THE BROKEN PEOPLE

HOME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I have schizophrenia trait.” She spoke blankly under the dim light of her room. The uneasiness in her soul was too obvious. “I have schizophrenia trait,” she repeated.

The other person in the room moved her head onto the latter’s chest. She placed her head under the older woman’s chin, making herself comfortable. She sensed a pair of hands instinctively held her waist closer. Even in her restlessness, she never failed to show her protective side.

“If it turns out incurable, will you still love me?”

Schizophrenia is incurable. Drugs controlled the symptoms, but there was no way for the damaged psyche to heal perfectly. The fact that her blood father was diagnosed with Schizophrenia meant she inherited at least 10 percent chance of getting the same disorder.

“You are healthy.”

“For how long?” She slipped her hand under the latter’s shirt as she the soft skin beneath her fingertips.

“Why are we talking like you’re going change tomorrow?” SeoHyun let a low sigh escaped her lips as she shivered by YoonA’s touch.

“We never know what future brings.” YoonA inhaled the smell of her girlfriend’s shampoo.

SeoHyun captured YoonA’s lips in slow motion, tracing every inch of it. Her mind was empty. Her brain spontaneously went off every time their skin made contact each other.

The lack of answer sent YoonA to un-sureness of where they were standing now. When they made love that night, she didn’t feel the same peacefulness she used to experience.

As if it was over.

 

 

-----

 

 

The couches merely about a meter apart from the other, but the cold long distance between two broken people was clearly visible. Their raging breathing from shouting so much left the misery aura in the room.

One of them wiped the tears that streamed unendingly from her eyes. The other stared angrily at the crushed white device that lying lifelessly on the floor. Its screen shattered into pieces.

She knew something was off. She knew the person she loved wasn’t the same person she first met. People changed all the time, she just couldn’t believe that it had to be the worst form of changing.

“Yuri-ah.” Jessica’s voice cracked, she was shaking on her seat.

“I’ll indemnify your phone.” Yuri stood up and shouldered her bag.

“I’m sorry.” Jessica didn’t bother to brush away her tears. She let it flow freely. “I’m so sorry,” she begged.   

“I’m sorry, too.” The reply came out flat. “I hope you will be happy with him. I’m sorry I can’t be your person, I’m sorry I on everything. I’m sorry I failed you.”

“I love you, Yuri-ah.” She sobbed, her chest constricted painfully. “Please?” It’s just nightmare, let it be nightmare.

“I don’t.”

Jessica fell on her knees at the same time world collapsed around her.

 

 

-----

 

 

“It’s a date tonight.”

“It’s a date.” Tiffany confirmed.

“Cool.” Taeyeon grinned. “I’ll be out by five then pick you up then-”

“Wait, why don’t we just leave together from here? It’ll help you from so much hassle.” She greased a spoonful of Nutella on Taeyeon’s wheat bread.

“You said I’m not romantic, when I’m trying to be one you’re not supportive.” Taeyeon rolled her eyes.   

Tiffany laughed. “What’s so romantic about you picking me at my office?”

“Isn’t this what girls always want? For her significant other to show her off to friends and relatives?”

“Oh? So you wanted to show me off to my colleagues?” Tiffany increased her brow.

Taeyeon shrugged. “If you prefer to go from here it’s also okay with me.” 

“Now, now where’s the fun on that?” Tiffany took out the cartoon milk and poured it into her glass.

“Why are you so bipolar today?”

“Why are you so grumpy in early morning?” She pecked the top Taeyeon’s head. “Last night should lighten you up for the rest of the day.” Tiffany patted Taeyeon’s cheeks.

Taeyeon blushed, her cheeks warmed up by the memory of their activity hours ago. The lack of response made Tiffany laughed. She knew Taeyeon was embarrassed. “Anyway, I need your credit card.”

“What for?”

“It’s due time payment,” Tiffany answered. “I’ll do it, I don’t have much schedule today.” Taeyeon always forgot even though Tiffany had reminded her over and over.

“It’s in my wallet.” Taeyeon chewed her food and let Tiffany took the card by herself.

“I know it’s in your wallet,” Tiffany mumbled. She sighed at the sight of messy money in it. She just quietly organized it, making a fuss about it would not make any difference to Taeyeon. She put some extra cash in it since the amount of money Taeyeon currently had was not going to be enough for her lunch.

Tiffany took her phone and wrote the number in her note as she placed the card back in its place. “I can’t believe you almost max out your credit card for this,” Tiffany mentioned the ring on her left ring finger.

Taeyeon put her plate on the sink and washed her hands. “I will only be married to you. Once in my lifetime. What’s my sin to make my fiancée happy?” Taeyeon shrugged. She walked towards Tiffany and held her waist. “Don’t you worry about money.”

“I don’t,” Tiffany kissed her lips. “Thank you.”      

“Wait, if you pay my debt, that ring is not purely from me anymore.” Taeyeon broke off the kiss.

“It’s not about who buy who. It’s about your intention that matter to me.”

Taeyeon smiled and kissed her again. “Now that I think about it, my job can support both of us actually.”

“What are you saying, Taeyeon Kim?” Tiffany lifted up her eyebrow. “Are you hinting something?”

Taeyeon flicked her tongue. “I don’t do such thing,” she shrugged. “Just thinking out loud.”

“If we get married later, will you ask me to quit my job?”

“Do you want to quit your job?”

Tiffany didn’t answer immediately. She was contemplating. Taeyeon’s objection regarding her job had decreased over time. Though it didn’t mean that they didn’t fight because of it. After her status changed from fiancée to a wife, it’d make this issue more complicated. She obviously didn’t want to spend the rest of her life constantly arguing the same thing.

“I don’t know,” she muttered. Tiffany couldn’t see herself sitting around the house and did what a housewife did. She’d be bored to death.

Taeyeon saw the hesitation and smiled. She tucked Tiffany’s bangs behind her ear and put her palm on her cheek gently. “I don’t want to keep your dreams away from you. You’re the smartest person I’ve known and it’d be such a waste if you just walking around the house hiding from the world that needs you.”

“How many children are we going to have?”

“As much as you want to bear,” Taeyeon grinned.

“Me? You don’t want to try pregnancy?” Tiffany frowned.

The thing was, Taeyeon was always the one who cut people open. She held the blade. She had learnt about human body and the nature of reproductive system. She wasn’t so keen to let her uterus filled with a human being. Also, the pain of giving birth made her shivering down to the spine.

“Well…” Taeyeon was fidgeting with the hem of her shirt. “You know, it’s just my uterus… it’s hassle.”

“Hassle?”

“Yeah, like… it can’t bear a child.” She nodded.

“It can’t bear a child?” Tiffany folded her arms as she started to laugh.

“Yah! Don’t laugh at me! This is not funny!” Taeyeon threw her a disapproving look.

“You’re scared! That’s why!” Tiffany kept on laughing. “You’re a doctor.” She said as a matter of fact.

“Exactly!” Taeyeon pouted. “I just can’t, okay?!”

“Alright, alright,” Tiffany clapped her hands, happy to tease Taeyeon. “So, how much do you have in mind?”

“Three?”

“Two.”

“You ask me now you decide it by yourself?”

“Three is too much, don’t you think? Can you take care of them all?”

“Yes I can, duh! I’m a responsible adult.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes. “Adult who wear her socks upside down and lose her car key almost everyday.” She freed herself from Taeyeon and took the duster.

“But I have you! You remind me and help me find my key,” Taeyeon argued.

“You do know having children mean you have to wake up in the middle of the night should they cry?”

“I’ve had my share of sleepless nights.”

“Give them food?”

“I can learn to cook. What’s so hard about making milk anyway? Just put two spoons of milk powder to the bottle and pour some water.”

“You forgot to boil the bottle before you use it, wait for a while before you can pour the milk, also the water temperature and–”      

“I will read them story every night before they’re going to bed.” Taeyeon cut Tiffany off since she’d obviously fail at cooking field. “I can bath them, take them to school, go to Disney Land if they have good grades. I will spare my time for them.”

“And clean their poop?”

Taeyeon nodded confidently. “And clean their – what?” Taeyeon frowned.

“Poop.” Tiffany smirked. “They’re going to poop, pee, human do that things. They’re not always going to be cute and adorable. I know there’s diapers, but I’m not enthusiastic to use it 24/7. Babies’ skin is sensitive and I certainly do not want my baby gets irritation from it.”

“You’ve read about babies?” Taeyeon smiled.

“I read it sometimes,” Tiffany wiped the kitchen counter. “To prepare.”

Taeyeon hugged her fiancée from behind and kissed her shoulder, preventing her from resuming her work.

“I love you, you know that?”

“Yes, why are you suddenly hugging me like this?” Tiffany turned at her back only to be surprised by Taeyeon’s lips on her.

“I love you,” Taeyeon mumbled between kisses.

“I love you, too.” 

“We’re a team. If I have to wash their poopy pants, then I will.”

  

 

-----

 

 

The loud indistinct voice made YoonA and SeoHyun turned their heads. They glanced at each other silently asking what was the shouting was about. The shout was getting louder as the door abruptly opened and walked in two surgeons they knew very well, fighting.

“I will see you at lunch. Wait for me, okay?” SeoHyun grabbed her coffee from YoonA’s hand and gave her a really quick peck then gone.

“What the heck is going on?” Taeyeon’s head appeared behind the toilet door. “Who’s shouting?”

“I can’t believe you turn to be this stupid, Sunny!”

“This is none of your business!” Sunny yelled back.

“Well yeah I know you’ve been playing around behind her back!” Yuri spat, the anger inside her chest rising rapidly. “If you don’t want to be with her anymore then tell her like a gentle person would do.”     

“You know nothing about us!”

“See?! You can’t even fight me with some proper excuse. You keep on running because you know exactly that you’re wrong!”

“Guys!” Taeyeon quickly put on her pants and stood between the two foes. “What’s going on?!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter