Fourth

Regrets

"You mean I'm going to relive the past 3 years of my life?" 

"Uh huh," the boy nodded.

Taemin realized he must have died. Either that or he just went crazy. Maybe Jiyeon dying was just a very awful nightmare and maybe a very long one because it lasted for weeks. Maybe he just woken up and that this- whatever this is- is the reality.

Nothing makes sense to him anymore. The little kid was just explaining to him that he just went back to 3 years ago when Jiyeon was still very much alive. He saw it. He saw her with his very own eyes, heard her talk to him with her voice which was still the same. And yet, he still find it hard to believe.

"H-how? I-I mean- Why?" Questions came rushing through his mind one after another.

"You said you wanted to see her." The boy shrugged. "I just made it happen."

"Why?"

"Can you not- like- ask me questions? I just made your wish come true. The least you could do is be thankful."

That's the point. He was not really sure if he wanted this. He felt cheated. This isn't exactly what he was wishing for.

Yes he was grateful and yes he wanted to see her again because god knows how much he misses her to the point that he almost wished he never wakes up to another day of his pathetic life anymore. But he was scared-no terrified. He was terrified that everything will happen exactly like before. If this is 3 years ago and if what the boy said is true, then he would probably break her heart again. He's scared because that is the last thing he wanted right now.

Taemin thought for a second. He stared at the piece of paper lying in the palm of his hand. Everything started with that little piece of paper.

His first words to her were followed by a few more until they could no longer be contented with just exchanging messages every day. They decided to meet for the second time and another few times after that until finally they fell in love.

Taemin made a decision. It wasn't a good one but he was convinced it was the right one.

For the first time in his life he decided to do something really selfless. He crumpled the piece of paper and threw it away.

If there will be no reason for them to meet again then there will also be no reason for her to die. This time he's going to save her. He will never let her die again because he didn't think he could endure a second time.

He walked towards the taxi stand. Every step he took made him wince in pain. His injured feet is killing him and he finds walking to be difficult.

Meanwhile, the little boy is still following him around. The frown on the boy’s face tells him he didn't like Taemin walking out on him. "Why did you throw her number away?"

He ignored him. He is in no mood to explain to him his reasons for doing it. 

"Don't you want to see her again?"

He kept walking and he realized he was starting to like the pain. The sensation was like a drug- addicting and Taemin needed more of it. Because maybe-just maybe, if all the pain in his body combines, it will somehow numb the pain in his heart. But then he realized no pain would be more excruciating than the pain in his heart.

"Ajusshi..." Why won't the boy just leave him alone?

He stopped on his tracks and faced the little boy who was sticking with him like magnet. "What are the rules?" He asked because somehow he had the feeling this isn't everything. It was just too good to be true. There should still be some things he had to know before he started making decisions.

"Glad you asked. There are two actually." He stopped for a while to sit on the nearest bench he could see. Taemin followed him and sat as well, a bit disappointed that the pain eased a little. "First, not all people can see me. People only sees me if I let them see me."

That makes perfect sense. He looked around and saw some people looking at him in a weird kind of way. At least now he knows the reason why.

"What else?"

"Second, you can't mess with fate. If you do there will be consequences."

He's not scared of the consequences. He doesn't even care what happens to him. As long as he could save her he's fine with anything. 

As if he could read his mind the boy said, "Even if you try saving her nothing will come out of it. You can't stop it from happening."

"I wouldn't know unless I try." He replied stubbornly then he stood up and kept walking leaving the boy behind.

"Aren't you scared of the consequences?" the boy said trying to walk faster so he could match Taemin's long strides. His injury was preventing him from walking at a normal phase so the boy was able to keep up easily.

"No. There is nothing scarier than having to watch her die the second time."

"Aren't you even going to ask what the consequences are?"

"No. I have the feeling you won't tell me anyway."

The little boy sighed in frustration. "I didn't bring you back here so you can change the future. I brought you back here so you can spend more time with her."

He ignored him completely not only because he doesn't want people to think he's going crazy but also because everything the boy says annoys him.

A few minutes later silence followed and when he turned to look the boy was already gone.

When he reached the taxi stand it didn't take a while before a cab arrived. He decided he needed a proper treatment and not to rely solely on Key's sloppy first aid and nagging. And so he told the driver to take him to the nearest hospital.

After undergoing X-ray and other procedures the doctor told him he should be fine in a week's time.

He was on his way home when he remembered they were still living in a different dorm. He told the cab driver the address that he remembered hoping it was the right place.

When he reached the front door, he was a little hesitant to knock. If his memory serves him right he was at the right place. But if he was wrong he could be knocking in someone else's house. That would be really embarrassing.

He mustered up his courage and knocked. A few minutes later, an annoyed Minho opened the door. He still had a long wavy hair and he isn't as tall as he is supposed to be.

"Yah! The door is open you could have just walked right- woah!" He cut his statement short when he noticed Taemin. "What happened to your hair?"

"Wae? Wae?" Everyone gathered around the front door to take a peak.

Taemin suddenly realized the reason they were making a fuss. Gone was the mushroom hair and he probably looked taller by inches. He might have looked different in their eyes.

"Yah! What happened to you? And what's with the crutches?" That nagging again.

For the first time in weeks he broke into a real smile. That's right, this is how his life should be. He wasn't going to be part of Jiyeon's life and she's not going to be part of his.