Dark Times (I)

Min's Multitales (New Chapt. Feat. BTS, V)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dark Times  (I)
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  "You're late... again," The tall bassist with a modelesque appearance chided upon seeing the short red-head walking into the group's practice studio — which was really Moon's garage — with her head held down, trying not to pay him any mind.

"I'm sorry," She apologized lowly as she walked in. She had already grown used to his distaste toward her and did her best not to let it affect her. "It won't happen again."

"You say that every time and yet you're always late," He reminded her flatly, already annoyed by her constant slew of excuses every time she showed up late to their practice, which was already scheduled late into the night in order to accommodate to her. All she was doing was showing how inconsiderate she truly was despite that.

"Sorry," She apologized again and then moved to the back of the garage to set her things down.

He groaned out loud, trying hard not to lose is cool.

"James, lay off a little," Moon warned carefully as he came to stand beside his friend.

"Am I the only one who's taking this seriously?" He breathed out in frustration, confused as to why it always seemed like he was the only one who cared about the band. Not to mention why it seemed like he was the only one who noticed that the girl they had chosen not too long ago to be lead vocalist, seemed like she didn't even give a damn.

"No, but just... relax, okay?" James rolled his eyes but nodded none the less before taking his position. Moon clapped his hands together to get everyone's attention. "Let's get started!"

It really wasn't too long ago since they brought in Min to be their lead vocalists, who came highly regarded by Moon — who was actually a close family friend of hers. At first, James and Sooyoon went with it willingly, trusting their close friend and leader's judgment. But now it seemed like a problem of personal involvement. He wasn't recognizing that she wasn't working.

Granted, the small petite-framed girl was incredibly talented beyond her years — her voice both husky and soulful — but that meant nothing if she had a poor attitude and lacked enthusiasm. But for whatever reason, Moon continued to allow it often assuring James that he was overreacting and that Min being a few minutes late wasn't such a big deal. 

"Moon," She called to the guitarist who made his way over to her as she held something out to him. "I wrote this..."

"Wow," He gasped softly as he read the lyrics she had penned down earlier that day. "This is amazing, Min."

There was another reason as to maybe why they kept her around. The girl was an incredible lyricist. She proved that when she wrote up her first song for them as an audition piece. Proof that she was capable to be in the band, despite being a sure thing because of her relationship with Moon. It was what James had initially found so intriguing about her. And why despite everything, he still had held out hope for her.

"How do you want us to play it?" Moon then asked as he grabbed a hold of his guitar.

"May I?" Min surprised them all when she asked for it suddenly. Moon nodded and handed it to her before she made her way to the stool in the center of the room to begin strumming minimal chords at a slow haunting melody.

 

Waking up, half past five
Blood on pillow, one bruised eye
Drunk too much, you know what I'm like
But you should've seen the other guy

This ain't the right time for you to fall in love with me
Well baby I'm just being honest
And I know my lies could not make you believe
We're running in circles that's why

In my dark time I'll be going back to the street
Promising everything I do not mean
In my dark time, baby this is all I could be
And only my mother can love me for me
In my dark time, in my dark time...

 

She drifted off in the last note and then snapped her eyes open to look up at the three men who just eyed her in fascination. She was immediately self-conscious upon noticing their eyes on her. "Something like that..." she whispered nervously, her voice trailing as she offered Moon his guitar back.

"That was beautiful, Min." He complimented with a smile as she nodded back timidly, biting down on her bottom lip.

Her lyrics, though slightly dark for a pretty teenage girl, were deep and meaningful. And it was moments like that when James could get a better sense of her passion for music, as well as allow himself to become mesmerized by her. Min was truly an enigma to him, a confusing mixture of hot and cold. Clearly she loved music. She had the natural talent and ability, but something was off. 

He just didn't know what.

 

  ----------- ♦ ----------    

The four of them attended the same high school and while James and Moon were seniors, Min and Sooyoon were juniors. The only person who had a class with Min was James and he'd often find himself stealing glances he way without her noticing. He didn't understand what he felt for the girl, but he knew the majority stemmed from how cut out she always seemed to be from the rest of the world. Even in class she would often be staring down at her notebook penning things he would imagine as being class notes. 

It was strange. Whoever would see them would think they were complete strangers when in truth they were band mates. But Min never seemed to warm up to anyone except Moon, and to be honest, that bothered James. They were band mates... she should try to be a little bit more social with everyone. And it was the little things like that that kind of made him not too fond of her. She barely made any effort to be friendly with him and Seooyoon. In fact, he swore she probably secretly hated them. But then if that was the case, why join the band at all?

During lunch he would often see her in the distance from where he sat with Moon and Sooyoon in the outside courtyard. She would be alone, eating at a table near the bushes instead of hanging out with them. Again, for whatever reason that bothered James that she would prefer to be alone than with them.

After school he would head to his job at a nearby cafe and see Min walking by. It was on the way towards her house so it was inevitable. He knew because he had been there once to drop her off with Moon and Sooyoon after one of their late-night practice sessions. And every time she passed by, she was always lost in her thoughts, listening to music through her headphones.

He couldn't deny that there was a simplistic kind of beauty about her. That much was certain upon meeting her when Moon introduced them. Her facial features were almost doll-like, with large chocolate brown eyes, chubby cheeks and pouty lips. Admittedly, he thought she was cute and that maybe it could develop into something eventually, but upon realizing that she wasn't as serious about music as he had hoped, he instead grew a kind of resentment towards her. She was wasting their time.

He knew she didn't want to be there. And to be honest, he didn't want her there either.

"She's late... again." James' aggravation was only worsening as he looked at his wrist and noticed the time on the watch, one Friday night. A practice night. 

"James-"

"It's getting old, Moon," He interjected firmly before the leader could comment. "I'm tired of having to hear the same old excuse over and over again."

"Just cut her some slack," He encouraged calmly. "We knew she could only make it to evening practices-"

"Yeah, and we already adjusted the time for her sake so that she could be here," The taller reminded with a sigh. "Need I remind you that we have a gig coming up in two weeks. We need all the practice we can get in from here to then."

"I hear you," Moon nodded, finally giving in to his friends complaints.

"Good. Now if you don't mind, I'm gonna go and take a piss in your bathroom."

"Go right ahead. Wouldn't want you doing it anywhere else."

Moon pinched the bridge of his nose, feeling the stress about to overwhelm him if James continued behaving the way he was. He just needed his friends to trust him.

"It's times like these I forget which one of you is the leader," Sooyoon finally spoke out as he placed his drumsticks down and looked at Moon from where he sat on the stool.

Moon laughed wryly. "Tell me about it. Even I'm confused," He ruffled his hair. "I just wish he could ease up on her."

"I'm kind of with James on this."

He groaned. "Not you too?"

"I kind of get where he's coming from though," He shrugged lightly but then became serious. James was right and yet Moon seemed too calm. It was unnatural. Anyone else would think he didn't care, but Sooyoon knew better. "So why aren't you annoyed? You're even more passionate about music than the two of us combined. If it were anyone else you wouldn't tolerate it. So what's the deal? What's so different with her?"

Moon hollowed his cheeks and bit the inside as he shook his head. "I can't say."

Sooyoon raised his brows. "We're keeping secrets now."

"It's not my secret to tell. Just trust

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter