Glass Art

To Trouble Thee

During one of the hottest weeks of summer, Junhee found herself dragging her feet along the dirt road while being crowded by people in the same grade as her. She could hear teachers constantly blowing on their whistles, calling for them and shouting instructions to the massive student body. She nearly felt sick under the pressure. Not only did her head hurt, but she was feeling a bit dehydrated and hungry. 

"You two look like robots who need to be oiled," Byunghun commented, staring at Taemin and Junhee.

Taemin tried to fan himself with a brochure in his hand. "We can't help it. We're not good with staying outdoors."

"Here, do you want water? I packed extra just in case," Eunji said, pulling out two bottles of water. Junhee and Taemin rushed to her side, taking the small bottle of water. Rather than conserving, they gulped the entire bottle down, wiping their sweat while giving Eunji a grateful expression.

"Eunji, you are an angel!" Junhee cried out. "I would feel less tired if you were the group leader!"

"Speaking of group leader, where's Dasom?" Jieun asked, turning around.

"Maybe she's talking to the teachers. I heard that the group leaders have to go and report to the teachers that all of their group members are present," Eunji said, glancing around.

"But how lucky are we? We managed to be in the same group together! Is it luck, or is it destiny?" Byunghun asked, awing at the thought.

On the day that their teachers had announced the groups, the six were pleasantly surprised to be in the same circle. They knew that this was a good thing; there wouldn't be any sort of awkwardness between them compared to the other groups. 

"Speaking of Dasom," Eunji continued, "isn't there something different about her?"

"What do you mean?" Junhee asked.

"It's like she's become more considerate. I mean, maybe it's because Dasom likes being a bit of a queen in the group, but she's taking her role as group leader seriously. I expected Taemin to help her out or something," she tried to explain.

"I'm more surprised that Taemin didn't get the group leader spot," Byunghun said.

"No, it's not just because she's a group leader. It's more than that." Eunji looked around, then gestured her friends to make a closed circle. When they leaned forth to hear what she had to say, they couldn't believe their ears. "One guy told me that Dasom actually rejected a confession and refused to go on anymore dates with random boys."

"No way," Jieun said. "You're lying."

"I wish I was! Plus…" She looked around once more. "She asked me for love advice."

Byunghun laughed. "You? Seriously?" He stopped laughing when he realized that Eunji was telling the truth. "Seriously?"

"Mhm! I have no idea what's going on with her right now." She looked at Junhee. "Did Dasom perhaps give you the journal yet?"

Junhee nodded her head. "Yeah, she did."

"Did you read her latest entry yet?"

"Yeah. If I was correct, she found out that Myungsoo likes her," the red-head explained.

"How'd she find out?" Taemin asked.

"That shouldn't be the main point, Taemin. The real question is why she's realizing this now," Jieun said, rolling her eyes. "Do you boys even pay attention to Dasom and Myungsoo? It's so obvious that Myungsoo likes Dasom!"

"Sh! Sh! She's coming back!" Byunghun whispered. The five looked up, watching Dasom return with a few paper in her hands. 

She looked at them and smiled, joining in the circle. "What's going on?"

"Nothing!" Eunji lied. "Anyway, what's that in your hands?"

"The schedule. Here, take one. When we have free time later, we're allowed to look around with any group as long as you're in a group. I saw that there's a glass museum somewhere around us. Can we go there? They have some great gifts to give," Dasom told them. She looked up at the five, anticipating on their answers. The friends glanced at each other, shrugged their shoulders, and urged Taemin to speak up for them.

"Yeah, we don't mind going there," Taemin told her. "We don't have any big plans today, so we'll be together with you all day."

"Wait, I kind of wanted to meet Hyunwoo—"

Byunghun forced a smile and quickly wrapped his hand over Jieun's mouth. Eunji, Junhee, and Taemin sighed in the inside, thankful that Byunghun actually did the right thing for once. Dasom blinked her eyes, but continued to smile at them. Then, she nodded her head and turned around.

"Alright, then…? Let's go…?"

 

After hours of riding the bus, walking around, and going on tours, the time had finally come for the students to be released from the teacher's supervision and scatter amongst the area.

"Make sure you all come back at five o'clock! That gives you exactly two hours to explore and by souveniers! Be careful and watch out over how you spend your money!" one of the teachers shouted. However, her voice was clouded by the other students' excited chatters. The kids were already walking away from the teachers, going through shops or temples or other unique exhibits.

Junhee spotted her friends walking over to a small store selling some orange chocolates. She chased after them, but quickly jerked back when someone pulled her. She was just about to scream until she turned around and groaned at the familiar figure in front of her.

"What do you want, Park Chanyeol?" Junhee muttered. She had almost forgotten that he was in the same year as her. Since he was a repeating student, this was his second time going to Jeju Island.

"What? You seem so disappointed," Chanyeol said with a small pout. "C'mon! We're best friends!"

"Since when?" she retorted. She gasped for air when he wrapped his arm around her neck. She stopped breathing when his face was right next to her, his lips almost touching her ear.

"Look, I just want a few pictures of Jieun. It'll help me with my artwork. All I'm asking is to hang out with you a bit," he whispered. His husky voice tickled Junhee, and their close proximiety made her turn bright red. She struggled out of his grasp, but failed to do so.

"Let go, Park Chanyeol!" she shouted.

"So if I let you go, you don't mind me tagging along with your group, right?" He smirked. "The teacher said that as long as I'm in a group, it'd be fine."

"Okay, okay, okay!" She quickly agreed, only wanting to part away from his grip. When he finally released her, she used her hair to cover her red cheeks. "T-They're in there, okay?"

Chanyeol smiled, looking up at where Junhee was pointed at. He made a small frown.

"Um, where?"

"In the—" She stopped and gasped. Her friends were no longer at the shop. They had moved without her. "L-Let me call them…"

I can't believe they ditched me! Junhee exclaimed in her head. She pulled out her phone and began to look through her contact. Once she found a number, she swiped her phone and placed it next to her ear.

"Hello?" the voice on the other line answered.

"Jieun! Where are you guys?" Junhee asked desperately. "I'm lost!"

"We're heading towards the glass museum!" Jieun answered. "Aren't you going to be with that tall dude?"

"You mean Chanyeol? No, I wasn't even planning to be with him!" she cried out. "Why did you leave me?"

"We all thought that you were hanging out with that guy."

"No! I wasn't! Didn't we agree to not leave Dasom's side today?"

"Ah, right. I forgot about that mutual agreement. Hm… You know what? I'm kind of busy right now. Here, I'm going to give the phone to Taemin."

Junhee angrily waited for Taemin to pick up the phone.

"Um, hello?" Taemin answered.

"Taemin! You guys left me alone with Chanyeol!" Junhee exclaimed. Chanyeol's ears perked up when he heard Taemin's name.

"Ah, yeah. Aren't you dating him? Dasom said that we should leave you two alone."

"No, of course I'm not dating him!" Junhee told him. Her cheeks burned when she saw Chanyeol stare at her. I wish we were, though.

"Well, we're almost at the museum. You can come over right now. It's not that far, honestly. We just took a bus and we arrived there in less than three stops. Here, I'll send you the adress to the place with my phone," Taemin said.

Junhee sighed in relief. "Thank you so much, Taemin! You're so realiable—"

Her phone was taken away by Chanyeol, who was right behind her. She glared at him, trying to grab her phone back. However, her short height did nothing against Chanyeol's tall, skinny figure.

"Hello? Hi! I'm Chanyeol, Junhee's friend. Yeah, um, listen, we're capable of finding our way there so don't worry about us." With that, Chanyeol hung up the phone and gave it back to Junhee. "There. Come on, let's go."

Junhee dropped her jaws. "Do you even know where to go?"

"Yeah, yeah. Some museum, right? I've been here last year, and I think I know where we're going," he said.

She was just about to say something until she felt her phoe vibrate. She looked down at her screen, noticing that Taemin had sent her a text. The message consisted of the adress to the museum and a few easy-to-read steps on how to get their. He added a "Just in case" note at the end of the message, as if he knew that whatever Junhee was going to go through next was trouble.

Thank you, Taemin! she cheered, pumping her fist. 

"Junhee! I found a bus that goes to where we're heading!" Chanyeol exclaimed, heading towards a random bus. It was clear that he had no idea where the two were going and where the bus would lead them to. However, he was already running up to the vehicle, and Junhee knew that she would get in trouble if she didn't follow him. She ran after him, getting into the bus and hoping that the mobile would lead them to their destination.

After finding seats, the two kept quiet, waiting for the bus to stop at the museum. It was surprising to notice that there weren't a lot of people on the bus. Normally, the buses in the cities were filled and full of people selfish for seats.

For a few moments, Chanyeol kept glancing at Junhee and watched her play on her phone. She was looking up the adress that Taemin had sent her earlier, hoping that the two wouldn't be too far. She was to occupied with her phone to realize that Chanyeol was clearing his throat loudly to grab her attention.

"Um, Junhee?" he called her slowly. She didn't look him. He poked her arm. "Junhee…?"

"Hold up, Chanyeol. I'm busy," she muttered, scrolling around the map on her smart phone. Chanyeol frowned, then cupped her cheek, forcing her to look up and stare into his eyes.

"Choi Junhee, I'm trying to talk to you!" he exclaimed. He slightly raised his eyebrows when he noticed how red she was getting. "You okay?"

"Y-Yes!" she stuttered, pushing his hands away. "I-I'm fine, okay? What do you want?"

"What were you looking at?" he asked.

"Oh, Taemin texted me the adress to the museum. I'm trying to figure out if this bus is actually taking us to where we need to go," she explained.

Chanyeol scowled. "You seem awfully close with the student council president."

"Taemin? Of course. He's one of my best friends," she said casually. She paused. "Oh, but don't worry. Even though he's also one of Jieun's best friends, those two aren't a thing. He had a crush on her before, but that's officially gone. He has a girlfriend."

Girlfriend? Chanyeol cleared his throat again. "A girlfriend, you say? Doesn't she get jealous?"

"No, not really," she replied.

"Do you get jealous?"

"For what reasons would I be jealous?"

"Don't you have some kind of interest in Taemin?"

Junhee scrunched her nose. "What? No! No, I don't. Taemin's just a good friend who helps me with a lot of stuff."

"Really? I saw that you two spend quite some time with each other. Didn't you talk a lot when you were trying to get the art keys?" he asked, pressing on the topic. By now, Junhee was growing weary of their conversation. Unfortunately, Chanyeol failed to notice.

"I did just as much talking as anyone else would if they were trying to get keys to the classroom," Junhee said, defending herself. "Are you worried that something similiar will happen to Jieun? Trust me, those two don't talk as much as I do with Taemin. Jieun's far more busy thinking about Hyunwoo."

"I'm not worried about Jieun! I'm worried about you!" he declared subconsciously. It took him a few minutes to realize what he had said. His ears turned bright red, but he only looked away. "D-Don't misunderstand! I-It's not like I l-like you or anything! I'm just looking out for a… friend! Yeah, a friend!"

Junhee gazed out the window with a pure, dejected look. "Oh. Okay."

The conversation had died out the moment Chanyeol realized that he had gone too far. He pressed his lips and looked away, frustrated with himself. 

"Look, I didn't mean to make seem like I'm hating Taemin, but I just think that if you want a boyfriend, you shouldn't get so close to him," Chanyeol said.

Junhee let out a sarcastic laugh. "If I want a boyfriend? Please! The guy I like already has a crush on someone else!"

It took a moment for Junhee to realize what she had said. She turned red and turned to look at Chanyeol's reaction. She expected him to look surprised, and even though he did look surprise, he looked like he was disappointmented. The two turned away from each other, unable to exactly comprehend that Junhee had said.

"So…you like someone?" Chanyeol asked slowly.

"D-D-Does it matter?" Junhee stuttered, touching her cheeks. Damn it. They're hot.

"U-Um, well, I guess not. Not really, I guess," he muttered. His shoulders sank. "I guess not…"

After a few more minutes, the two arrived at the museum. Junhee pulled out her cellphone to call, only to discover that her friends were already at the end of the museum. Taemin had told her that the group would be waiting at the end, where Dasom was busy having the girls take pictures of her with their cameras.

They entered the museum, exploring the displays. Everything was made out of glass, but everything was beautiful. As artsy students, Junhee and Chanyeol were immersed with the exihibits. The spectacular objects were inspring enough for Chanyeol itch to draw something and for Junhee to pull out a guitar and sing a song of beauty and fragilness. 

As they made their way out of the building, they followed the crowd and walked on a small road, which was leading the tourists to a particular glass exhibit outside: a large heart-shaped glass. Couples went and posed inside the heart, getting their pictures taken.

How romantic, Junhee thought, awing at the sight of couples kissing or holding hands to pose for the camera. Chanyeol looked down at her, noticing how awestruck she was at the sight of the couples.

She must be thinking about her crush, Chanyeol thought, rubbing the back of his neck. He looked at the heart, but he couldn't exactly picture himself posing with Jieun for a picture. In fact, he kind of wanted to take a picture with Junhee, friends or not.

"Should we take one?" Chanyol asked, glancing at Junhee. She looked up at him.

"We don't have a camera," Junhee pointed out. She was surprised when he pulled out his own camera. 

"I do," he said. "It's a polaroid, though."

"So?"

"Don't you want one?"

Junhee bit her bottom lip. As much as she wanted one, she knew that he was only being nice to her. Besides, holding onto the picture might cause some misunderstanding in some way or another. 

"No, I don't," she lied.

"Oh, um, okay." Chanyeol frowned and stared at his camera. "Still, let's just take a picture. It's for memories, right?"

Okay, but don't you want to take one with Jieun? Junhee wondered. She sighed and shrugged her shoulders. "Whatever. One picture won't hurt."

Chanyeol smiled. He grabbed her wrist and pulled her to her position. He handed his camera over to a stranger, asking him to take a picture of them. 

"Hey, hey, let's make a silly face," Chanyeol said, walking over to Junhee's side.

"What? No!"

"Okay, then how about muscular face?"

"I'm not doing something outrageous like that."

"Then—"

"If you two are awkward with each other, why don't you just hold hands and smile at the camera?" the stranger suggested, noticing how awkward Junhee was. "A lot of new couples do that."

Their faces burned with embarrassment.

"W-We're not exactly a couple," Chanyeol stuttered.

"Oh. I'm sorry. You two just look pretty close," the stranger said. "But even friends do that, too. They hold hands and take pictures."

Chanyeol looked at Junhee. "A-Are you okay with that?"

Junhee nervously gulped. "Y-Yeah. Whatever."

The two awkwardly reached for the other's hand, interwining their fingers together. They were still pretty red, but their self-consciousness prevented them from realizing how embarrassed they were.

"Alright! Look over here! The camera's right here!" the stranger cried out, waving his hand. Junhee and Chanyeol looked up, smiling awkwardly. Counting down, the stranger finally took a picture of the two. A thin piece of polaroid slid out from the camera slot. The stranger walked ovr to the two and handed them the picture and the camera. "You guys look nice. I say that's a keeper."

Chanyeol and Junhee looked down at the picture. Even though they felt awkward, they couldn't help but think that they looked pretty good together. It was a really good picture, and they were glad that they found a good photographer. After giving the strangers their thanks, they parted ways and Junhee and Chanyeol walked forward.

"You sure you don't want it?" Chanyeol asked, raising the photo up the air. "It's a pretty good one."

"It's just for memories, right?" Junhee said. "You can keep it."

"Okay, if you say so," he said. As Junhee walked in front of him, Chanyeol looked down at the picture. A small smile formed up on his lips as he put the photo in his wallet.

That's a great picture, he thought. His hand began to tremble, as if it was tempted to pull out a piece of paper and draw. An inspirational picture, I say!

 

Day 97 - Junhee
The glass museum was nice. Bad things happened along the way, but good things happened when I got there.