Seventeenth

Regrets

A/N: Sorry if this isn’t as interesting as you expected. T.T I did my best.

---------

Jiyeon watched as Taemin shifted on his seat struggling to get comfortable. She could tell it was not because the seat was not big enough for him or that there was no room for him to move around. She could tell it was because he was nervous. Why, she had no idea.

“Are you ok?” she asked him. He was again in disguise and it was such a shame that his face was covered with glasses. She would love to see how he looked beneath it. But it was necessary because they are currently on a public train and it would be a disaster if he gets recognized.

“Huh? Oh, yeah. I’m fine.”

He didn’t look fine and Jiyeon was worried but the moment she realized what the problem is, the worried tone turned into a teasing one. “Are you scared to meet my dad?”

“N-no. I’m just worried…”

‘You’re worried because…?”

“Because he’s your dad. I want to make a good first impression.”

“I’m sure you will.”

He wasn’t so sure about that. Boyfriends and fathers don’t usually get along well. And the last time he saw her dad, the man had been throwing him punches and calling him names. Jiyeon doesn’t know any of that of course because technically it would still be his first time meeting her dad.

He wasn’t scared of the man. It’s just that he couldn’t look him in the eyes without feeling guilty. He took away something precious from him which he couldn’t even take proper care of. And he was about to do it again for the second time.

Jiyeon moved to his side and while giving him a shy smile, took his hand with hers. Taemin knows how much she loves holding hands. Whenever he lets go she would always give him that adorable pout which never goes away until he entwines his fingers with hers again.

They’ve been on the train for almost 2 hours but it’s still a long way to go. Taemin didn’t mind as long as he could hold her hand for the rest of the ride and he could smell the sweet fragrance of her hair as she rests her head on his shoulders.

“Taemin…”

“Hmmm?”

“I’m not leaving so don’t worry, alright?” she said and Taemin realized she was trying to assure him that she’s not going anywhere. There was no need for it because Taemin knew her decision even before she received that phone call from her dad the other night telling her that he and his wife were leaving the country. He wanted Jiyeon to come but without second thoughts Jiyeon said no. He didn’t have a single doubt on what her decision would be. She chose him over her father before so of course she would choose him again now. Taemin wasn’t so sure if that is a good thing or not. Maybe she’s better off to be somewhere else instead of staying with him and then gets heartbroken in the end.

“I know.” Taemin replied before giving her shoulder a light squeeze.

 

Jiyeon’s father turned out exactly like the man he expected he would be. He knew it would be hard pleasing the man the moment they stepped inside his home and he was given a scrutinizing look from head to toe. He bowed low in greeting and Taemin hoped the man would appreciate his efforts and act of respect and hopefully stop his intimidating gaze.

On the other hand, Jiyeon’s father’s wife is a nice and accommodating woman. But Taemin couldn’t blame Jiyeon for not liking her. It was still probably painful for her to think that her father already found a replacement for his dead wife. On some of their conversations, Jiyeon always regards the woman as “my dad’s wife” and never once did she mention her as “my mom”.

“What do you do for a living?” Jiyeon’s father asked over lunch.

“I’m in entertainment business, sir.” Taemin replied. By this time he already gained most of his confidence back and he can now look the man in the eyes without feeling intimidated.

“An actor?”

“No. He’s a singer.” Jiyeon answered in his place.

“A celebrity? That could be troublesome.”

“Don’t worry dad. We’re always careful.”

The man gave them a disapproving look but didn’t say anything. Taemin knew what he was thinking. A secret relationship is not something he wanted for his daughter. If given the choice, Taemin would scream out her name to the world and tell them to off because he’s freakin’ in love with her. But that is something he could never do without expecting any sort of consequence.

 

Jiyeon’s dad’s attitude towards him didn’t improve during dinner and even afterwards when they were about to retire for the night. Taemin already gave up pleasing the man. He even did something which will surely make Jiyeon’s dad hate him so much that Taemin was certain the man will never let him inside his house ever again if he finds out. That is if he finds out.

Jiyeon was already preparing to go to bed when she heard the sound of swaying branches and a loud thud of feet landing just outside the balcony of her bedroom. Curious, she opened the door only to find Taemin dusting off the dirt on his clothes and missing some dry leaves on his hair. The image gave her the conclusion that her boyfriend climbed all the way up her bedroom through the tree. Amazed from his efforts, Jiyeon couldn't even form a greeting and just continued to gape at Taemin who was then giving her a wide grin.

“What are you doing?" she asked in a whisper. It was the initial reaction when somebody obviously sneaked into your bedroom and you didn't want him to get caught by your parents.

"I missed you." There he goes again making her heart beat like crazy. She pulled him inside afraid someone might see him and Taemin didn't waste any time. He pulled her close and gave her a kiss longer than what he originally planned. They’ve just seen each other over dinner but still… an hour is long enough.

Her complaints were left unsaid when Taemin covered with his in a slow passionate kiss. "Can I sleep over?" Taemin asked after he pulled away although his arms remained on her waist.

Eyes wide with surprise from his ridiculous suggestion she said, "Are you crazy?"

He gave her a pout and oh god, that was the last straw. Taemin is going to be the death of her. "Fine," she replied. All it takes is a pout and she was agreeing to everything he says. "But were not… w-were not doing it alright?" she added and with her cheeks forming a blush, Taemin finds it endearingly cute.

“Doing what?" He feigned innocence just to . Without asking for permission, he lay on her bed looking comfortable and owning it as if it was his and Jiyeon couldn’t do anything but sigh in defeat.

“Y-you know what I mean…” she replied in frustration. Why does Taemin have to always make it hard for her?

“But sleeping together and not doing it doesn't make any sense don't you think?" He was pouting again.

"Stop it." she said throwing a pillow right at his face so it would cover the pout he was making. His chuckle was muffled by the pillow and Jiyeon bit her lip to hide her smile.

Taemin was too tall for her bed. His head was already touching the headboard and his feet were dangling at the edge of the bed. It was not surprising since her bed was made to fit a 10 year old girl. She had been using it until she turned 15 years old and decided to be independent. Her dad decided not to change anything in her room and just keep it the way it was when she left.

“Go back to your room, Taemin,” she told him ignoring the fact that she already agreed to his idea of sharing the room moments ago. Instead of complying, Taemin tapped the side of the bed motioning for her to lie down beside him. She rolled her eyes before positioning herself beside Taemin and letting him wrap his arms around her.

He scooted closer and made a remark that there wasn’t enough room so he had to be extra close. Not that she mind though. Taemin can be really cute when he’s clingy.

“Taemin…” she said trying to gain his attention. When Taemin hummed in response, she continued. “What's your favorite color?”

“Nothing in particular.”

Jiyeon waited for him to ask her the same question but when he didn’t she decided to tell him anyway. “I like-

“White. I know.”

“What’s your favorite music?”

“Can’t decide. I like everything…”

“Me too. Allergies?”

“None that I’m aware of…”

“I’m allergic to-“

“Peanuts. I know.” Jiyeon wonders how is it that he knows so many things about her but she knows too little about him. She asked him a few more questions after that and Taemin answered each one without asking her anything back. There was only one thing which he was curious about.

“Tell me something about your mom.”

It was a topic which she really doesn’t wanna talk about but she decided to tell him anyway “S-she died when I was 10. Plane crash. Guess that’s why I’m scared of heights. The fact that people might die in just a blink of an eye… that really scares me.”

Taemin could hear her voice shake and he felt tears streaming down from the corner of her eyes down to his chest, wetting his clothes where she lays her head. It was heartbreaking to hear her talk about something painful and Taemin almost wished he hadn’t asked. But he needed to know. It’s the only part of her that he still didn’t understand.

“I couldn’t eat anything for an entire week after she died. I couldn’t sleep either. I just cried. Unlike my dad who was rarely home because of work, my mom had always been with me while I was growing up so finding out that she’s gone… it was really painful for me. Maybe it was easy for my dad to move on but I just couldn’t do it. I still miss her sometimes.”

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have asked.”

She shook her head and replied, “It’s alright.”

In an attempt to lighten the mood, Taemin complained. “Are we really going to do this all night?” he asked referring to her questions which seem endless. “I have something else on my mind.”

Jiyeon knows exactly what that something is and she blushed. “Yes, we’re going to do this all night. I want to know you better,” she said hoping to take his mind off those lewd thoughts in his head.

“Alright.” One of Taemin’s hand was playing with the tip of her curls while his other hand was making circles on her back and sending shivers down her spine. "Ask away.”

“How is it that you know so many things about me?”

“I came from the future.” Taemin didn’t expect her to believe him and the smile on her face and her soft chuckle tells him he was right. He would never say those words if he wasn’t sure she’s not going to take him seriously.

She stifled a yawn with the back of her hand and Taemin noticed how she tried to keep her eyes open. He decided it’s about time to end their question and answer.

“Go to sleep, princess.”

“But I’m not yet slee-“ another yawn broke her sentence. “~py,” she finished. Taemin couldn’t help the smile that was playing at the corners of his mouth. “I’m a bad liar, aren’t I?” she asked and Taemin responded by giving her a kiss.

While Jiyeon finally let herself fall into a deep sleep comforted by the idea of Taemin staying by her side all night, Taemin on the other hand couldn’t make himself fall asleep. His mind was still trying to process the information he was given.

Jiyeon still couldn’t get over her mother’s death.

And two years from now, she has to go through the same process again. Oh god help him, because he knew he couldn’t live another day knowing he would cause her that kind of pain someday. He really should stop being selfish.

As he stares at the sleeping girl in his arms, Taemin was already starting to hate himself for what he was about to do.

-------

A/N: Excuse me while I fangirl over SHINee’s new album. I can’t wait for Monday. XD