THE DINNER WITH THE FRIENDS

HOME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So… what are you doing this Saturday?” Tiffany put the cup of hot honey tea down the table then sat comfortably on the couch. Taeyeon was sitting on the floor doing her paperwork.

 

“Uh, I don’t know. Nothing I guess, why?” She stopped typing then glanced at the side finding the smoke raised up from the cup, inviting her to drink it. “For me?” Taeyeon deliberately kept her eyes off of Tiffany since she was only wearing tank top and very short shorts. She had seen Tiffany’s legs many times before but that didn’t mean that she was used to that. It took a remarkable self-control to not ogling on her.

 

“Yeah, careful. It’s hot.”

 

“Thanks.” Taeyeon said shortly. She took the cup, brought it to her lips and tested the water before sipping it slowly. “Woah, this is really good.” She grinned gratefully at Tiffany.

 

“You like it?”

 

“Of course I like it.” She slurped again. Hot drink on chilly weather was just perfect.

 

“Wow, you’re actually honest this time. Not annoyingly turning around upside down just to avoid saying the truth that my creation is awesome.”

 

Taeyeon narrowed her eyes at the latter, “shut up.” She said flatly making Tiffany laugh.

 

“I thought you’re going to make some excuse! You’re running out of idea, aren’t you?” She mischievously mocked the surgeon.

 

“Whatever.” Taeyeon grumbled under her breath.

 

After she calmed her down, Tiffany pulled out some tissue to dry the tears from laughing too hard. “Eh-em,” she cleared . “In all seriousness though, you don’t have anything to do this Saturday?”

 

“Nope, don’t think so.”

 

“Well, about the meeting with your friends… we can have dinner if you want.”

 

“This Saturday, you mean?” Tiffany nodded. “I’ll ask them tomorrow then. We invite them here or you want to go to a restaurant?”

 

“What about home made cooking?”

 

“You’ll cook for them?”

 

“Yep.”

 

“Okay then.”

 

Taeyeon resumed her work while Tiffany lay on the couch, reading a fashion magazine she subscribed monthly. The TV was playing soft music. Both were enjoying their time. It was a peaceful night in the house.

 

Taeyeon yawned as she stretched making some bone cracking sound.

 

“Sleepy?” Tiffany asked without taking her eyes off magazine.

 

“Nahhoam,” she yawned again. “I still want to work a bit more.”

 

“You should sleep. You’ve been in front of the computer for hours.”

 

“Yeah I will. My head hurts.” She rubbed her forehead hoping the throbbing would go away.

 

“You want me to massage your head?” Tiffany peeked from the magazine.

 

“No, no, no it’s fine.” Taeyeon shook her head. She wasn’t keen on the idea of having Tiffany’s hand on her head. “Are you working on a case right now?” Taeyeon asked as she opened another document.

 

“Yep.”

 

“That’s your answer? Just yep?” She typed down.

 

“You want to know more?”

 

“Why would I bother to ask you if I don’t want to know more?” Taeyeon rolled her eyes

 

“I don’t know, you never ask before.”

 

“So you want to tell me or you do not want to tell me?”

 

“If you really want to know then maybe you should show some interest into it.” Tiffany got up from the couch. The movement made Taeyeon turned her head towards her. Tiffany had her back facing Taeyeon. She tied her hair into high ponytail, successfully made Taeyeon gulped by the act. Taeyeon quickly took the glass, pretending to drink the liquid when Tiffany turned towards her again. “And stop being a douche.” She added before proceed her way to her room without another word.

 

“Damn.” She muttered under her breath.

 

-----

 

Taeyeon underlined another sentence in the journal she was currently reading. She had spent in between surgeries time to read and do her proposal. She had finished one surgery and SeoHyun was preparing the next one. She got half an hour to do some of her work. She sat on the couch in the attending lounge with papers on top of her crossed leg and a bottle of infused water in her left hand.

 

"Still working on your proposal?"

 

"Yeah, a long way to go."

 

"And the chance the board will reject it?"

 

"97%."

 

Sunny laughed out loud then took a seat beside Taeyeon, chewing her muffin in the way.

 

"I'm making a breakthrough, okay? This will save lives more than you can imagine."

 

"I know which is why I’m supporting you all the way." Sunny said incoherently.

 

"Eat first, you dumb." Taeyeon mocked her.

 

"Whatever. What's that?" She nodded at the bottle she held.

 

"Hm? Oh, infused water." She answered nonchalantly.

 

"You drink infused water? Since when?"

 

"This morning.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Last night Tiffany saw this commercial on the magazine about infused water. It has been claimed over some time that this drink has many benefits since it contains antioxidant, vitamin C, magnesium, calcium, etc." She followed the way Tiffany said it. "She’s going to make me drink it like… every morning."

 

Sunny just stared at her friend. Taeyeon obeyed what Tiffany told her? Was this real?

"I got to go. Got mitral valve to repair." Taeyeon closed her laptop and gathered her things then put it in her locker.

 

"Huh? Yeah. Good luck with that."

 

"I got this with the back of my hand, Shorty."

 

"Sure you do."

 

"By the way, are you guys free this Saturday?"

 

"Guess so, why?"

 

"You're welcome to come to my house if you want to meet Tiffany. If you can’t, then I will not ask her for the second time. Your loss."

 

“We’ll make it! We will definitely make it! I’ll see you at lunch!” Sunny saluted her before Taeyeon disappeared behind the door.

 

-----

 

"Yo! Yul!" She shouted.

 

The tan doctor who was talking with the resident turned around to see her shortest friend running towards her.

 

"You’re being chased by a ghost or something?"

 

"No. Saturday.” Sunny spoke out of breath. “This Saturday we’re going to meet The Tiffany.”

 

“Really?”

 

Sunny nodded.

 

“Clear whatever schedule you have on that day. I gotta go to find Hyo.”

 

She ran again.

 

-----

 

“Hey, can I ask you something?”

 

“Sure, go ahead.” Taeyeon chewed her carrot.

 

“I shouldn’t take it personally that Hyomin acting like she hates me, right? I mean she probably feel abandoned right now cause I’ve been really busy and she doesn’t have a friend who can go to get a drink every night like we used to. And I rarely can take her call or reply her message right away. Maybe she’s just lonely. But should she understand? I mean, she’s a doctor too. She knows how we work.”

 

“Or she just hates you.” Taeyeon answered nonchalantly.

 

“Wow thanks. Thanks a lot.” Sunny deadpanned.

 

“Your welcome,” she replied curtly not even spared a glance to her friend.

 

“You’re useless.” Sunny snorted in disgust before taking her tray to move to another table.

Too bad the only empty table was merely a few meters away from Taeyeon’s.

 

Better than to sit with this idiot.

 

“Seriously?” Taeyeon tilted her head and laughed at her friend’s antic.

 

“I don’t want to talk to you.”

 

“What’s up with her?” Yuri placed her tray beside Taeyeon.

 

“No biggie, just her usual self being a cry baby.” Taeyeon burst laughed out loud.

 

“Joking aside, what happened?”

 

“Hyomin, what else do you think?”

 

“What about Hyomin?”

 

“Soonkyu here doesn’t have time for her so she thinks that she hates her and I confirm it now she’s moping about it.”

 

“Yah! Don’t talk about me! I’m right here! I can hear you!” Sunny shouted.

 

“Then come here so we can talk about you with you without shouting.” Yuri suggested.

 

“Not gonna happen.”

 

“Sigh… Taeyeon-ah, let’s move to that table.” Sensing no movement from the latter, she rolled her eyes. “Are you coming or not? If you’re not, then you’re a bigger cry baby than her.”

 

“Oh dear God! What are we? Ten?” Taeyeon threw her arms exaggeratedly. 

 

The three friends finally sat together.

 

“Now shake each other hand.” Yuri said solemnly.

 

“No way!”

 

“No freaking way!”

 

Both responded simultaneously right away.

 

“You will,” Yuri took Sunny’s hand forcefully, “even if I have to help you two.” She took Taeyeon’s, still forcefully, and then guided the two dummies to shake each other’s hand as a symbol that they had forgiven each other.

 

“Now. What’s the problem? I don’t have much time for your childlike behavior. I have surgery.”

 

Taeyeon told Yuri the whole story since Sunny refused to open .

 

“Why did you do that, Taeyeon-ah?”

 

“I gave her an honest answer, Yul. Look, Soonkyu… Am I your friend or am I your best friend?”

 

“…”

 

“I’m serious, answer me.”

 

“You’re my person.” Sunny mumbled but loud enough to the two to hear. Taeyeon smiled gratefully.

 

“And that’s why I told you the very truthful answer. I’m not going around the bush to tell you that she’s fine or maybe she needs alone time. She hates you. I can’t be the judge to tell whether it’s okay for her to hate you but…” she caught a breath. “She has a strong reason to hate you.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter