Twenty Sixth

Regrets

A/N: This is the 2nd to the last chapter (I think) :D

 

Being a reaper, Yoogeun was able to meet different kinds of people. Some of them Yoogeun couldn’t care less whether they live or die because he thinks the world would be a better place without them in it. But sometimes there are people too who, Yoogeun thinks, deserve to live longer than they were supposed to and for Yoogeun it's painful every time he had to take their souls.

And today is no different.

He watched as everything unfolds. He couldn't do anything because it was against the rules. He never knew he would feel anything for that stupid guy dying in the middle of the street. But he did. Maybe it was because he spent a considerable amount of time talking to the guy before the accident.

Yoogeun knew of course. He knew exactly when and how he will die. But knowing doesn’t make things easier. He had this sudden urge to help the guy and not let him die. But of course that was against the rules. Because reapers are supposed to take people's souls, not help them live (not that Yoogeun is a follower of rules because he already broken a few. But even so this isn't something he can mess with). So Yoogeun only watched and it breaks his heart to see the guy slowly dying as the love of his life watches on the side.

One wish – he only have one wish and the guy was too crazy to waste his one wish on something so stupid.

He could have wished for a lot of things. Maybe for the world to remember his name decades after his death, or for SHINee to win more awards in the future (or even world peace Yoogeun didn't really mind) but no- the guy had to wish for that.

We both know this is the best option I have, he insisted. I knew you wanted me to do something when you took me back. You wanted me to change things didn’t you?

He was halfway between living and dying. His body is breathing but his soul was drifting somewhere near it. He could only watch as his girlfriend clutch his bloodstained shirt and wept near his body while a few onlookers surround them. Yoogeun was standing next to him, both of them unseen by humans’ eyes.

Yes, but not to this extent. I only wanted you to make her happy and not be an that you were once used to be.

Do you think she’s happier now? Taemin asked.

Yes, I think she is. I mean not right now because you’re dying and all but I think she is. She will be. Yoogeun replied.

It made Taemin smile. He wasn’t a failure after all. It’s not about being happy because he was far from it. But then again it’s not about his happiness but hers.

You know what ? he asked.

What?

That people dies at different points in time. Some has to leave others behind. It's lonely, you know.

Yoogeun have no idea what he meant. He had never seen the world as how humans see it. He had always been wondering how it feels like being mortal, having friends, and falling in love. Despite living for so many years he never stopped wondering why living is so important and why dying is so scary.

But Yoogeun thinks that maybe he’s already starting to understand a little bit because he could feel his tears well up from his eyes. He couldn’t remember the last time he shed tears. It was foreign and weird and the guy seemed to agree with him because he could swear he saw his eyes widen at the sight of his crying face.

What? he asked. You think reapers can't cry?

Taemin smiled. I was just surprised.

Yoogeun wiped his eyes with the back of his hand. You are the craziest and most stupid person I had the misfortune to meet, did you know?

I know but I’m still not changing my mind. Yoogeun can sense Taemin’s impatience. He wants his wish granted fast because he could no longer bear the image of his girlfriend weeping next to his dying body.

Yoogeun sighed. He never hated his job as much as he hates it now.

Reapers cannot extend a dying person’s lifespan. If there is one wish a reaper couldn't fulfill it will definitely be that. And Taemin knew it so he settled for some other wish (the craziest wish Yoogeun ever heard). And so the stubborn reaper wouldn’t let Taemin have his way (for obvious reasons of course).

Please, Yoogeun. His pleading voice was slowly shattering Yoogeun’s resolve until he could no longer say ‘no’.

With a deep sigh Yoogeun relented. He closed his eyes (still teary from his unexpected display of emotion earlier) and made a waving motion with his hands. He heard the guy mutter a ‘thank you’ before he disappeared and the world changed just like how Lee Taemin wished for it to be.

 

 

She walks home alone deep in thought. She was cold and tired but she was okay with it. Being alone without someone wrapping his arms around her as they walk home side by side – she’s already passed that point of wishing for that someone to come to her life. She’s used to it by now. After running away from home and living alone in the city, she doesn’t get lonely anymore – or at least she thinks she isn’t.

Her life was okay, she supposes. But just like everyone else’s, it wasn’t perfect. She lived in New York for a while with her father and his new wife. But after a year she left and went back home to Seoul. Yes, Seoul will always be her home.

But it wasn’t just her wish to be back home that made her left. She didn’t fail to notice how her father glows with happiness every time his wife would smile at him or how they love sharing kisses. Her father is happy for the first time after her mother’s death. And Jiyeon would be lying if she said she isn’t a bit jealous. But every person has their own happiness. Her father found his so maybe it’s about time that she searched for hers.

She went back to Seoul wishing she would find that happiness she had always been searching for. But things don’t always turn out the way she wishes it would be. Her life is nothing but a dull, uneventful, monotonous cycle of mornings and evenings.  Sometimes she feels like there something – or someone missing in it, like a puzzle missing a piece.

It’s the first snow of the season and she thinks the road looks pretty in white. Maybe she could build a snowman when she gets home. It was something Minho would love to do. He can be really childish sometimes.

Choi Minho is the only person who sticks around, the only person who makes her life less boring. He is perfect – too perfect in fact that she thinks her imperfections would be like a mud stain on a white shirt if she were to have a relationship with him.

He told her he loves her more than once. Minho has always been straightforward. He made it clear to her the very first time they met. She thinks he was gorgeous with a smile that lights up every dark corner of the room.

“I’d like to have a large pizza. Oh no, wait. Make that two.”

She stared at him like he just lost his mind. “Two large pizza sir?” she asked. Surely she just heard him wrong.

“Choi Minho, I know you eat a lot but two large pizza is a bit too much don’t you think?” his companion – the guy with pink hair – voiced out the exact same thing on her mind. “It’s just the two of us in case you failed to notice.”

“It isn’t just us.”

“Is someone joining us for lunch?”

“Yeah.”

“Who?”

“She is.” Minho said pointing at her. Jiyeon thinks he’s definitely lost his mind.

“Oh, you mean like a date?” Key (Jiyeon later learned his name) asked, understanding is finally dawning on him. “Why do I have the feeling you were plotting ways to kick me out?”

Minho smiled and Jiyeon thinks his smile is gorgeous just like the rest of him.

“So can you join us?” Minho asked her.

“Uhm, I’m working.”

“Maybe later then?”

“I have plans later,” she said although her plans only involve sleeping at home.

“Maybe tomorrow then?” Jiyeon had the feeling the conversation will never end unless she says ‘yes’

“Fine.”

“It’s a date,” Minho grins.

 

They weren’t together – not really. But they spend a considerable amount of time together. She told him she wasn’t ready. Her own feelings confuse her and being in a relationship with him doesn’t feel right. But Minho only put on a smile just like he always does and told her it was ok, that he’s willing to wait.

Jiyeon wishes he wouldn’t. The guilt is becoming too much to handle. Minho doesn’t deserve to be treated that way. But what can she do when there is nothing she could offer him?

 

“Hey, Jiyeon, guess what?” Minho said on the other line.

“Uhm, you tripped and fell on stage during your concert?”

“That is something Jinki hyung would do. Not me.”

She chuckled. He’s right. Minho isn’t as clumsy as Jinki. “You’re outside my house making a snowman?” she said although it wasn’t a guess because she can perfectly see Minho’s back as he clutch his phone to his ear and admire his small piece of art.

“How did you know? You weren’t supposed to know.”

“Minho, the nose is crooked. Move it a little bit to the left.”

Minho whirled around and smiled when he saw her. He met her half way and took her cold hands in his warm ones. It was comfortable but there weren’t any tingly feeling of sorts. But then she wonders if it should really feel that way. Maybe she was reading too much manga that she thinks holding hands should feel as magical as how they depicted it in those romance novels.

 

It was cold and Minho cuddled with her (because cuddling is something people usually do during cold winter nights) until she felt her eyes droop, almost falling asleep in the middle of their movie watching.

And then she felt Minho’s lips on hers, like it was something done naturally between friends. The last time she checked, that was what they are – friends. And friends aren’t supposed to do those things – at least she thinks they weren’t supposed to.

Minho pulled away almost instantly. He could feel her tense beneath his touch and he almost regrets what he did. “I-I’m sorry,” he said. “I shouldn’t have…”

Jiyeon saw the pained look on his face. Maybe it was because he was ashamed of what he just did or maybe he was disappointed about her lack of response. Or maybe it was a little bit of both. And then there was that guilt again –something that eats her from inside.

“I’m sorry, Minho. I-I can’t.” There were unspoken words but she knew Minho understood. Just give up, Minho. Please.

“Is there really nothing I could do, Jiyeon-ah?” He was probably waiting for her to say something – anything. But there was nothing she could say that won’t hurt him so she chose to keep quiet; letting the silence say things she couldn’t say out loud.

And Minho understood. Everyone gets tired at some point in time and Minho is no exception. He left, taking everything with him including his unrequited feelings and with a promise that he won’t ask for anything anymore, anything more than what she could give.

 

A/N: I hope it isn't too confusing *^*