THE FRUSTRATION

HOME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[To Fany 08.17 a.m.] Which one is better?

She sent three of handbags picture.

[From Fany 08.21 a.m.] Neither, why?

[To Fany 08.21 a.m.] Just asking your opinion. What are you doing?

[From Fany 08.23 a.m.] About to go meeting with a client. What are you doing? Still in morning report?

[To Fany 08.24 a.m.] Yep. What about this one?

Tiffany looked at the black branded elegant handbag. It was really pretty.

[To Fany 08.24 a.m.] Or this one? Came another chat with picture attachment.

Tiffany frowned.

[From Fany 08.25 a.m.] What's with you and these bags? She typed.

[To Fany 08.25 a.m.] I'm into fashion. So? Taeyeon asked impatiently.

[From Fany 08.27 a.m.] Yeah, and I’m not scared of scary movie. She replied sarcastically.

[To Fany 08.28 a.m.] Which one? Taeyeon ignored the remark.

[From Fany 08.30 a.m.] The forth one is simple yet classy. It'll look good on you.

[To Fany 08.30 a.m.] Do you like it?

[From Fany 08.31 a.m.] Why does it matter? Tiffany chuckled.

[To Fany 08.31 a.m.] Do you like it? She repeated.

[From Fany 08.33 a.m.] I like it.

Taeyeon put her phone on the table and focused her attention to the presentation.

"Mr. H, 33 y.o, admitted to the hospital last night due to blunt injury on anterior thorax sinistra and penetrating injury on lateral thorax dextra. He was brought in by a civilian directly to the hospital. Vital sign: GCS: 12, RR: 34x/m, Pulse: 129x/m, BP: 90/50mmHg.”

The 3rd year resident showed the audience the pictures of the patient.

"On physical examination, we found vesicular sound on the right chest decreased and there was slightly deviated trachea to the left. We put on IV line, RL 40 gtt/m, 8L of oxygen on NRM, then we performed decompression by inserting 18 gauge needle on the second ICS of the right chest. The patient was stable for couple minutes before he fell in shock. We performed resuscitation but no improvement. Patient died on 00.47 KST."

"How's the heart?" Taeyeon asked.

"Excuse me, doctor?"

"The heart."

"Well... Umm, we uh, the heart is uh–" he sputtered.

"That patient died due to the cardiac tamponade. Want to know how I know that? Forensic team notified me this morning.” She folded her arms. “Did you or did you not examine his heart?”

“Well there’s no - I mean… we couldn’t–”

“Ultrasound?” She sneered as the conference room fell into an awful silent. He bowed his head deeply. “Don’t you have eyes and ears?” She increased her brow. “Dr. Seo, what sign do you need to find out from this patient?” She shouted, asking her favorite resident at the front seat.

“Jugular vein distention, doctor.”

“What do you wish to hear from the heart sound of this patient?”

“Muffle heart sound, doctor.”

“See?” She tapped her pen on the table. “I believe this is not that hard. You’re a doctor, you see it everyday, you already pass the ATLS so I don’t understand why this such stupid thing, happened!” She finally yelled. “We’re talking about a living human being here, people! I’m not asking you to be a god. I’m asking you to be a freaking doctor! You choose this path now be responsible for it!”

“I do not wish something like this happen again in the future, you hear me?” She looked sternly at the young doctors. They nodded their head in sour expression. “Morning report’s done. Now get back to work.” She dismissed them as she got up from the chair and walked towards the attending lounge.   

 

 

----

 

 

Taeyeon opened a medical magazine searching for something that might capture her interest. Human genome mapping project definitely caught her eyes. There were a lot to love about meds. Developing medical technology was one of many.

It was aimed that this project could predict what kind of disease someone will suffer so the disease can be prevented before it happened. As it said project, it hadn’t finished yet. People were still working on it. It’d be a great success should it work. Imagine how much lives that can be saved.

“Ugh, I swear that guy is here to get high!”

She lifted her eyes towards the voice source, finding Yuri half – only on her underwear, grumbling. She threw her scrubs to the dirty laundry. Taeyeon chuckled knowing exactly whom she was talking about. A certain homeless guy who complained of nausea and dizziness had been coming back to the hospital but the tan doctor couldn’t find any abnormality on him.

“You know what, maybe I should go to the chief to get him forbid come near hospital.” The tall girl groaned in frustration. She took the clean scrubs and put it on her quickly.

“What’s with the rush, Yul?” She asked.

“He threw up on me! It smells awfully bad. Want to smell it?”

“No, thanks. Maybe he does have something in his body. You should run some test.” She offered an advice.

“I already did! He just wants to get high and sleep on comfortable bed. I want to kick his so bad right now!” She nagged while making a cup of black coffee. Typical stressed Yuri. Alcohol wasn’t allowed in hospital so caffeine would do her in the mean time. “Want some?” Taeyeon shook her head. She already had enough caffeine for one day. “Whattcha reading?” Yuri sipped her coffee as she sat beside Taeyeon.

“Genome mapping project. Do you think they’re going to get it done?”

As a general surgeon plus a freak at DNA thing, Yuri must have some opinion on it. “Maybe.” She shrugged nonchalantly. “In theory, it is possible. You just have to slice the chain, make sequence, and identify what cells can possibly mutate. Problem is it’ll cost at least I don’t know millions – billions bucks?”  

“It sounds a lot complicated than you said.”

“If only I end up being a pure scientist instead of a doctor, I will never get out of my lab. DNA is amazing. They’re small you think you can beat them but wait until they’re angry, they’d code the bad code and the mutation gene hiding behind the good one, nothing could stop them then bam! Congratulation you get yourself a cancer.” She explains excitedly then frowns not a seconds after. “Why am I explaining this to you? You know it yourself.” She slapped Taeyeon’s arm.

Taeyeon chuckled lightly. Yuri was biochemists superb since high school. She was always excited talking about that kind of thing and Taeyeon had no heart to stop her.

“Don’t you have surgery? Why are you chilling in here?” Yuri asked as she got up to get some food.

“I canceled. He’s unstable. Again.” Taeyeon answered. “Give me that apple.” She pointed at a bucket of fruit. Yuri tossed it to Taeyeon.

“Mr. Shin?” Taeyeon nodded as she bit her apple. “He wanted to die, let him.” Yuri said nonchalantly.

“You’re sassy today.”

“I stated fact. He had lung cancer yet constantly smoke in hospital for god’s sake!” She threw her hand in the air. “He threatened the nurses and the intern to get the smoke. How is it possibly happened?”

“He’s just bored and old and lonely. Smoke is his friend.” Taeyeon replied. Not that she agreed with him. She was just trying to understand his feeling. He was angry all the time, he only calm when he was smoking.

“Whatever. I gotta go, some of us have real work.” Yuri as she walked out of the room.

 

-----

 

“So… what are you doing today? Anything interesting?” Tiffany caressed Taeyeon’s face absentmindedly with her eyes glued to the novel on her hand while the latter replying a message on her phone. Taeyeon was spooning Tiffany on the couch while enjoying the quiet peaceful night in their house.

“Pretty much yelling and texting you,” she answered, still typing.

“That’s explained why your voice is a little bit hoarse,” Tiffany stirred a bit and looked at her. “Why are you yelling?”

“Someone died last night because of my stupid resident.”

“So it makes you bad mood?”

“Kind of,” she locked her phone and tossed it aside then snuggled her nose to Tiffany’s hair, holding her closer. “But my mood is better now.”

“I’m glad,” she smiled. “Want to talk about it?” She closed her book and put it on the floor.

“What do you want to talk about?”

“Hm,” Tiffany pursued her lips. “What did you tell them? How loud was your voice?”

“Loud enough to make them pee in their pants?” She laughed out loud. “Nah, I’m joking. But my voice echoed in the conference room.”

“You meanie!”

“I just don’t understand why is it so hard for them to learn? I mean they pass med school they have basic. Applying it shouldn’t be that hard.”

“Maybe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter