The Fails

To Trouble Thee

Eunji found herself at the infirmary room, staring at the plain white ceiling. The blinding light was quickly covered by a human figure, and it took a while for her eyes to adjust to the darkening figure. She squinted her brown orbs, rubbing them while trying to get up.

However, a major headache washed over her, causing her to groan in pain and lie back down. She rubbed her forehead, which began to hurt everytime she pressed her finger against the somewhat large bump.

"She woke up! Sohyun, go get the nurse!" a familiar voice commanded. Eunji tried to open her eyes, but she felt something cold fall to her eyelids.

"Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry, Eunji! Please, speak to me," another voice pleaded desperately. It took her a few minutes to realize who she was speaking to.

"Byunghun? Daehyun?" she managed to say.

"Eunji!" Byunghun cried out. "Do you remember anything that happened earlier?"

"Um… no?" she answered. Honestly, she couldn't remember what she was doing. Why was she at the nurse's office? Did something happen?

When her head began to throb, she flinched and touched her forehead, where she figured that it was a bruise. She removed the cold icepack from her eyes and brought them closer to the bump.

"Oh my gosh. She's got amnesia! Daehyun, this is all your fault!" Byunghun exclaimed.

"Eunji, I'm so sorry! Please don't sue me!" Daehyun begged. "I still have a wife and three children!"

"You're not even married!" retorted Byunghun.

"Yeah, but I saw it in a drama. I thought it was the perfect time to say that," the other man said, giving him a small wink.

"She's over there," a small voice said.

Withdrawing the curtains, the nurse found herself standing in front of Eunji. Eunji gave the nurse a weak smile, while the boys cowered to the other side of the bed. Although the nurse cupped her cheeks to examine the bruise, Eunji's eyes were mainly on the unfamiliar girl. She was cute and small, not to mention that she looked young. She wanted to suspect that the girl was a first-year, but she didn't want to assume anything. 

"You seem fine. Just keep the ice on the bruise a little longer. Do you feel dizzy or anything?" the nurse asked.

"I'm fi–"

"She's got amnesia," Byunghun blurted. "She can't remember what happened to her."

"Byunghun! You're such an idiot! Why did you have to tell her that?" Daehyun whined.

"Guys, can you be quiet? You're giving me a headache!" Eunji shouted, causing the boys to be quiet. "I'm fine, but I just don't remember how I got here."

"You were unconscious, so you wouldn't know how you got here," the small girl started. "The boys were playing a game of basketball, and when Byunghun was going to pass the ball to Daehyun, Daehyun missed the pass and the ball landed against your forehead. You fell over and some other guy–"

"Howon swooped in and dragged you to the nurse's office," Daehyun finished.

"Howon? Where is he now?" Eunji asked, looking around.

"He went home. He's not the healthiest guy, and he's not supposed to carry anything heavy," Byunghun blurted, causing Eunji to turn red. Her cheeks burned with embarrassment, and she only had the strength to glare at the blunt boy.

But I feel kind of bad, she thought, patting her stomach lightly. Now I have to go thank him and apologize to him.

"By the way, this is Kwon Sohyun. She's one of the newest basketball managers. She's really good at basketball and everything," Byunghun said, pointing at the stranger.

Sohyun gave Eunji a shy smile, while she smiled back.

"She seems to be a really gentle person. Are you a first-year?" Eunji asked.

"Yes, I am," Sohyun answered proudly.

"You guys found a really good manager. I can already tell that she's going to be great," Eunji praised.

"Well, everything seems fine here. I'll let you guys chat for a few minutes, but you guys have to return to class as soon as possible, okay?" the nurse said. The students nodded their heads, and the nurse closed the curtains to give them some privacy.

Once the nurse was a good distance away from them, Byunghun sighed and stared at Sohyun. Feeling intimidated, Sohyun scooted closer to Eunji while standing at the opposite direction from the boys.

"Sohyun definitely would be the best basketball manager if she wasn't so scared of guys, though," Byunghun commented.

"What? You're scared of guys? Aw, why?" Eunji asked, tilting her head. "I mean, I understand if you don't like Byunghun. He's pretty straightforward when it comes to sensitive topics. You should see him talk to one of our friends, Jieun."

"It's mostly Naeun doing the talking, but she's practically flirting with the guys," Daehyun said. "Naeun is the other manager, if you didn't know."

Eunji grinned. "Well, it still sounds fun. I'd like to go and see you practice one day."

"You're always welcomed to visit! As long as you're not a distraction to the team, you can come to see your friends," Sohyun informed her with sparkling eyes.

Man, she's just like a puppy! Eunji thought, unable to resist the cuteness. "What did you boys ever do to this poor thing?"

Daehyun widened his eyes. "Are you serious? It's not like we ever did anything to her!"

"By the way, can I ask you a question, Eunji?" There was a hint of red on Sohyun's cheeks. "Are you dating the guy who saved you? What was his name… Oh, right! Howon! Are you dating Howon?"

Byunghun burst into laughter while Eunji dropped her jaws, speechless. He fell down to the ground, slapping the floor as tears sprang out of his eyes. The girl rubbed the back of her neck, unsure of how to respond to the sudden question. She glanced at Daehyun, who only stared at her with curious eyes.

"Um… No, we're not. We're just really good friends," Eunji stammered.

Disappointment was visible on Sohyun's face. "Oh, I see. Well, I'll be going now. Goodbye, Eunji! I hope your forehead gets better."

She turned to the boys, but avoided looking at them straight in the eyes. "I-I'll see you two l-later, I g-guess."

She nervously ran out of the room, letting out small squeaks when she was about to bump into the wall. Byunghun stared at her for a few minutes, then shook his head.

"Hey, I'll go first. I feel like she's really going to bump into something if I don't follow her," he said, waving at the two. He jogged over to Sohyun, who almost screamed when she saw him. Fortunately for him, she managed to realize who he was and calmed down.

"Oh, it's just y-you," she said, composing herself.

"By the way, what was with that question?" Byunghun asked.

"What q-question?"

"You know, that one question where you asked if Howon and Eunji were dating? It's pretty obvious that they aren't dating."

She bit her bottom lip, looked around, then leaned a bit closer. "C-Can you keep a s-secret?"

"Um, yeah. I guess I can," he said.

Sohyun paused, then whispered, "You know how Howon came to save her?" Byunghun nodded his head. "Well, I asked him if he was her boyfriend, and he told me that he wished he was. So I thought that the two were at least in love, but I guess it's one-sided."

The first-year walked away, leaving Byunghun stunned and puzzled with what she said.

Back at the nurse's office, Eunji and Daehyun sat next to each other in silence. The two remained quiet, unsure of what to say. They exchanged awkward glances, but didn't say a word. Suddenly, Daehyun gasped and pulled something out of his bag.

"I forgot to tell you, but when you collapsed, you dropped this. Isn't this that journal you talked about a few days ago?" Daehyun asked, handing her the familiar journal.

Eunji widened her eyes and snatched it away. "You didn't look at it, right? Dasom would kill me if she found out that someone not from our group read this!"

"Relax, I never touched it. Wow, is it that personal?" he questioned.

"Um, I think so. I don't know, I never really read the other's entry. It's more of Dasom who likes to read what happens to everyone," she said.

"I see, I see." A pause. "Are you going home early?"

"Honestly, I have no idea. I'm going to see how things go today. If I feel too sick, then I'm probably going home."

"Should I go home with you? I mean, your parents are busy with work and all," he pointed out.

"I think I can manage on my own. My head feels fine, and–" Eunji felt her eyes rotate subconsciously. Something burned in , and she kept quiet. She closed her lips, putting her hand over her burning chest.

Daehyun stared at her for a few seconds, then frowned.

"Are you okay?" he asked curiously.

Eunji wanted to say that she was okay, but she was sure that if she opened , something unpleasant would come up from . She gave him a weak smile, while putting her hand over the cold bruise. Daehyun approached closer to her, putting both of his hands on her thin shoulder.

"Eunji, you don't look fine. Should I go get the nurse–"

Before he had the chance to say another word, Eunji opened . She felt a sour liquid come up from until it reached the tip of her tongue. A strange white liquid spilled out of her lips, staining Daehyun's blazer.

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, " he whispered quickly. He stared down at the his clothes, feeling disgusted every time the awful stench went into his nose. "Nurse! Nurse, she threw up on me!"

Indeed, Eunji kept throwing up, unconscious of who she was puking at. Daehyun finally released his grip, and stepped back as the nurse approached the two, figuring out what on earth was going on between the girl who threw up and the guy who seemed like he wanted to cry.

 

Day 9 – Eunji
I went unconscious because of Byunghun's fail pass, and threw up on a close friend's precious clothes.