Fifth

Regrets

When he reached home he was covered with bruises and had some difficulty walking. The rest of the SHINee members started asking questions like, 'what happened to you?' and 'Are you alright?' in which he responded with, "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine. Just a little injured but fine."

He walked right past his worried hyungs and sat on the first chair he could reach. Although he said he was fine, his foot is actually killing him.

His hyungs weren't convinced he was fine though. Key started inspecting his injury and he was frowning which could only mean he doesn't like what he see.

"Yah! Aren't you supposed to be at the hospital right now?" Key demanded but Taemin just shrugged him off.

"Aish... It's just a sprain. Nothing serious. Stop over reacting."

They hesitated for a bit however it was that weird smile on his face which finally convinced them that there was no reason for them to be worried. Their maknae looked happy for reasons they couldn't comprehend.

That night Taemin sent her a message. 

To: Pretty Girl

Were you late?

 

Key was in the process of applying some ice on his sprained ankle when the sound of his phone broke the silence. He checked his phone to see who sent him the message and he broke into a smile when he saw the name flashing on the screen. 

From: Pretty Girl

No. I made it in time. How was your injury? How are you feeling? Are you at the hospital? What did the doctor say?

 

"Seriously Taemin, you really should have this checked. It's not getting any better." Key said worried about the maknae's feet which have gotten more swollen rather than better. He never stopped nagging ever since Taemin arrived home covered with bruises. Although he kept complaining he still took over the job of applying first aid in which Taemin was grateful. 

He ignored Key and started typing.

To: Pretty Girl

My doctor said my foot is not getting any better. 

 

From: Pretty Girl

Now I really feel bad

 

To: Pretty Girl

Bad enough that if I ask something you'll do it?

 

From: Pretty Girl

Bad enough that I'm willing to do anything for you.

 

To: Pretty Girl

Tell me your name

 

From: Pretty Girl

That's it? That's all you wanted?

 

To: Pretty Girl

For now

 

From: Pretty Girl

Jiyeon. My name is Jiyeon

 

To: Pretty Girl

I think 'pretty girl' sounds better

 

----------------------------------------------

Most people might think going to the past is an amazing thing. They could fix their lives, do things they weren’t able to do, and change the wrong decisions they made. But it’s not really as simple as black and white.

Because he was already experiencing his life the 2nd time, there are some things he knew which no one else does. And knowing things sometimes forces Taemin to lie.

Since new album means new hairstyle, they were told to meet their hairstylist and have their hair done.

"Eotokke?" The stylist nuna sighed for the third time and Taemin couldn't help but ask.

"Are you ok nuna? What's wrong?"

"What did you do with your hair?"

"Mianhae." Instead of answering the question he apologized instead. He was trying to avoid the question because he didn't know how to explain.

She sighed again. "Your mushroom hair fits your concept better. I was only planning to change the color but this..." She ruffled his hair in annoyance. "...this looks so good on you that I feel bad messing with it."

He gave her a smile. "Do whatever you like nuna. Any style is fine with me," he explained which didn't help solve her dilemma at all.

"Who did your hair anyway?" she asked.

Taemin had the sudden urge to tell the truth and say that she did but that would be weird given that nothing of the sort has happened yet so he decided to come up with a lie instead. "Someone from the salon," he said.

"Whoever did this, he did a really good job." Taemin smiled from the irony of it. She was technically praising herself without realizing it.

In the end she decided to leave his hair alone.

Taemin feels bad that he had to keep lying to his friends and to the people he had been working with for years. But he knew it was necessary if he didn't want them to think he was going crazy or something.

 

Sometimes knowing things could also help make their life easier. One instance was when they were about to release an album but the choreographer couldn’t make up his mind. He keeps changing the steps because he says it’s not powerful enough or something about the dance not being able to capture the essence of the song. Apparently he is a perfectionist who doesn't settle with just a ‘good enough’. It always has to be the best.

They were all exhausted and Taemin is not an exception. There is just something about choreographers and how much they love making idol’s life a hell. They have this whole idea that the more difficult a dance is the more fans they will get. But Taemin couldn’t complain because he knew that working hard is the only way for them to return the love they were given.

On the tenth time that they had to change the steps, Taemin decided he had enough. As much as he likes dancing his body has its limits too. They have a deadline to meet, an album to promote in about a month and the choreographer still couldn't make up his freaking mind. They had no idea how frustrating it was for the maknae to pretend he didn't know the steps when he already memorized every detail in his mind even the parts belonging to the other members.

Taemin saw how his hyungs collapsed in the corner after the choreographer announced a short break. Jinki was on the other side of the room, lying on the floor with his eyes closed probably dreaming about eating chicken when he gets home. Minho was sitting on the bench while drinking water. Key and Jonghyun were playing rock paper and scissors and the winner hits the loser on the forehead.

Taemin sat at the corner of the room and watched the things unfold. He knew a way to make things easier for everyone but he didn't want to do it. Yes, he’s a good dancer, maybe better than most people but he had never choreographed anything in his whole life and his friends knew it. If he acted like one heck of a choreographer right now who knows what they would think?

They’ll think you’re awesome, his mind argued.

Besides he will be doing them a huge favour. He's not going to let them die from exhaustion. He had to do something.

He stood up and filled the room with music. Then he danced. His body moved to the beat recalling every step. As if he wasn't injured just a week ago, as if the steps were implanted in his brain. Everyone looked at him in awe. The choreographer was speechless because that was the exact steps he wanted but couldn't seem to formulate.

Taemin just choreographed an amazing dance.

And so they finished earlier. They went home and collapsed on their own beds. No one even thought of having dinner (even Onew who was dreaming about chicken earlier).

 

Taemin thinks maybe it really is a good thing to live his life the 2nd time. Because he knows what’s going to happen even before it happens.

He knew Minho is going to win a brand new car in a variety show so on the day Minho joined Dream Team, Taemin made a bet that if he won he will let Taemin use the car whenever wherever. And Minho agreed because although he always does his best in everything and he wins most of the time because of it, Dream Team is Dream Team and he didn’t have much confidence.

He knew Jinki being the clumsy dubu that he is will fall on the stairs and lose his teeth so he always reminds the clumsy leader to be careful in going down the stairs.

He knew Jonghyun will be on a car accident and break his nose so Taemin always tells him not to drive too fast especially when he’s sleepy.

He also knew Key would nag them for a month because he regretted not buying the coat he saw in London after they went on vacation so before Taemin left for Switzerland he told Key who was about to board the plane, to always follow his heart and buy whatever he wanted no matter how expensive it is.

But although Taemin knows, everything still happened exactly like before.

Minho won a Sedan and lose the bet he had with Taemin.

Jinki still fell down the stairs. Either he was just really clumsy or he just ignored Taemin’s warning.

Jonghyun got into an accident and everyone were so worried that the lead vocalist might never go back to being SHINee except Taemin of course who knew his hyung would recover soon.

And Key didn’t buy the coat because he said it was too expensive.

“Tell me honestly, are you some kind of voodoo or something?” Jonghyun asked him once. It was after his accident and he was lying on the hospital bed feeling bored because the doctors said he couldn’t leave the hospital for another week.

Sometimes it amazes Taemin how his hyung’s mind work. “What do you mean?”

“Maybe you’re a fortune teller?”

“I’m neither a voodoo nor a fortune teller.”

“Maybe~”

“No, hyung. I’m not what you’re thinking.”

“Then how did you know I’ll be on an accident and that Jinki would fall down the stairs?”

“Coincidence.”

“Is Minho winning a sedan a coincidence too?”

“Probably.”

“Taemin, can you predict when will be the end of the world?”

“Hyung!”

 

And so Taemin was really worried because although he knew, he still couldn’t do anything to change things. He couldn’t prevent the accidents from happening and he was worried because the same things might happen with Jiyeon too. And he couldn’t have that.

Still, Taemin lived his life like nothing is wrong. As long as his and Jiyeon’s life never cross then everything will still be according to plan.

His plan was perfect, really.

1.) Avoid her. Make sure they never meet again. Live his own life while she lives hers. (He was still convinced that she died because of him so if there is no Taemin in her life she will live.)

2.) If in case Step 1 didn't work (the boy said it will happen no matter how hard he tried to change things), on the day that she was supposed to die he would then have to stalk her 24/7 and then save her if he had too.

It sounds easy but apparently it wasn't. And he had his bad memory to blame for it.

Jiyeon was at the cafe where Key decided to have lunch. He didn't notice her immediately and if he did then he wouldn't have went inside. But it was already too late when he noticed. Of all places why did Key have to choose that cafe to have lunch? And how in the world could he have forgotten something as important as her workplace?

There she was looking so pretty and staring back at him with surprise written all over her face.

The first step in his perfect plan now ruined.