THE TORTURE

HOME
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Fany?” Taeyeon’s face popped up to the latter’s room. She frowned by the sight of messy clothes everywhere. “Are you going somewhere?”

“Hey, Taeyeon-ah, I’m sorry I didn’t hear you.” Tiffany walked out from the bathroom then sat at the edge of the bed. “Welcome home,” she welcomed Taeyeon with a sweet smile as always. “Tired?”

“Not really. Where are you going?”

“Japan, first flight tomorrow morning. Ugh! I hate it when my boss orders me to go somewhere last minute!” She groaned. “He send me to the Annual Lawyers Meeting in Tokyo.”

“Japan? Why didn’t you tell me?” Just the thought about being alone in her own house without Tiffany troubled her.

“Last minute order, Tae. He informed me this morning. I’m sorry.”

“So no weekend for us?”

“I’ll be back with a bag full of jelly?” Tiffany tried to negotiate.

“You know I would rather not eat jelly than to have you away.” She leaned on the doorway folding her arms. “I thought we’ll laze around and order Chinese food and watch movies all day?”

“Our plan was doing laundry and rearrange the living room together. None of that stuff you say.” Tiffany increased her brow.

“Whatever. We won’t do that anyway. You’re going to Japan and leave me alone at this stinky house,” She spoke sarcastically.

“It is not! Our house is not stinky! I put automatic perfume in ever corner!” She sulked. “What?!” Tiffany glared at the short girl who was grinning widely.

“You said our house,” She stated simply.

“I did?” Tiffany blushed hard. She looked away to hide it from Taeyeon. “I’m sorry, I mean your house.” She mumbled quietly.

“Why are you sorry? I’m really happy you say that. It means you have a feeling that you belong here. It’s mine, yours, ours.” The doctor smiled softly making Tiffany reddened even harder. Taeyeon fought hard the urge to hug Tiffany right there and then.  

“Thank you,” Tiffany uttered the appreciation sheepishly.

“Can I sit beside you?”

Tiffany scooted over to make some space for her.

“When will you get back?” Taeyeon questioned, ignoring the tingling feeling on her knee when it made a contact with Tiffany’s.

“Sunday night, though I don’t have anything to do at day. I don’t even get the chance to book my own flight.” She sighed. “I’m sorry, Taeyeon-ah.”

“Why are you keep saying sorry? It’s not your fault.”

“I know. Will you be okay when I’m away?”

“I am a big girl, I can be on my own.” Taeyeon put her hand on her chest and nodded solemnly earning a soft shoved from Tiffany because of her silly antics.

“Go to sleep, Fany-ah. It’s getting late and you need rest.”

“I will, just need to put these clothes in the suitcase and I’ll go straight to bed.”

“Okay, I’ll drive you to airport. Wake me up?”

“You don’t have to do that, you can use an hour or two to sleep, Taeyeon-ah.”

“Don’t argue with me. Just wake me up, Fany.” Taeyeon made her way to the door. “Goodnight.” She smiled as she bid her goodbye.

“Goodnight, Taetae.”

 

 

-----

 

 

Taeyeon yawned as she leaned closer to the steering wheel, bearing her sleepiness. She blinked a few times to prevent tears blurring her vision.

“Told you I can take a cab.” Tiffany scolded, disliking the idea of Taeyeon driving in drowsy state.

“And you know I won’t let that happen.” She turned to the right, entering the high way.

“You’re so stubborn.” Tiffany sighed.

“I sleep enough if that’s what you’re worried about.” Taeyeon increased the temperature since it was too cold for her liking.

“Yeah well tell that to your eye bags.” She nagged.

Taeyeon tapped Tiffany’s thigh to assure her she was fine. Taeyeon stayed silent for the rest of the drive to concentrate on the road ahead. By the time they arrived, Taeyeon helped Tiffany with the suitcase. They walked side by side to the departure gate. Taeyeon spotted Sooyoung from afar.

“Is Jessica also going with you?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Nothing,” she replied shortly.

“She’s not here yet, don’t fight with her, okay?”

“I hope not to meet her,” she mumbled under her breath.

“She’s my closest friend, Taeyeon-ah. Please be nice.”

“If she’s not getting on my nerves, I guess I can handle her.” The doctor shrugged. Taeyeon never really liked Jessica and vise versa. So, Tiffany took the answer as a yes.

“Tiff!” Sooyoung waved at her. Tiffany waved back as the both of the girls walked towards the tall woman. “I was too early, ugh! Thank God you’re here.” They hugged. “Hey, Taeyeon.”

“Sooyoung.” Taeyeon nodded and smile a little.     

“Where’s Jess?”

“Late. What else you expect from her?”

“Right,” she chuckled. “Taeyeon-ah, do you want some coffee?”

“Nah, I’m good.” She shrugged nonchalantly.

“Tiff, we should go check in.” Sooyoung said.

Tiffany looked expectantly at Taeyeon. “You’ll be okay, right?”

“Yep. Go on, you don’t want to miss your flight.” Taeyeon smiled. “Call me before and after you land, okay?”

“Okay.” They were in awkward situation since it was the first time they bid a goodbye to each other for two days and to another region of the world.

Taeyeon scratched the back of her head and cleared nervously. “Be safe, Fany-ah.” She said and patted Tiffany’s arm softly. “I’ll be on my way now. Bye Sooyoung.” She waved as she walked towards her car. For several times, she turned at her back finding Tiffany was still staring at her.

Taeyeon got into her car as she felt the loneliness started to creep inside her.

Two days. Just in two days she’d be back. I can survive two days.

 

 

----

 

 

Taeyeon signed her signature on her patient’s chart to discharge him. She had talked to the patient’s family and they were very thankful. It was already two weeks since he was admitted to the hospital. He was all bored and ready to run out from this scary place. She was making sure that the chart was complete when Yuri came to stand beside her and asked the nurse for her patient’s chart.

“Yul?”

“Hm?” She responded while writing.

“Do you want to switch on call with me tonight?”

“Why?”

“No reason.” Tiffany is away and I hate to be at home without her. “Just feel like it.”

“You don’t have a plan with Tiffany on this lovely Friday night?” She returned the status then faced Taeyeon as she increased her brow.

“Nope,” she replied shortly.

“Aah, you fight with her?”

“We’re not fighting, okay?” Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

“Well, how should I know? Aren’t you supposed to be all lovey dovey right now?” She clicked her pen repeatedly.

“I don’t know what are you talking about.” Taeyeon turned her heels and left Yuri.

“Taeyeon-ah, let’s change!” She shouted, effectively stopped Taeyeon on tracks. Yuri ran a little to catch Taeyeon and put her arm around her best friend’s shoulder. “I’m going to have dinner with my parents tonight.”

“They’re here?”

“Yeah, to congratulate YoonA personally. Thank God they don’t really forget about us their own daughters.” It sounded normal but Taeyeon knew there was hurt behind those nonchalant sentence. Yuri and YoonA were blood sisters. Same father, different mother. Their family wasn’t close with each other. To be quite honest, their family was a mess. Their parents were not living at Korea. They were staying somewhere in Japan because their father worked there.

“It’s great, right?” Taeyeon was unsure how to respond.

“I guess?”

Taeyeon nodded as she patted Yuri’s back without wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter