and unclenched his fist. 

"He was a little bit of a jerk, and he forgot my birthday, and that was the last straw. I broke up with him, and went to a bar to 'celebrate' by myself," Sohee said, making air quotes with her fingers. "Apparently your father was there, too. Regular customer, it seems. We were both heavy drinkers. He saw me, and he wished me a happy birthday upon coming up to me. He remembered. And he ordered me a couple of rounds..." Suddenly, she was blushing and Chanyeol wasn't sure he wanted to hear the rest of that night. 

"Have you quit drinking?" he asked, hearing how forward it sounded. "I mean, because you aren't now, while we all are." 

Sohee waved a hand in denial. "I could never live the rest of my life without my wine. I'm just on... a temporary diet," she said, putting a hand to her stomach. 

"You're pregnant," Baekhyun realized. 

Sohee nodded. "Seven weeks," she confessed. Then she looked up to meet Chanyeol's eyes, her face radiating fear. "We were engaged before that, I promise," she was quick to add, but Chanyeol's shocked expression didn't change. 

"You mean... I'm getting a sibling?" he whispered, heard only by the boy beside him. 

For what he could remember of his childhood, he'd wanted a sibling, begged for one even. He'd wanted to have someone look up to him. Especially when his parents were talking of divorce. He was sure a new kid would stick them back together like super glue to the two halves of a vase. All of his hope for that died overnight when the papers were signed and the judge declared them unmarried. Now? He was twenty-two and afraid to tell his parents he'd found the love of his life. He was a pathetic coward, no role-model material. This kid would be unlucky to have him as a brother. 

Baekhyun had no idea of the inner turmoil that was going on on the very couch, but he reached his hand out nonetheless. Numb, Chanyeol didn't reject his hand being held. 

"Chanyeol, are you okay?" asked his f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter