chapter 19

apocalypse

Mir munched on his food pretending he didn't notice the look Sanghyuk gave him and directed his eyes on the fire they lit up for this cold night.

"Hyung..." Sanghyuk whined shaking Mir's arm. Mir just hummed in response. "I thought you don't like them." Sanghyuk muttered. "But it seem like you warm up with them quite fast." Sanghyuk couldn't control his tone. He admitted he was jealous. He didn't like Mir giving any other more attention than him. He was just a kid at heart. He didn't like to share what was his. That was why he was now acting like this.

Mir Sanghyuk's short raven hair. "I never said I didn't like them. I just didn't trust them. Yet. And they are suppose to hate me too, but... I don't know why they treat me nicely so suddenly." Mir said clearly confused himself. Seriously, it was just yesterday GO was all awkward with him and he was all cold to GO but the older suddenly treated him like his close dongsaeng. That guy probably have multiple personality. "But, they had been here for three weeks already. It's quite a long time for me. I guess we can trust them."

"I hate you." Sanghyuk looked away sulkily.

Mir sighed. "Don't pout. There's nothing to be jealous at." Mir tried but Sanghyuk just walked away from him with a stubborn huff. Mir shook his head and smiled. He guessed he needed to leave the boy alone for now. They would be okay tomorrow, he hoped. 

This had happened before when Taemin just got into the group after two whole weeks Mir spent with the group. Taemin immediately picked Mir as his favourite hyung and ended up being a rival to Sanghyuk but only for a while because then Taemin started to change the direction of his affection to Key and Minho.

Mir didn't mind how possessive Sanghyuk is when it came to him. Sanghyuk felt like Mir was his since he saved Mir. It just proved how Sanghyuk was still a kid. Like a child who is unwilling to share his toy. Not that he was Sanghyuk's toy. But, yeah... You got the point.

Sound of leaves rustling caused Mir to look around. Was it wind? Or was it something else? Before Mir could decide, Joon sat next to him heavily. "Are you and Sanghyuk lover?" Joon asked bluntly.

Mir was speechless as he processed Joon's question forgetting the suspicious sound just now. "Err... No..." Mir said slowly as if he was afraid that he just misheard the question.

Joon who was looking straight ahead turned to stare at the baffled Mir. "But you guys look like one. And he even jelous with Byunghee playing around with you."

Mir scrunched his nose as he gaped in disbelief looking a bit comedic. Him and Sanghyuk? "God, no!" He whispered harshly not wanting to attract others' attention. "Yes, he's jealous but that was some sort of brother complex or something. He just a little possesive since he's just a kid."

"Then, what about you? Do you love him like that?" Joon asked stubbornly.

"Wow... This is so peculiar." Mir grumbled didn't know whether to feel amused or angry. But seeing how Joon still staring at him waiting for answer, he inhaled deeply. "No... He's my baby brother and he was the one who saved me. I owed him my life and I swore with my blood and life to protect him."

Joon blinked at the stern expression Mir put on. The boy surely didn't joke around with his words. Another voice broke off the two boys' gaze. Byunghee was standing behind Mir with his arms crossed in front of his chest. "If... And I say, if Sanghyuk is the one that love you. What would you do?" 

"I don't have to answer that because I know he doesn't love me that way." Mir simply answered. He didn't know where this was going but he didn't like the fact that even Byunghee thought there was something more between him and Sanghyuk. But mostly, he didn't like it because it was kind of horrid to imagine such things when they were practically brothers. Not to mention both are guys. (just had a feeling that I have to clear things up since the way i wrote might bring confusion & misunderstanding. What to do, I'm just very affectionate. And I'm a girl, so I don't really know how guys' friendship work. So, They might look a bit girly sometimes. Forgive me for that. This fic is ONLY BROTHERLY LOVE... I think? Now, even I'm confuse. Well, no choice then. Let's just see how it goes. You guys can decide by yourself)

Byunghee was about to open his mouth but a scream cut him. They snapped their head to the direction where Taemin was pinned by a walker. And another walker came.Just in a blink of eyes, the camp ground was surrounded by the deads. No doubt, Onew's scream that evening had gathered all the infecteds pacing around the mountain radius.

Mir jumped on his feet, eyes wildly searched for one boy. Sanghyuk! There near the RV, Sanghyuk and Key was cornered by four walkers and Mir ran as fast as he could towards the RV, grabbing a baseball bat that was conveniently lying around only to be tackled down by another walker. He fought his way to Sanghyuk but just right then, a dead bit on Sanghyuk's neck. Blood gushed out of the wound and Sanghyuk's mouth. The boy's eyes rolled to back of his head in pain. He was gurgling with crimson red fluid.

Mir stopped. His heart stopped. Everything around him even the time stopped. He couldn't move for what seemed like forever but when he gained back his senses, he went amuk and he could only see red. All the deads surrounding him were smashed by the baseball bat in his hand until his whole body was stained with blood, bits of rotten flesh, even some brain tissues. Mir didn't care. He kept hitting and swaying his bat dangerously untill he reached Sanghyuk's side. With a bloody scream, he hit the walker that had bit his brother and smashed the dead's until it left nothing but splattered flesh, brain, blood and skull.

Mir fall on his knees. He was breathing heavily. His muscles ached. But his heart ached more. It felt like there were claws that stabbed right into his heart and dragged down, shreddering the bleeding organ into pieces. And nothing could ever mend the cut. If it could even be sewed,it would still not be the same as before. It had already damaged when he lost his family but he still managed to survive even with broken heart. But the second blow left his heart into tiny pieces. He didn't know how many of those things he had killed in the moment where he lost his mind. Most probably more than thirty all by himself. But, he didn't care.

Mir slowly and carefully maneuvered Sanghyuk's head onto his lap. "Oh god... No... No... Please no." With trembling hands, Mir tried to stop the bleeding as he wept pathetically. His voice was raspy and barely above whisper. He knew, this was the end. He had lost Sanghyuk at the very moment those infected's teeth sunk into the soft flesh. 

A soft shaky hand caress Mir's cheek and swept away the fallen tears. It was Sanghyuk who was now looking into Mir's eyes with a pair of glassy orbs. The boy was gurgling with blood in his mouth before he managed to croak out a small weak, "Don't cry."

"Please... Please no..." Mir was begging to no one. He didn't know what to do. There was nothing he could do He was lost. He didn't even care of the dead that were starting to surround him.

Sanghyuk's face contorted to that of the unbearable pain. "Hyung..." He called weakly and coughed. Mir leaned forward to listened to what Sanghyuk wanted to say. "I dont... I-I don't wa-want to b-be tho-those monster." The boy hardly voiced.

Mir's wet eyes widened. His limbs felt weak and numb. As if he wasn't in the real world. The feeling of hanging in between reality and dream. He felt like he was trapped in the tunnel. All the sounds, the sight felt distant. He was concious but it felt like he wasn't. Sanghyuk was asking Mir to kill him. "No..." Mir whispered. His tears flowed like rivers.

"Please..." Sanghyuk pleaded. He knew he had no chance to live and he didn't want to turn into one of those things that had killed his family. Sanghyuk closed his eyes. He was too tired. Too tired...

Mir swallowed the lump in his throat and reached for the gun in the holster around his waist. The sound the cocked gun caused a faint smile appeared on Sanghyuk's bloody lips for the boy now knew Mir would granted what he wanted. Mir leaned forward, gun still pointed at Sanghyuk's temple. He kissed Sanghyuk's forehead and whisper a broken but sincere "I love you, my brother."

"Me too, hy-hyung." That was the last word Mir heard before the sound of the gun-shot drowned it. With that, Mir felt his heart sunk and shattered.

 

 

-sorry... someone just had to die for the story to move forward. Believe me, it's hard to kill Sanghyuk off since I like him most in vixx. KARENKITTY~ Do you think Joon and Byunghee sounded jealous of Sanghyuk and Mir? Hehe...😆-