THE PROGRESS

HOME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyeon woke up the next morning as the sunlight slowly emerged through the curtain. She yawned loudly and rubbed her eyes sleepily. She reached for her phone on the table. Her finger touched a pink post-it that was attached on the screen.

 

Urgent meeting. Here’s my phone number. Give me your list. I’ll buy them later. There’s breakfast in the kitchen. –Tiffany

 

It was only 7.07 a.m., Tiffany was off very early.

Taeyeon got up from the couch, stretching her body on the way to the kitchen. Her smile widened at the smell of home cooking. Happily, she dug in. Tiffany’s cook was actually really good. She munched the food while typing her order and sent it to Tiffany.

Done with breakfast, Taeyeon entered her room. An unfamiliar perfume came through her nose. Vanilla. Her favorite. Nice. The bed was made like no one slept there last night. She grabbed a towel and showered. Taeyeon still had half hour to kill before the usual time she went to hospital. Deciding that she had nothing else to do, she turned off the light and made her way to work.

“Taeyeon-ah!” Taeyeon stopped on her track waiting for Sunny. “What has got into you? You’re early.” The plastic surgeon said.

“Why? Am I not allowed to come here early? You should be happy. It’s a progress.”

“Are you saying that because Tiffany has moved in, you make a good progress?” Sunny .

“Hey, it’s me who make the progress. How could you credit her for my hard work?” Taeyeon could sleep longer like she always did, but she was curious what Tiffany made for breakfast and she had no desire to laze around. However, Sunny didn’t need that information of course.

“Whatever you say, Taeng.” Sunny chuckled.

Yuri was the only person in attending lounge. She was putting some coffee in the coffee maker. She looked like about to faint anytime soon.

“Yul, are you okay?” Sunny asked worriedly. “Go sit. I’ll make you coffee.” Sunny escorted Yuri to the couch while Taeyeon changed her clothes.

“I haven’t slept for two days. I’m so sleepy.” Yuri whined weakly.

“Why did you make coffee then?” Taeyeon asked.

“I haven’t done my round. Need to be awake…” her words vanished. Sunny and Taeyeon exchanged a glance, pressing their laughter.

“Let her sleep. I’ll tell her residents to report it to her later.”

“Okay, here’s your coffee. I’ll make sandwich.” Sunny placed a cup on the table.

“I’ve had enough caffeine for today and I've already had omelet. Thanks though, I’ll do my round now. I have to teach the interns after. Lunch?” Taeyeon said as she tied her shoeslaces.

“Sure.” Sunny replied shortly. She kept her face flat, hiding the smirk as she continued making the breakfast. Taeyeon often skipped meals because she was a terrible cook. Without a doubt, it was Tiffany who prepared it for her.

 

------

 

“Which one is more dangerous, blunt or sharp trauma? Mr. Choi.” Taeyeon pointed the young man among the other inters.

“Blunt, I guess Dr. Kim.” He answered unsurely. He made some funny face like he was going to throw up. He was a brand new intern, below average if Taeyeon might add. But as a teacher, it was important to make sure her students didn’t screw with people’s lives.

“Why is that?” She deadpanned.

“Sharp! I mean sharp trauma is more dangerous because it can penetrate through the organ.” He said with more confidence.

“How many types of trauma that we know? Ms. Song.” When the doctor shouted her name, the shorthaired woman was surprised. She was busy cleaning her nails over and over again during the lecture. Clearly, this intern didn’t have interest.

“Uh… it’s um…”

“You can leave now. Catch up with your friends later.” Taeyeon cut her off. She had no time to repeat. She was given so little time to teach tons of materials. “Mr. Shin,” Taeyeon referred the shiny haired guy who sat at the back. He seemed pretty serious during her lecture.

“Four doctor. There are blunt, sharp, burn and blast trauma.”

“Do you agree with Mr. Choi?” She asked.

“No, Doctor. Blunt trauma is way more dangerous because it can hit skin, muscle, even the inner organs. It can cause a close hemorrhage. Sharp trauma, the tool can be used as tampon.”

“What is the most frightening of burn trauma?” She challenged him.

“Inhalation injury doctor.”

When Taeyeon taught, she didn’t give all her knowledge to the students. She offered hints, she wanted them to find the answer on their own first then she would explain what they didn’t understand.

“Now that is what I’m talking about. Learn, people! Next week we’ll talk more about initial emergency assessment for blunt and sharp trauma.” Taeyeon dismissed the class then made her way to cafeteria.

 

-----

 

“Yul? You haven’t gone home yet?” Taeyeon set down the food tray and sat between her two close friends.

“I will after this. On call ,” she sulked.

“Tell me about it,” Sunny chimed in. “Taeyeon, how’s the interns?”

“Some are good, some are stupider than troll,” Taeyeon answered as she swallowed the chicken. “Tomorrow is your turn, right? Good luck with that.”

“By the way, when will you introduce Tiffany to us?” Yuri questioned her.

“How about not ever?”

“Why not?”

“The deal is only for a year. There’s no use for you to know her.”

“You had breakfast this morning. An actual food.” Sunny said as a matter of fact.

“So what?” Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

“Really?” Yuri asked, unconvinced.

“Yep. Can you believe that? Tiffany did it for her.”

“Really?”

“Yes really, Yul. Tiffany didn’t have to right? But she did, even she didn’t have to.” Sunny repeated the same sentence. “I mean to this awfully ungrateful person named Kim Taeyeon whom I am very much sure didn’t even say thank you and walked away like it was not a big deal even though it was a big deal. Because,” she emphasized each words, “Tiffany. Didn’t. Have. To.” Sunny ended her speech.

“She was already at work when I eat that food.” Taeyeon defended herself.

“Let me guess, you didn’t bother to text her to say it, right? Am I right? Or am I right?” She stated sarcastically. Taeyeon kept silent.

“She’s a keeper, Taeng.” Yuri stated while chewing her sandwich. “Introduce her to us.”

“Yuri, I just live with her for a day and it feels like hell. You can’t just say she’s a keeper judging from that.” Taeyeon replied helplessly. Having this conversation with these two idiots was useless.

“She made you breakfast, Taeng.”

“What’s the big deal, seriously guys?!” She threw her hand in the air.

“It means she cares.”

“It was probably left over.”

“Did it look like left over?”

No, it was in perfect shape completed with nice plate dressing. Her silence was loud enough for her friends to understand.

“It’s okay, Sunny.” Yuri patted her shoulder. “We can barge into her apartment anytime we want.” Yuri softly consoled Sunny.

Taeyeon took her phone out of her pocket straight away.

“You’re going to call her?” Sunny’s voice full of hope.

“No, I make a reminder to change my passcode.”

Yuri snatched Taeyeon’s phone, earning a death glare from the shorty.

“How about this, if you let us to see her. I swear to God we’re never going to tease you anymore. We’ll leave you be.” Sunny tried to make negotiation.

“Taeyeon, this is a good deal. Take it!”

Taeyeon contemplated for a moment. What’s the worse could happen anyway? “Not even giggle, snicker, sickenin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter