thirtyone

Remember Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Joonmyun was nervous. The assignment Professor Choi had in mind was something far from what he thought it would be. Sure, the basic idea was to write a monologue. And yeah, then a monologue would be presented to the class. But things change when the monologue one presents is different than the one they write.

So Joonmyun now had to write a monologue from his own point of view, and someone else would present it. Great. That’s no pressure at all.

He groaned and slammed his notebook closed, the last half hour having been spent writing only the word ‘the’ as possibly the first word of a title that was yet to be decided. He stood up and paced around his bed, and something sticking out from under it caught his eye. He bent down to pick it up and revealed a rainbow striped sock. Just one.

“Hey, man,” Joonmyun whispered. “Where’s your friend?”

He knew that sock did not belong to him because he did not own anything this outrageously attention-grabbing. He thought back to who it could belong to.

There was only one option. Only one person had been in his room recently enough for this sock to be here.

Joonmyun kicked off his shoes and his guest followed suit. Their unfinished game of Monopoly sat untouched on the table, and both of them silently entertained the thought of continuing it, but neither felt like suggesting so.

Instead they pulled out Joonmyun’s deck of cards and played a round of Go Fish. Between requests for twos and collections of books, they chatted.

Eventually there came a question that made Joonmyun falter.

“Are you really straight?”

He blinked. “Go fish..?”

“Is that a no?”

“No. No, it’s a yes. I am straight.”

“How do you know?”

“How do you know you’re gay?”

“Because I’ve kissed girls and boys alike. I didn't like the girls one fraction of the bit I liked even the most repulsive of the boys.”

“Maybe you’re just extremely picky.”

“Maybe you’re afraid of being gay.”

“I’m not, I’m just sure of my uality. What’s wrong with that?”

“Have you ever even kissed a boy?”

“No. Do I have to? Jeez. Also, do you have any sixes?”

“Go fish. Haven't you ever been curious? Nines?”

Joonmyun handed over two nines. In that moment, his opponent grabbed his wrist and pulled him closer, close enough for their lips to touch should Joonmyun lean just a little bit forward.

Screw it, he thought, and leaned right in.

Their kiss lasted all of 20 gruelling seconds. Rather, their first kiss did. It seemed like that was the secret key to unlock whatever was locked away in both of them and suddenly the game was all but forgotten. They were on top of each other now, limbs floating every which way, and one by one the fabric obstructing the contact of skin on skin was strewn across the room haphazardly.

“Not gay, huh?”

“Shut up,” Joonmyun said. “This stays a secret.”

“My lips are sealed, Angel.”  And then those very lips were on Joonmyun’s again.

Joonmyun winced. The memory felt like so long ago, despite only being a few days old. He hadn't seen Yixing since; he’d left shortly after Chanyeol’s knocking on the door had woken them both up.

He stared at the sock in his hand, one of the many reminders that it had really happened. The game of Monopoly stood right in its place on the table. The deck of cards had taken him a day to pack up and he was still missing the Jack of hearts.

***

Baekhyun felt less guilty about cheating on Chanyeol now that he knew it never would have happened without the alcohol. Given some time, and Chanyeol never finding out, he might even be able to forget it even happened.

What he couldn't forget was the hurt in Taemin’s eyes whenever they crossed paths now. He didn't know if they were crossing paths more frequently than before or if he was only noticing now that he had reason to notice. Either way, he hadn't been rid of his guilt, it was only redirected.

“I can't believe Kris,” said Chanyeol. “Get this, Baek. I walked in on Kris cleaning his bathroom floor.”

“Yeah? He’s a germaphobe. In case of a viral outbreak, I’d go to him before anywhere else.”

“No, you don't get it. He was cleaning with his bare hands. And a few squares of toilet paper. Nothing else.”

Baekhyun dropped his jaw. “No way. That’s not a thing. I don't believe it.”

“Trust me, if I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't either.”

“Was Zitao there?”

“I didn't see him, but I heard his voice.”

Baekhyun knew that there was virtually no place in a dorm room someone could be without being seen. “Where was he?”

“I think he was also in the bathroom.”

Baekhyun stared at the wall with a squint in his eyes. “Yeol, do you know what they are?”

Chanyeol hopped onto the bed beside Baekhyun. “That’s been on my mind for a long time. I mean, Kris says he’s from Canada, but he never goes to visit there.”

Baekhyun shut his softcover book and gently tapped it repeatedly on his boyfriend's head. “You idiot, I meant what are they to each other? What’s their relationship?”

Chanyeol his chin. “I honestly have no idea. I just thought they were friends.”

“There’s no way they’re just friends. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen them making out.”

Chanyeol nodded. “That would be strange for friends to do, yes. Come to think of it, I think I walked in on them cuddling asleep. I just thought it was really cute how close they were.”

“For someone still partially in the closet, your gaydar is so off whack.”

“I threw out my gaydar as soon as I met you,” Chanyeol said with a cheesy smile. He was happy that Baekhyun was back to normal. Whatever spell had been keeping him under the weather was gone now. “Hey, do you wanna go out?”

“Like… on a date? Are you asking your own boyfriend on a date?”

“Can I not?” Chanyeol asked playfully. “Is that against the rules?”

“Wait, are you serious?”

“Yeah.”

“Like, now?”

“Yeah!”

“But I’m not ready to go out. I’m ready to go to sleep.” Baekhyun glanced at the clock on the wall. “It's nearly midnight.”

“Let’s go on a walk. You don't have to change, it’s mellow out. Come on! Please!”

Baekhyun was unable to resist Chanyeol’s impossibly adorable pleas.

They found themselves taking a stroll beneath streetlamps and holding hands, swinging in the space between them. Baekhyun hummed a song. Chanyeol hummed back. The pathways were devoid of people, probably because of how late and cold it was, but the two didn’t seem to care.

“Hey, Baek,” Chanyeol whispered into the night, partly because it was so quiet, a whisper was all that was needed.

“Hmm?” Baekhyun replied.

“If you ever want to talk about what was bothering you for so long, you know I’m here to listen, right?”

Baekhyun chuckled at the irony that the one person he couldn't talk to was telling him that he could. “I know, Yeol. I love you. Thank you.” After a brief pause, he added, “You know, I’m here to listen too.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean you not coming out to your mom. She said something, didn't she?” The tense he felt pulse from the hand in his was answer enough. “You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to, but just know, I am here to listen.”

“Thank you, Baek.” Chanyeol leaned over to the side and gave the other a kiss on the crown of his head. “I love you.”

***

“Red bean green tea with pearls?” Luhan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter