chapter 21

apocalypse

Sanghyun Mir's brown lock which was now in a mess with dried blood. The others weren't better. They were also stained with dried blood and dirt, their whole body ached and exhausted.

It has already half a day since the night their camp was overrun and Mir was still unconscious. GO had told them about Sanghyuk and they didn't know what to expect when Mir woke up.

The sofa creaked when Joon suddenly stood up and walked all over the abandoned bungalow. The two storey building seemed untouched. There were no habitants for sure and the doors and windows still intact. The owner probably took off to safer place once the news spread. 

The building was quite isolated from the main road and the radius was coveniently free from any walkers. They would be safe. At least for now. "Woah..." Joon exclaimed when he saw the cabinets were still full with food and the fridge still filled with drinks. Even the current here still running well.

"Hey, there's hot water." Came Seungho's happy voice from the bathroom. "I'm taking a shower first." The oldest said already humming and singing happily.

Joon went out of the kitchen chuckling at Seungho's antics. He threw each can of beer to Byunghee and Sanghyun. "This is heaven." He said cocking his brows. "I think we can crash here for few days." Joon decided and the others has no qualm with that.

Mir shot up from his sleep. He looked around the strangely wide, clean and normal living room in confusion until he felt a warm hand on his wrist. He turned slightly to see GO who was offering him a small smile.

"Where's Hyukie?" He asked. His memory was all hazy and blur as if there was a veil blocking his mind.

Byunghee shook his head and all came crashing down on Mir. The veil was lifted. He blinked. No. That wasn't a dream? Sanghyuk has gone.

"I killed him." Mir whisper as his body started to shook. His tears started to flow. His lower lip quivered. He hit his own head and kept repeating, "I killed him."

Mir looked so vulnerable that Byunghee's heart ached at the sight. The younger looked like dried fallen leaf that would crumble at a mere touch. He reached over and pulled Mir into a tight embrace. Mir's voice and sobbing were muffled in his chest. "No, you didn't." Byunghe hushed the boy and Mir's brown lock lovingly.

"I killed him. He told me to. Why?" Mir pulled away a bit, looking at Byunghee with a pair of big puppy eyes. "I don't want him to die." Mir said sounding like a small child. But it wasn't for long when Mir's delicate features contorted into madness and anger. "I killed him and I'm the one who should have died!" He seethed as he pulled his pocket knife to hurt himself.

Fortunately Byunghee was fast. He grabbed both Mir's wrist and pinned the boy on the couch as he threw away the blade. "Mir! Sanghyuk wouldn't want you to die."

Mir glared at Byunghee who was hovering over him and growled but then he cowered again as he cried a silent tears. "But I killed him." Mir's demeanor was back to of a child.

Byunghee sighed and let Mir go. He sat up and leaned his back on the couch. Mir was clearly traumatized. The boy wasn't in a right mind for now. He exchaged worried look with the others who reflected his expression. Suddenly he locked eyes with Joon who seemed like he wanted to reach for Mir but didn't dare to. 

Mir slowly his side and curled up into a ball. His hands wrapped around his knees. He stayed there crying silently until he was feeling sleepy again but Byunghee's voice and a hand on his arm halted his intention to sleep. 

"Let's get you cleaned up first." The older said. Him and the others already showered but Mir was still stained with dried blood and dirt. He saw how Mir just curled tighter around himself. Like he was trying to make himself small until he disappeared from this cruel world. He sighed. Joon handed some clean clothes at Byunghee. 

Byunghee pulled on Mir's arm and surprisingly, Mir easily uncurled and fall weakly against Byunghee. The older hooked his hands one around Mir's back and another under Mir's knees, hoisting the smaller boy into his arms.

"Where are you going?" Joon asked skeptically when Byunghee headed to the bathroom, carrying Mir in bridal style. Mir was lying still in Byunghee's arms like he was sleeping but his open eyes said otherwise. The youngest was staring with an empty eyes. Like a puppet with no soul.

"To give him a bath." Byunghee simply answered. He knew Joon understood but he couldn't help but noticed the unreadable expressions Joon wore. But, he chose to ignore it. At least for now.

Byunghee locked the bathroom door and put the clothes on the stand near the shower. He put Mir down. His heart clenched at the emptiness in Mir's wide eyes. He bit his lips so he won't break down at the sight. 

"Mireu, you need to take a shower." Byunghee started in a small voice. Mir didn't react for a while until he finally gave a small nod but didn't make any other move. "Y-you want me to help?" Byunghee asked hesitantly. But Mir shook his head and moved to corner of the shower room to remove his clothing. Byunghee sighed, turning on the water making sure it was warm and comfortable. "I'll be waiting here." Byunghee said before he pulled the curtain close and sat on the toilet seat. Under all the sound of water flowing, he somehow still able to pick up Mir's faint sob. Sound of a very heartbroken sob. The one that was filled with despair as if the heart of the owner was torn in two. And he let his own tears rolled off his cheeks.

 

 

-haha... Karen, don't panic. I'll try my best to finish off this fic. And here I am again, updating another chapter when I'm suppose to study at least one lecture note today. Gosh... I'm hopeless😅-