four

Remember Me?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo ran out of the room, unable to breathe. The reality caught up with him. Jongin couldn't remember. Jongin couldn't remember and he still loved Kyungsoo. There must be something about him in the book, but Kyungsoo put that aside. Jongin woke up beside him every morning and noticed when he was gone. And every morning he woke up beside Kyungsoo, he didn't go, "Who are you?" He went, "You must be the one I love." And that had been true for sure, up until today. What if he hated Kyungsoo now? 

Jongin had been his boyfriend for six years. He was something of a habit, maybe even an addiction. What would he do if they broke up now? Never mind that he had been the one wanting it, that was when he didn't know the full story. Kyungsoo felt sick to the stomach at the thought of Jongin muttering those life-shattering words to him. So he ran. 

He ran from the Dance building, and even from the Drama and Theatre building. He ran outside, off campus, and to the bus stop. He sat down in the cold December air and watched the snow fall. He didn't look up when he heard footsteps walk up to the same stop, or when the bus came and the person got on behind him. Only then did he start to question, "What am I running from?" 

The man behind him started to laugh, finally grabbing Kyungsoo's attention. He turned around and his horrified eyes met the cute dimples of none other than- 

"Kyungsoo? I can't believe it! You haven't changed a bit! Haven't even grown an inch," Zhang Yixing said. 

"Yixing? I thought you were in China?" Kyungsoo said with a gulp. What was his ninth grade flirt doing here? 

"Well I loved it here in year nine, you remember that, right?" Yixing asked, and continued when Kyungsoo nodded. "Anyway, I managed to convince my parents to let me finish up university here. I'm set to transfer for second semester, and I was just finalizing some issues. What about you? Don't tell me you go here too?" 

Kyungsoo nodded again, at a loss for words. This must be fate reminding Kyungsoo that it hated him. This could not have been a coincidence, someone in the Screw Lives Up factory must have worked extra hours to be able to pull these strings. 

"That's awesome! We'll be seeing each other more often then!" Yixing threw an arm around Kyungsoo's shoulders and the shorter boy felt panic. No, no, no! This isn't right, Yixing isn't Jongin! 

The Korean boy shrugged the arm off and turned to the surprised Chinese boy. "Look, Yixing, it's nice and dandy that you're back and attending my school, but I have a boyfriend." 

Yixing's smile faltered, but only for a second—so short that Kyungsoo wondered if he'd imagined it. "Yeah, no, totally. I get it, no touchsies, that's all," he said. 

Kyungsoo was relieved. "Thank you for understanding." 

Yixing nodded. "Yeah, for sure. So, who's the lucky guy?" 

"Kim Jongin," Kyungsoo answered without hesitation. "I've been dating Kim Jongin since the eleventh grade." 

Yixing opened his eyes as wide as they would go. "I'm not sure which to mention first, the fact that Jongin was a jerk, or that that's a very long time for a relationship." 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, at both, really. He'd heard both before, and way too often. It was at every high school reunion, every Facebook message chat with someone he'd went to high school with. Nobody could fathom that six years had passed and they still hadn't broken up. At least, unless Jongin wanted to now... Having reminded himself again, Kyungsoo bit his lip to prevent himself from puking on the bus. 

"Hey, I hadn't meant to offend. I mean, it's a long relationship, is all. It's a good thing, right? Longer than ours... Or are you mad at the 'jerk' thing? I mean, you can't deny it. I don't know, maybe he's changed, but maybe, I dunno. Is he nice to ya? Nicer than me?" 

Kyungsoo hadn't heard any of what Yixing had said until he was done saying it. He shook his head. "It's nothing you said, just..." 

"Are you guys having problems?" Yixing asked, eyes wide with a little bit of something. Pity? Sympathy? Hope? Kyungsoo wasn't sure, but it made him feel queazy. 

"No. Nothing about Jongin," Kyungsoo lied. "Jongin and I are going good. I'm stressed about finals." 

Yixing nodded, disappointed. "Yeah, well, good luck with those." He stood up and picked up his bag, slinging it over one shoulder. "This is my stop, I've got a place off campus around here. You can come visit anytime, right?" 

Kyungsoo nodded absentmindedly. "Yeah. Sure." 

Kyungsoo got off at the stop after Yixing's, and crossed the street. There he waited for the opposite direction bus to take him back to campus. He had to catch Jongin before he went in for Contemporary. He just had to. 

"Seoul University of Arts," announced the robotic voice. Kyungsoo got up and pushed the door open, getting bit on the face by the sharp teeth of the cold air. 

It felt like campus was a whole new maze. Out of panic, he could hardly find the D&T building. Once he saw Joonmyun, though, he knew where he was. "Where'd you go? You missed my performance! It was so cool, there was this city, and this monster, I was kinda picturing Godzilla, but he must have like, a thousand copyrights on him. Anyway-" 

"Sorry!" Kyungsoo interrupted him. "I can't talk. I gotta find Jongin." 

He burst through the doors he'd used earlier. Again, it took him some time to find the room, but by the time he got there, it was empty. 

He slumped by the door, tired. As he slid to a sitting position, he saw something on the floor. Upon closer inspection, it was a green sticky-note, "Choreo final - December 12th" it said. One of the corners had been folded in and Kyungsoo saw the loop of a letter. He flipped over the note and found more writing. "DKS, mee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter