THE MEETING

HOME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seoul Medical Center

Friday, November 7th 2014.

 

This place was home. This place was a place she had known all her life – where she grew up, where she developed skill she owned today, where she could feel good about herself. She spent most of her time here. She needed to cut and cut and fix the bleeding. What she needed the most was adrenaline. Adrenaline would keep her heart alive. It made her brain worked excelentlly and most importantly, it hid her pain perfectly secure.

“Go home, Taeyeon.”

The young surgeon startled by a hoarse voice. She quickly got onto her feet and bowed politely to her mentor. The old man didn’t see that. He was busy rummaging the fridge, looking for the leftover sandwich his wife made him this morning.

“What are you doing standing there? I said go home.”

“But sir–”

“If I see you walk around here for the rest of the day, I will gladly write a formal letter to the board on how incapable you are as a doctor–”

“But I’m perfectly professional–” Taeyeon couldn’t help but cut him.

“To take care of yourself.” Doctor Park finished his sentences. “You think I didn’t know?” He calmly chewed his food. “I’m old, Taeyeon, but my ears and my eyes are still in ideal condition.” He pointed his ears with a warning look towards her. “Go home.”

Without words, Taeyeon bowed again. She grabbed her lab coat, ready to take her leave.

“I will see you tomorrow at 10 a.m.”

“But–”

“Your surgery will start at 10 a.m.” He spoke sternly.

Taeyeon swore inwardly. She closed the door with a soft click and proceeded her way out from the hospital. Old man can be so annoying sometimes.

             

-----

 

Even without force of order, she’d come home to her apartment eventually. She had to do house chores and laundry every now and then. She didn’t have many clothes and thank God she chose this job. One of many perks of being a doctor was she had to use scrubs in the hospital. That way, numerous shirts and jeans were not necessary.

She had just finished the house routine when her cellphone rang. She put the mug on the coffee table and reached for the phone inside her pocket. “Mom?” She murmured before she picked up the call.

“Good evening, my dearest daughter!”

“Hey, mom.” Taeyeon leaned on her back as she placed her legs on the table. She pulled the TV remote using her feet and turned it on. “What’s up?”

“Oh, nothing big.” She could imagine the older woman waving her hand nonchalantly at the other end. “We’re just wondering if you’re free this Saturday to have some meals with us.”

Taeyeon wanted to say that she’s not free but what good will it do? Her mom would go on long nag on how she never had any time to spare for them anymore. But she had surgeries and other responsibilities. If she canceled last minute, she’d get another endless scolding which she prefered to avoid.

“Late dinner?”

“Late dinner is good. I’ll personally cook your favorite.” Taeyeon smiled at the cheerful voice. “See you tomorrow night, my dear!”

“Alright, mom. Bye.”

           

-----

 

Taeyeon stared at the dining table with drool flowing out of . She had no idea what the special occasion was that made her parents invited her to come over. They were living in the same city, but being a responsible adult she was, she lived in her own apartment in central town.

Taeyeon was grateful to have parents like her mom and dad. They were annoying sometimes – often, actually – but she loved her parents unconditionaly.

The young woman ate greedily, not noticing the disapproval look her parents gave her. Don’t blame her, however, she rarely ate that well. She only ate properly when she had time, or when her lazy was not lazy enough to make something other than cereal. Taeyeon honestly can’t cook.

In the middle of her meal, Taeyeon’s father cleared his throat. At first she ignored it, whatever her dad wanted could wait. Her stomach? Not really. Then he purposely coughed loudly to get her attention.

“Yes dad?” Taeyeon asked, barely glancing at him.

“Honey, we are worried about you.” Her mom spoke.

“You are too skinny, darling. Do you eat regularly?” The older man participated in the conversation.

“You have bags under your eyes. Did you sleep at all? I know you’re busy but sleep is important.”

“Yes and yes. Don’t worry, I’m fine. Also, I’d be really glad if both of you stop staring at me like that and let me eat in peace.” Taeyeon smiled sweetly with sarcasm written all over her face.

She continued eating but of course, her parents weren’t nice enough to not annoy her.

“I want to ask you a question, honey. May I?”

“Can’t it wait? Like a couple of minutes until I finish my food?”

“No, actually it can’t wait, sweetie. It is very important.”

“Fine, shoot.” Taeyeon answered nonchalantly.

“Are you getting laid regularly?” Her mom asked. The question was dead serious. Taeyeon looked up horrifyingly towards the older female version of her. Suddenly her wild appetite was gone and switched to nausea instead.

She knew it. Something will definitely come up. Formal dinner with her parents was always a disaster.

One time when they celebrated Taeyeon’s graduation at her apartment, her dad wanted to impress her about his cooking lesson and literally set the kitchen on fire. Then there was another time when Taeyeon brought her girlfriend to meet them, her mom deliberately, she admitted it, spilled a bowl of ice cream on her girlfriend’s dress. The first sentence that came from her girlfriend, Hye Min, after dinner was “We’re through!” It had been months ago and she never dated anyone ever since. There were still many other stories about dinner, but she preferred to not recall those awful times. This one was definitely going to join the list.

“Are we really talking about my life?” She asked, concerned.

“Yes.” Her parents answered at the same time. Taeyeon rolled her eyes. It wasn’t a secret since they were all close but this was still an awkward issue to discuss.

“I’m doing okay. That is none of your concern.” The petite girl shrugged, hoping her parents would drop the topic. One talk when she was a teenager was enough for a lifetime.

“Honey, you are not young anymore.” Her mom pleaded.

“I’m 29.”

“Late twenties.”

“Still twenties.”

“Darling.” Her father said sternly.

“Look dad, I’m fine, I really am. I’m an adult and this is my private life, I’d like to keep it that way.” She threw her hands up in the air desperately.

The fact was, she had a lot – countless of meaningless one night stands for her own good. And she wasn’t going to share that with her parents. Her mom would faint for sure if she ever find out.

“We’re getting older, Tae.” Her father pointed to himself and his wife with puppy eyes.

“Here it comes.” Taeyeon mumbled to herself, her parents were about to ask for something surprising and improbable for her to obey. Taeyeon remained silent. She knew better than to be hooked by their fishing.

“Okay, I’ll just come right out and say it.” Her mom exhaled dramatically. She looked towards her husband for approval and he nodded in response. The doctor began to shift in her seat to the corner of it, just in case she had to escape.

“We want grandchild.” Her mom dropped the bomb.

“WHAT?! No mom! No way!” Taeyeon shook her head furiously.

“Why not?” Her mom pouted. “You said you’re an adult, Taeyeon.”

“Yes, but–”

“No buts, you can’t use that again.” Her mother continued, “it is our dream to carry our grandchild before we get our inevitable osteoporosis.”

“Your mom is right, baby girl.”

“Guys! Stop it! First of all, you can prevent that disease, you take yoga class every week! Second, I’m not ready. I can hardly take care of myself, let alone another human being! And lastly, I think both of you are very aware of it too, I don’t have a girlfriend. Even if I have, it takes months even years to make a baby!”

After the outburst, they all sat in silence. Nobody dared to open their mouths. It was a pretty good speech, very logical and clear.

“We have a proposition for you.” Again, her father cleared his throat.

“I’m not down even for a sports car.”

“You can buy that with your own money, sweet cheeks” Her father smiled – a dangerous smile. Taeyeon cursed herself repeatedly. It was a bad idea to fulfill the invitation. “Do you remember my old friend? Dong Hwa? My best friend from high school who grew up along with me.”

Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows, “no.”

“Well, you were only two months old when he moved to the States.” He chuckled. Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

“Honey, focus!” His wife hissed at him.

“Right. Um, he has a child, a beautiful daughter…”

“Wait, wait, wait. Are you talking about what I think it is?” Taeyeon cut her dad off.

“Depends. What are you thinking?” He shrugged.

“I’d rather not mention it. You know what? I think it’s best I leave right now. It’s getting late.” She rose from her chair but stopped right away when her mother pushed her shoulder down to sit still.

“Honey, we’re trying to help.”

“I don’t need your help.”

“Well you still have to listen.”

“What if I don’t want to?”

“Then you’re a seditious daughter.” Her mom stated. “Honey, straight to the point before she runs.”

“Okay so, he has a daughter, his only child. Very pretty, I might add. She’s a lawyer, smart just like you and we wanted to introduce you to her.” He spoke cautiously. “You know, since he’s my best friend, you guys should know each other too. We can have family barbecue sometimes or something.”

There was certainly more than that. From her father’s look, Taeyeon knew he tried to hide something. But she nodded her head slightly anyway, giving her dad permission to continue.

“So? What do you think?”

“That’s it?”

Her mother slapped her husband’s arm and gave him a stern look. Taeyeon wondered what could possibly happen after tonight. Don’t get her wrong though, she loved her parents to death but sometimes, granting their wishes was a hard thing to do. This grandchild plan was pretty serious. It was a whole new level of responsibility. She couldn’t just find a girlfriend and then have a kid straight away. Taeyeon wasn’t the kind of person who fell in love easily, she had only done it once, and it hurt like hell when they didn’t make it, and no, it wasn’t Hye Min.

“Honey, I know it may be a lot to take in right now but we kind of hope, you know, umm… maybe you and her could be more than friends? Or how should I say it…” The old woman rambled.

“You want me to marry her?” Taeyeon deadpanned.

“Now you get me!” Satisfaction washed all over her face as if she had completed a complicated task.

“You don’t have to marry straight away. Get to know her first. She will be perfect for you. We only give you the best, right honey?” Her father glanced at his wife who nodded solemnly.

“So?” Her parents’ smile faded away as they looked at Taeyeon’s blank face.

There were lots of scenarios playing in Taeyeon’s mind. She looked back and forth at her mother and father.

“How about this? A year. Get to know her for a year, if you really don’t feel anything, we will cancel the arrangement right away and we’ll never bring it up again. Never ever. But we want you to really try. A year, honey. Deal?”

 

-----

 

Sky Trade Tower, Seoul

Monday, November 10th 2014

 

“Minho-ya! Hold that up!” The dark brown haired woman ran hastily towards the elevator. She managed to step in just before the door closed.

“Are you okay, Tiffany?” Minho chuckled at the sight in front of him. Tiffany was a super neat person. She was always well ordered from head to toe. Today was his first time, after working nearly five years together, seeing her this disorganized.

“Yeah, I just–” Tiffany quickly fixed her long hair while holding her briefcase and coffee cup in another hand.

“Let me help you with that.” He carefully tugged away the briefcase. “You’re going to hurt yourself with this.” Minho pointed the scolding coffee. “Let me.”

“Oh, sorry, I just need to–”   

“Take your time.” Minho smiled charmingly.

Tiffany hurriedly straightened her suit and glanced at the mirror to make sure she was well presentable. “Thanks, Minho.” Tiffany took her things back and puffed a calming breath. “Sorry with that.”

“Not a big deal. It’s totally cool.” He grinned. “Pretty refreshing, actually. You’re still as attractive as ever.” A tint of subtle pink spread a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter