The Competition

Fighting! ,Park Shin Hye

NOTE::: WHILE READING, I recommend you to listen to the songs I have written in this chapter. That way you can understand why I wrote certain things. Also, I want you to feel the emotions and how the songs fit with their performances/ circumstances. Comment if you did listen to it. Thank you! :D

CHAPTER 31

 

Friday March 17th, 2017. The most anticipated day of the month. Shin Hye had been practicing  her songs non stop. She was eager and determined to reach somebody that she had in mind. She was hoping that her performance twirled the audience’s emotions. It was her big day. Today was the day where she would be “Park Shin Hye The Pianist” again after a hiatus. Ever since she fell into the eating disorder, she didn’t know who she was because the e.d had consumed her. She thought without it she was nothing. It became a part of her. But Shin Hye was more than that. Throughout the year, she had realized she was somebody that people cared for. She was somebody that people loved, even though she was awkward and quiet. She realized that her biggest fan gave her all the support and inspired him to pursue music as his career. Oh, how she had wished that her mom was alive again to see her healthy and enjoying life just the way her mom wanted.  Shin Hye smiled at herself in the mirror. Yes, she looked wonderful. Her complexion was glowing with a minimal amount of makeup. She had straightened her long luscious hair and wore a pastel pink lace knee-length dress. It had a darker pink bow on the collar and the dress had mid-length sleeves. She wore her chunky white heel shoes.  The final step was to put on the star necklace that Yong Hwa gave her. Shin Hye glanced over at the clock. “Oh!” she exclaimed. “Kahi, it's time to go!”


 

“Mr. Choi are you sure that the recording  will end before five?” Yong Hwa asked his manager while they were fixing his hair for the recording of a variety show. Mr. Choi gave him a look. “Aish, of course. We are all going to the competition. We will make sure that it does end.” Mr. Choi smiled at him. “Okay!” Yong Hwa smiled back. With that they went to do the recording calmly.

 

It was a quarter to three and the recording has been finished. “Oh what a day..” Jungshin said while they began to eat something in the van.

“It was pretty fun.” Minhyuk replied. “By the way what time is the competition?”

“It starts at five..” Yong Hwa was nervous if they don’t get there on time.

“Are dressed right for the occasion?” Jonghyun asked from the backseat.

“Eh, not really. But what’s important is that we get there.” Yong Hwa responds.

“Did you really not get her flowers?” Minhyuk asked.

“Of course I did. I ordered it and it's going to arrive there. Aye I thought of everything.” Yong Hwa was confident. He had bought her a huge bouquet of flowers for Shin Hye. It was filled with antique hydrangeas, proteas and orchids.  A few forty minutes had passed by but it seemed like there was not much movement.

“Excuse me, when do you think we will get there?” Yong Hwa asked worriedly.

“In an hour. There is so much traffic right now. Sorry kiddo.” The driver said.

“Don’t worry Yong, it's only an hour. At 4:40 we will get there?” Minhyuk tried to comfort him.

“Right…” YongHwa replied as he looked out the window. Traffic out of all the days.

 

It was four thirty in the afternoon. Shin Hye, Kahi and Hye Jung were already in the venue.

“It’s going to be alright. Don’t worry. Play your heart out as always.” Kahi comforted her before she left to go backstage.

“We are here for you. Don’t think about anything else! Ok?!” Hye Jung gave her two cents to the pep talk. Shin Hye nodded her head. She hasn’t felt this nervous in a while. The palms of her hands were sweating. Yes, she feels alive. She will reunite with the stage and the audience again. She will reunite with the grand piano that once connected her and her mother. Every key she played was for her mother. But this performance will be different. Her mother is not here. Shin Hye would dwell on the fact that her mother isn’t alive so why play the piano. But it's more than that, the piano also gave her a reason to live once again. Yes, this performance will be different. Her mother is alive within her. She will try to reach her mother that lives within her memories and heart. Shin Hye will also be playing for someone else. She will try to reach him as well. He is Yong Hwa.

Shin Hye decided to turn her head. “Oh.. Dad? Ailee?” a smile formed on her face. Her father and Ailee waved from a far. Shin Hye went towards them.

“You guys made it! I didn’t think you would!” Shin Hye was sincerely happy.

“I wouldn’t miss for the world, Shin Hye.” Her father replied and hugged her.

“Thank you for coming!” Shin Hye bowed after she hugged her father.

“Shin Hye.. of course we would come. Its great to have a famous step sister.” Ailee smiled. Shin Hye was glad that therapy had done well with Ailee. She feels like she could love her now.

“Noo..don’t say that.” Shin Hye responded.

“We will support you until the end!” Her father pinched her cheeks. It really made Shin Hye content.

“I’ll get going! I’m going to go back stage now!” Shin Hye bowed her head formally.

“Alright Shin Hye we will go to our seats.” Her father said.

“Fighting!” Ailee exclaimed as Shin Hye walked away.

Shin Hye entered the waiting room. There was various waiting rooms so that the contestants could feel more comfortable. The waiting room of hers was empty. She sat down on the couch and let out a sigh. She grabbed on to the star from the necklace and kept it close to her neck, “YongHwa.. I hope you can make it…” she said to herself.

“Shin Hye? Is that you?” a familiar voice asked. She looked up.

“Ah..Jong suk. Hi..” she wore her poker face.

“Wow..you look different.” Jong suk laid by the doorway entrance.

“Really? I guess so.” her tone of voice was indifferent.

“But same as always towards me..” he sighed. He clearly remembers the type of expression on her face when she would talk to the guitar boy. It irritated him. But his fault for not pursing her more or even confessing. He didn’t do anything about it. He really wanted to beat her fair and square. He thought by beating her in this competition she would fall for him. But that wouldn’t work seeing that she already had somebody else in mind.Instead he worked hard practicing to just beat her and be their last farewell. His pride also played an important role. “Anyways.. Let’s see which  of us wins..I’m determined.”

“Jong suk..” Shin Hye made eye contact with him. He couldn’t help but feel his heart palpitate for a moment. He couldn’t say anything so he just raised his eyebrows to let her know that she could continue and he was listening.

“Jong suk, let’s see.” her voice was firm and smirked. The aura around her made him get goosebumps.

“Alright.” He said confidently and walked away.

 

It's five forty. It’s Jong suk’s turn to play on the piano. Shin Hye stood by the tv that was outside on the hall. She would like to see how he does. Not because she wants to beat him instead admire his  time and effort that he put into practicing. She only said that to him to get him off guard but she didn’t mean it. He’s a great pianist but she doesn’t understand why he doesn’t see it. But she will never tell him. She would feel like that it wouldn’t be fun anymore. She likes it when he thinks that he has a rival when she doesn’t even care about having him as a rival. Actually she feels honored that somebody would like to have her as a rival. Maybe it's something psychological. Shin Hye feels like that if he believes that he has a rival that he would feel more compelled to become a better pianist.  He stood on the stage and gently walked towards the piano bench. Everything was silent. He sat down and carefully ed one button from his suit jacket.He sat there for a few seconds; he slowly picked up his hands and placed them on the piano keys.

“No way….Etude in A minor, Op.25, No.11 ‘Winter wind.’” Shin Hye whispered as he played the first few notes on the piano.  It starts out sweet and kind. Just like love. Love is happy and fluffy but hardships come with it. The winter wind freezes you and if you aren’t prepared you will catch a disease. You will only feel warmth if you have prepared and have somebody by your side.

‘What is this..why am I so captivated..what’s with this aura..’ Shin Hye thought. Shin Hye’s eyes widened as she saw his concentration and the colors from his playing overwhelming her. The colors ranged from a yellow to an orange. ‘He doesn’t seem angry instead it’s a frustration. A frustration from what? It can not be about rivalry. It feels like love. Frustration from love. He thought it would be great but it’s not because the person he loves doesn’t love him back. This is all his emotions.’

‘Sure Shin Hye. This is for you. This is my rejection. I don’t need your approval. I am great as I am.  My rejection..will it reach you?’ he said to himself as he played. He finished his first song. Shin Hye was taken back with his performance. She was speechless. ‘Why do I suddenly..weird..?’  He placed his fingers on the keys again.

“Don’t tell me. Wow Chopin again. Etude in C minor, Op.10. No.12. Also known as the Revolutionary Etude.” She said to herself.  This time the vibe was different, the colors were different and his facial expression.  Red was surrounding Jong suk. He’s angry. Shin Hye felt a bit overwhelmed. His concentration and the feelings he was putting on to it. He was definitely playing for someone.

‘I won’t let you win. I will show you Shin Hye that I am one of the greatest rivals you would ever have.’ He aggressively touched the keys.

He finished and the audience didn’t comprehend that it was over. He stood up and bowed his head and everybody realized that it was over and began to clap furiously. Yes, it was a great performance that impacted the audience.

“Shin Hye, it's your turn.” The person in charge told her. She was third to last from the competition.

 

“Guys we have to run! My mom just texted me that she is up next.” Yong Hwa exclaimed as they were getting out from the car that just parked in the parking lot.

“Let’s do this!” Jung Shin said determinedly. The manager and the four members ran inside into the venue and suddenly opened the door of the theatre. Just in time they made it, Shin Hye was on stage. Yong Hwa was captivated of how Shin Hye looked. She looked absolutely gorgeous. Everything about her was perfect.

Shin Hye was walking to the piano bench and she heard a few comments “Oh my gosh its really her!’ It’s Park Shin Hye.’” Her heart began to palpitate as if it was going to jump right off her chest.  She sat down on the bench. Shin Hye didn’t begin right away. All the memories of her and her mom began to flood in her mind. Her mother would vomit and vomit in the bathroom when Shin Hye would supposedly be asleep. But Shin Hye saw it all. Shin Hye saw how her mom began to lose her hair.  She would carefully creep up behind her and see her mom trying to fix her hair but blotches of hair would come out. Her mom’s eyes were lifeless and worn out. Shin Hye remembered the day when she found out her mom died. All because of a competition she couldn’t be with her mom. She didn’t want to do this now. No, Shin Hye get it together. All of it is in the past. ‘I have to overcome this.’ she thought as almost a minute has passed by and it was dead silent. Everybody was worried. “What is she doing?” a judge remarked.

“Yong Hwa what’s wrong?” Minhyuk asked innocently.

“Don’t worry. It will be fine.” Yong Hwa was confident.

Shin Hye turned to look at the audience. So much anticipation from everybody. Suddenly, she made eye contact with Yong Hwa. He smiled at her and mouthed the words “Fighting, Park Shin Hye!” He gestured a fist. She felt relieved. ‘I can do this.’ She turned her head back to focus the piano. “Begin.” she whispered kind of loudly which made the audience chuckle at her cuteness.  Jong suk was looking at the tv and smirked as she placed her fingers gently on the keys.

“It’s Chopin’s Fantaisie Impromptu. Oh my..” Yong Hwa was in awe. She touched the keys with such delicacy and gentleness as if she was caressing a baby. The colors were  purple and blue. The colors of sadness and dreams. The stage sparkled and her face was calm. Sadness evaded the atmosphere. When will you ever see the person again? The regret that comes along with hurting someone. But also there is some type of hope for forgiveness and being able to be with that person. In the end it all just becomes a fantasy. One realizes that they will only live within your fantasy.  Everybody’s face was wide open and some tears were rolling down their cheeks.

“That was beautiful..” Jungshin whispered.

“That was for her mom…” YongHwa said.

Shin Hye began to play her second song.

“What song is this?” Minhyuk asked Yong Hwa.

Yong Hwa smiled. “Love Dream by Franz Liszt.”  This time the colors were different. It was pink, violet and lilac. Pastel colors filled the theatre and imaginary bubbles popped out each note she played. It was so magical. It felt like one was on a cloud and floating around. It made one feel all fluffy and warm inside.  One part sounds if there was complications in love but it becomes resolved. You can feel like you can overcome anything with that person. Being with that person feels like the best dream ever. Yong Hwa stood frozen and his eyes began to tear.

“Will it reach him...reach him...please..” she thought as played the last few measures.

“It reached me..” he whispered to himself as she finished. She stood on stage and bowed her head. Everybody in the audience was in awe and silent as they were processing such a beautiful performance. They felt something different from her performance. It impacted them.Not a sound was heard. Yong Hwa snapped out of it and slowly clapped. There was a few other claps as she left to go backstage.


 

The competition was over and the results were already up.  The contestants were given permission to leave the waiting room.  Shin Hye waited by the hallway of the waiting rooms to see if Jong suk passes by. He walks past her ignoring her presence.

