Twenty Fifth

Regrets

A/N: *too lazy to edit*

 

Taemin didn't sleep that night. There are much more important things than sleeping when you only have a day to live. Besides he didn't want to miss a single thing on that night and the thought that it could probably be his last makes him edgy and sleeping was just impossible. He spent his hours staring at her face, memorizing every detail, every curve, the slightly parted lips, the soft sound she makes, and everything single thing about her. He let himself drown at the sight of his pretty angel sleeping right next to him.

Sometimes he couldn't help brushing his lips on top of her slightly parted ones. She would stir in her sleep but she never wakes up which is fine with him because watching Jiyeon sleep is just one of the many things he will most definitely miss.

It was already 6 in the morning when she woke up, a little early than the usual 8am. Her eyes fluttered open, a slow lazy smile formed on her lips and Taemin couldn't help but kiss those sweet plump lips once more.

They made love that morning again and again because Taemin just couldn't make himself let her go.

Then he made her breakfast afterwards because he wanted to cook something for her for the last time. There was a pain in his chest that squeezes the hell out of him at the thought that everything is becoming their last.

He walked her to the door just before she went to work. He was glad that she didn't find his actions strange. He still couldn't tell her the truth because he was too scared to see the look on her face once she finds out. Maybe he was being a coward but then he would rather have a memory of her smiling face etched in his mind for all eternity than see her broken and miserable.

"Are you happy Jiyeon-ah?" he cupped her face with the palm of his hands. Taemin loves the soft feel of her skin beneath his touch.

"Of course I am, idiot," she replied with a playful punch on his shoulder.

Taemin smiled at that. There are so many things he's going to miss even the little things such as saying goodbyes in the morning before they go to work. He wondered if they would let him keep his memories when he dies. He was desperately hoping they would because he didn't want to forget these wonderful moments they shared together.

"I love you so much" he said the words knowing it would be the last time.

Jiyeon said 'I love you too' back and for Taemin it was enough.

"Are you going to pick me up tonight?"

He nodded but Taemin knew it was a lie because he had the feeling he wouldn't live long enough to pick her up.

 

 

When Jiyeon left, he took a shower and went to meet his hyungs for an interview. There is so much to do and Taemin wondered if that was how he wanted to live the remaining hours of his life. He decided that no - it's definitely not. So he grabbed his bag and headed to the door and that was when Jinki caught him and he was forced to tell the leader the truth.

"Where are you going Taemin? The interview is in 15 mins."

"Sorry, hyung. I-I don't have much time." There were so many things he wanted to tell his friend but Taemin feels he couldn't –not  when he's running out of time and maybe it’s better this way because Taemin is not the type to be sentimental and besides, from the way Jinki looks at him, Taemin figures he didn't have to say anything.

Jinki looked at him with those knowing eyes and Taemin wonders how his hyung always seems to know everything. "Sorry, hyung,” Taemin apologized not just for ditching the interview but for all the other things he did in the past which caused more trouble for his hyungs than they could handle. “I promise this will be the last time I'll be a jerk so... "

“It’s all right Taemin. Besides when did I ever complain?”

“Thanks hyung… for everything” Taemin didn’t want to say the words but then he realized Jinki might still need to hear them so he said, “Goodbye I guess...”

Jinki didn't say anything and Taemin swears he saw tears spilling out the leader's eyes. He didn't stay long to confirm though because Taemin hates saying goodbye so he left before it gets too awkward for the both of them.

 

Taemin found himself at the cafe with Jiyeon beaming wide at him for the unexpected visit. He could tell she was puzzled when she noticed he was not wearing a disguise. But Taemin just didn't give a damn about how he looked or the fact that people keep staring at him. Jiyeon seemed not to be bothered of being stared at either so he let himself relax.

"I missed you," he said and jiyeon laughed sofly. taemin felt giddy and he would love to hear her laugh every single day. now he suddenly wishes he had another day or two to live.

"we've been together 2 hours ago." she said.

"i know. but i already miss you." he whined. "can you get the day off?"

"now?" she asked puzzled even more.

he nodded. "please?"

taemin wonders if it was the pout that  made it possible but he was glad jiyeon agreed.

 

it was a beautiful day, the sun is shining bright, jiyeon is smiling, everything is perfect and taemin wanted to keep it that way.

they walked the streets of seoul holding hands without a care in the world and obviously having the best day of their lives. of course they were interrupted by people who recognized Taemin but he politely declined when they asked if they could take a picture with him.

For once Taemin wanted to experience how it feels like to go on dates without worrying about what people would think. He wanted to hold her hand, wrap his arms around her shoulders and (if Taemin could be more courageous) maybe kiss in public. Maybe it was the thought that he was about to die that made Taemin braver than he usually is. He decided it was probably a good idea to try.

So he brushed his lips on top of hers for a chaste kiss and the action was unexpected so jiyeon's eyes went wide with surprise because taemin never displayed his affection in public before. her cheeks blushed a deep shade and taemin thinks its adorable.

 

he took her to a restaurant that serves french dishes because jiyeon deserves nothing less. It was then when taemin realized there are some things which will never change. like how his heart beats erratically as he stood in front of Jiyeon holding a silver ring or how her eyes glisten with tears as he slips the ring through her fingers. they were tears of joy taemin figures and his heart beats more frantically, hands shaking and his rehearsed speech forgotten.

even though he'd already done it twice, nothing has changed. the happiness he feels makes him light headed.

"i love you Jiyeon-ah. Will you be my girl?" Taemin didn’t have to ask because they were practically dating but he needed to say the words, to see the look on her face, to feel the happiness of hearing ‘yes’, to experience everything for the second time before it’s too late. Because Jiyeon deserves all the good things she never get to experience before and because Taemin needed these memories to keep him sane despite the chaos his impending death brings in his mind.

Jiyeon nodded because she couldn't trust her voice. Besides there are moments when no words are needed. Taemin knew the answer even without the words being spoken out loud. the look on her face tells him everything he needed to know.

 

they were already outside when jiyeon suddenly remembered that she left her purse at the restaurant. taemin volunteered to come back and get it for her but she insisted to get it herself and told taemin to wait for her outside.

taemin decided to do as she said. he waited while watching the people pass by doing their own business. he could feel his phone vibrating in his pockets but he decided to ignore it just like what he has been doing since he left the studio that morning. he didn't have to check to know that they are from his hyungs if not their manager. taemin couldn't care less. taemin hates saying goodbye so he might as well just disappear without a  word. he prefers it that way.

after a while he saw a lady passing by with her daughter (taemin assumes) in tow. the little girl was staring at him in an adorable kind of way that makes taemin feel warm inside. thoughts about having a family and raising a child occurs to him for a moment before he shoved the idea at the back of his head before it consumes him. some things are never meant to happen. specially not when he doesn't have much time.

"mommy... mommy isn't he a celebrity?" taemin heard the little girl ask the lady.

the lady stared at him for a good minute before lowering her head in a curt bow. taemin did the same while giving the lady a polite smile.

"common honey, lets not bother the guy."

"but mom," the little girl whined still eyeing him with curiosity.

taemin watched as they cross the street and the little girl was twisting her head to get a better view of him.

the lady stopped walking momentarily distracted by a homeless person on the street. she was fishing her pockets for coins when her daughter decided to cross the street back to where taemin was.

in her haste, she didn't notice the speeding car until it was already too late. taemin didn't think twice before he ran- pushing the little girl out of the way. taemin almost thought he wont make it but moments later he heard the sound of a crying girl in the distance and a voice of the lady screaming, "Jesus Christ! my child! are you hurt?" which tells taemin that he did make it. The relief from learning that the little girl was safe didn’t last long though.

Because it was when he tried to move but couldn’t, and when he finally felt the pain that he realized he's dying. in the middle of a busy street and with jiyeon's tear-streak face staring at the distance.

 

 

"somebody help!" he heard somebody say but the ringing in his ears and the pounding of his head makes it impossible for him to focus.

he never expected he would be hit by a car. oh well life is indeed full of surprises. he must have made an awful sight with his blood spilling the pavement floor. unfortunately he couldn't do anything about it because he couldn't damn well move. pain shot through his entire body with every attempt of movement.

He didn't know what made him run towards the little girl who was about to get hit by a speeding car. there was just a sudden thought in his head that someone needed help and so he ran- ran towards his death. it was only moments later when he was already on the ground, bloody and in pain that the realization that he's actually dying sinks in.

from the corner of his eye he saw jiyeon, tears running down her face, and hands on probably to stifle her cries. the image broke his heart. he saw her ran towards him and taemin wanted to scream and tell her that its alright- that everything is going to be fine, that she doesn't have to worry. but the words were caught in his throat and he couldn't find his voice.

With shaking hands she took her phone and dialled 911. panicking, it took her a while to get the buttons right. the tears in her eyes were blinding that she couldn't see clearly.

taemin closed his eyes trying to steady the pounding in his head. as he lies there slowly dying and staring at the eyes of the girl who means the world to him, taemin let himself shed a few tears, something he never allowed himself to do if he can help it.

but at that particular point in time while he was at the verge of losing his life, taemin couldn't stop the tears from falling out of his eyes. there are indeed moments in your life that you'd find yourself breaking down

the hot liquid trickle down his cheeks  causing his vision to blur. jiyeon was on her knees, right next to him, tears were falling down her pretty face as well and taemin wanted nothing but to wipe those tears away. but he couldn't. Even something as simple as moving his fingers feel as if he lifted a whole sack of rice.

jiyeon was crying hard now and taemin wanted to wrap his arms around her and tell her that everythings going to be alright. but he couldn't because his eyelids are getting heavy and the pounding of his head became too much. he closed his eyes hoping that if he concentrated hard enough, the burning in his chest and the pounding of his head would all go away. But Taemin knew it was pointless. He’s dying and there is nothing he can do about it.

yoogeun, he thought

yes? he heard a reply in his head and taemin knew yoogeun could hear even if no words were spoken.

Taemin realized at that moment that when you still have a whole life to live there could be so many things you would want to wish for. but when you have nothing but a certain death in front of you, the choices aren’t that many. but taemin didn't mind because he already made up his mind.

i'm ready to make a wish