Third

Regrets

"Move out of the way!" someone shouted.

Taemin turned to see the source of the sound and he saw a girl riding a bicycle coming through his way. She seemed to be in a panic and taemin realized there could only be two explanations for it. One, she was too stupid to ride a bicycle without any idea how to drive it or two, she had her brakes broken. He realized it could be the latter.

The road was steep and riding a bike without brakes could be really dangerous. He looked around and saw a tree not far behind where he stood. If she continued the path she was taking she would probably crash to the tree and end up with a couple of broken bones.

After realizing her fate he decided not to move out of the way.

Just as he anticipated, the bicycle crashed on him and he used his body to cushion her fall. She landed on top of him, her hands on his broad chest and his arms wrapped around his small waist.

The moment she realized their position her cheeks turned a crimson red. She immediately stood up and muttered apologies. "I'm so sorry. Oh god, are you hurt? Mianhae... Jeongmal mianhae..."

"It's fine," he assured her. He tried to stand up but realized the action wasn't easy. His ankle was sprained and he couldn't move his feet.

"Oh god, you are hurt!" She exclaimed when she noticed him grimace from the pain.

She went into a kneeling position in front of him and attempted to examine his sprained ankle but without any knowledge on broken bones she helplessly couldn't do anything.

"It's fine. It's just a sprain."

"I'm so sorry..." She looked as if she was about to cry and her flustered look made him smile. He realized she has the prettiest brown eyes he had ever seen.

"I said it's fine," he said. "What about you? Are you hurt?"

She shook her head. "No, I'm perfectly fine."

"Good." He tried to stand up again and somehow he managed to do it with a little help from her. He stood up with most of his weight in one leg so he didn't have to put a lot of stress on his injured feet.

"Weren't you supposed to be going somewhere?" He said only to realize that he shouldn't have asked. Because now she's in a hurry to leave when he didn't really want her to go.

"Oh, yeah right." She checked the time and realized she was running late. "Oh no! I am so dead." 

"You should go," he told her although he doesn’t really want her to leave.

"But..." She was a little hesitant to leave. She couldn't just leave an injured man on his own specially when she was the reason he was hurt. 

"I'll be fine."

An idea came to her. "Oh I know..." She took a pen and paper and wrote her number. "Can you go to the hospital on your own?"

He chuckled. "It's just a sprain. I don't have to go to the hospital."

"But you should have it checked. It could be serious. Contact me if you need anything. I'll pay for your hospital bills. Here..." She gave him the piece of paper with her number. "I have to go.."

He took the piece of paper because that could be the only way to meet her again. And he was determined to meet her again. "Be careful. Don't ride your bicycle," he reminded her. She decided to walk and drag the bicycle just as he suggested.

"Go see the doctor!" She called out to him before she totally disappeared on the next corner.

-------------------------------------

A feeling of déjà vu overwhelmed him as he stared at the image before him. He couldn't believe his eyes. Jiyeon is right there, about to crash into him, shouting obscenities and telling him to move out of the way.

Just like the first time they met.

Although flustered and confused, Taemin knew what he had to do. He caught her just in time and cushioned her fall.

He felt the pain not long after. But he ignored the feeling and focused on the girl who was lying on top of him, too shocked to move.

His grip on her tightened and the longer they stayed locked in embrace the more convinced he was that he wasn't dreaming.

He pulled her closer to him in a tight hug. But she didn't seem to like it. 

When she was finally able to get over the shock, she used all her strength to push him and slap him across the face.

She stood up and dusted off the dirt from her clothes. She turned her head away from him to hide her embarrassed face.

He sat up because that was all he could manage to do. His injured leg prevented him from doing anything else. He stayed where he was without taking his eyes off of her for even a second.

He could feel his eyes tearing up again. He was overwhelmed with happiness, longing, and fear all at the same time. He was scared he would suddenly wake up and realized none of it was real.

She looked more composed when she turned to face him again after a while. The moment she spoke, he had to convince himself that she was actually taking to him.

"I'm sorry... I didn't mean to be rude. I was just surprised. Are you alright?" She noticed the tears falling from his eyes and her voice were filled with concern when she said, "Oh, god..."

She kneeled in front of him and searched for the places where he could be injured. It made him more uncomfortable.

"Are you in pain?" she asked, mistaking the reason of his tears to be an injury resulting from the crash.

"I-I'm fine..." he managed to say.

"Are you sure?" she asked and he just nodded because he couldn't trust his voice.

The rest happened just like the first time they met. She took out a piece of paper and a pen from her bag, wrote her number and gave it to him.

"Make sure you go to the hospital. Contact me so I can pay you back the expenses. I'm so sorry. I'm in a hurry right now and i really have to go... Will you be alright?"

He didn't want her to leave. No, he didn't want to lose her again. But he couldn't say anything. Even when she said goodbye, he still couldn't do or say anything.

She took one last glance at him before she disappeared entirely on the next corner.

She was long gone but he remained frozen on the spot. He had no idea what just happened.

"Ajusshi..." The voice of the little boy made him turn to his right where he found the boy sitting comfortably as if he was there all along. "You were much cooler the first time. Aigoo... Did you forget how to speak? Also guys should never cry. At least not in front of the girls they like. It is so not cool. Tsk tsk."

A lot of questions went through his mind. Who is the boy? Where was he all those time he was with her. How did he manage to disappear and appear again without him noticing? And most of all what did really happen?

"What was that just now?" That was all he was able to ask.

"You just went back to three years ago. This is the day when the two of you first met."