Minutes to Midnight

Min's Multitales (New Chapt. Feat. BTS, V)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Minutes to Midnight
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 

The florescent warm hues of pink, yellow and orange painted the skies like a raging fire against a darkened canvas. A thin veil of fog created an ample amount of eeriness in the atmosphere as nightfall slowly approached —the tension in the air was slowly rising.

Multiple quickening steps could be heard crunching through the branches and dried up leaves that had fallen onto the forest floor. Orchestrating the chase, was a rogue werewolf with a huge bounty on his head for creating more creatures of the night than necessary. He was dangerous. A menace to society and a liability to both humans and other supernatural creatures.

But who was the one doing all the chasing? He didn't give himself enough time to find out. The moment he thought someone was following and smelled the wicked stench of suspicion in the air, he found his chance and made a run for it right out of the city limits and toward the place he had the territorial advantage. He knew the in's and out's of that forest and he'd be damned if he let himself get caught by some soldier. Especially after what he had just finished doing. Hopefully the evidence wouldn't present itself since he didn't have the time to fully conceal it.

But now entering the plains, where his field of vision was expanded, he noticed that he wasn't at all being chased down by just some washed-out soldier. No. He was being hunted by an assassin.

Now standing in the center of the clearing, dressed all in black, was the Syndicate's top soldier and bounty hunter. One he recognized all too well, more so for her notoriety than any formal meeting. He had been lucky enough not to have met her personally until then.

Her short brown hair was tousled slightly, but even so she was still in her usual immaculate appearance. She hadn't broken a sweat in her chase, and she wasn't going to. She excelled in many things, including having immense power and abilities. She wasn't like other soldiers. She was top of her class and her appearance reflected that class. 

Her long, manicured nails were freshly polished. Her large eyes were lined to perfection, emphasizing their almond shape and red irises. Her lips were stained red and her skin was as if made of the finest quality porcelain —both fair and smooth. She exuded a mysterious but deadly aura and his gaze was transfixed on her despite himself. To which he remembered, that was also part of her notoriety. Her undeniable and otherworldly beauty was hypnotic not only to those helpless humans, but supernaturals themselves.

"Grey of Sabrewolfe, correct?" She asked with an even tone. She spoke lowly despite the distance between them because she was more than aware she didn't have to raise her voice for him to hear her. As supernaturals, they had the natural advantages of significantly sharpened senses.

"Who's asking?" His voice was low, raspy and menacing.

The girl merely batted her lashes, but went ahead with her own introduction. "Minyoung of Bloodborne." She gave a small curtsey but didn't elaborate any further. He would put the pieces together on his own.

And it didn't take him long to do so as he gave an immediate nod of understanding. "So you really are an assassin of Syndicate?"

She smiled at the recognition in his tone, his voice faltering for just a split second. Even if it was so short no one else could have possibly noticed it, she did. He was aware of her reputation. He was nervous and he had every reason to be. "I take it you've heard of me?" She asked as she pulled down the hood off her long coat.

"As you heard of me."

"Except how could I not hear of you?" Her voiced was laced with something along the lines of dark mirth. "There's a large bounty on your head and I intend on collecting it."

His eyes narrowed and his voice turned into a low growl. "Over my dead body."

"That will be the case soon enough." With her red eyes blazing, Min extended her hand outwards, a bright blue-white magic circle appearing in the air beneath her palm —the glyphs glowing as they rotated clockwise. And from where the glyph appeared a glaive. "I'll be sure to make it swift."

The haggard looking man smiled darkly, the corners of his lips curling upward and widening to showcase his sharpening teeth, as the color of his flesh darkened. Min watched, unfazed, as his bones began to crack, pull apart and reform themselves to create longer limbs. His body contorted as his proportions changed. And the once thin looking man with long unkempt hair, that barely measured 5 foot 9, was now a nearly 7 foot beast shrouded in a dark thick layer of fur.

"Grey of Sabrewolfe. You are to be disposed of on several counts of supernatural exposure and the endangerment of humans and supernaturals alike. It will be an honor to die at my hands."

 

----------- ♦ ----------

 

"It will be an honor to die at my hands?" CL laughed as she immerged from the forest, approaching Min once the fight had subsided and her weapon had disappeared. "A little too into the dramatics, aren't we now?"

Min smiled over at the silver-eyed blonde who was dressed in a similar dark fashion as her, only with dark ripped jeans and an oversized black sweater. "You know me. I have a thing for the the theatrical." The best thing about being a top Soldier was that they weren't obligated to wear the mandated standard uniform. "Did you let HQ know?" She asked as started patting down her coat, making sure to brush off all the unnecessary flakes of decomposed ash that the werewolf had disintegrated into after the fight.

"They're aware." The blonde assured as she held out what appeared to be a retractable tablet made out of what seemed like the same type of magic as Min's glyphs.  She was typing on it, a recording of Min's fight playing back on the holographic screen. "You Sure did a number on that one."

"Yeah, well-" Min stopped halfway as a sudden gust of wind picked up something she hadn't before. Her nostrils flared as she continued to sniff the air.

"What is it?" CL asked, looking up from the device she had been fiddling with. Min's now dark orbs seemed distant as she cut herself off from completing whatever it was she was going to say. "What's wrong?"

Min had tipped her head up, nose pointed toward the sky as she continued to sniff the air. "I smell something."

CL raised her brow. "Something like?"

"A human but...  not exactly. He's-" Without finishing her sentence Min started walking back toward the forest where the wolf had run out from.

"He's what?" CL questioned, looking at Min with eyes wide in both shock and confusion at her friend's sudden actions. "Min?" CL quickly followed behind Min as she continued to walk deeper into the woods. She watched as the smaller girl came to a stop and trained her eyes on something CL would have never known was there. "What in the world-" Her voice trailed off when Min moved down to brush away the pieces of loose twigs and leaves that covered the human-sized figure beneath it. Min's small fingers curled around the fabric of some kind of thick blanket and then tossed it aside to reveal the actual human that someone was obviously trying to hide for whatever reason. "Wow. He's good looking." She then looked over at Min. "Is he dead?"

"Obviously not." Her eyes traced downward where she saw his chest rise and fall, matching the slowing heartbeat and the shallow barely audible breaths he took. It was faint, but due to her enhanced hearing she was able to catch what no normal human possibly could. "He's still breathing." After CL's observation, Min couldn't keep her eyes off the handsome young man's gorgeous face. No older than in his early twenties, he had a fair complexion with features that looked as though they were carved out of the finest kind of marble. His pale skin was further emphasized by his dark shaggy hair and luscious red lips which implied he was still very much alive. "Take him in."

"For being hot."

"W-what? No, C! Just..." Min sighed in exasperation, frustrated with her friend and co-worker who was only there to help send in the transcripts of the bounty, but was instead being annoying at the moment when she was being serious. "Take him in. Something's not right."

"You're the boss."

 

----------- ♦ ----------

 

It was about twenty minutes later when the boy finally awoke from his unconscious state. 

"W-where am I?" He managed with a groggy voice as his eyes fluttered open, the lethargy gripping onto him tightly as he struggled to wake up completely. Finally realizing there was someone else in the small room he couldn't seem to recognize, he asked, "Who are you?"

"Relax," Min began as she stood with her arms crossed against the metal door across from him. "You're in a government facility."

"Like prison?"

"No." She pushed off the door she was leaning against and approached him slowly. "The Syndicate."

He watched her with careful eyes, a crease forming between his brows in confusion. Her appearance was unexpected. She was what he would easily consider beautiful and the way her uniquely colored eyes pierced him had him unable to look away even as he answered, "Never heard of it."

"Then we've been doing our job right." Min grabbed one of the metal chairs and sat across from him, demurely crossing one leg over the other.

Something finally hit him and he looked around. The grayish room seem empty with only the two chairs they occupied and nothing more. "Why am I in an interrogation room?" He questioned and as he was about to make a gesture, noticed something else. "Why am I tied up?" He looked up at Min with nothing but fear and concern lacing his eyes. "Did I do something wrong?"

She shook her head simply. "Not yet."

"Not yet?" He didn't understand. Who was she? Who were the Syndicate? Where was he and why and how was he there? He had never felt so lost and confused and it was beginning to frustrate him to the point that he felt himself becoming irritable.

"I'm keeping you under close observation."

"What the hell for?" Her answer wasn't good enough! What exactly was going on?

Her narrowed eyes never left his. "Do you remember anything from earlier this evening?"

"N-no," His response shocked even him. Why couldn't he remember? "Nothing at all."

She cocked her head to the side and raised a brow, a low hum resonating from . "That's strange, don't you think?"

He looked back up at her, their eyes connecting once again. "I don't understand. Why am I here? Why don't remember what happened?"

M

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter