Twenty Third

Regrets

Love is a complicated thing. It is love when you wake up in the morning and find your special someone staring at you as you sleep and wishing you woke up earlier than he did so you can do the same. It is definitely love when your heart flips in your chest because you see him smile at you and you find yourself smiling back because it was suddenly a good day even if the rain was pouring hard outside. It is certainly and without a doubt love when you feel your heart explode when he leans down and softly brushes his lips on top of yours.

That’s exactly what Jiyeon was thinking as Taemin gave her an early morning kiss. She already stopped thinking about the whys. Why Taemin lied to her, why he pushed her away and why was he so desperate to make her fall out of love for him. Sometimes it’s enough that you know it is love.

“Stop staring please…” she said softly as her cheeks starts to tint with red. Taemin has the habit of always staring and she finds it unnerving though pleasant. It worries her that he might find her flaws and stopped loving her because of it. She had so much insecurity because after all she was just an ordinary girl.

“I can’t help it.” He said. Her cheeks turned a deeper shade and she gave up trying to hide herself from his scrutinizing gaze. “Jiyeon-ah…” Taemin said which forced Jiyeon to meet his gaze

“Hmmm?”

“Live with me.”

 

Taemin didn’t have to ask twice. It was something they both have always wanted. And given the amount of time they have left, the decision came suddenly. None of their friends objected (Taemin guesses that even if he suddenly announces that he wanted to live in the middle of the Antarctic they wouldn’t object) He realized it’s probably one of the perks of having your friends know that you’re dying. You can ask them anything and they will always let you have your way.

Taemin and Jiyeon rented a place near the café where Jiyeon used to work before moving to America. She decided she misses the place and she wanted to work there again just until she finishes college and she could put up her own café business. Jiyeon misses baking and Yuri was just as delighted with the idea as she was.

The first few months flew by so fast that everything seemed like a blur for Jiyeon. Things were going perfectly for the both of them that Jiyeon was able to push the nagging feeling of dread at the back of her mind. She didn’t want to think about the day when Taemin finally leaves because it was too scary and Jiyeon didn’t want those thoughts to ruin her last few moments with Taemin.

But there were times when those fears manifest in the form of nightmares that wake her up in the middle of the night crying and shivering in fear. It would take a few caresses and soothing words from Taemin to calm her down. Jiyeon would only stop crying once she realizes that Taemin was still there with her and that he hadn’t left.

Jiyeon wanted to convince herself that she was okay with everything- of being happy for a while than missing her chance and not being happy at all. But then she realized she was becoming more and more selfish everyday. The more time she spends with Taemin and the more happiness she felt, the more she wishes for that happiness to last. But she didn’t dare tell Taemin that because she didn’t want to be a burden. So she endured it even if she was slowly dying of frustrations, worries and fears deep inside.

But there is only so much she could endure. Taemin didn’t tell her when exactly he’s leaving and sometimes she thinks that maybe it’s better that she doesn’t know. But the worry is already too much to handle lately with the six months being almost up and she needed some kind of assurance at the least.

“You’d tell me when it’s time right?” she asked Taemin once, more desperate than she let on.

Taemin pulled her close in a tight hug letting her feel all the love she rightfully deserves and much more melting all her worries and fears in an instant and making Jiyeon realize how lucky she is having a Lee Taemin in her life even if it will be just for a while.

“I will,” he told her softly and Jiyeon trusted him and his words so the nagging feeling of dread was gone again leaving her blissful and very much in love.

 

But Jiyeon later found out that Taemin was indeed a big liar. That day Jiyeon woke up in bed with Taemin staring at her as usual. When he has schedules in the morning and needs to leave early, Taemin usually wakes her up before leaving (because Jiyeon hates waking up alone). But that day, she found him still in bed with messy bed hair and a boyish grin so Jiyeon figures he had his morning (if not the entire day) off.

She’s already used to Taemin staring at her by then so she gave him a smile which earned her a morning kiss from her boyfriend just like how she wanted to start every single day of her life.

“No work?” she asked.

“Later.”

“I’ll make breakfast,” she announced before sitting up only to find arms wrapped around her waist and pulling her back to lying position.

“Later.” Then Taemin’s lips were back on hers and even if Taemin was obviously more clingy than usual, she couldn’t think straight with Taemin kissing her hungrily and passionately so she never thought of it as anything strange. They made love that morning for hours until Jiyeon complained that she was very much late for work and Taemin unwillingly had to let her go.

Jiyeon took a quick shower while Taemin volunteered to make breakfast. Jiyeon as anyone would expect is a better cook than Taemin but the idol also cooks once in a while, especially when Jiyeon feels lazy to do anything. There are days when she sometimes wants to feel like a princess and Taemin is more than happy to indulge her.

Taemin fried some bacon and eggs and made some toast bread, simple but appetizing enough for Jiyeon to realize she was starving. They both ate with Jiyeon mostly telling Taemin about work the previous day, about Yuri and her new boyfriend she met not long ago, and the café she was planning to put up after college once she saves up enough money. Taemin only listened- he’s a good listener, Jiyeon figured out a long time ago. She told him a lot of things but there were also things left unsaid like how she would love it if she could share her future with him. But Jiyeon knew that Taemin knew so there was really no need to say the words.

After breakfast, she said her goodbye and Taemin walked her to the door, still clutching her hand in a tight grip.

“Are you happy Jiyeon-ah?” Taemin asked her so suddenly that it caught her off guard. She looked at Taemin and she could see love in those dark orbs.

She gave him a genuine smile and said, “Of course I am, idiot.” She gave him a playful punch on the shoulder. Taemin caught her hand and pulled it up to his lips, brushing a soft kiss on her skin. Jiyeon’s cheeks heated up from the kiss and she suddenly didn’t want to go anywhere anymore. Staying in bed the entire day sounds like a good idea. But she couldn’t just ditch work so they could make love all day. Yuri is going to kill her.

“I love you so much,” Taemin said while staring straight into her eyes as if he wanted to tell her so much more but those three words already summarized everything.

“I love you too,” she replied and Taemin smiled at that before giving her a kiss on the lips which she found sweeter than anything he gave her before and lingered longer than she expected.

“Are you going to pick me up tonight?” she asked loving her boyfriend’s touch, his kiss, his smile, his still messy hair, his everything.

Taemin nodded in response and Jiyeon would later find out that it was again a lie. Taemin didn’t pick her up that night. He couldn’t. And Taemin knew it even before he kissed her goodbye and before she walked out of the door. He knew that it would be the last time and yet he never said anything. Never told her that it was the day he is supposed to leave- the day he is supposed to die.

So without knowing anything, Jiyeon left with a blissful heart.

----------

A/N: I know… I know… It’s been ages… I missed you guys! It’s just that I had trouble thinking about the best ending. I’m still having a hard time right now actually. I wanted a longer update but it’s just not possible. Hope this will do for now.

Anyway, yeah this story is about to come to an end. Still not sure how to end it though. Hoping you could help me with that. I’m doing a survey. Please comment your response.

How would you like this story to end?

  1. Taemin dies
  2. Jiyeon dies
  3. They both die
  4. No one dies

I have a feeling all of you would choose the last one but whatever. Anyway, I just wanted to know what you think. (It doesn’t mean I’ll follow what the majority says) Don’t hate me though. *hugs and kisses* XD