“Jong suk.” she called out his name.  He turned around.

“Yeah?” his voice also sounded indifferent.

“You did well.” Shin Hye smiled at him. He did not expect that. He tried not to show that he was actually happy for her acknowledgement.

“Of course I did.” He smirked. His remark made her chuckle.  “Farewell, Shin Hye.” He turns around and place his hand up gesturing a goodbye. Yes, he will get over her. He doesn’t want to see her again because his heart aches so much.

“Goodbye..”

 

Shin Hye came out of the waiting room to the main lobby where everybody was gathered to see the results that have been posted. She wasn’t interested in that. She wanted to see the crew, her family and Yong Hwa. Her eyes wondered around and suddenly somebody hugged her from behind.

“I’m sorry..you didn’t win..” It was Kahi.

“Ah Kahi!! Yeah I figured. I wasted a whole minute. I probably didn’t keep it under ten minutes then..” Shin Hye turned around and hugged her back. Hye Jung went it for the hug as well.

“You did so well!! Oh my gosh! I was recording you put then my phone dropped as you started to play. I was mesmerized!” Hye Jung exclaimed.  Somebody cleared his throat.  

“Shin Hye…” They stopped the hug and let Shin Hye go.

“Dad.. ailee..” Shin Hye’s eyes were filled with appreciation.

“Your mom would have been so proud of you..just like I am.” His words were soft and gentle to her ears.

“Dad..” Her eyes began to water. Yes she played for her. She would have been proud. She went to hug him. After the hug, Shin Hye went on to hug Ailee.

“Thank you soo much for coming!”

“No thank you. It was beautiful.”

“Alright Kahi we will meet for dinner okay?” Her father directed himself to Kahi.

“Yes we will. At your house right?” Kahi asked.

“Yes. I got to buy some things I forgot.”

“Alrighty.”

“I’ll see you later.”Shin Hye waved goodbye.

“I wonder who won first..” Shin Hye said to Kahi.

“Ah that kid Jong suk.” Kahi responded.

“Oh wow. I don’t mind actually.” Shin Hye was actually happy for him. He got what he wanted. Now he gets to travel around Europe and perform all he wants. The manager, Jungshin, Jonghyun and Minhyuk arrived and praised her for her performance. While the three members were taking pictures with her, the manager would “talk” ,more like flirting with Kahi.

“Oh Shin Hye you received a message!” Hye Jung handed Shin Hye’s cellphone to her. She grabbed it and looked at the message. It was from Yong Hwa.

        “Hey meet me under the willow tree.”

“Kahi, Yong Hwa wants to meet me under the willow tree.” Shin Hye told her.

“Oh let's go then!” Kahi smiled.

They said their goodbyes and told the manager and members that they would meet at Shin Hye’s dad’s home. Kahi gave the manager the address. Hye Jung, Kahi and Shin Hye walked out and got in the car.

 

Shin Hye walked to the willow tree. Yong Hwa was standing there patiently as she arrived.

“Hey..”he smiled. Their hearts began to flutter.

“Hi..”she smiled as well.

“Congrats on not winning.” Yong Hwa . The wind brushed through the leaves of the willow tree and their hairs.

“Yah.” she chuckled.

“But congrats on reaching me.” He went behind the tree and picked up the big bouquet of flowers. He gave it to her.  “I’m so proud of you.” Shin Hye received the flowers and looked at it with endearing eyes.

“Thank you for everything Yong Hwa.” she said softly. He slowly leaned in his head and laid his lips on hers. She didn’t care. Shin Hye missed him so much that she wanted this kiss to linger in her mind until they can be together again. Shin Hye closed her eyes. He softly kissed her and she followed. Their lips touched with such love and care. Yong Hwa gently wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her in. The bouquet of flowers fell to the ground as she was too engrossed in the kiss. She laid her hands on his chest. Their lips caressed each other as the wind blew through them and the sun was setting.


THE END.

 

A/N: WOW! I can't believe it that it finished! Thank you so much for being with me but before I start my sappy speech. Would you guys would like to have an Epilogue? I would need to have like 20 or more comments if you want an epilogue.~ If I do get it, just be patient I started college a few days ago. Oh my gosh, I have so much homework. And I will write my sappy speech because you guys honestly deserve it! So I will be waiting! Love you!!