Love Fortune

To Trouble Thee

On the first day of the autumn festival, everyone was busy finishing the last preparations to their event. Byunghun didn't have to do much. All he had to do was make sure that the booth was cleaned up and that Dasom was at her spot when she needed to be.

"I look amazing, don't I?" Dasom asked, showing off her mystic purple robe. She laughed proudly as a few girls continued to adjust the robe so that it wouldn't wrinkle. "Watch the love whisperer do her thing!"

"You're pretty excited, huh?" Byunghun said, chuckling.

"Hell yes I am!" she exclaimed. "Watch! I'm going to give them all these great love advices. We're going to have more couples at school." She turned to him. "By the way, how long are you staying?"

"Not for long. Once we set you up, it'll be all on you. I'll be here for the first shift, but then I'll be gone later."

"Aww, you have plans with your girlfriend?"

"Not exactly. I'm planning to surprise her," Byunghun said bashfully.

"Dawww," Dasom teased. "How romantic. I wish I had a boyfriend."

"You have Myungsoo—Ow!" Byunghun rubbed his sore arm, glaring at Dasom for smacking him.

"Don't mention him. Please, I'm begging you," she grunted. "He's been on my head and it's annoying."

Byunghun laughed. "When is Myungsoo off your mind? He's always in there."

"Shut up," Dasom muttered, turning red.

 

"…Hey Sohyun. Aren't you worried that your boyfriend is going to break up with you any time?"

Sohyun stopped reading the script to their class's musical. She looked up and stared at Niel, who was sitting besides her, flipping through the script. He glanced at her, waiting for her response.

"Why would I be worried about that?" she asked him slowly. 

"Well, now that you're going to be in a girl's basketball team, aren't you afraid that you two aren't going to meet up often?" he asked.

"We can work something out. Byunghun is someone who'll keep an open mind and understand it if I'm ever busy," she said.

"Okay, but what if he gets interested in other girls?" Niel inquired.

"Like who?"

Niel looked up at the ceilings. "Like…Oh! Eunji! You know, the basketball club's manager?"

"Eunji?" Sohyun laughed. "No, no! Those two are just friends!"

"But he has a thing for basketball managers, doesn't he?" Naeun asked, joining the two's conversation. She looked at Sohyun. "I heard that before you, he had a huge crush on the former basketball manager. Coincidentally, the next person he fell in love with was you, a basketball manager."

"But we're actually dating," she countered. "He wasn't dating Sunyoung."

"Yeah, but boys can change in a blink of an eye," Naeun said, snapping her fingers. "I mean, Byunghun has, like, three other candidates besides Eunji, right?"

"What?"

"Oh yeah. There's Jieun," Niel said.

"But Jieun is obsessed with Hyunwoo," Naeun said. "The whole school knows that." She frowned, then snapped her fingers again. "How about Junhee?"

"Nah, Junhee is off limits," he said. He paused. "What about Dasom?"

"Oh my gosh. Dasom? Kim Dasom? She is so pretty. I won't be surprised if Byunghun falls in love with her. She's, like, the goddess of love."

Sohyun blinked her eyes as the two continued to praise Dasom's beauty. Yes, Dasom was beautiful. All the guys always said that if they had to date any of the girls, it would be Dasom for her looks. However, she didn't think that Byunghun would be interested…would he?

"I-I'm sure that there's nothing going on between them right now," Sohyun stuttered, slightly unsure of herself.

"But what about in the past?" Niel asked. "I mean, you only know a little about him. Do you know anything about his past?"

"Ooh. I heard that Taemin used to like Jieun in the past," Naeun said a bit too loudly. "I also heard that Taemin broke up with Soojung a while back. I wonder if it's because he has a thing for Jieun again?"

The trio heard a small thud! on the stage. They looked up and noticed that Soojung dropped a box full of supplies. 

"Oh? Soojung! What are you doing here?" Niel asked. "You're not in our class!"

"U-Um, supplies," Soojung muttered, causing the group to frown in confusion. She quickly handed the box to a random classmate and ran out of the theater.

The trio looked at her back in an odd manner before looking back at the stage, where they saw that people were taking out last-minute decorations from the box. After a moment, they resumed to their conversation and focused on Sohyun.

"So you really think that he won't break up with you?" Niel asked her.

"Yes," Sohyun murmured.

"I wouldn't keep my hopes up that high, Sohyun," Naeun said. "They say that it's bad too be too obnoxious with love."

"I wonder why that hasn't taken any effect on you," Niel muttered. He looked away when she shot him a cruel glare.

"Anyways," Naeun continued bitterly, "you should seriously, like, do something with Byunghun. You've got to secure him in your hands."

"Secure him?" Sohyun repeated, becoming confused.

"Yeah, secure him! Mm…" Naeun frowned for a moment, trying to come up with a good example. "It's like…when you hold a basketball! You've got to hold it firmly so someone doesn't snatch it away."

"But Byunghun isn't a basketball—"

"He's got a rubber brain," Naeun interrupted. "It's a good enough example."

"He's not dumb," Sohyun said, offended.

"Do you believe that?" Niel asked. "If anything, you hardly know anything about him except for the fact that you two love basketball."

"You should ask him about his past," Naeun said. "He's pretty popular, you know? He might've dated someone seriously."

Sohyun kept quiet. She only went back to script-reading, trying to clear her thoughts of any doubt she had in Byunghun. However, the two continued to talk about Byunghun's potential ex-lovers, causing her to feel uneasy and small in the inside.

 

"You idiot! I see fool's blood in your veins! As a man, you should've said…!"

Byunghun and the group in charge of Dasom's booth held a tight expression as they listened to her scream and shout at the innocent male student who revealed that he was in a fight with her girlfriend. The rule was that the group had to make sure that nothing happened to Dasom and were in charge of special effects, such as using the fog machine or making the fortune teller ball light up when she starts chanting. However, they weren't sure whether jumping in and saving the poor customer was part of the rule. If anything, they all knew that it wasn't right for Dasom to raise her voice and make the whole world hear about what a jerk the boy was.

"You go and do something," one of Byunghun's classmates whispered.

"Me? Why me?" Byunghun whispered back. "Do you know how hard it is to keep Dasom out of rage? Once she starts, you need to watch her roll it all out."

"You're her friend! Do something!" another classmate whispered.

"What do you want me to do? Bring her to the back?" he asked. "For your information, she's supposed to be here all day. She's the only one who has the skills to do this! I mean, did you hear her talk? 'I see fool's blood in your veins.' Fool's blood. Fool's. Blood. Who says fool's blood?"

"Do something, Lee Byunghun!" the group whispered, ready to force him out of back and into the booth.

He groaned. "Just wait a few minutes. I'm sure she'll calm down…"

"Lee Byunghun!" the group exclaimed. Without his permission, they forced him to wear a cloak and pushed him inside the booth, covering his face with the large hood.

Shocked, Byunghun stood still when he saw Dasom holding the student by his collar, shaking him until he started sobbing. Dasom stopped momentarily when she saw Byunghun inside the booth, but continued to shake and lecture the boy who mumbled apologies.

"Who're you apologizing to? Me? Oh, hell no! You are not apologizing to me! You should be apologizing to your girlfriend!" Dasom gave him one final shake. "Repeat after me! 'I will go to my girlfriend and apologize and do what she likes!'"

"'I mwill go to meh gurlfriem an apomogize an do mwat she lwikes…'"

"Clearly!" Dasom yelled.

"T-There, there, Dasom," Byunghun said slowly, creeping up to the boy. "Put your hands down and let the guy go…"

"I'm not going to let someone like him roam around with this kind of face!" Dasom shouted.

"I thought you were going to make love happen, not destroy love," he whispered to Dasom in a harsh tone.

"You need to knock some sense into people like him!" she yelled.

"Alright, alright. Enough," Byunghun said. "You're switching with me."

"I can't believe—Wait, what?" Dasom released her grip on the guy. The guy fell on his knees, sobbing while Byunghun handed him some tissues. "Why are you switching with me?"

"You were practically shouting all these private information that the guy was giving you. You're supposed to be a fortune teller, not a fortune breaker," he said. He turned to the boy. "I'm so sorry about that! Here's five extra tickets for compensation."

The boy immediately stopped. He wiped away his tears, took the tickets, and ran off while shouting curses at Dasom. Dasom dropped her jaws and ran after him, ready to teach him a lesson.

Byunghun stood still in the booth, dumbfounded. The fortune teller was gone, but the event was still going. One of his classmate opened the curtains.

"Dasom! You have another person," the person said without looking up at Byunghun.

"No, wait, I'm not Dasom—"

"Byunghun!"

He turned around and looked at his group, who whispered and gestured him to sit down. He stared at the seat, then pointed at himself. When the group nodded, he shook his head, but gasped and sat down when the curtains opened again. He cleared his throat and covered his face more with the hood, hoping that the next person didn't recognize him.

Oh my gosh, he thought, I'm playing the love fortune teller. Oh gosh.

"Pst! Byunghun! Greet the guest!" someone from the back whispered.

"W-Welcome," Byunghun murmured, raising his pitch. "I see a, uh, lost soul that wants…love…"

"How'd you know?"

Byunghun froze. He recognized that voice. He'd recognize it anywhere he went. He looked up and stared saw Sohyun sitting right in front of him. She gave him an innocent look, but squinted her eyes to see him better. He stiffened and lowered his head to stare at the fortune ball.

"Um, uh, lucky gue—ghost! A lucky ghost told me," Byunghun said. How does Dasom do all this?

"It must be because I'm feeling a bit worried over my relationship with my boyfriend," she said softly.

Wait. Is she talking about me? he wondered. We had problems? I thought we were good!

"Um, care to share?" he asked.

"Isn't this place supposed to, like, give me advice after 'looking into my fortune?'"

"Um…" Byunghun thought hard for an excuse. "That was, uh…the other fortune teller. She was, um, my master. So I'm, well, like her apprentice." There was an awkward silence. "I can't look into the future as well as my master so you'll have to tell me yours and I'll have to make it up."

Sohyun stared at him for a long time before letting out a sigh. He flinched and continued to look down the ball, staring at his reflection.

"Well," she started.

She fell for it! Byunghun exclaimed.

"Recently, I've been told that my boyfriend might not stay loyal to me…"

"Who said that?" he cried out. He gasped when he felt her stare at him. He cleared his throat. "G-Go on."

"Anyways…I've realized that I don't really know much about my boyfriend. He's sweet and nice—" Byunghun felt his heart skip a beat. "—but do I really know that? Like, what if he still likes his past crushes? Did he date someone? He has a lot of female friends, but are they really just friends or do they have a special past with him?" She paused, then let out a small laugh. "Or maybe I'm just stupid for thinking about something ridiculous as this…"

Byunghun kept quiet. He could sense that his girlfriend felt uneasy. A part of him wished that she would just believe in him and trust that he loves her, but another part understood her feelings and wanted to give her a hug. He wanted to tell her that he loved her, but…

Wait a minute. He stopped his trail of thoughts. He knew he said that he liked her and supported her, but did he ever say that he loved her? 

"Maybe this whole thing is stupid," Sohyun murmured, looking at the dark walls. "Maybe I'm just wasting my time here."

"Your boyfriend," Byunghun said as confidence arose in his voice, "loves you very much." Sohyun sat still and continued to listen. "Although he might've never said that he loves you, he does. He might've had a date with one of his friends, but he can assure you that it was just a one-time thing and lasted five-minutes." The fortune ball started to glow. "He can also confidently say that he has moved on from his past crush because he knows that she is in good hands with another man, and he only wishes for her happiness. He will not sway, so please don't fret over him leaving." In a quiet voice, he added, "If anything, he is the one who is worried that you will leave his side some day, but doesn't think about it much because he will do anything to keep loving you."

There was a quiet pause. The fortune ball glowed and fog started to cover their knees. Byunghun felt his cheeks heat up as he indirectly confessed his feelings towards his girlfriend. He was thankful for the cloak's large hoodie. There was no way that Sohyun would've figured out who he was—

A pair of arms reached over and removed the covering. Byunghun widened his eyes and saw Sohyun's plump cheeks become deep red as she stared at him with a pout. His heart skipped another beat as she leaned closer to him. Then, without a warning, she flicked his forehead, causing him to yelp in pain.

"Ow!" he cried out. "What was that for?"

He stopped complaining when she came over and wrapped her arms around him. He looked down at her, then slowly her hair to comfort her.

"Idiot," she murmured in his chest, "why didn't you just say that it was you?"

"How'd you figure out that it was me?" he asked.

"You sounded sincere," she said. "You always sound sincere."

"Pft. Seriously, how'd you know it was me?" he repeated.

"I don't know. I just knew," she said. After a small pause, she added, "I love you."

Byunghun gave her a gentle smile. "I love you, too, Sohyun. I love you very much."

The two hugged for a bit longer, forgetting where they were. Someone from the back cleared their throat, trying to break the two apart. The couple blushed and parted ways, shyly looking away from each other. 

"I-I should go," Sohyun stuttered.

"And I should, um, go back to doing my job," Byunghun stammered.

Sohyun smiled. "See you later?"

"Soon, I hope," he said, grinning. Sohyun nodded her head in agreement. She turned around, ready to leave, until Byunghun grabbed her wrist. "Wait!"

She stopped and looked at him. "What's wrong?"

Before she had the chance to say anything else, he bent down and kissed her. She widened her eyes, shocked, but slowly closed them to kiss him back. Then, she gently pulled away, embarrassed, while Byunghun only smiled.

"See you soon, Sohyun," he said. 

"S-See you!" she stuttered again. She rushed out of the booth, feeling hot and self-conscious.

Byunghun returned to his position and slipped his hood back on his head. As he wanted for the next person to come, he let out a small chuckle, thinking about how cute his girlfriend was and how he didn't regret a single thing.

 

Day 305-Byunghun
First day of the autumn festival. Kissed my girlfriend in the fortune teller's booth. I think she's extra cute these days.